| Hit Points
| Attacks / Second
|Base Attack Time
Azwraith the Phantom Lancer is a melee agility carry and pusher because of his capability of generating multiple illusions in a matter of seconds. He requires deep cunning, positioning, and most importantly, great micromanagement as his illusions might just get in the way rather than help the situation if not utilized correctly. Many of his abilities help him in his creation of images, allowing him to always have a companion. He has a nuke ability in Spirit Lance, which deals high damage, slows the target, and creates an illusion at his target's location. His escape ability Doppelganger allows him to quickly relocate himself and any nearby illusions while creating additional ones, possibly tricking enemies into wasting their spells and time in trying to kill said illusions. His passive Phantom Rush allows him and his illusions to close the distance toward a target when issued an attack order, giving him the ability to quickly focus single targets in battle. His ultimate Juxtapose gives him the ability to generate a large number of illusions when attacking a target, while giving said illusions the ability to replicate themselves as well. Phantom Lancer is an extremely mobile hero who is hard to pin down and can quickly overwhelm his opponents in battle.
| Azwraith, the Phantom Lancer
| Play "We outnumbered you. We outnumber them all!"
|| Carry / Escape / Pusher
|| The remote village of Pole had no knowledge of the wars raging in the heart of the kingdom. For them, the quiet of spear fishing and a family meal were all that a full life required. Yet war came for them nonetheless. Joining the able-bodied conscripts as they filed past their homes, the humble lancer Azwraith vowed to bring peace to his kingdom, and in so doing, his people. Placed with his kin in the vanguard of the final assault against the Dread Magus Vorn, the cost to his fellows was absolute. As the charging force battled toward the fortress, Azwraith alone among his kind remained standing, and he alone was able to infiltrate the keep. Focused and infuriated by the slaughter of his brothers, Azwraith bested each of the wizard's deadly traps and conjured guardians. Soon the simple fisherman arrived at Vorn's tower sanctum. The pair dueled through the night, pike to staff, as chaos raged below, and with a deafening cry Azwraith pierced his enemy. But the wizard did not simply expire; he exploded into uncountable shards of light, penetrating his killer with power. As the dust settled and the smoke of combat began to clear, Azwraith found himself standing among a throng of his kin. Each seemed to be dressed as he was, each seemed armed as he was, and he could sense that each thought as he did. Aware that his allies were approaching, he willed these phantoms to hide themselves, and one by one they began to vanish into nothingness. As the soldiers came upon the sanctum, they found the warrior that had bested the wizard. When they approached their champion, the lancer vanished. The pikeman who had stood before them was no more than another phantom.
|| Barry Dennen (Responses)
- Illusions of Phantom Lancer within 675 radius of Phantom Lancer will cast a fake Spirit Lance.
- They will play the whole cast animation and release their fake lances at the same time the real Spirit Lance is released.
- When illusions currently aren't having any order and are standing still, they'll turn and face the target and cast the fake lance.
- When illusions are moving or attacking, they will continue to do so and will not face the target. They still will play the cast animation, overriding their move or attack animations.
- When canceling the cast, the illusions will still play the full cast animation, but won't release fake lances.
- The fake lances do not interact with anything, deal no damage, don't slow and spawn no illusions.
- Has an instant cast time. Interrupts channeling spells.
- Phantom Lancer cannot do anything during the reappear delay. Any order given during it will be queued as next order.
- Phantom Lancer and the 2 created illusions will face the direction Phantom Lancer was facing upon cast.
- Other illusions which got gathered will keep their previous facing angle.
- Phantom Lancer and his illusions are position into formation shaped like a plus (+).
- Illusions which were moving or attacking a target will continue to move or attack their target after reappearing.
- The 600% damage taking and 20% damage dealing illusion looks like any other illusion Phantom Lancer can create.
- The normal damage taking and no damage dealing illusion is brighter and can be distinguished by Phantom Lancer and his allies from other illusions.
- Destroys trees within 200 radius of Phantom Lancer and every affected illusion.
- Requires a direct attack order to trigger. Auto attacks or attack ground orders do not trigger Phantom Rush.
- Cannot rush through units or over impassable terrain.
- However, units which cannot be attacked (invulnerable, target in ethereal state), cannot be targeted and rushed towards.
- Applies a haste effect on Phantom Lancer. Means his movement speed cannot be slowed while having the buff.
- Phantom Lancer can stop the rush by changing the attack target, issuing a stop order, casting a targeted spell or using certain items.
- The following items can be used during the rush without canceling it:
- Animal Courier, Arcane Boots, Armlet of Mordiggian, Black King Bar, Blade Mail, Bottle, Buckler, Butterfly, Cheese, Crimson Guard, Drum of Endurance, Dust of Appearance, Ghost Scepter, Magic Stick, Magic Wand, Mask of Madness, Mekansm, Necronomicon, Pipe of Insight, Phase Boots, Power Treads, Radiance, Refresher Orb, Ring of Aquila, Ring of Basilius, Shadow Blade, Satanic, Shiva's Guard and Soul Ring.
- Ensnares do not cause Phantom Lancer to lose the buff and he will continue rushing once the ensnare expires.
- Entangles don't make him lose the buff either, but he will not automatically continue rushing once the entangle expires.
- Taunts cause Phantom Lancer to rush the taunting unit instead without making him lose the buff. Forced attacks caused by taunts also don't make him lose it.
- When the target turns hidden, invisible, teleports far away or moves into the Fog of War, Phantom Lancer will rush towards the unit's last known location.
- Ring of Aquila is a cheap way to get some damage and mana regen, so that you can use Spirit Lance more.
- Diffusal Blade has one of the few attack modifiers that work with illusions, and it isn't watered down by the illusion's reduced damage - each hit from an illusion of Phantom Lancer will burn the full amount of mana, and deal the full amount of corresponding damage. It also gives a large amount of Phantom Lancer's primary attribute, agility.
- Manta Style, when activated, will Purge debuffs, and create some instant illusions which can then multiply on their own.
- Heart of Tarrasque provides Phantom Lancer with a large amount of much-needed HP, which carries over to his illusions making them harder to kill.
- Butterfly is a damage item that is a worthwhile late-game pickup on most agility carries. Illusions will also benefit from the evasion.
- Sange and Yasha provides strength and agility, both of which are useful on Phantom Lancer, as well as his illusions.
- Daedalus may be purchased if you need your illusions to deal extra damage, as they receive the critical strike.
- Though attack speed is still important on Phantom Lancer and still a by-product of making the hero stronger, it is no longer needed as much to create images as he now creates an image on every other attack at level 16.
- Illusions are counted as Heroes in a target check. However, they receive effects intended for units. An example is Witch Doctor's Paralyzing Cask, which will stun Phantom Lancer's illusions by 5 seconds. Even with this fact, Hero-only spells like Doom's LVL? Death can be casted on images.
- Watch out for Earthshaker! His Echo Slam also generates an echo for every illusion.
- Creating confusion for your enemies is what the Phantom Lancer is known for along with outnumbering the enemy. Use illusions to cause unnecessary chases, wasted skillshots, pointless ultimates, and frustration for your enemy. But be sure to pay attention to the real Phantom Lancer while your illusions run around, however.
- Illusions can have Shallow Grave cast on them if a Dazzle is on your team; you can further fool your enemy by making them chase the wrong Phantom Lancer.
- When choosing an item build, remember that not all passive abilities are shared with illusions.
- In DotA, Phantom Lancer's in-game model was a fan interpretation of Kimahri Ronso, a playable character in the RPG game Final Fantasy X. As such, the Phantom Lancer of Dota 2 gained many similarities with Kimahri, namely the blue skin, humanoid feline appearance, and halberd weapon.
March 28, 2013 Patch
- Fixed being able to have 1 juxtapose illusion too many.
February 28, 2013 Patch
- Fixed an issue where illusions made by a player on the other team would create uncontrollable Juxtapose illusions.
November 08, 2012 Patch
- Fixed not reproducing his abilities (including stat bonuses) correctly on his Doppelwalk illusion.
- Fixed Doppelwalk illusions never Juxtaposing.
October 25, 2012 Patch
- Updated vision values on these abilities: Unstable Concoction, Phantasm, Waveform, Storm Hammer, Mirror Image, Spirit Lance, Requiem of Souls, Spectral Dagger, Venomous Gale, Earthbind, Dream Coil, Shackleshot, Wall of Replica, Flamebreak, Deafening Blast, Ghost Ship.
July 26, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Doppelwalk illusions not correctly replicating their inventory item slots.
May 10, 2012 Patch
- Enabled Phantom Lancer in Captain's Mode.
May 04, 2012 Patch
- Fixed bug where Doppelwalk illusions weren't getting stats from their attribute bonus.
- Fixed bug where a red ring was visible to the opposing team under an invisible PL after his Doppelwalk illusion died.
- Fixed bug when Doppelwalking where there would sometimes be a visible jump in PL’s health bar to the enemy team.
- Fixed some values in damage output/input from Juxtapose illusions.
May 03, 2012 Patch
- Added Phantom Lancer!
January 12, 2012 Patch
- Juxtapose max illusions reduced from 6/8/10 to 5/7/9
- Removed from Captain's Mode
- Agility gain reduced from 4.2 to 3.0
- Base Agility increased from 23 to 29
- Base Strength increased from 18 to 21
- Reworked Phantom Lancer:
- Collision size decreased from 24 to 8.
- Agility growth increased from 2.8 to 4.2.
- Spirit Lance slow duration increased from 3 to 3.25 seconds.
- Doppelwalk movement bonus increased from 10 to 15%.
- Juxtapose illusions cap increased from 2/3/4/5 to 2/4/6/8.
- Undid melee hero collision change from 6.72c
- Base HP regeneration increased to 0.75.
- Juxtapose rebalanced to have a 12% creation chance at all levels with a max of 2/3/4/5 illusions.
- Melee hero collision size now reduced from 24 to 12.
- Rebalanced all Melee heroes between 100 and 128 range to be 128 range
- Phantom Lancer previously had 100 range.
- Strength growth reduced from 2.0 to 1.7.
- Juxtapose illusions now take 450% extra damage (up from 400%).
- Juxtapose image lifetime increased from 15 to 20 seconds.
- Various changes to Phantom Lancer and Spirit Lance.
- Reworked Spirit Lance
- Phantom Lancer images now create a dummy Spirit Lance effect when the real one casts it
- Lowered Doppelwalk invisibility duration from 12 to 8
- Increased and Standardized all Phantom Lancer images' percentage of damage taken
- Lowered maximum image count
- Improved initial AI on Doppelwalk image to make it less obvious when it's created.
- Changed Phantom Edge's secondary ability from evasion to magic resistance.
- Increased Phantom Lancer's Strength gain.
- Improved base Intelligence on Phantom Lancer
- Improved how Doppelwalk levels
- Minor armor buff (usually 1) to most melee heroes
- Phantom Lancer from str 19+2.0 to 18+1.5
- Removed Phantom Lancer banish after spirit lance
- Spirit lance now cripples for 3 seconds,(10/20/30/40 speed reduction)
- Dopplewalk ww duration now 12 seconds
- Phantom Lancer cripple duration 2.5 seconds from 3 seconds.
- Phantom Lancer can phase through units while Doppelwalk is active.
| Juxtapose (Old)
| Phantom Lancer's attacks have a chance to create illusions to confuse enemies.
| Chance: 12%|
Maximum Illusions: 2/4/6/8
Illusion Duration: 20
Illusion Bonus Damage Taken: 350%
Illusion Damage Dealt: 20%
|Each of Azwraith's lance attacks feels like two from a normal warrior; or three; or four..
| Phantom Edge
| Phantom Lancer hones his abilities. Improves chance of Juxtaposing, and the Juxtapose illusions can now create their own illusions. Phantom Edge also increases Phantom Lancer's magic resistance.
| Magic Resistance: 10/15/20%|
Juxtapose Chance Bonus: 2/4/6%
Juxtapose Illusion Duplication Chance: 3/5/7%
|Azwraith accepts his fate, embracing his infinite army of phantoms.
- Magic resistance stacks with that from items.
- Total magic resistance with Phantom Edge is 32.5%/36.25%/40%.
- All illusions of Phantom Lancer benefit from Phantom Edge and has a chance to create illusions e.g. Doppelwalk, Spirit Lance, Manta Style, illusion rune and even hostile illusions, such as those created by Shadow Demon's Disruption.