Riki the Stealth Assassin is a melee agility hero that uses stealth in order to surprise enemies and quickly kill them. His trademark ability, Cloak and Dagger, lets him sneak up on his enemies from behind and deal massive backstab damage, and then quickly escape. This enables him to close in on the enemy and drop his devastating Smoke Screen, which cripples fighters and spellcasters alike. Blink Strike allows Riki to chase with impunity, while Tricks of the Trade makes quick work of his enemies during teamfights.
Bio[edit | edit source]
Abilities[edit | edit source]
- The bonus damage is independent from Riki's attack damage and is instantly dealt to the target.
- Teleports Riki always behind the target.
- When targeting an enemy, Riki receives the
- This buff makes his next attack apply an ensured backstab hit with Cloak and Dagger, regardless of angle.
- This means when the target manages to turn around before Riki's attack hits, it still applies the backstab.
- The buff lasts for 1 attack, or for up to 1 second, whichever happens first.
- The buff is used up upon starting an attack, not upon landing it, so canceling or missing the attack wastes it.
- The 1 second duration allows Riki to use the ensured backstab against other units than the Blink Strike target if quick enough.
- Riki is ordered to attack the target if it is an enemy.
- Can be cast on allies without damaging them.
- Riki does not auto attack enemies while invisible.
- Riki turns instantly invisible after respawning, causing him not to be visible right after using Aegis of the Immortal.
- Casting spells or using items does not break the invisibility.
- The ability icon shows a cooldown whenever the invisibility is broken. However, this has only informative purposes.
- Backstab damage is applied when attacking and denying allies.
- A unit's back is considered to be within 105 degrees from the back.
- The damage can be reduced with e.g. Enfeeble or Static Link.
- The sound effect plays at the start of the attack, but the damage is applied on hit.
- Tricks of the Trade disjoints projectiles upon cast.
- Certain items which do not cancel channeling spells (e.g. Shadow Blade or Shiva's Guard) do cancel Tricks of the Trade.
- Riki is invulnerable and hidden during Tricks of the Trade, turning him to an invalid target for every spell.
- Riki retains his collision size while channeling.
- Riki cannot cast this while rooted. On attempt, the player gets the error message "Can't cast this while rooted".
- Causes Riki to perform instant attacks on all enemy heroes within range once per second, starting immediately on cast.
- The instant attacks always trigger a backstab from Cloak and Dagger, if it is learnt.
- The visual effects indicating Tricks of the Trade's attack radius are visible to both allies and enemies.
- The radius is always centered on Riki and follows him even when he gets moved (e.g. Glimpse).
- However, the radius indicating visual effects on the ground do not follow Riki, and stay at the cast location.
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
- Tangos and Healing Salve compensate for poor starting HP, allowing you to stay in the lane longer and reach level 6 sooner.
- Slippers of Agility and three Iron Branches to increase early damage and both health and mana regeneration, while the slippers prepare for the shield and the branches set up for the wand later.
- Magic Stick replaces your consumables with an alternative source of recovery, particularly if the enemy team includes heroes that rely on abilities.
- Boots of Speed provide movement speed, allowing Riki to keep pace with fleeing heroes while Blink Strike is on cooldown.
- Poor Man's Shield gives Riki damage block, aiding escape from attempted ganks or providing the defense to land one last hit on an almost dead opponent.
- Orb of Venom helps secure kills with its movement slow and helps compensate for Riki's own horrible movement speed. Remember that neither Orb of Venom nor Diffusal Blade are UAMs, so they stack with other ones.
- Power Treads give Riki increased attack speed as well as a further bonus to attributes.
- Magic Wand is an obvious upgrade from the Magic Stick and Iron Branches purchased earlier, freeing up inventory slots while retaining the attribute bonuses and healing ability.
- Diffusal Blade provides a way to weaken heroes receiving bonuses from buffs, as well as slow fleeing heroes and burn mana from casters. It can also counter the use of a Dust of Appearance by purging himself. And using purge on an enemy under Smoke Screen allows for a long silenced duration in which you can backstab them or just fight them while they have an increased chance to miss.
- Butterfly provides a huge increase in both survivability and damage, as well as attack speed. It also boosts your agility which scales well with Cloak and Dagger's backstab damage.
- Drum of Endurance is a good early/mid game pickup, makes everyone faster and gives you stats, coupled with Orb of Venom for a better chasing power.
- Black King Bar allows Riki to effectively fight in teamfights and get kills against opponents that have strong disables.
- Sange and Yasha give great attribute bonuses, as well as an alternative slow method to save charges on, or use in place of a drained Diffusal Blade.
- Skull Basher allows Riki to cancel TPs with a lucky bash and continue to lockdown opponents once they have acquired a BKB, and upgrades into Abyssal Blade which allows for more reliable stuns.
- Eye of Skadi gives stats across the board as well as a flat HP and mana pool bonus, allowing Riki to take more hits, deal more damage and cast more spells. It also gives a powerful, BKB piercing slow that will prevent your target from escaping.
- Blink Dagger allows Riki to initiate using Blink Strike and Tricks of the Trade, then safely blinking away just before Tricks of the Trade finishes.
- Manta Style can be used to dispel debuffs, including Dust of Appearance, saving Diffusal Blade charges to slow enemies or purge powerful buffs from them.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Audio[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In DotA, Riki was named "Rikimaru", a reference to one of the main characters in the Tenchu video game series.
- Riki's fun/alternate name was Riki Martin, which is a pun on Ricky Martin, a famous Latino pop singer.
- Riki's line upon dying, Play "Good assassins never die… they just fade away.'", is a reference to a quote by General Douglas MacArthur, "Old soldiers never die; they just fade away."
- Riki's line Play "There are none so stabbed as those who will not see." is a reference to A Christmas Carol where a blind woman says, "I am not so blind as those who will not see.".
- Riki's line Play "I speak softly, but carry a sharp knife." is a reference to the West African Proverb "Speak softly and carry a big stick.", popularized by U.S. president Theodore Roosevelt.