Nevermore the Shadow Fiend is a ranged agility Hero possessing abilities that inflict superb burst damage from varying distances. Whether near or far, Shadow Fiend is able to release incredible offensive power, both physical and magical. Shadow Fiend's true power comes from the souls he takes, thus, he is more dangerous every time he kills. With enough souls, he can release all of the captured souls in a devastating burst, dealing more damage to enemies that are closer to him. Shadow Fiend is a carry who is powerful at all stages of the game, a trait most carries don't share. He can harass and conquer early game, gank unsuspecting Heroes during the mid stages, and has huge right-click potential lategame thanks to his passives, although his active abilities scale off by the end-game.
actually casting Requiem.
- While laning, try to use Shadowraze to harass your opponent as well as kill creeps.
- Use Shadowraze early if you're having trouble building souls; 100 damage from level 1 Shadowraze is higher than the 35-41 base attack damage you start with.
- Shadowraze and Necromastery should be maxed before leveling Requiem of souls, as the first one is your main nuke and Requiem doesn't do much damage without full souls.
- Remember that Necromastery receives souls from all kills, including denies.
- Skipping Slippers of Agility to instead get Clarity potions allows you to last hit using Shadowraze until you have a decent amount of right-click damage.
- Wraith Band can be replaced with a Bracer for more health if needed, you can also upgrade it to a Drum of Endurance for added movement speed and attack speed and +9 to all of your attributes.
- Blink Dagger is usually built to help position your Requiem and Razes, and it also functions well as an escape/chasing mechanism. Shadow Blade is easier to build and a simpler alternative, but lacks the instant initiation like a blink dagger will do; it is also countered with invisibility detection.
- In team fights, after you get Blink Dagger, let someone else initiate, blink in and cast Requiem when the opposing team is already concentrated in a small area.
- Easy jungle creeps take but a few Shadowrazes to kill and offer an easy way to boost Necromastery in a tough mid lane or after a death. If you become physically weak and cannot risk taking any more damage in the laning phase, you may consider pushing the lane out far enough to let you quickly visit the jungle.
- Use Shadowraze to chase melee heroes when they are running in a straight line.
- At very close ranges, Requiem can deal massive damage to non-magic immune targets. However, the Slow and damage reduction of the spell both penetrate magic immunity, and are the same at all levels. Unless you really need to kill someone very quickly, it is best to cast requiem so that it will hit all enemies instead of doing large damage to just a few.
- Shadow Fiend's alternate/fun name in DotA was "YaphetS", a tribute to a professional DotA player who skillfully used Nevermore.
- Voice responses between Shadow Fiend, Shadow Demon and Doom suggest that he was once a minion or slave of the latter. This is supported by Shadow Demon's lore stating that Doom and Shadow Fiend had joined forces against him.
- The name "Nevermore" likely refers to the poem "The Raven" by Edgar Allen Poe. This is also referenced in his bio.
- The voice response Play "Never say Nevermore..." is in reference to the James Bond movie "Never say never again".
- Apart for popular demand by fans, Shadow Fiend's model rework may have also been done to adhere to certain countries' censorship laws, namely the Chinese client.
- Reworked Shadow Fiend's model.
- Updated Presence of the Dark Lord icon to match the new model
- Updated Requiem of Souls sound effect (Play Old sound, Play New sound).
- Fixed casting subsequent Shadowrazes being too slow.
- Fixed gaining souls while dead.
- Fixed gaining souls from killing illusions.
- Updated vision values on these abilities: Unstable Concoction, Phantasm, Waveform, Storm Hammer, Mirror Image, Spirit Lance, Requiem of Souls, Spectral Dagger, [ Venomous Gale, Earthbind, Dream Coil, Shackleshot, Wall of Replica, Flamebreak, Deafening Blast, Ghost Ship.
- Fixed Necromastery loss count for odd numbers.
- Added additional dialog for Earthshaker, Pudge, Storm Spirit, Shadow Fiend, and Doombringer.
- Fixed Requiem of Souls travel distance being too small.
- Fixed base HP regeneration (0.25->0.5).
- Updated Nevermore's Requiem of Souls.
- Added an effect for Nevermore's Necromastery.
- [Undocumented] Updated the particle effect for Shadow Fiend's Requiem of Souls.
- Updated Nevermore's animations.
- Fixed Presence of the Dark Lord not working on siege units.
- Nevermore's Requiem of Souls will now properly break him out of invisibility 1 second after the cast has begun.
- Fixed cast fx/sounds being spammable on nevermore/zeus ultimates
- Updated Nevermore model.
- Fixed a bug where if you pressed "stop" or "hold position" while casting certain abilities (such as Nevermore's Shadow Raze), you would resume your previous movement command.
- Fixed losing charges when reincarning.
- Changed the turn rates for other heroes to fit better with the new nevermore turn rate values. This should bring the feel of turning closer to Dota1. Opened up the action windows such that timing for actions should be unaffected.
- Nevermore icon and portrait fix.
- Fixed Requiem of Souls summoning a Balrog of bad perf if nevermore created illusions.
- Fixed a bug where Requiem wouldn't hit units that were in the AOE at the start of the spell.
- Fixed Requiem of Souls opening a rift to the hell and causing the framerate demons to attack clients.
- Fixed positioning of Nevermore's Requiem projectiles.
- Armor reduction from Nevermore's Presence is not applied if you can't see Nevermore.
- Optimized Requiem's network usage. It should use 10% of the bandwidth it used before when creating all the projectiles/effects.
- 3 New Heroes! Nevermore, Enchantress. and Leshrac.
- Shadowraze damage increased from 75/150/225/300 to 100/175/250/325
- Necromastery soul cap increased from 12/20/28/36 to 15/22/29/36
- Requiem of Souls
- The debuff is now applied when the wave hits units instead of in a slightly smaller area independently
- Slow increased from 20% to 25%
- Requiem of Souls
- Secondary debuff now affects magic immune units.
- Requiem of Souls
- Slow rescaled from 15/20/25% to 20%.
- Damage reduction increased from 15/20/25% to 50%.
- Necromastery hero kill soul increment increased from 6 to 12.
- Presence of the Dark Lord armor reduction improved from 2/3/4/5 to 3/4/5/6.
- Requiem of Souls has a new passive component that triggers upon death:
- Upon dying half of Shadow Fiend's souls (the amount lost on death) will be released as if you had cast Requiem of Souls with those souls. This cast doesn't put the spell on cooldown and will trigger if it is on cooldown. It is now a passive component of the ability.
- Necromastery now gives 6 souls for killing a hero (instead of 1).
- Necromastery soul count increased from 8/16/24/32 to 12/20/28/36.
- Movement speed increased from 300 to 305.
- Agility growth increased from 2.4 to 2.9.
- Necromastery soul cap increased from 8/15/23/30 to 8/16/24/32.
- Improved Presence of the Dark Lord armor reduction (1/2/3/4->2/3/4/5).
- Reduced Shadowraze AOE
- Increased Shadow Fiend's movement speed
- Improved Presence of the Dark Lord AOE
- Reduced mana cost and slightly increase AOE on Shadowraze
- Nevermore's attack range from 500 to 450
- Slightly increased the speed that the souls come out in Requiem of souls
- Improved Requiem of Souls a little and added a secondary effect
- Changed the learn skip for necromastry so its like his other skills.
- Changed Dark Flame to a new ability
- Nevermore maintains half Necromastery damage on death.
- Few other minor buffs to Nevermore
- Rebased Shadowraze to not cancel previous action
Old Low Violence Model