Queen of Pain
Queen of Pain
Akasha the Queen of Pain is a ranged intelligence hero who uses her abilities to close in and deal huge area damage to the enemy. She is typically played as a ganker with her ability to appear in battle and deal damage in quick succession, as well as hunt down fleeing heroes with ease. Her Blink ability is the lynchpin of her skill set, allowing her to enter and leave fights at her whim. Once in position to attack, Akasha can unleash her Scream of Pain and Sonic Wave, able to devastate an entire team at once. Chasing down straggling prey is another of her fortes, with Shadow Strike crippling their ability to escape. Akasha is very adept at getting kills early in the game, and transitions very well into a semi-carry if she acquires the proper items.
Bio[edit | edit source]
|Akasha, the Queen of Pain|
|Play "They say pain is all in the mind, but they're wrong: It's all in my hands."|
|Role:||Carry / Nuker / Escape|
|Lore:||The Ecclesiast-King of Elze nursed a desire for pain — forbidden pain. In a less prominent political figure, such desires might be considered unwise, but in a monarch of his stature, to satisfy such thirsts would have threatened the virtue of the Divine Throne itself. Therefore he turned to his dungeon full of demonologists, promising freedom to whoever could summon a personal succubus of torment and bind it entirely to his service. The creature who arrived, Akasha by name, visited upon him such exquisite torments that he named her his Secret Queen, and he began to spend all his spare moments submitting to her clever torments—eventually abdicating all his responsibilities in his pursuit of the painful pleasures that only she could bring. Queen of Pain could bring him to the brink of death, but she was rune-bound to keep him alive. At last the King's neglect of state brought on an uprising. He was dragged from his chamber and hurled from the Tower of Invocations, and at the moment of death, Queen of Pain was let loose into the world, freed from servitude—freed to visit her sufferings on anyone she deigned to notice.|
|Voice:||Linda K. Morris (Responses)|
Abilities[edit | edit source]
- The dagger travels at a speed of 900 and can be disjointed.
- The slow decreases in 1 second intervals. This is how much Shadow Strike slows on each level at each second:
- Level 1: 20.0% / 16.3% / 13.1% / 10.3% / 8.1% / 6.2% / 4.7% / 3.5% / 2.5% / 1.8% / 1.3% / 0.9% / 0.6% / 0.4% / 0.3%
- Level 2: 30.0% / 24.5% / 19.6% / 15.5% / 12.1% / 9.3% / 7.0% / 5.2% / 3.8% / 2.8% / 2.0% / 1.4% / 1.0% / 0.6% / 0.4%
- Level 3: 40.0% / 32.6% / 26.2% / 20.7% / 16.1% / 12.4% / 9.3% / 7.0% / 5.1% / 3.7% / 2.6% / 1.8% / 1.3% / 0.9% / 0.6%
- Level 4: 50.0% / 40.8% / 32.7% / 25.9% / 20.1% / 15.5% / 11.7% / 8.7% / 6.4% / 4.6% / 3.3% / 2.3% / 1.6% / 1.1% / 0.7%
- A unit with less than 25% of its maximum health can be denied when it has the Shadow Strike debuff on.
- Deals the initial damage upon impact and the damage over time in 3 second intervals, resulting in overall 6 damage instances.
- Can deal up to 200/300/400/500 damage to the target (before reductions).
- Successive casts refresh the slow and damage over time durations and deal the initial damage again.
- Despite the talent description, the 25 talent does not remove the cooldown entirely. Instead, it reduces it by 4 seconds, reducing it to 0 on level 4 only.
- Sonic Wave travels at a speed of 900.
- Can hit units up to 1350 range away (900 travel distance + 450 end radius).
- The complete area is shaped like a cone.
- Can kill couriers.
Talents[edit | edit source]
|70% Spell Lifesteal||25|| Removed Shadow Strike|
|+300 Health||20||+100 Attack Range|
|+90 Gold/Min||15||12% Cooldown Reduction|
| +10 Strength
- The attack damage is added as bonus attack damage, and therefore does not benefit illusions.
- Cooldown reduction affects abilities and items. Stacks multiplicatively with Octarine Core
and additively with Arcane Rune .
- Gold granted from the talent is unreliable gold.
- Upgrading health increases maximum health capacity and keeps the current health percentage.
- The spell lifesteal stacks additively with that of Octarine Core
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
- Healing Salve
and Tango es for health regeneration while in lane and a Clarity which help allow Akasha to use her abilities more often to assert her lane dominance.
- Purchasing a Mantle of Intelligence
and a Circlet , which can later be turned into a Null Talisman , will increase her already high base damage for easier last hitting.
- Getting a Bottle
will provide her with reliable health and mana regeneration. Queen of Pain's Blink ability grants her almost incontestable rune control allowing her to easily replenish Bottle charges.
- Boots of Speed
give an increase in movement speed which can be very useful, especially when Blink is unavailable.
- Magic Stick
gives you much needed burst regen which can be used in emergency situations.
- Null Talisman
can be purchased to make last hitting even easier. This can be sold when not needed anymore or turned into a Dagon .
- Magic Wand
provides a nice increase to all attributes and burst regen.
- Power Treads
increase Akasha's attack speed and attributes allowing her to be more durable which allowing her to output sustainable damage.
- Aghanim's Scepter
hugely reduces Sonic Wave's cooldown time, ensuring it is always available when it is needed. It also provides a useful increase in Sonic Wave's damage.
- Town Portal Scroll
should always be carried to safely escape from or enter and contribute to fights.
- Akasha has strong burst damage and initiation speed, but lacks a good disable and can be killed easily if she blinks in carelessly. Scythe of Vyse
and Orchid Malevolence give her a strong disable to prevent the hero she blinks on from fighting back, as well as plenty of mana regeneration and a damage increase. Scythe of Vyse is better at shutting down right clickers while Orchid is good at stopping spellcasters and escape-oriented heroes.
- To improve your damage, you can get items like Monkey King Bar
, Desolator , and Mjollnir , which is an option if the enemy team has many heroes that can become magic immune or have high magic resistance.
- For defensive options Eye of Skadi
, Shiva's Guard , and Linken's Sphere are luxury pickups that make you harder to kill while also providing utility and mana. The slow effects pierce BKB and the added HP/Armor/Spell Shield, respectively, help you survive long enough to blink to safety.
- Veil of Discord
provides good stats at a fair price and the build-up is nice. Get one if your team can use the damage amp, but don't forget Sonic Wave will not benefit from it.
- Aether Lens
is not too bad either to buff up your damage, the 200 extra range on blink is always nice, though the range is already so good you probably don't need it for this particular reason. Unfortunately, it doesn't add the cast range to Scream of Pain.
is also good on QoP, it helps you bring towers down and it deals an unsuspected amount of damage if you can blink on top of an opponent and use it immediately. Especially deadly paired up with a Scythe of Vyse .
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Audio[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Akasha is the name (or variant of the name) of the fifth element in many religions such as Hinduism, Wicca (or other Neopaganism), with its roots deriving from ancient Paganism. "Akasha", when translated to English (from Sanskrit), means "aether" (air/spirit, depending on context). This element is seen/represented as the top point of a pentagram, a symbol sometimes misused as one of evil (there is no devil-esque figure in Paganism), and could have been intended to show or derive from Queen of Pain's sadistic nature. Doom
's Doom skill icon is a regular pentagram, so it might be a misconception held by the DotA staff and reasoning for her name. A regular pentagram on someone, ignoring misconceptions, is actually protective.
- The name Aether is one of the many references Dota 2 makes to Greek mythology, as it is derived from a Greek deity of the same name.
- Akasha is also the name of the Queen of the Damned from Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles novel series, which could have inspired Queen of Pain's name, who, in turn, could have derived her name from the above roots.
- Scream of Pain's and Sonic Wave's sounds are based on some voice lines of Queen of Pain. Scream of Pain is based on this Play, while Sonic Wave uses a part of this Play.
- Queen of Pain's dying line "Your queen is dead" is possibly a reference to The Smiths' album, The Queen is Dead.
- Most of Queen of Pain's abilities were derived from the Warcraft III Night Elf hero, the Warden, with Sonic Wave being the only new ability introduced, replacing Vengeance. Fan of Knives was also substituted for Scream of Pain with the same effect, though an older version of Queen of Pain did have the Fan of Knives ability.
- Queen of Pain's response for killing Phantom Assassin "Blink! You're dead." likely refers to the popular Dr. Who episode "Don't Blink" in which the Doctor says, referring to Weeping Angels, "Don't blink, don't even blink. Blink, and you're dead."