15 + 1.7
22 + 1.7
25 + 2.4
Puck the Faerie Dragon is a highly mobile ranged intelligence hero best known for being an extremely unpredictable and slippery target. Puck is commonly played as an initiator and ganker, with spells that are equally useful for super-aggressive maneuvers as well as daring escapes. Expert use of Puck's abilities will let you appear out of nowhere, suddenly leave your enemies crippled and disadvantaged, and get away in the blink of an eye - but mess up your timing or misjudge the situation, and there is little left to save this fragile Hero from death.
| Puck, the Faerie Dragon
| Play "The Scrolls of Haize are concise on this matter: with youth comes grave responsibility. A thousand years of youth have fallen behind, and still I fill the time with games."
|| Initiator / Disabler / Escape / Nuker
|| While Puck seems at first glance a mischievous, childish character, this quality masks an alien personality. The juvenile form of a Faerie Dragon, a creature that lives for eons, Puck spends countless millennia in its childish form. So while it is technically true that Puck is juvenile, it will continue to be so when the cities of the present age have sloughed away into dust. Its motives are therefore inscrutable, and what appears to be play may in fact indicate a darker purpose or just its endless fondness for mischief.
|| Jen Taylor (Responses)
- Illusory Orb travels at a speed of 650, resulting in a total of 3 second travel time.
- The orb will emit red pulses for the last 650 distance, indicating that it is about to reach its maximum travel range.
- The orb can damage units up to 2175 range away (1950 travel distance + 225 radius).
- The orb also spawns 4 extra vision fields with the same vision range every 487.5 distance traveled.
- The 4 vision fields last for 3.34 seconds each.
| Ethereal Jaunt
| Teleports Puck to a flying Illusory Orb.
| Cast Time: 0+0.53|
- This ability is automatically learned whenever Illusory Orb is learned.
- This ability stays inactive until Illusory is cast and turns inactive again once the orb of that cast is gone.
- Ethereal Jaunt disjoints projectiles upon cast.
- When 2 orbs are cast in succession, this ability will only stay active for the duration of the first cast orb.
- However, it will always Teleport Puck to its last created orb.
- Damages non-hero units but does not silence them.
- Puck is invulnerable and hidden during Phase Shift, turning it to an invalid target for every spell.
- Puck retains its collision size during Phase Shift.
- Puck can cancel Phase Shift at any time with any action.
- Puck cannot cast this while rooted. On attempt, the player gets the error message "Can't cast this while rooted".
- Every enemy hero within 375 range of the coil upon cast will get linked to it. The links last as long as the coil itself or until broken.
- Walking within 375 range to the coil after cast has no effect.
- Can link heroes up to 1125 range away (750 cast range + 375 coil radius).
- If the linked heroes move 600 range away from the coil, they will break the link and get stunned and damaged.
- It does not matter how far or how fast the hero moves away, the stun and damage will always hit it, if they are not spell immune or invulnerable.
- Dream Coil latches on invisible units and on units in the Fog of War. But the visible link draws to their last known location.
- In the mid lane, a Bottle can provide much needed mana for Puck, as well as provide excellent rune control.
- It is always a good idea to have a Town Portal Scroll, no matter which hero you are playing.
- Magic Stick can help Puck sustain mana and health to keep active in the mid lane.
- Power Treads help Puck in the early-mid game, as they supplement both Puck's small health pool, as well as Puck's mana pool.
- Blink Dagger provides great synergy with Puck's other abilities and further augments Puck's evasive nature.
- A Scythe of Vyse provides a large amount of mana and mana regen (which are useful as Puck's abilities have a large mana cost), as well as having a very effective disable.
- A Bloodstone will eliminate any need for extra mana regen, while also giving you a large amount of HP. However, it should be only picked up if you are snowballing.
- Aghanim's Scepter is really good on Puck against Black King Bar carriers. It Increases coil duration, coil-break damage and coil-break stun duration. Makes Coil-break stun pierce spell immunity.
- A Dagon is a good extension from your core if the enemy team doesn't have the resources to focus you down, as it greatly increases your magic damage.
- Shiva's Guard will increase your mana pool and your resistance to physical damage, which makes it an ideal item against right-click heroes. It will also provide you with a fairly powerful AoE nuke and slow.
- Linken's Sphere is very useful if you are more of an initiator than a damage dealer, and it will also provide you with helpful attribute bonuses.
- Eul's Scepter of Divinity is a useful pickup if your team needs another disable really soon. The extra movement speed and mana regeneration is also very useful on Puck.
- Force Staff gives Puck extra mobility. Can also be used to break Dream Coil to trigger a stun.
- Riki can keep you silenced and slowed, giving him enough time to take a serious toll on your HP, and even if you survive and try to escape, he has a Blink Strike ready to prevent you from getting away. Once he gets his Diffusal Blade, he will have an even easier time not only killing you by slowing you in the smokescreen, but also sapping your mana.
- Early on, Lion can easily one shot you with his Finger of Death, along with the ability to disable you and steal your mana, both things that can easily get Puck killed or forced to go back to base early on.
- Legion Commander will heal off most of your spells, nuke you with her Overwhelming Odds, and easily win against you in duels due to your low HP and armor.
- Huskar can get heavy harass on you, and with his ultimate he can pursue you if you try to escape.
- Wraith King's high HP pool and durability makes him shrug off all of your spells, he can also manage some easy kills on you with his stun if your HP is low enough. Even if you do manage to kill him once, it's unlikely you'll be able to get the second kill.
- Silencer isn't so bad later on, though being silenced is still a pain, but he is especially annoying early on when your mana pool and regen is much lower due to his Curse of the Silent which will frequently see you heading back to base to heal, or wasting your mana-expensive spells to be rid of it.
- Riki can easily sneak up on you and keep you out of the fight with a smokescreen and tons of backstabs, the smokescreen will also prevent you from using your spells and most importantly; your ultimate.
- Normally Bloodseeker is pretty easy to deal with as Puck, but in a team fight he will make you a sitting duck with his Rupture
- Faceless Void will likely make you his first target in his Chronosphere due to you not being able to use shift, jaunt, blink dagger, or any of the normal ways you would be able to get away, not to forget your relatively low HP and armor.
- Huskar's spell immunity and magic resistance can really put a damper on your damage towards him, and due to your rather squishy nature he can easily destroy you in combat.
- Force Staff can be used to catch up to you when you try to escape, especially dangerous if on a hero with a stun.
- Blink Dagger counters you the same way Force Staff does.
- Scythe of Vyse Will make you slow and unable to resist, by the time it wears off there's a good chance you might just be dead.
- Orchid Malevolence is like Scythe of Vyse in that it makes you unable to fight back or use your spells to escape, not quite as effective as Scythe of Vyse but more common and easily gotten.
- Puck already has rather unimpressive armor, and when being attacked by a Desolator it will make you an easier target in team fights.
- Puck can easily play a solo lane against a dual lane because of Phase Shift, Ethereal Jaunt and Illusory Orb.
- Puck does very well in the middle lane, with the easy access to either side lane for ganking, and access to runes to refill Bottle.
- When escaping from danger, Phase Shift after using Illusory Orb. This way, you can sit invulnerable and wait for the orb to travel before you slip away.
- Blink Dagger is a great item to get, as it helps with initiating and escaping in addition to the many escape methods that Puck has.
- Level 4 Phase Shift's duration is long enough to wait out Blink Dagger's 3 second cooldown, allowing Puck to escape from many dangerous situations. Keep in mind that Puck must still turn in the direction blinked. Puck's turn speed is among the lowest of all heroes.
- Play mind games on opponents. For example, cast Illusory Orb, and run in a different direction from the orb. Opponents must choose which direction to follow.
- Ethereal Jaunt can be used in combination with some teleports such as Chen's Test of Faith (Teleport) to refill Puck's Bottle. Cast Illusory Orb just before getting sent to the fountain, refill the Bottle, and Ethereal Jaunt back to the Orb before it disappears.
- Illusory Orb does not disappear when Puck dies. This means it is possible to quickly buyback and Ethereal Jaunt to the Orb if it still remains.
- A good initiation combo is as follows: Blink Dagger in to the fight, use Waning Rift, Dream Coil, shoot an Illusory Orb through as many enemies as possible but in a safe direction, Phase Shift, then use Ethereal Jaunt to teleport to the Orb. The silence from Waning Rift is long enough to execute this combination.
- Puck's alternate name was Kupu-Kupu, which means "moth" or "butterfly" in Malay and Indonesian language
- Puck was introduced in v6.48 as result of a hero creation contest for the Warcraft III: Frozen Throne faerie dragon model held by the dota-allstars.com forums, making Puck to the first (and as of now, the only) community-created hero.
- Puck pays homage to a character of the same name from Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream; aside from Puck's playful attitude, its line "A midsummer nightmare" is also an allusion to the play.
- Since Puck pays homage to a Shakespeare character, most of its lines are delivered in phrasing similar to iambic pentameter.
- Puck is also relatively based off a character in the manga Berserk. One of the main characters of the manga is a fairy/wood elf named Puck.
November 18, 2014 Patch
- Fixed Puck's Dream Coil not playing the cast animation properly.
June 14, 2013 Patch
- Updated Puck's face.
October 25, 2012 Patch
- Fixed several "missing lane" line bugs for Puck, Mirana, Meepo, Lina, Keeper of the Light, Shadow Demon, and Windranger.
- Updated vision values on these abilities: Unstable Concoction, Phantasm, Waveform, Storm Hammer, Mirror Image, Spirit Lance, Requiem of Souls, Spectral Dagger, [ Venomous Gale, Earthbind, Dream Coil, Shackleshot, Wall of Replica, Flamebreak, Deafening Blast, Ghostship.
September 13, 2012 Patch
July 12, 2012 Patch
May 17, 2012 Patch
May 10, 2012 Patch
- Fixed attack range.
- Fixed channel time on level 4 Phase Shift.
April 12, 2012 Patch
March 08, 2012 Patch
- [Undocumented] Updated textures.
February 16, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Phase Shift sometimes not dodging incoming attack projectiles.
- Fixed some types of spells (like EMP) from causing damage when already Phase Shift.
January 19, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Phase Shift from triggering Last Word/Magic Stick.
- Fixed Phase Shift autocasting if you were already stunned before.
- Fixed being able to move in certain situations while auto-casting Phase Shift.
December 01, 2011 Patch
- Fixed a bug with Phase Shift that could let you use it an infinite number of times.
- Fixed endless Phase Shift during Chronosphere.
August 06, 2011 Patch
- Changed legacy keys for the following heroes: Drow Ult from P to M, Puck secondary 1 from D to E, Dazzles Ult from E to W, Enchantress ability1 from P to N.
August 02, 2011 Patch
July 29, 2011 Patch
- Phase Shift is now a channeled ability, so it displays a channel bar and allows actions to be queued after it.
July 22, 2011 Patch
- Fixed a bug with Phase Shift on autocast that could cause him/her/it to get stuck attacking Axe permanently.
July 16, 2011 Patch
July 08, 2011 Patch
- Dream Coil will no longer do its initial attachment to invisible units.
- Fixed Phase Shift avoiding all damag while silenced if set to autocast.
July 01, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Phase Shift autocast not interrupting other actions (ie. continuing to move while shifted).
March 12, 2011 Patch
- Fixed a few bugs with Dream Coil interaction with magic immune.
March 03, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Dream Coil stunning invulnerable units (waveform, omnislash, etc).
February 12, 2011 Patch
- Added a modifier to indicate that you are tethered by Dream Coil.
January 30, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Puck's autocast Phase Shift not working correctly (still doesn't work correctly with disables).
- Fixed cases where creating a linear projectile directly on yourself would cause it to get stuck. This includes fixes to Fissure, Ghostship, Dragon Slave, Arrow, Impale, Waveform, Illusory Orb, Meat Hook, Burrowstrike, Wave of Terror, and Powershot.
January 22, 2011 Patch
- Fixed abilities not updating their buttons when changing states. (ie. Phase Shift).
- Illusory Orb
- Increased projectile speed from 600 to 650.
- Increased travel distance from 1800 to 1950.
- Reduced cooldown from 12 to 11.
- Reduced Dream Coil cooldown from 85 to 75.
- Increased Waning Rift damage from 70/140/210/280 to 100/160/220/280.
- Increased base attack damage from 17-28 to 22-33 (total attack damage is now 47-58).
- Ethereal Jaunt now disjoints projectiles upon cast.
- Phase Shift
- Can no longer be set on auto-cast.
- Reduced manacost from 50/40/30/20 to 0 on each level.
- Increased duration from 0.75/1.5/2.25/3 to 0.75/1.5/2.25/3.25.
- Aghanim's Scepter no longer increases Dream Coil manacost from 100/150/200 to 150/200/250.
- Increased base attack damage from 13-24 to 17-28 (total attack damage is now 42-53).
- Increased Waning Rift silence duration from 0.1/1/2/3 to 0.75/1.5/2.25/3.
- Illusory Orb now starts flashing 1 second before it expires.
- Fixed Waning Rift damage radius being slightly smaller than the silence radius.
- Added Aghanim's Scepter upgrade for Puck: Increases Dream Coil duration from 5 to 7, link break damage 100/150/200 to 200/250/300 and manacost from 100/150/200 to 150/200/250.
- Fixed an exploit possible with Puck.
- Reduced base intelligence and gain from 27 + 3.1 to 25 + 2.4.
The International 4 artwork