|Ancient Jungle Creep|
Roshan, sometimes also referred to as Roshan the Immortal, is the most powerful neutral creep in Dota 2. It is the first unit which spawns, right as the match is loaded and is the only NPC which scales over time. During the early to mid game, he easily outmatches almost every hero in one-on-one combat. Very few heroes can take him on alone during the mid game. Even in the late game, lots of heroes struggle fighting him one on one, since Roshan grows stronger as time passes.
Roshan is not a creep which can just be farmed like the other neutral creep camps, fighting him is an important team decision, as it needs the correct timing and approach since it can decide the future of the match. Usually, it is fought as a team when it is safe to do so, meaning when the enemy team does not display a threat at the moment (for example after a successful team fight).
- 1 Abilities
- 2 Roshan Pit
- 3 Roshan's death
- 4 Spell interactions
- 5 Item interactions
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Version history
- 8 Patch history
- 9 Gallery
- 10 See also
- 11 References
Abilities[edit | edit source]
- Roshan only casts Slam when 3 or more enemy units are within the radius.
- However, after 3 enemies were once within the radius, he starts always using it whenever he is aggroed, regardless of how many enemies are in range (until his next respawn).
- Damage increases by 20 every 4 minutes since the first creep spawn. The first increase happens just as the first wave spawns.
- This is how much damage the Slam deals (before reductions) at certain game times:
- 12 Minutes: 150 damage
- 24 Minutes: 210 damage
- 36 Minutes: 270 damage
- 48 Minutes: 330 damage
- 60 Minutes: 390 damage
- 80 Minutes: 490 damage
- 100 Minutes: 590 damage
- 120 Minutes: 690 damage
- The first armor bonus is granted as the first creep wave spawns, and then every 4 minutes onward.
- The armor is provided by a 1 radius aura. This means it can also affect other neutral creeps when close enough to Roshan.
- The aura's buff lingers for 0.5 seconds.
- The phased status is given to him as he spawns.
- All other bonuses are granted every 4 minutes after the first creep wave spawns.
- The bonuses persist through his death and keep on increasing while he is dead.
- Illusions are destroyed upon hitting Roshan or launching an attack projectile.
- The extra attack speed causes Roshan to attack exactly once per second.
Roshan Pit[edit | edit source]
Roshan can be found inside his pit, which is located to the left of the top river rune spot. The pit is completely inside the river, with the river splitting up at its entrance and merging again right behind the pit. The entry of the pit faces south-east, towards the mid lane. The pit shell is U-shaped and has a length of about 1250 range and width of about 1050 range. The pathable area inside the pit has a length and width of about 750 to 550 range. Roshan can only be attacked from within that area, with the torches at the pit entry marking where it begins. Spells can target Roshan from anywhere and are not restricted like attacks. Roshan himself can also attack from anywhere, he does not have to be within his pit to attack. Roshan always stays at the end of the pit when not attacking and only attacks if enemy units come within 150 range of him, or damage him from within 1800 range.
Roshan's exact location on the map is (x = -2464.245, y = 2016.373).
Vision inside the pit[edit | edit source]
The only way to gain vision over the pit is to enter it. Units with ground vision (this includes wards and any spell) from outside cannot see into the pit, no matter how far their sight range goes or if they are on an elevated area like the ward spots. Observer Ward
So the only way to gain vision inside the pit is to have an owned unit with ground vision in there (e.g. the hero itself, summoned units or wards such as Remote Mines
Roshan's death[edit | edit source]
When Roshan is slain, a global sound resembling its Play screaming, along with a special piece of Play music and an announcement from the announcer are played for all 10 players. Along with that, a screen message appears, announcing its death and which team killed it.
Respawning[edit | edit source]
When Roshan is slain, he respawns after a random time between 8–11 minutes. Unlike with other neutral creeps, the respawn cannot be prevented by any means. The players do not get any indicator for when exactly he respawns, but spectators and casters can see a clock at Roshan's spawn point, showing the exact time left for the respawn (not until 5 minutes after Roshan was slain).
Kill rewards[edit | edit source]
Each player of the killing team is rewarded with 200 gold. This causes the hero who gets the last hit to effectively gain 350–600 gold.
Upon each death, Roshan always drops the Aegis of the Immortal
The Aegis of the Immortal can be picked up by any hero (except Meepo
Upon Roshan's third death and onwards, he also drops the Cheese
Spell interactions[edit | edit source]
Spells which cannot target or do not affect Roshan[edit | edit source]
- Anti-Mage – Mana Break
- Bane – Enfeeble
- Batrider – Firefly
- Batrider – Flamebreak
- Chen – Holy Persuasion
- Chen – Test of Faith
- Dark Seer – Vacuum
- Death Prophet – Spirit Siphon
- Disruptor – Kinetic Field
- Disruptor – Static Storm
- Doom – Doom
- Doom – Infernal Blade
- Drow Ranger – Gust
- Earth Spirit – Boulder Smash
- Elder Titan – Astral Spirit
- Elder Titan – Echo Stomp
- Elder Titan – Natural Order
- Enchantress – Enchant
- Enigma – Midnight Pulse
- Fire – Permanent Immolation
- Gyrocopter – Call Down
- Invoker – Chaos Meteor
- Invoker – EMP
- Invoker – Sun Strike
- Invoker – Tornado
- Juggernaut – Omnislash
- Keeper of the Light – Blinding Light
- Kunkka – X Marks the Spot
- Legion Commander – Overwhelming Odds
- Lifestealer – Feast
- Lion – Mana Drain
- Luna – Eclipse
- Medusa – Stone Gaze
- Meepo – Earthbind
- Meepo – Poof
- Naga Siren – Song of the Siren
- Necrophos – Reaper's Scythe
- Nyx Assassin – Impale
- Phoenix – Sun Ray
- Razor – Eye of the Storm
- Shadow Demon – Shadow Poison
- Shadow Demon – Soul Catcher
- Slark – Dark Pact
- Sniper – Shrapnel
- Spectre – Desolate
- Spectre – Dispersion
- Spirit Bear – Entangling Claws
- Spirit Breaker – Greater Bash
- Tidehunter – Anchor Smash
- Tidehunter – Ravage
- Tinker – March of the Machines
- Troll Warlord – Whirling Axes (Melee)
- Troll Warlord – Whirling Axes (Ranged)
- Vengeful Spirit – Nether Swap
- Zeus – Static Field
Spells which behave differently on Roshan[edit | edit source]
- Deals initial damage and draws aggro, but does not inflict the debuff.
- Applies the mini-stun only.
- Does not heal Bloodseeker if he kills Roshan, but it heals Roshan if he kills any unit under Bloodrage.
- Upon cast teleports only the hero (and his illusions) in front of Roshan from where cast, not both to a random point.
- Impedes Roshan's movement, but does not knock back or do damage.
- Deals damage, but entangles only for the hero duration.
- Does not lift Roshan, but damages and interrupts him for a split second.
- Upon cast instantly stuns Roshan.
- Stuns and deals damage, but does not move Roshan.
- Upon cast stuns Roshan for lift duration, but he cannot be moved.
- Can be cast on Roshan, but it only interrupts him for a split second, and does not lift him.
- Tiny can toss units to Roshan, but cannot toss Roshan himself.
Item interactions[edit | edit source]
Items which cannot target or do not affect Roshan[edit | edit source]
Items which behave differently on Roshan[edit | edit source]
- Slows Roshan, but does not "pause" him.
- Deals damage instantly, but does not apply Cyclone.
- Breaks Roshan's Spell Block, otherwise has no effect.
- Breaks Roshan's Spell Block, does not affect Roshan, but still will push you away.
- Does not break Roshan's Spell Block.
- Bypasses Roshan's Spell Block.
- Does not break Roshan's Spell Block.
- Only breaks Roshan's Bash ability.
- Bypasses Roshan's Spell Block.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Roshan was named after Guinsoo's bowling ball.
- According to the Are We Heroes Yet? comic, Roshan killed a Shopkeeper, thus claiming the Aegis of the Immortal
, and being cursed to have his treasure stolen from him again and again.
- Roshan in Farsi means "Light", "On" or "Bright", and is also a common Persian name.
Version history[edit | edit source]
- Increased attack range increased from 128 to 150.
- Increased armor from 5 to 15.
- Reduced HP from 8000 to 5500.
- Reduced HP gain per 4 minutes from 700 to 460.
- Increased armor gain per 4 minutes from 0.7 to 1.1.
- Reduced magic resistance from 75% to 55%.
- Increased HP from 7500 + 125/min to 8000 + 175/min.
- Rescaled experience bounty from 1789 to 750 + 20/min.
- Armor type changed from Strong (now basic) to Hero.
- Increased armor from 4 to 5.
- Increased base attack time from 1 to 2.
- Now has +100 attack speed. [ ]
- Increased armor bonus per 8 minutes from 1 to 1.4.
- Roshan no longer stops upgrading his health/damage/armor at 45 minutes.
- Roshan upgrades every 4 minutes instead of 5.
- Roshan bounty rescaled from 105–600 to 150–400.
- Roshan will respawn at a random time between 8 and 11 minutes after death.
- Previously, Roshan would respawn 10 minutes after death.
- Roshan turn rate increased to fix some abuses.
- Improved Roshan’s turn rate.
- Roshan now gradually becomes stronger over time instead of after death.
- Game now gives an error message when attacking Roshan from a disallowed area.
- Changed the way Aegis of the Immortal
and Roshan work. Aegis is now a Roshan drop (a 1-charge ankh basically). You cannot create it manually. Roshan starts out weaker without melee return. He respawns stronger and bigger every 10 minutes.
- Reworked the Roshan Terrain area for improved Sentinel accessibility (lots of miscellaneous tweaks and mechanics to that area have been done beyond simply terrain change).
- Added Snowman after Roshan (just a temp for the season).
- Roshan now returns to his spawn point instantly if he attacks a structure, to prevent certain abuses out there.
- Roshan now has chance to drop rare item.
Patch history[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]