25 + 3.2
14 + 1.5
14 + 1.5
Pudge the Butcher is a melee strength hero feared for his incredible gank prowess. Though he may not look like it, he is one of the strongest solo-killing gankers in the entire game, with one combo of his three active abilities proving more than sufficient to kill fragile enemy heroes in the early and midgame. His signature ability, Meat Hook, which requires intuition, precision, and good timing to land, is thrown out in a straight line a long distance away. If it snags a unit, it will drag it back to Pudge, dealing enormous damage to it if it was an enemy. It thus serves as a powerful ganking and initation tool, and also has the utility of being able to save an endangered ally. He can then follow up with his ultimate, Dismember, which deals further damage to the target over a few seconds, as well as disabling it. During this period, he can toggle on his Rot to damage his enemy further while hurting himself as well, and use it to slow and finish off the hero if he or she survived the initial assault. To supplement his killing power is Flesh Heap, which provides him some magic resistance to reduce the damage he takes from Rot as well as from other enemy spells. The scariest aspect of Flesh Heap though is that it provides him permanent Strength with every kill that he participates in, giving him the potential to permanently increase his vitality (and physical damage) to monolithic proportions, thereby becoming a formidable tank.
| Pudge, the Butcher
| Play "When I'm through with these vermin, They'll be fit for a pie!"
|| Disabler / Initiator / Durable / Nuker
|| In the Fields of Endless Carnage, far to the south of Quoidge, a corpulent figure works tirelessly through the night--dismembering, disembowelling, piling up the limbs and viscera of the fallen that the battlefield might be clear by dawn. In this cursed realm, nothing can decay or decompose; no corpse may ever return to the earth from which it sprang, no matter how deep you dig the grave. Flocked by carrion birds who need him to cut their meals into beak-sized chunks, Pudge the Butcher hones his skills with blades that grow sharper the longer he uses them. Swish, swish, thunk. Flesh falls from the bone; tendons and ligaments part like wet paper. And while he always had a taste for the butchery, over the ages, Pudge has developed a taste for its byproduct as well. Starting with a gobbet of muscle here, a sip of blood there...before long he was thrusting his jaws deep into the toughest of torsos, like a dog gnawing at rags. Even those who are beyond fearing the Reaper, fear the Butcher.
|| John Patrick Lowrie (Responses)
Pudge is a high health destructive tank that can finish off lone heroes easily and quickly. His first and trademark ability, Meat Hook, allows him to grab a solitary target, dragging it off to meet its doom in the ravenous form of the Butcher. One of the most iconic abilities of DotA, Meat Hook takes a vast amount of practice to perfect. It is also a hard ability to master due to its high versatility, like hooking for units hidden in the fog, hooking enemies with different movement speeds or pulling allied heroes out of potentially fatal situations. Pudge's second ability Rot is his primary source of damage over time, dishing out large amounts every second. Due to the first and second abilities, Pudge is a constant threat and distraction in the early levels, possessing one of the highest short term damage outputs in the game. Pudge's ultimate, Dismember, allows him to grasp a unit tightly and devour it, holding it within range of the noxious fumes of Rot. In mid to late game, Pudge's trademark combination includes hooking a foe away from its allies, Rotting and Dismembering. Pudge also has a passive Flesh Heap, which grants him both magic resistance to complement Rot and strength gain which is achieved passively upon enemy hero deaths in his vicinity. This hulking monstrosity is a force of gargantuan destruction in the hands of a competent player, and enemies may quickly find themselves unable to take on the behemoth with his enormously high health potential.
- The Meat Hook travels at a speed of 1600.
- The hook can hit units up to 1100/1200/1300/1400 range away (1000/1100/1200/1300 travel distance + 100 search radius).
- The search radius is centered around the hook's tip. Getting close to other parts of the hook has no effect.
- Can only affects units while extending. Cannot affect any unit while retracting.
- The hook flies through impassable terrain and trees. It also can drag units over them.
- Hooked enemies are fully disabled for the entire pull duration. However, spell immune or invulnerable enemies are not disabled, and can attack, turn and cast spells or items.
- Allies are never disabled. They also can freely act while being pulled by the hook.
- Pudge is disabled during the cast backswing of Meat Hook.
- Hooking a unit onto impassable terrain gives the unit free pathing for 5 seconds.
- When the hook hits a unit, it provides 500 radius flying vision at the unit's location upon hit for 4 seconds.
"/0.46/0.5/0.53" can not be assigned to a declared number type with value 0.43.
| A toxic cloud that deals intense damage and slows movement--harming not only enemy units but Pudge himself.
| Cast Time: 0+0|
Damage per Second: 30/60/90/120
Move Speed Slow: 27%
|A foul odor precedes a toxic, choking gas, emanating from the Butcher's putrid, ever-swelling mass.
- Rot does not interrupt Pudge's channeling spells upon toggling.
- The damage to self is magical aswell, so it can be blocked with spell immunity. It also is lethal, so Pudge can deny himself with this ability.
- This allows most cancelable consumables to persist through the first 3 levels of Rot, since its damage is too low to cancel them.
- The area damage does not depend on the self afflicted damage. The area damage is still applied even when the damage on Pudge himself is blocked.
- The slow and damage are provided by an aura. This aura debuff lingers for 0.5 seconds, even if rot is toggled off.
- Rot deals 6/12/18/24 damage in 0.2 second intervals. The time intervals are set for the whole game when Rot is toggled the first time.
- Every 0.2 seconds, Rot checks if Pudge has Rot active, and if that is the case, Pudge and all enemies which have the slow debuff from Pudge are damaged. Therefore:
- It is possible to rapidly toggle Rot on and off several times to drastically reduce damage dealt/taken while still maintaining the slow.
- Enemies that get out of range can still can get hit by 2 to 3 damage instances, as long as Pudge has Rot active.
- Only gains stacks when an enemy hero dies within the radius or when Pudge gets the kill, regardless of distance.
- Pudge does not gain stacks if an enemy hero denies themself.
- Each Stack effectively grants Pudge 19/28.5/38/47.5 health, 0.03/0.045/0.06/0.075 health regeneration and 1/1.5/2/2.5 attack damage.
- The number of stacks and amount of strength gained can be seen on the status buff icon.
- Upon leveling Flesh Heap, all stacks adapt to its new level.
- Upon gaining a stack, a red "+1" appears above Pudge's head, indicating that he gained a stack.
- Starting Items: When choosing starting items with Pudge, remember that Meat Hook has high mana cost, and Rot has high health cost. Pudge players often start more than one salve to make up for this.
- Early-Game : A Bottle is a typical pick for Pudge, as it helps supplement his low mana pool, and allows him to use runes while ganking.
- Core: A common build with Pudge is an early Hood of Defiance, since the 30% magic resistance it offers lowers the self-damage taken from Rot. Phase Boots and Arcane Boots are both recommendable items, for positioning and mana respectively.
- Situational: While a Pipe of Insight may not help Pudge significantly more than a Hood of Defiance, it is a powerful teamfight item, and easy enough for Pudge to pick up. Heart of Tarrasque not only adds to Pudge's strength, but also gives a percent-based health regeneration passive which helps keep his health full between fights. Aghanim's Scepter gives a vampiric effect to Dismember, helping Pudge stay in the fight longer. Shiva's Guard will give a large mana pool as well as reducing the effectiveness of enemy autoattacks. Force Staff is a cheap positioning item which can allow Pudge to land his Meat Hook with impunity. Drum of Endurance is recommended because of the swiftness aura, which helps both Pudge and his team with positioning.
- Meat Hook to Rot to Dismember is the standard combo.
- Due to the instant cast time of Rot, it can be toggled on just before completing an attack to secure last hits.
- Meat Hook is hard to master but extremely versatile; it can be used to:
- Pull a fleeing enemy into a gank, or back into one if they blinked away.
- Pull a lone hero into your team to make any resulting teamfight 4v5.
- Pull an allied hero out of a dangerous situation.
- However, in case the enemy has some sort of AoE initiation ability Echo Slam, Epicenter, Requiem of Souls, Sanity's Eclipse etc.), it's usually better to avoid hooking at all to start teamfight, lest you set up a perfect initiation for the other team. The reason is after you hook someone and your team converge on you to kill the target, you will act as a beacon for those abilities, especially if they have a Blink Dagger.
- An easy way to land a Meat Hook is to walk up to your enemy slow him with Rot and finish him off with a Meat Hook, while they are slowed.
- Hiding spots and hooking positions: .
- Don't be afraid to use Rot to escape from a chasing melee hero. Toggle it quickly on and off to apply the speed debuff to them, with minimal damage to yourself.
- If you are Dismembering and have not used Meat Hook, make sure to not shift queue it because it can easily be dodged by running to the left or right.
- If you have Aghanim's Scepter and are low on health you can Dismember a creep to quickly restore a lot of HP.
- Blink Dagger can be bought on Pudge. If you hook a unit onto an unpathable ledge, the unit gains free pathing for 5 seconds.
- Pudge can use Rot to deny himself, committing suicide and preventing the other team from receiving gold and experience for his death; killing himself in this way does not, however, reset his killing spree, resulting in the other team receiving more gold for killing him if he continues his spree.
- Keep in mind that the range on Flesh Heap is relatively small. However, you will still gain a charge by killing a foe out of range if the final blow is delivered by Meat Hook (i.e. with Meat Hook damage). This is the only exception to the Flesh Heap range restriction, as you will not gain charges by killing enemies out of range with others methods, such as with Urn of Shadows or Dagon. Therefore, you should use these methods in last resort only, when impossible to last hit an escaping enemy with Meat Hook (because of mana or creeps blocking the path for example).
- Due to Pudge's gank-heavy playstyle, an Urn of Shadows is useful for providing health regeneration.
- A Black King Bar is also a frequent item choice, as it can prevent enemies from interrupting Dismember channeling, as well as preventing self-damage from Rot.
- Use Rot after casting Meat Hook if there is an enemy Rubick, as he can use the Hook against your team, who may not expect to be hooked at all.
- Pudge's line upon landing a hook on an enemy Play Play Play "Get over here!" is a reference to the character Scorpion from the Mortal Kombat franchise, who also has a hook ability which pulls his enemy towards him. He uses the same line upon hitting his enemy with it.
- Pudge's line Play "Keep calm and carrion!" is a play on the World War 2 British Propaganda phrase "Keep calm and carry on".
- The reason Pudge's voice lines are done in a Cockney accent might be the popular rhyming slang term that stands for "look"; "butcher's hook", incidentally representing Pudge's signature move.
- Most of Pudge's Dismember cast lines (Play "Fresh meat!") are a reference to The Butcher from Diablo, a title from Blizzard Entertainment, who also says Play "Fresh Meat" as the player meets it the first time.
- In DotA1, the exact same sound is used by Pudge upon casting Dismember.
November 21, 2013 Patch
February 07, 2013 Patch
- Fixed some ability Backswing timing issues ( Kunkka, Clockwerk, Timbersaw, Meepo, Pudge, Spirit Breaker, Sand King, Riki, Nyx Assassin, Lion, Pugna, Shadow Demon, Batrider).
January 10, 2013 Patch
September 21, 2012 Patch
- [Undocumented] Updated Enchantress' and Pudge's textures.
September 13, 2012 Patch
- [Undocumented] Added new attack animations for Pudge.
August 22, 2012 Patch
- [Undocumented] Updated Pudge's model and textures.
August 15, 2012 Patch
- [Undocumented] Updated Pudge's textures.
July 26, 2012 Patch
June 28, 2012 Patch
- Fixed a bug that was sometimes causing Dismember to do an extra tick of damage.
- Fixed a bug that allowed Pudge to deal damage without hurting himself by quickly toggling Rot.
May 17, 2012 Patch
April 26, 2012 Patch
- [Undocumented] Updated the hero selection portrait.
April 20, 2012 Patch
April 19, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Dismember damage happening one second too late.
April 12, 2012 Patch
March 22, 2012 Patch
- Fixed some abilities having incorrect durations against creep heroes (like Dismember).
March 15, 2012 Patch
- Fixed being unable to hook Nightmared targets.
March 08, 2012 Patch
- Made Meat Hook conform to terrain for more accurate visual read.
February 16, 2012 Patch
- [Undocumented] Pudge has a new animation upon getting a kill.
January 12, 2012 Patch
December 01, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Rot doing continuing to do damage after you die.
November 17, 2011 Patch
October 27, 2011 Patch
- Fixed cases where Meat Hook would drop the pulled target to a lower level if your target was near a ledge.
October 13, 2011 Patch
September 29, 2011 Patch
- Changed Meat Hook to pull back units he kills with it.
September 09, 2011 Patch
August 06, 2011 Patch
August 04, 2011 Patch
August 02, 2011 Patch
- Made radius of Rot more static/representative of actual its radius.
- Made Rot debuff effect have a more distinct palette, with a hit effect and constant blood for recipients.
July 01, 2011 Patch
June 24, 2011 Patch
May 20, 2011 Patch
May 05, 2011 Patch
- Hooked up Pudge's new Rot animation.
March 03, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Meat Hook animation getting stuck on if Pudge gets interrupted before his action phase ends.
- Fixed Sacred Arrow and Meat Hook to not miss nearby targets.
February 09, 2011 Patch
January 30, 2011 Patch
- Fixed bug with spamming Rot, and adjusted its tick interval to 0.2 from 1.0.
- Fixed cases where creating a linear projectile directly on yourself would cause it to get stuck. This includes fixes to Fissure, Ghostship, Dragon Slave, Sacred Arrow, Earth Spike, Waveform, Illusory Orb, Meat Hook, Burrowstrike, Wave of Terror, and Powershot.
January 27, 2011 Patch
January 18, 2011 Patch
- Increased damage per second from 35/60/85/110 to 30/60/90/120.
- Increased movement speed slow from 20%/22%/24%/26% to 27% on each level.
- Fixed Dismember sometimes not granting True Sight over the target properly.
- Increased Rot movement speed slow from 20% to 20%/22%/24%/26%.
- Increased Meat Hook max distance and cast range from 700/900/1100/1300 to 1000/1100/1200/1300.
- Increased Flesh Heap strength bonus per enemy hero death from 0.9/1.2/1.5/1.8 to 1/1.5/2/2.5.
- Undid melee hero collision change from 6.72c.
- Melee hero collision size now reduced from 24 to 12.
- Increased Rot damage from 25/50/75/100 to 35/60/85/110.
- Reduced armor from 0 to -1 (total armor is now 0.96).
- Flesh Heap is now retroactive.
- This means it will now track all enemy hero deaths within the radius, even when not learnt, and adapt the strength bonus based on its level.
- Increased Flesh Heap enemy death radius from 400 to 525.
- Meat Hook
- Increased max distance and cast range from 400/600/800/1000 to 550/700/850/1000.
- Reduced cooldown from 14 to 14/13/12/11.
- Reduced manacost from 140 to 110/120/130/140.
- Old Flesh Heap:
- Each unit Pudge kills grants him 0.03/0.06/0.09/0.12 strength if it was a non-hero unit, and 0.9/1.2/1.5/1.8 if it was a hero.
- Pudge has to make the last hit to gain the strength. Works on denies.
- Grants Pudge 4%/8%/12%/16% magic resistance.
- New Flesh Heap:
- Whenever an enemy hero dies within 400 radius of Pudge, or Pudge kills an enemy hero from any range, he gains 0.9/1.2/1.5/1.8 strength.
- It doesn't matter how the enemy hero died, if it died within 400 range of Pudge, he gets the strength. Does not work with denies or allied hero deaths.
- Grants Pudge 4%/8%/12%/16% magic resistance.
- Increased armor from -1 to 0 (total armor is now 1.96).
- Pudge can no longer get first blood for Rotting at start.
- Meat Hook
- Fixed bug that caused it to get erractic at long range.
- No longer bends based on environmental props.
- Can no longer hook wards.
- Reduced the cast phase during which Pudge is disabled from 0.5 to 0.4.
- Rot now slows affected enemies by 20%.
- Flesh Heap
- No longer turns Pudge immune to piercing damage.
- Increased strength per killed hero from 0.03/0.06/0.09/0.12 to 0.3/0.6/0.9/1.2 (creep kills still grant 0.03/0.06/0.09/0.12).
- Meat Hook
- No longer turns Pudge invulnerable during the 0.5 second cast phase.
- No longer bends based on Pudge's facing direction.
- Re-added and reworked Pudge (to see the previous Pudge, see here).
To view the old Invoker, see here
- This ability got reworked in the 6.64 gameplay patch.
- This ability is not retroactive. This means the strength bonus will not adapt to the spell's level upon leveling it up and kills made before learning it don't give strength.
- Only gains strength from kills made by Pudge, including denying allied units.
- Each hero kill effectively grants Pudge 17.1/28.5/38/34.2 health, 0.27/0.036/0.045/0.054 health regeneration and 0.9/1.2/1.5/1.8 attack damage.
- Each non-hero kill effectively grants pudge 0.57/1.14/1.71/2.28 health, 0.0009/0.0018/0.0027/0.0036 health regeneration and 0.03/0.06/0.09/0.12 attack damage.
- On each level, Pudge has to kill 34/17/12/9 non-hero units in order to reach 1 point of strength from Flesh Heap through non-hero units.
- Typing -fs into the chat shows Pudge the current amount of strength he gained through Flesh Heap.
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wYyCISNkEI&t=28s