Though he may not look like it, he is one of the strongest gankers and disablers in the entire game, with his combo of three active abilities proving more than sufficient to kill fragile enemy heroes in the early and mid-game. His signature ability, Meat Hook, is a grapple that is thrown out in a straight line; if it snags a target, it will drag them back to Pudge, dealing enormous damage to it if it was an enemy. Although it is difficult to use effectively, it is a very powerful ganking and initiation spell due to its ability to displace enemies, and also has the utility of being able to save an endangered ally. He can then follow up with his ultimate, Dismember, a channeled disable that deals further damage to the target over a few seconds and increases in lethality the more strength Pudge has, while also healing Pudge for its duration. During this period, he can activate Rot to deal even more damage while he is consuming his foe, and use it to slow and finish them off if they survive the initial assault. To supplement his killing power is Flesh Heap, which provides him some magic resistance to reduce the damage he takes from Rot as well as from other enemy spells. The scariest aspect of Flesh Heap though, is that it provides him with a permanent strength bonus with every kill that he participates in, making him harder to kill and increasing the damage of Dismember as the game goes on. None can claim that they do not fear the Butcher, and few can survive his onslaught if he gets his hands on them.
Bio[edit | edit source]
|Pudge, the Butcher|
|Play "When I'm through with these vermin, They'll be fit for a pie!"|
|Role:||Disabler / Initiator / Durable / Nuker|
|Lore:||In the Fields of Endless Carnage, far to the south of Quoidge, a corpulent figure works tirelessly through the night--dismembering, disembowelling, piling up the limbs and viscera of the fallen that the battlefield might be clear by dawn. In this cursed realm, nothing can decay or decompose; no corpse may ever return to the earth from which it sprang, no matter how deep you dig the grave. Flocked by carrion birds who need him to cut their meals into beak-sized chunks, Pudge the Butcher hones his skills with blades that grow sharper the longer he uses them. Swish, swish, thunk. Flesh falls from the bone; tendons and ligaments part like wet paper. And while he always had a taste for the butchery, over the ages, Pudge has developed a taste for its byproduct as well. Starting with a gobbet of muscle here, a sip of blood there...before long he was thrusting his jaws deep into the toughest of torsos, like a dog gnawing at rags. Even those who are beyond fearing the Reaper, fear the Butcher.|
|Voice:||John Patrick Lowrie (Responses)|
Abilities[edit | edit source]
- The Meat Hook travels at a speed of 1450.
- Pudge receives the disables Pudge. It lasts as long as the cast backswing does. buff upon cast, which
- The hook can hit units up to 1100/1200/1300/1400 range away (max travel distance + search radius).
- The search radius is centered around the hook's tip. Getting close to other parts of the hook has no effect.
- Can only affect units while extending, not while retracting. Fully affects invisible units.
- Cannot hit couriers, ancient creeps, Roshan, Warlock
's Golem, Primal Split spirits, and invulnerable or hidden units.
- The hook flies through impassable terrain and trees. It also can drag units over them.
- Hooked enemies are fully disabled for the entire pull duration.
- Allies are not disabled. They can act freely while being pulled by the hook.
- Units hooked onto certain impassable cliffs gain 5 seconds free pathing, allowing them to get down from the cliff.
- The free pathing is lost immediately as soon as the unit gets off the cliff.
- When the hook hits a unit, it provides 500 radius flying vision at the unit's location upon hit for 4 seconds.
- The toggling of Rot is not registered as a spell cast and thus does not proc any on-cast effects.
- Rot does not interrupt Pudge's channeling spells upon toggling.
- The self-damage is lethal, so it can be used to deny oneself.
- The area damage and self-damage are independent from each other, so when the self-damage is blocked, the area damage is still applied.
- The slow and damage are provided by an aura. This aura debuff lingers for 0.5 seconds, even if Rot is toggled off.
- Deals 6/12/18/24 ( 30/36/42/48) damage in 0.2 second intervals. The time intervals are set for the whole game when Rot is toggled the first time.
- The magic resistance stacks multiplicatively with other sources of magic resistance.
- Increases Pudge's total base magic resistance to 29.5%/31%/32.5%/34%.
- It does not matter how an enemy hero within the radius dies, Pudge always gains a stack of Flesh Heap.
- Pudge always gains a stack when he deals the killing blow on an enemy hero within 1600 radius.
- If an enemy dies to Pudge while more than 1600 range away from Pudge, or dies while Pudge is already dead, no stack is gained.
- Cannot gain stacks from killing illusions or hero clones.
- When Pudge kills a Meepo
clone however, he does gain a stack, since killing a Meepo clone also kills the main Meepo.
- When Pudge kills a Meepo
- Each Stack effectively grants Pudge 20/30/40/50 health, 0.03/0.045/0.06/0.075 health regeneration and 1/1.5/2/2.5 attack damage.
- With the talent, they effectively grant 55/65/75/85 health, 0.08/0.1/0.11/0.13 health regeneration and 2.75/3.25/3.75/4.25 attack damage.
- The number of stacks and amount of strength gained can be seen on the status buff icon.
- Upon leveling Flesh Heap, all stacks adapt to its new level.
- Upon gaining a stack, a red "+1" appears above Pudge's head, indicating that he gained a stack.
- If the target becomes invisible, the channeling does not break, but True Sight is not granted.
- Dismember cancels most position changing effects upon cast.
- Deals damage in 1 second intervals, starting immediately upon cast, resulting in up to 3 (6 against non-heroes) damage instances.
- Can deal up to before reductions).
of own strength damage to the target (
- Also heals Pudge for the same amount when fully channeled.
- The damage and heal work independently from each other.
- This means it always heals for the full amount per interval, regardless of how much damage the target takes.
- Pudge's Dismember responses are global and audible to everyone, even through the Fog of War.
Talents[edit | edit source]
| +120 Rot
||25|| +1.75 Flesh Heap|
|-40s Respawn Time||20||+150 Gold/Min|
|+15 Movement Speed||15||+5 Armor|
|+2 Mana Regen||10|| +8 Strength|
- The mana regen is added as a bonus and does not benefit illusions.
- The armor is added as bonus armor, and therefore does not benefit illusions.
- Gold granted from the talent is unreliable gold.
- Respawn reductions cannot reduce respawn time below 1 second.
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
- Gauntlets of Strength
and Circlet give Pudge good early stats, and build into a Bracer. The improved strength helps with last-hitting and provides some HP, while the agility and intelligence give a small amount of armor and mana.
- Healing Salve
allows Pudge to replenish his HP from enemy harass, preventing him from being easily harassed out of lane.
allows Pudge to restore his mana, particularly important as Meat Hook costs a significant amount of mana and being able to cast it more than once in the laning stage allows him to be far more useful.
- Magic Stick
gives Pudge burst HP and mana regen. In particular, the mana can allow him to use Meat Hook one more time even if his mana pool is completely empty, which can score crucial kills in critical situations.
- Boots of Speed
is important to get early on, as Pudge's abysmal movement speed means he has trouble chasing enemies. It allows Pudge to more easily move into position to cast his spells.
can be easily purchased by upgrading existing Gauntlets of Strength and Circlet . It further improves the stat bonuses that Pudge gets while freeing up an inventory slot.
is crucial to purchase early on as a mid Pudge, as he is easy to harass and requires HP and mana sustain. As well, the runes can help him to gank enemies more easily, and refill the Bottle's charges to allow Pudge to roam independently.
- Magic Wand
gives Pudge additional stats and increased charge storage. Both can greatly aid Pudge in granting him survivability and allowing him to more easily cast spells, as a fully-charged Magic Wand can often be all that he needs in order to pull off his full spell combo.
- Tranquil Boots
are cheap, and give Pudge all the bonuses that he needs. The extra armor greatly improves his tankiness and offsets his poor base armor, while the improved movement speed grants increased map mobility and helps him to position for casting Meat Hook from suitable angles. The HP regen keeps his HP topped up, and most importantly mitigates the HP cost of Rot .
- Hood of Defiance
gives Pudge many strong bonuses at a cost-effective price. It grants magic resistance, reducing the amount of damage that Rot deals to Pudge, and extra HP regen to further mitigate its HP cost. It greatly boosts the effectiveness of Flesh Heap , allowing Pudge to easily shrug off magic nukes and make further use of the bonus strength.
- Town Portal Scroll
is important to have on Pudge at all times. Being able to globally re-position around the map to react to enemy movements can give him many more opportunities to gank lone enemies or cripple them in teamfights.
- Aghanim's Scepter
significantly augments the utility of Meat Hook, greatly reducing its cooldown and increasing its damage. It also provides additional attributes, most importantly more mana to mitigate the strain that repeated casting of Meat Hook places on Pudge's mana pool.
- Aether Lens
is a very strong utility item that increases Pudge's overall lethality. It increases the size of his mana pool, as well as providing HP regen to help mitigate the health cost of Rot. Its main utility, however, is in increasing Meat Hook's range up to 1500, allowing him to snag enemies from further away, as well as increasing the damage that all of his spells deal.
- Urn of Shadows
is extremely powerful on Pudge due to his ganking nature. It provides strength for additional HP and base damage, and mana regen to help maintain his mana pool. Charges can be easily acquired through successful ganks, and can be utilized either to heal Pudge and his teammates after successful ganks, particularly to recoup the HP cost of Rot, or can be targeted on enemies as an additional damage nuke to increase the odds of success of future ganks.
- Pipe of Insight
can be upgraded from Hood of Defiance, and provides teamfight utility to Pudge's team. Insight Aura further boosts Pudge's magic resistance and HP regen, while the active can improve teammates' survivability against enemy magic nukes.
- Rod of Atos
improves Pudge's disable potential while providing many strong bonuses at a cost-effective price. The increased intelligence greatly boosts Pudge's ability to cast his spell combo, while the increased HP makes him even tankier. The active's long range allows Pudge to drastically slow an enemy from far away, making them easy targets for Meat Hook.
- Blink Dagger
is extremely powerful in Pudge's hands, allowing him to easily position himself for casting Meat Hook. It should be considered a core item if farm permits.
- Heart of Tarrasque
greatly improves Pudge's strength and HP, making him far more difficult to kill and augmenting the amount of damage that Dismember deals. The passive also allows him to quickly regenerate HP between engagements, and allows him to ignore the HP cost of Rot.
- Shiva's Guard
greatly improves Pudge's survivability against physical damage. The bonus armor and enemy attack speed reduction make Pudge much tankier, while the bonus intelligence greatly improves his ability to cast spells over prolonged periods of time. The active can act as a damage nuke and slow, allowing Pudge to further reduce enemies' movement speed on top of Rot.
- Force Staff
is an easily built support-utility item that greatly improves Pudge's mobility while providing useful bonuses. The intelligence helps him with casting his spells, while the HP regen aids in mitigating Rot's HP cost. The active allows Pudge to re-position himself for casting Meat Hook, save allies who are fleeing from enemies, and even break an enemy's Linken's Sphere prior to casting Dismember.
- Drum of Endurance
gives Pudge all-around stats and can be easily purchased by upgrading an already owned Bracer. In particular, the extra intelligence aids with casting, while the aura boosts his movement speed to aid with positioning and chasing.
- Lotus Orb
is a very strong survivability and disabling item that allows Pudge to use the enemy's spells against them. It provides HP and mana regen, both of which are very useful for maintaining Pudge's health and mana, while the bonus armor aids in survivability against physical damage. Echo Shell can be cast on allies to discourage enemies from targeting them with spells, or can be cast on Pudge himself prior to Dismember to allow him to reflect enemy disables should they try to interrupt him.
- Observer Ward
and Sentry Ward can be very important to purchase on Pudge in order to allow him to be effective. Having vision on the enemy allows him to easily position himself to hit them with Meat Hook, and taking away enemy vision prevents them from spotting his approaches, making it more difficult for them to avoid his attempts to cast Meat Hook.
- Stout Shield
is a useful item to purchase when going mid or off-lane. It greatly mitigates the harass damage that Pudge takes from his lane opponent, increasing his survivability and allowing him to lane more easily.
- Orb of Venom
can be a strong utility purchase when playing in the side lane. Adding an additional slow on top of Rot can greatly inhibit an enemy's movement speed, greatly increasing the odds of securing a kill.
- Ring of Basilius
is a strong early purchase when playing as a side lane Pudge. The increased armor helps mitigate Pudge's weakness against physical damage, while the flat mana regen greatly improves Pudge's mana sustain due to his poor base intelligence. It can be disassembled and both components recycled; the Ring of Protection can be built into Tranquil Boots, while the Sage's Mask can be built into a utility item.
- Gem of True Sight
can be a wise investment on Pudge depending on the enemy lineup. Pudge's inherent tankiness ensures that it does not easily fall into enemy hands, and the detection allows him to de-ward enemy vision and catch invisible heroes more easily.
- Arcane Boots
are a more expensive investment than Tranquil Boots, but can increase Pudge's utility and independent roaming if he can secure an alternate source of HP regen. Improving the size of Pudge's mana pool allows him to more easily utilize his spells, and the mana replenishment allows him to give himself and his teammates more mana as needed.
- Glimmer Cape
can be a useful utility item in Pudge's hands. Improving Pudge's magic resistance reduces the impact of Rot on his HP pool, while the active can aid in invisible initiations and escapes, for allies and Pudge himself. The active also lets Pudge shield himself while channeling Dismember, reducing the odds of enemies hitting him with targeted disables.
- Blade Mail
is a useful survivability item on Pudge. It boosts his armor, giving him survivability against physical damage, and boosts his intelligence to give him more mana for casting spells. The active allows Pudge to use his large HP pool offensively during ganks and teamfights, discouraging enemies from casting counter-nukes against him.
- Veil of Discord
can be a good damage booster item that gives Pudge additional utility. It gives him stats across the board and a large amount of intelligence, as well as additional armor and HP regen. The active reduces enemies' magic resistance, causing them to take more damage from Rot and Dismember, and can boost the damage that allies' magic nukes deal as well.
- Vladmir's Offering
is a useful utility teamfight item that boosts Pudge's survivability. Its aura grants armor and bonus damage, which benefit Pudge and his allies in teamfights, while the HP regen, mana regen and lifesteal allow Pudge to maintain himself between fights.
- Eul's Scepter of Divinity
is a useful utility item that helps Pudge with getting his spells off. The intelligence and mana regen ensure that Pudge always has the mana to cast his spells, and the increased movement speed grants him more mobility to position himself for casting Meat Hook or chasing with Rot. The active can instantly hard-disable an enemy at range, and can be followed up with an easy Meat Hook. It can also be cast on Pudge himself to remove debuffs while providing temporary invulnerability.
- Crimson Guard
is a strong utility item that gives Pudge more teamfight contribution. His tanky nature means that he greatly benefits from the damage block and bonus armor, while the bonus HP helps to make him even harder to kill. The active gives damage block to his entire team, useful for increasing their survivability during a teamfight.
- Guardian Greaves
give Pudge increased survivability and teamfight utility. The heal and mana replenishment greatly aid Pudge and his allies in teamfights, and the aura tremendously improves survivability. The active also removes debuffs from Pudge instantly, allowing him to contribute more effectively in teamfights.
- Scythe of Vyse
is an expensive investment, but greatly improves Pudge's ganking prowess. It gives a great amount of intelligence and mana regen, ensuring that Pudge can cast his disables whenever needed. The Hex allows him to instantly hard-disable an enemy at range, which makes them an easy victim for a follow-up Dismember without needing to immediately expend Meat Hook.
- Ethereal Blade
works well with Pudge, as it makes targets take additional magic damage, does 75 base magic and 2x your attribute (Strength, in Pudge's case), and slows down enemy heroes by 80% for 3 seconds. If going against a physical carry, you can also Ether Blast yourself without the slow penalty for 4 seconds. Keep in mind you still take additional magic damage.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Audio[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- During The International 2015, Dendi wore a Pudge costume while playing in the All-Star Match.
- Pudge's line upon landing a hook on an enemy Play Play Play "Get over here!" is a reference to the character Scorpion from the Mortal Kombat franchise, who uses the same line upon hitting his enemy with a similar hook ability.
- Pudge's line Play "Keep calm and carrion!" is a play on the World War 2 British Propaganda phrase "Keep calm and carry on".
- The reason Pudge's voice lines are done in a Cockney accent might be the popular rhyming slang term that stands for "look"; "butcher's hook", incidentally representing Pudge's signature move.
- Most of Pudge's Dismember
cast lines (Play "Fresh meat!") are a reference to The Butcher from Diablo, a title from Blizzard Entertainment, who also says Play "Fresh Meat" as the player meets it the first time.
- In DotA1, the exact same sound is used by Pudge upon casting Dismember.