From Dota 2 Wiki
| Shadow Blade|
|The blade of a fallen king, it allows you to move unseen and strike from the shadows.|
- Does not interrupt the user's channeling spells upon cast.
- The bonus damage is directly added to the attack damage, so it can be reduced with e.g. Enfeeble or Static Link.
- During the fade time, the user can cast spells, use items and perform attacks without breaking the invisibility.
- Those attacks do apply the 175 damage to the target.
- The invisibility is lost upon reaching the cast point of spells, or upon finishing an attack (for ranged heroes upon projectile launch).
- This means when the attack misses, the invisibility is still lost.
- Allows the user to pass through other units, including wards, but not through buildings.
- The user can pick up and drop items without breaking the invisibility.
- Shares cooldown with Silver Edge.
Recommended heroesMonkey King
- Shadow Blade is very useful for Monkey King to gank with 4 charges of Jingu Mastery.
- Shadow Blade is useful as both an engagement tool and as an escape option for Furion. It allows him to have physical burst and is usable during Teleportation, allowing you to escape safely as long as the enemy has no True Sight or AoE disables.
- Dragon Knight can use Shadow Blade as a tool to initiate. One can use Elder Dragon Form, use Shadow Blade, break out of Invisibility with an attack, and then immediately use Dragon Tail, disabling the target for a long while and doing a lot of damage.
- Shadow Fiend can nearly instantly kill an enemy by using Shadow Walk, standing on top of an enemy due to the Phasing effect, and then using Requiem of Souls. If positioned properly, the enemy will be hit by almost every soul released by your Ultimate for massive Magic Damage. Be careful of Sentry Wards and other True Sight when doing so, however.
- Due to Tiny's high Attack Damage, breaking out of Invisibility with an attack and then following up with an Avalanche- Toss combo can one-shot most Heroes early in the game. This combo uses a lot of Mana, so it's best to do this at full Mana early.
- An easy way to increase the damage of Tidebringer is to simply break Invis with an attack when the ability is off-cooldown. An additional 175 Damage to your Cleave that cannot be reduced by Armor in an AoE allows Kunkka to deal considerably more damage in teamfights.
- Lina can kill enemies very quickly with the additional Physical Damage from Shadow Walk alongside her high Magic Damage. If an enemy doesn't have detection, one can initiate easily by using Light Strike Array undetected.
- Slark's Shadow Dance will give him immense Health Regeneration and Movement Speed as long as he is invisible to the enemy team. Additionally, Shadow Walk gives Slark great burst damage along with a free Essence Shift stack on his first attack to break Invisibility, which you can then follow up with by using Pounce.
- Shadow blade allows Alchemist to start Unstable Concoction then go invisible, surprising enemies with heavy burst damage and the full duration stun.
- He can also activate it while affected by Chemical Rage to regain a large amount of health before enemies can reveal him.
- Orchid Malevolence: will silence your enemy for 5 seconds.
- Echo Sabre: will slow and do two quick attacks.
- Desolator: reduce the armor and works with the 175 bonus damage. It can also be used to push towers then escape with shadow blade.
- Scythe of Vyse: will disable your enemy for 3.5 seconds.
- Skull Basher: gives a chance to bash your enemy from attacking or escaping.
- Blade Mail: is useful to gank carries and nukers.
- Dust of Appearance, Sentry Ward and Necronomicon: reveals invisible heroes.
- Blade Mail: return the damages if you are being ganked.
- Scythe of Vyse: disable your enemy from escaping with his shadow blade.
- In the original DotA, this item was called Lothar's Edge, a reference to Sir Anduin Lothar from the Warcraft universe. It is still commonly referred to as "Lothar" or "Lothar's" by those who have played the original DotA.