Shadow Demon is a menacing ranged Intelligence hero who is most powerful in the early game for his strong set of spells. Disruption will take an enemy out of the fight, banishing them to a shadowy world and returning on the present world, along with two demonic illusions. Soul Catcher can curse his victim with vulnerability. The cursed target takes more damage from attacks and spells and his Shadow Poison can harass any unfortunate foe he encounters, slowly infecting them and dealing more when afflicted with the poison again and again, until the Shadow Demon chooses to take the poison to its full effect, bursting out the collected poison. Demonic Purge, his ultimate, is his key to a successful kill, the Shadow Demon greatly slows down his fleeing victim and removes all buffs of his enemy, crippling and weakening them. His spells also serve as a great support for his allies as well as a great way to gank. With a great start, the Shadow Demon will begin to dominate the battle. An ancient being of evil and darkness, Shadow Demon will soon rise again and conquer, bringing the world to despair and destruction.
 Recommended items
|This article or section may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Dota 2 Wiki's quality standards.
You can help. The discussion page may contain suggestions.
Reason given: Please refer to the style guide.
Mana in the form of arcane boots and other int boosting items are necessary only if you plan on using Shadow Poison largely, otherwise any other form of boots will usually suffice, even un-upgraded, but Boots of Travel are always useful for assisting allies elsewhere in the map.
Dagon works well with Soul Catcher, but it's recommended to leave it at level 1 to invest in other support items afterwards.
Support items like Pipe, Shiva's, Necronomicon, Mekansm, Eul's, and Scythe of Vyse are helpful no matter the hero, but in particular, Eul's can synergize with Disruption to extend the length of the effect. Necronomicon's summons can be used to deal extra damage on a hero affected by Soul Catcher.
- If you are facing a hero with a strong orb effect like Anti-Mage in the lane, use Disruption on them often and force them to flee from the illusions.
- Shadow Poison becomes more lethal when stacked up to 5 or more, with this, you can destroy enemies heroes in the lane, even in the earliest stages. However, the mana cost is great and you should learn to control your mana or buy mana-boosting items for you to perform.
- Soul Catcher synergizes extremely well with single-target nukes, such as Finger of Death, Laguna Blade, or Dagon.
- Soul Catcher is extremely effective in conjunction with Pure damage spells since they ignore any kind of magic armor and are amplified.
- Disruption can save you or teammates from incoming damage and spells.
- Disruption can be used to help teammates land spells such as Torrent, Light Strike Array and even Sun Strike or Slithereen Crush. When combined with Soul Catcher, this makes for a powerful ganking combination.
- In Dota, Shadow Demon's hero name was Eredar. This was removed in his transition to Dota 2 to avoid copyright issues with Blizzard as the Eredar are a race of magic wielders from the Warcraft universe.
- Shadow Demon's fun/aternate name was "Giblet", innards of birds that are used in cooking.
 Update history
- Fixed some ability Backswing timing issues ( Kunkka, Clockwerk, Timbersaw, Meepo, Pudge, Spirit Breaker, Sand King, Riki, Nyx Assassin, Lion, Pugna, Shadow Demon, Batrider).
- Fixed several "missing lane" line bugs for Puck, Mirana, Meepo, Lina, Keeper, Shadow Demon, and Windrunner.
- [Undocumented] Added spawn animations for Earthshaker, Night Stalker, Shadow Demon, Tidehunter, Tinker.
- [Undocumented] Added teleport start and end animations for Earthshaker, Pudge, Night Stalker, Shadow Demon, Tidehunter, Tinker.
- Fixed Soul Catcher being dispellable.
- Fixed Shadow Poison impact damage not hurting Disrupted units (and thus not disabling Blink).
- [Undocumented] Added rune symbols to Shadow Demon's cape texture.
- Updated Shadow Demon's Shadow Poison projectile effect.
- Updated the effects for Shadow Demon's Shadow Poison.
- Enabled Shadow Demon in Captain's Mode.
- Fixed attack animation time.
- Fixed Disruption being castable on Warlock's Golem.
- Improvements made to some of Shadow Demon's effects.
- [Undocumented] Added alternate attack animation.
 Balance changelog
- Shadow Poison AoE increased from 180 to 190.
- Base Intelligence decreased by 3.
- Shadow Poison no longer gives vision over the targets with the debuff.
- Shadow Poison cooldown decreased from 3 to 2.75.
- Soul Catcher manacost increased from 50 to 50/60/70/80.
- Shadow Poison AoE increased from 150 to 180.
- Disruption cast range decreased from 700 to 600.
- Manacost increased from 75 to 120.
- Cooldown rescaled from 16 to 25/22/19/16.
- Illusion duration rescaled from 6 to 5/6/7/8.
Low Violence model
 See also