Puck the Faerie Dragon is a highly mobile ranged intelligence hero best known for being an extremely unpredictable and slippery target. Puck is commonly played as an initiator and ganker, with spells that are equally useful for super-aggressive maneuvers as well as daring escapes. Expert use of Puck's abilities will let you appear out of nowhere, suddenly leave your enemies crippled and disadvantaged, and get away in the blink of an eye - but mess up your timing or misjudge the situation, and there is little left to save this fragile Hero from death.
- Puck can easily play a solo lane against a dual lane because of Phase Shift, Ethereal Jaunt and Illusory Orb.
- Puck does very well in the middle lane, with the easy access to either side lane for ganking, and access to runes to refill Bottle.
- When escaping from danger, Phase Shift after using Illusory Orb. This way, you can sit invulnerable and wait for the orb to travel before you slip away.
- Blink Dagger is a great item to get, as it helps with initiating and escaping in addition to the many escape methods that Puck has.
- Play mind games on opponents. For example, cast Illusory Orb, and run in a different direction from the orb. Opponents must choose which direction to follow.
- Ethereal Jaunt can be used in combination with some teleports such as Chen's Test of Faith (Teleport) to refill Puck's Bottle. Cast Illusory Orb just before getting sent to the fountain, refill the Bottle, and Ethereal Jaunt back to the Orb before it disappears.
- Illusory Orb does not disappear when Puck dies. This means it is possible to quickly buyback and Ethereal Jaunt to the Orb if it still remains.
- A good initiation combo is as follows: Blink Dagger in to the fight, use Waning Rift, Dream Coil, shoot an Illusory Orb through as many enemies as possible but in a safe direction, Phase Shift, then use Ethereal Jaunt to teleport to the Orb. The silence from Waning Rift is long enough to execute this combination.
- Puck's alternate name was Kupu-Kupu, which means "moth" or "butterfly" in Malay and Bahasa Indonesia language
- Puck was introduced in v6.48 as result of a hero creation contest for the Warcraft III: Frozen Throne fairy dragon model held by the dota-allstars.com forums.
- Puck pays homage to a character of the same name from Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream; aside from Puck's playful attitude, its line "A midsummer nightmare" is also an allusion to the play.
- Since Puck pays homage to a Shakespeare character, most of its lines are delivered in phrasing similar to iambic pentameter.
- Dream Coil no longer ignores invisible units or Illusions
- Aghanim's Scepter Dream Coil snap stun now pierces Spell Immunity
- Aghanim's Scepter Dream Coil snap stun duration increased from 1.5/2.25/3 to 1.5/3/4.5
- Fixed several "missing lane" line bugs for Puck, Mirana, Meepo, Lina, Keeper, Shadow Demon, and Windrunner.
- Updated vision values on these abilities: Unstable Concoction, Phantasm, Waveform, Storm Hammer, Mirror Image, Spirit Lance, Requiem of Souls, Spectral Dagger, Venomous Gale, Earthbind, Dream Coil, Shackleshot, Wall of Replica, Flamebreak, Deafening Blast, Ghost Ship.
- Fixed Phase Shift proccing Essence Aura.
- Fixed being able to cast Phase Shift while rooted.
- Fixed attack range.
- Fixed channel time on level 4 Phase Shift.
- Fixed Ethereal Jaunt not dodging projectiles properly.
- [Undocumented]Updated Puck's textures.
- Fixed Phase Shift sometimes not dodging incoming attack projectiles.
- Fixed some types of spells (like EMP) from causing damage when already Phase Shifted.
- Fixed Ethereal Jaunt from triggering Last Word/Magic Stick.
- Fixed Phase Shift autocasting if you were already stunned before.
- Fixed being able to move in certain situations while auto-casting Phase Shift.
- Fixed a bug with Phase Shift that could let you use it an infinite number of times.
- Fixed endless Phase Shift during Chronosphere.
- Changed legacy keys for the following heroes: Drow Ult from P to M, Puck secondary 1 from D to E, Dazzles Ult from E to W, Enchantress ability1 from P to N.
- Illusory Orb now grants 800/800 flying vision which persists for 3.34 seconds.
- Illusory Orb no longer uses a frontal cone.
- Dream Coil no longer affects illusions.
- Phase Shift is now a channeled ability, so it displays a channel bar and allows actions to be queued after it.
- Fixed a bug with Phase Shift on autocast that could cause him/her/it to get stuck attacking Axe permanently.
- Fixed Phase Shift interaction with various spells.
- Fixed minimap icon disappearing when it used Phase Shift.
- Dream Coil will no longer do its initial attachment to invisible units.
- Fixed Phase Shift avoiding all damag while silenced if set to autocast.
- Fixed Phase Shift autocast not interrupting other actions (ie. continuing to move while shifted).
- Fixed a few bugs with Dream Coil interaction with magic immune.
- Fixed Dream Coil stunning invulnerable units (waveform, omnislash, etc).
- Added a modifier to indicate that you are tethered by Puck's Dream Coil.
- Fixed Puck's autocast Phase Shift not working correctly (still doesn't work correctly with disables).
- Fixed cases where creating a linear projectile directly on yourself would cause it to get stuck. This includes fixes to Fissure, Ghost Ship, Dragon Slave, Arrow, Impale, Waveform, Illusory Orb, Meat Hook, Burrowstrike, Wave of Terror, and Power Shot.
- Fixed abilities not updating their buttons when changing states. (ie. Puck's Ethereal Jaunt).
- Dream Coil:
- Night vision reduced from 1200 to 800.
- Illusory Orb cooldown decreased from 13 to 12.
- Base Damage increased by 5.
- Dream Coil duration increased from 5 to 6 (Aghanim's from 7 to 8).
- Illusory Orb AoE increased from 200 to 225.
- Waning Rift damage increased from 60/120/180/240 to 70/140/210/280.
- Ethereal Jaunt now dodges projectiles.
- Phase Shift autocast removed.
- Phase Shift manacost removed.
- Phase Shift level 4 duration increased from 3 to 3.25 seconds.
- Aghanim Upgraded Dream Coil no longer increases the manacost from the base spell.
- Base damage increased by 4.
- Waning Rift silence duration rebalanced from 0.1/1/2/3 to 0.75/1.5/2.25/3 seconds.
- Waning Rift cooldown from 20 to 16.
- Illusory Orb cooldown decreased from 15 to 13.
- Added Aghanim's Scepter to Puck (5->7 Dream Coil duration, +100 break damage, +50 manacost).
- Illusory Orb manacost increased by 25, Ethereal Jaunt manacost (25) removed.
- Lowered Puck's attack range from 600 to 550.
- Lowered Puck's Intelligence gain per level.
- Increased cool down on Waning Rift.
- Slightly lowered Puck's movement speed.