Nevermore, the Shadow Fiend, is a ranged agility hero possessing abilities that inflict superb burst damage from varying distances. Whether near or far, Shadow Fiend is able to release incredible offensive power, both physical and magical. Shadow Fiend's true power comes from the souls he takes, making him more dangerous every time he kills. With enough souls, he can release all of the captured souls in a devastating burst, dealing more damage to enemies that are closer to him. Shadow Fiend is a carry who is powerful at all stages of the game, a trait most carries don't share. He can harass and conquer the early game, gank unsuspecting heroes during the mid-stages of the game, and has huge right-click potential in the late game thanks to his passives, although his active abilities scale off by the end-game.
Bio[edit | edit source]
|Nevermore, the Shadow Fiend|
|Play "So, you're curious where I come from? There's one easy way to find out for yourself."|
|Role:||Carry / Nuker|
|Lore:||It is said that Nevermore the Shadow Fiend has the soul of a poet, and in fact he has thousands of them. Over the ages he has claimed the souls of poets, priests, emperors, beggars, slaves, philosophers, criminals and (naturally) heroes; no sort of soul escapes him. What he does with them is unknown. No one has ever peered into the Abysm whence Nevermore reaches out like an eel from among astral rocks. Does he devour them one after another? Does he mount them along the halls of an eldritch temple, or pickle the souls in necromantic brine? Is he merely a puppet, pushed through the dimensional rift by a demonic puppeteer? Such is his evil, so intense his aura of darkness, that no rational mind may penetrate it. Of course, if you really want to know where the stolen souls go, there's one sure way to find out: Add your soul to his collection. Or just wait for Nevermore.|
|Voice:||John Patrick Lowrie (Responses)|
Abilities[edit | edit source]
- All three Shadowraze spells are always on the same level. Leveling one of them automatically levels the others as well.
- Shadowraze (Near) blasts a 250 radius area 200 range in front of Nevermore upon cast.
- This means that it can hit units up to 50 range behind Shadow Fiend, and up to 450 range in front of him.
- All three razes together can deal up to 300/525/750/975 ( 675/900/1125/1350) damage to a single unit (before reductions), if all of them hit.
debuff placed on heroes is used to count successive Shadowraze hits. It lasts for 3 seconds.
- Although only the Demon Eater cosmetic item makes use of it, the counter is always placed.
- Shadowraze (Medium) blasts a 250 radius area 450 range in front of Nevermore upon cast.
- This means that it can hit units from 200 to 700 range in front of Shadow Fiend.
- Shadowraze (Far) blasts a 250 radius area 700 range in front of Nevermore upon cast.
- This means that it can hit units from 450 to 950 range in front of Shadow Fiend.
- Can get souls from every unit, including wards and allies, excluding illusions, Tempest Double
s and buildings.
- Despite the visual effects, Shadow Fiend instantly gains the soul and thus the damage of killed units.
- The number of current souls is visible on the status buff icon.
- If Shadow Fiend has an odd number of souls upon death, the number of lost souls is rounded down.
- This means that he never can lose all his souls. He still keeps 1 soul, even when dying while only having 1 soul.
- The more souls Shadow Fiend has, the more red particles fly around his chest area.
- The maximum possible amount of souls with each level of Necromastery provides 36/48/60/72 ( 44/60/76/92) bonus damage.
- When dying while holding Aegis of the Immortal
no souls are lost.
- The extra souls from Aghanim's Scepter
do affect the number of lines created by Requiem of Souls .
- It effectively increases the number of possible lines from 9/12/15/18 to 11/15/19/23.
- When dropping Aghanim's Scepter, Shadow Fiend keeps his souls even when having more than the default allowed amount.
- This means Requiem of Souls still releases more lines even when not holding the Scepter.
- However, the attack damage bonus adapts immediately and does not account the extra souls when not holding the Scepter.
- The armor reduction is provided by an aura. Its debuff lingers for 0.5 seconds.
- Has no effect on enemies that have no vision of Shadow Fiend, thus, it shows no debuff icon on them either.
- The damaging lines travel at a speed of 700, taking 1.43 seconds to reach the max distance.
- Shadow Fiend is phased while casting this ability.
- The damage is entirely based on the amount of souls gathered with Necromastery
. Each 2 souls create 1 damaging line.
- If an odd number of souls are gathered, the number gets rounded down to the next even number.
- The area of every single damaging line is shaped like a cone.
- Damaging lines can hit units up to 1425 range away (1000 travel distance + 425 end width).
- The distance between the damaging lines is always even. One line is always released towards east and the others adapt accordingly.
- So the distance between the lines on each amount of lines is:
- 2 lines: 180°, 3 lines: 120°, 4 lines: 90°, 5 lines: 72°, 6 lines: 60°, 7 lines: 51.43°, 8 lines: 45°, 9 lines: 40°, 10 lines: 36°,
- 11 lines: 32.73°, 12 lines: 30°, 13 lines: 27.69°, 14 lines: 25.71°, 15 lines: 24°, 16 lines: 22.5°, 17 lines: 21.18°, 18 lines: 20°
- ( 19 lines: 18.95°, 20 lines: 18°, 21 lines: 17.14°, 22 lines: 16.36°, 23 lines: 15.65°)
- Reduces movement speed and attack damage of all enemy units hit by the damaging lines of Requiem of Souls.
- Only reduces base damage and that given by the primary attribute of affected units. Raw bonus damage is not reduced.
- Can deal up to 1440/2160/2880 ( 1840/2760/3680) damage to a single unit (before reductions), if all lines hit.
- Upon death, Requiem of Souls is cast automatically and instantly, regardless of mana and cooldown.
- Shadow Fiend first loses 50% of his souls before this happens. So this passive requiem can only have 9 ( 11) lines at max.
- If Shadow Fiend had 1 soul left upon death, it still releases 1 line, despite requiring at least 2 souls when normally cast.
- When dying while holding Aegis of the Immortal
no passive Requiem of Souls is released.
- When having Aghanim's Scepter
, after reaching their max distance, each line starts moving back to Shadow Fiend.
- Despite the visual effects, the lines do not "respawn" around Shadow Fiend. They start moving back exactly where they stopped.
- The lines return to Shadow Fiend's current location, not to the location he originally cast the spell from.
- The lines do not adapt to new locations if Shadow Fiend moves. Once they started to return, their path cannot be further altered.
- The max travel distance applies to the lines also upon returning, meaning they travel a total distance of 2000.
- The width of the lines is reversed upon returning: They start with maximum width and get thinner towards the end.
- Lines from the passive Requiem of Souls released on death do not return.
- The returning lines deal 40% damage. They hit all units regularly like the expanding lines and also apply the debuff.
- The returning lines can deal up to 736/1104/1472 damage to a single unit (before reductions), if all lines hit.
- Together with the expanding lines, Requiem of Souls can deal up to 2576/3864/5152 damage to a single unit (before reductions).
- The heal is only based on the damage dealt by the returning lines, not by the initial expanding lines.
- Only heals from damage dealt to heroes, including illusions. The heal is applied as soon as the lines stop moving.
- Always heals for 32/48/64 health per hit, regardless of how much damage the lines actually did.
Talents[edit | edit source]
| +125 Shadowraze
||25||+150 Attack Range|
| +2 Damage per Necromastery
|+175 Health||15||+6% Spell Amplification|
|+20 Attack Speed||10||+15 Movement Speed|
- Upgrading health increases maximum health capacity and keeps the current health percentage.
- The lifesteal is not a unique attack modifier and fully stacks with other sources of lifesteal.
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
provide the necessary health regeneration to help you staying in lane.
- Healing Salve
can save Shadow Fiend when activated at the last moment.
- Slippers of Agility
compensate for your low starting damage by allowing you to last hit easier in the laning phase. The more last hits you get, the stronger you become, so this is important.
lets Shadow Fiend use Shadowraze more often in lane, helping him build up his Necromastery.
- Magic Stick
will help supplement mana for casting Shadowraze.
is crucial for surviving in lane, and capturing runes.
- Ring of Aquila
will give you decent early stats, but more importantly, the mana regen means you can cast Shadowraze more often.
- Infused Raindrop
will provide you with the mana regen to sustain Shadowrazes throughout the jungle, as well as provide a little bit of tankiness with the magic damage absorption.
- Magic Wand
will save inventory space and provide a small attribute bonus.
- Power Treads
increase your damage per second and can also be used for extra survivability.
- Black King Bar
provides good HP and damage, but more importantly, can be used to ensure Requiem of Souls is not interrupted.
- Shadow Blade
provides Shadow Fiend with an escape mechanism, and helps him position for Requiem of Souls. The invisibility fade time means you won't be visible until you're close to actually casting Requiem of Souls. Using this item and getting directly on top of an enemy and unleashing your ultimate will usually lead to a one-hit kill.
- Dragon Lance
gives additional attack range and stats and stacks with level 25 talent.
- Eye of Skadi
grants a massive attribute bonus. In addition, its attack modifier's slow pierces spell immunity, ensuring enemies cannot kite you too easily.
- Assault Cuirass
increases your team's DPS and survivability while reducing the other team's DPS and survivability. The armor reduction aura also stacks with Presence of the Dark Lord.
increases damage output and scales well into the late game.
allows Shadow Fiend to quickly regain health during late game teamfights.
, in combination with a maximized Presence of the Dark Lord, reduces an attacked enemy's armor by 13, increasing the physical damage it takes even further.
- Silver Edge
is a natural upgrade from Shadow Blade , and provides a decent break mechanism.
increases your DPS and makes you much more survivable against enemy carries who are reliant on their physical attacks.
- Diffusal Blade
improves Shadow Fiend's physical attacks, providing a boost to agility as well as allowing his attacks to burn mana. The active can purge enemies. It is very good mid-game-oriented choice.
- Monkey King Bar
increases your damage, counters enemies with evasion, and gives your physical attacks the chance to mini-bash.
- Boots of Travel
is commonly picked up during the late game to push lanes and move around the map more efficiently.
- Aghanim's Scepter
greatly increases the damage from Requiem of Souls, and raises Necromastery's maximum soul count.
- Manta Style
is good for disjointing and confusing enemies, giving Shadow Fiend a little extra time to deal damage. It is also excellent for attacking towers and buildings.
- Blink Dagger
gives Shadow Fiend some much needed mobility, and can be used to jump into fights with Requiem of Souls.
- Eul's Scepter of Divinity
can be used to cyclone an enemy, giving Shadow Fiend the time to charge Requiem of Souls and hit the enemy upon landing. It is also a great counter to heroes that rely on Blink Dagger to get away since enemy heroes will take 50 damage upon landing.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Audio[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Shadow Fiend's alternate/fun name in DotA was "YaphetS", a tribute to a professional DotA player who skillfully used Nevermore.
- The name "Nevermore" likely refers to the poem The Raven by Edgar Allen Poe. This is also referenced in his bio.
- The voice response Play "Never say Nevermore..." is in reference to the James Bond movie "Never say never again".
- Apart for popular demand by fans, Shadow Fiend's model rework may have also been done to adhere to certain countries' censorship laws, namely the Chinese client.