Azwraith the Phantom Lancer is a melee agility hard carry and pusher because of his capability of constantly generating multiple illusions in a matter of seconds. He requires deep cunning, positioning, and most importantly, great micromanagement as his illusions might just get in the way rather than help the situation if not utilized correctly. All of his abilities help him in his creation of images, allowing him to always have a companion. He has a nuke skill that deals high damage, slows the target, and creates an illusion at his target's location. His escape skill allows him to turn invisible while creating an illusion to take his place, possibly tricking enemies into wasting their spells and time in trying to kill said illusion. His passive allows him to generate an illusion of himself which procs during an attack. His ultimate gives him magic resistance, an improvement to his skill Juxtapose, but most importantly allows his illusions to generate their own illusions.
 Recommended items
|This article or section may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Dota 2 Wiki's quality standards.
You can help. The discussion page may contain suggestions.
Reason given: Recommended items explanations must not be opinionated or contain suggestions. Please refer to the style guide for more information.
- It is good to get a lot of attack speed later on when your Juxtapose clones become viable so that you have a higher chance of creating a mirror image.
- Don't neglect Strength. It is easy to build all Agility. However, that leaves him open to easy ganks.
- Taking Juxtapose too early will leave Phantom Lancer at a great disadvantage, especially since his attack speed is too low for it to proc at a reliable rate.
- Phantom Lancer's early game mana pool is very low, so it is recommended for him to take multiple levels of Doppelwalk early in the game unless using a soul ring build.
- Phantom Edge gives Phantom Lancer some magic resistance. Because of this, it's considered a better choice to take it over Juxtapose when possible.
- Illusions are counted as Heroes in a target check. However, they receive effects intended for units. An example is Witch Doctor's Paralyzing Cask, which will stun Phantom Lancer's illusions by 5 seconds. Even with this fact, Hero-only spells like Doombringer's LVL? Death can be casted on images.
- Watch out for Earthshaker! His Echo Slam also generates an echo for every illusion.
- Creating confusion for your enemies is what the Phantom Lancer is all about! Doppelwalk illusions to cause unnecessary chases, wasted Meat Hooks, pointless ultimates, and frustration for your enemy! Be careful to pay attention to the real Phantom Lancer for whatever he's doing while your clones run around, however!
- Illusions can have Shallow Grave cast on them if a Dazzle is on your team; you can further fool your enemy by making them chase the wrong Phantom Lancer
- Often times, you're better off using your Doppelwalk illusion to scout for enemy heroes lurking around in the forests early game instead of trying to use it to farm creeps.
- When choosing an item build, remember that not all passive abilities are shared with illusions.
- Phantom Lancer has the most agility gain (+4.2 agility per level) and total stat gain(+7.9 per level).
- In DotA, Phantom Lancer's appearance was heavily based on Kihmari Ronso, a playable character in the RPG game Final Fantasy X. As such, the Phantom Lancer of Dota 2 gained many similarities with Kihmari, namely the blue skin, humanoid feline appearance, and halberd weapon.
- Phantom Lancer is sometimes referred to as "Cancer Lancer" amongst players, due to his ability to replicate and spread phantoms through the map in the late-game, mimicking the spread of cancerous cells through the body.
 Update history
- Fixed being able to have 1 juxtapose illusion too many.
- Fixed an issue where illusions made by a player on the other team would create uncontrollable Juxtapose illusions.
- Fixed not reproducing his abilities (including stat bonuses) correctly on his Doppelwalked illusion.
- Fixed Doppelwalked illusions never Juxtaposing.
- Updated vision values on these abilities: Unstable Concoction, Phantasm, Waveform, Storm Hammer, Mirror Image, Spirit Lance, Requiem of Souls, Spectral Dagger, Venomous Gale, Earthbind, Dream Coil, Shackleshot, Wall of Replica, Flamebreak, Deafening Blast, Ghost Ship.
- Fixed Doppelwalk illusions not correctly replicating their inventory item slots.
- Fixed bug where Doppelwalk illusions weren’t getting stats from their attribute bonus.
- Fixed bug where a red ring was visible to the opposing team under an invisible PL after his Doppelwalk illusion died.
- Fixed bug when Doppelwalking where there would sometimes be a visible jump in PL’s health bar to the enemy team.
- Fixed some values in damage output/input from Juxtapose illusions.
 Balance changelog
- Spirit Lance, Doppelwalk, Juxtapose and Phantom Edge illusions damage dealt decreased from 25% to 20%.
- Collision size decreased from 24 to 8.
- Agility growth increased from 2.8 to 4.2.
- Spirit Lance slow duration increased from 3 to 3.25 seconds.
- Doppelwalk movement bonus increased from 10 to 15%.
- Juxtapose illusions cap increased from 2/3/4/5 to 2/4/6/8.
- Base HP regeneration increased to 0.75.
- Juxtapose rebalanced to have a 12% creation chance at all levels with a max of 2/3/4/5 illusions.
- Strength growth reduced from 2.0 to 1.7.
- Juxtapose illusions now take 450% extra damage (up from 400%).
- Juxtapose image lifetime increased from 15 to 20 seconds.
- Various changes to Phantom Lancer and Spirit Lance.
- Phantom Lancer's images now create a dummy Spirit Lance effect when the primary casts it.
- Improved initial AI on Doppelwalk image to make it less obvious when it's created.
- Changed Phantom Edge's secondary ability from evasion to magic resistance.
- Increased Phantom Lancer's Strength gain.
 See also