Puck the Faerie Dragon is a highly mobile ranged intelligence hero best known for being an extremely unpredictable and slippery target. Puck is commonly played as an initiator and ganker, with spells that are equally useful for super-aggressive maneuvers as well as daring escapes. Expert use of Puck's abilities will let you appear out of nowhere, suddenly leave your enemies crippled and disadvantaged, and get away in the blink of an eye - but mess up your timing or misjudge the situation, and there is little left to save this fragile Hero from death.
Bio[edit | edit source]
Abilities[edit | edit source]
- Illusory Orb travels at a speed of 651 ( 1139.25), resulting in a total of 2.995 second travel time.
- The orb emits red pulses for the last 650 distance, indicating that it is about to reach its maximum travel range.
- The orb has 550 range flying vision.
- The orb also spawns 5 ( 10) vision fields with the same vision range every 390 ( 340) distance traveled.
- These vision fields last for 3.34 seconds each.
- The projectile blocks neutral creep camps.
- This ability is automatically learned whenever Illusory Orb is learned.
- This ability stays inactive until Illusory Orb is cast and turns inactive again once the orb of that cast is gone.
- The cast of Ethereal Jaunt is not registered as a spell cast and thus does not proc any on-cast effects.
- Ethereal Jaunt disjoints projectiles upon cast.
- When two orbs are cast in succession, this ability only stays active for the duration of the first cast orb.
- However, it always teleports Puck to its last created orb.
- Despite the visual effects, the silence and damage are applied instantly in the entire radius.
- The cast of Phase Shift is not registered as a spell cast and thus does not proc any on-cast effects.
- Phase Shift disjoints projectiles upon cast.
- Cannot be cast while rooted.
- Certain items which do not cancel channeling spells (e.g. Shadow Blade or Shiva's Guard) do cancel Phase Shift.
- Puck is invulnerable and hidden during Phase Shift, turning it to an invalid target for every spell.
- Puck retains its collision size during Phase Shift.
- Puck can cancel Phase Shift at any time with any action.
- Every enemy hero within 375 range of the coil upon cast gets linked to it. The links last as long as the coil itself or until broken.
- Walking within 375 range to the coil after cast has no effect.
- Can link heroes up to 1125 range away (750 cast range + 375 coil radius).
- If the linked heroes move 600 range away from the coil, they break the link and get stunned and damaged.
- It does not matter how far or how fast the hero moves away, the stun and damage always hit it, unless they are invulnerable.
- Dream Coil latches on invisible units and on units in the Fog of War. But the visible link draws to their last known location.
Talents[edit | edit source]
|+75% Illusory Orb Distance/Speed||25||+300 Gold/Min|
|+20% Magic Resistance||20||+8% Spell Amplification|
|+20 Movement Speed||15||+40 Damage|
|+150 Health||10||+8 Intelligence|
- Upgrading health increases maximum health capacity and keeps the current health percentage.
- The attack damage is added as bonus attack damage, and therefore does not benefit illusions.
- The magic resistance stacks multiplicatively with other sources of magic resistance.
- Gold granted from the talent is unreliable gold.
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
- Healing Salve helps keep Puck in lane.
- Clarity allows Puck to use Illusory Orb more often in lane.
- Null Talisman and its components gives Puck a decent stats boost.
- Magic Stick can help Puck sustain mana and health to keep active in the mid lane.
- Bottle is optimal for Puck because of his mid presence, and is needed to replenish mana for his early game nukes.
- Town Portal Scroll is always useful for rotating lanes and helping out allies.
- Blink Dagger provides great synergy with Puck's other abilities and further augments Puck's evasive nature.
- Power Treads help Puck in the early-mid game, as they supplement both Puck's small health pool, as well as Puck's mana pool.
- Arcane Boots is a viable alternative, and helps Puck use his magical nukes more often in the early game.
- Veil of Discord is a good item to greatly increase your team's DPS in the early/mid game, which is what Puck should probably strive for. The build-up with 2 Null Talismans is perfect.
- Eul's Scepter of Divinity is a useful pickup if your team needs another disable really soon. It also keeps Puck safe for a few extra seconds until his other escape abilities come off cooldown.
- Aghanim's Scepter is really good on Puck against Black King Bar carriers. It Increases coil duration, coil-break damage and coil-break stun duration. Makes Coil-break stun pierce spell immunity.
- Dagon is a good extension from your core if the enemy team doesn't have the resources to focus you down, as it greatly increases your magic damage.
- Shiva's Guard will increase your mana pool and your resistance to physical damage, which makes it an ideal item against right-click heroes. It will also provide you with a fairly powerful AoE nuke and slow.
- Linken's Sphere is very useful if you are more of an initiator than a damage dealer, and it will also provide you with helpful attribute bonuses.
- Hand of Midas can be a great pick up to help you keep up with farm and scale better. The reasoning behind it is that, once you've farmed a Blink Dagger, you have all the items you need to be effective in team fights. However, as Puck is usually played mid, he can lack the DPS of other mid heroes in the late game, as he does not have the mobility tools to farm as quickly as Storm Spirit or Ember Spirit for example. Hand of Midas will help you keep up and snowball further into the late game, or at least stay relevant.
- Force Staff gives Puck extra mobility. Can also be used to break Dream Coil to trigger a stun.
- Scythe of Vyse provides a large amount of mana and mana regen (which are useful as Puck's abilities have a large mana cost), as well as having a very effective disable.
- Bloodstone will eliminate any need for extra mana regen, while also giving you a large amount of HP. However, it should be only picked up if you are snowballing.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Audio[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Puck's alternate name was Kupu-Kupu, which means "moth" or "butterfly" in the Malay and Indonesian languages.
- Puck was introduced in Version 6.48 as a result of a hero creation contest held on the DotA-Allstars forum, in which players designed a new hero to suit the faerie dragon model from Warcraft III. This makes Puck the first and only hero created by the community.
- Puck pays homage to a character of the same name from Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. Aside from Puck's playful attitude, its line "A midsummer nightmare" is also an allusion to the play.
- Since Puck pays homage to a Shakespeare character, most of its lines are delivered in phrasing similar to iambic pentameter.
- The Version 6.87 Illusory Orb speed change was a developer's joke based on this reddit thread.