Azwraith the Phantom Lancer is a melee agility carry and pusher because of his capability of generating multiple illusions in a matter of seconds. He requires deep cunning, positioning, and most importantly, great micromanagement as his illusions might just get in the way rather than help the situation if not utilized correctly. Many of his abilities help him in his creation of images, allowing him to always have a companion. He has a nuke ability in Spirit Lance, which deals high damage, slows the target, and creates an illusion at his target's location. His escape ability Doppelganger allows him to quickly relocate himself and any nearby illusions while creating additional ones, possibly tricking enemies into wasting their spells and time in trying to kill said illusions. His passive Phantom Rush allows him and his illusions to close the distance toward a target when issued an attack order, giving him the ability to quickly focus single targets in battle. His ultimate Juxtapose gives him the ability to generate a large number of illusions when attacking a target, while giving said illusions the ability to replicate themselves as well. Phantom Lancer is an extremely mobile hero who is hard to pin down and can quickly overwhelm his opponents in battle.
Bio[edit | edit source]
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Also stops the lance from bouncing when hitting a spell immune unit.
- Spirit Lance travels at a speed of 1000 and can be disjointed.
- Illusions of Phantom Lancer within 675 radius of Phantom Lancer cast a fake Spirit Lance.
- They play the whole cast animation and release their fake lances at the same time the real Spirit Lance is released.
- When illusions currently are not having any order and are standing still, they turn towards the target and cast the fake lance.
- When illusions are moving or attacking, they continue to do so and do not face the target. They still play the cast animation, overriding their move or attack animations.
- When canceling the cast, the illusions still play the full cast animation, but do not release fake lances.
- The fake lances do not interact with anything, deal no damage, do not slow and spawn no illusions.
- Can never hit the same unit twice per cast.
- All bounces together can deal up to 500/750/1000/1250 damage (before reductions).
- Doppelganger disjoints projectiles upon cast.
- Applies a basic dispel on Phantom Lancer upon cast.
- Phantom Lancer cannot do anything during the reappear delay. Any order given during it is queued as next order.
- Phantom Lancer and the 2 created illusions face the direction Phantom Lancer was facing upon cast.
- Other illusions which got gathered keep their previous facing angle.
- Phantom Lancer and his illusions reappear in a formation shaped like a plus (+).
- Illusions which were moving or attacking a target continue to move or attack their target after reappearing.
- The 600% damage taking and 20% damage dealing illusion looks like any other illusion Phantom Lancer can create.
- The normal damage taking and no damage dealing illusion is brighter and can be distinguished by Phantom Lancer and his allies from other illusions.
- Doppelganger cannot be interrupted by anything except death. This means when getting teleported (with e.g. Glimpse), Phantom Lancer still appears at the targeted area.
- Destroys trees within 200 radius of Phantom Lancer and every affected illusion upon reappearing.
- Requires a direct attack order to trigger. Auto attacks or attack ground orders do not trigger Phantom Rush.
- Cannot rush through units or over impassable terrain.
- Applies a haste effect on Phantom Lancer, meaning his movement speed cannot be slowed while having the buff.
- Disarm or ethereal effects do not prevent Phantom Lancer from rushing.
- However, units which cannot be attacked (e.g. invulnerable or ethereal units) cannot be targeted and rushed towards.
- Upon triggering, Phantom Lancer receives the rush buff, which grants the haste on him.
- This buff lasts for up to 5 seconds, until Phantom Lancer successfully hits the rush target, or until he receives another order.
- Non-targeted items do not cancel the rush. Items which can be double-clicked to cast on self still count as targeted.
- The rush buff is also lost when Phantom Lancer gets stunned, cycloned, slept, hexed or hidden.
- Roots do not cause Phantom Lancer to lose the buff and he continues rushing once the ensnare expires.
- Taunts cause Phantom Lancer to rush towards the taunting unit instead without making him lose the buff. Forced attacks caused by taunts do not make him lose it either.
- When the target turns hidden, invisible or moves into the Fog of War, Phantom Lancer rushes towards the unit's last known location.
- Phantom Lancer gains the agility buff upon successfully attacking an enemy while having the rush buff still on.
- Since giving a new attack order cancels the rush, he can gain the buff by only attacking the rush target.
- The attack has to successfully hit the target. He does not gain the buff missed attacks (or on disjointed attacks if the ability is used by ranged heroes).
- The rush buff disappears as soon as he gains the agility buff.
- This means if the rush gets canceled in any other way than by an attack on the target, no agility is gained.
- The chance to spawn illusions only triggers upon attacking.
- Juxtapose uses pseudo-random distribution.
- Illusions created by Juxtapose attack the target that the ability was triggered upon.
- This means that illusions created by Juxtapose use Phantom Rush when their target is in correct range.
- Affects all illusions of Phantom Lancer, not just the ones from his abilities.
Talents[edit | edit source]
|+600 Phantom Rush Range||25||+20 Strength|
|15% Evasion||20||+15% Magic Resistance|
|15% Cooldown Reduction||15||+8 All Stats|
|+20 Attack Speed||10||+150 Health|
- Upgrading health increases maximum health capacity and keeps the current health percentage.
- Cooldown reduction affects abilities and items. Stacks multiplicatively with Octarine Core and additively with Arcane Rune.
- The magic resistance stacks multiplicatively with other sources of magic resistance.
- The evasion stacks multiplicatively with other sources of evasion.
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
- Tango helps keep Phantom Lancer alive longer during the early game.
- Healing Salve is a standard regeneration item that are useful for any hero to stay in lane longer.
- Enchanted Mango helps Phantom Lancer endure harassment, and can be consumed to get off one last Spirit Lance or Doppelganger.
- Ring of Protection is one of the components for a Ring of Basilius, which builds later into Ring of Aquila, but it cannot be purchased at the side shop.
- Iron Branches provides an extremely cost effective increase to his attributes, and can later be built into a Magic Wand.
- Ring of Aquila is a cheap way to get some damage and mana regeneration, so Spirit Lance can be used more often.
- Magic Wand is a useful tool for keeping Phantom Lancer alive, especially when being ganked. It also provides a little more mana to use an extra Spirit Lance or Doppelganger.
- Poor Man's Shield is recommended when facing physical harassment in lane.
- Infused Raindrop is recommended when facing magical harassment in lane. It also provides some protection against magical nukers, which are often picked against Phantom Lancer.
- Power Treads give Phantom Lancer stats and attack speed, which illusions can take advantage of, and makes it easier to proc Juxtapose.
- Diffusal Blade is the most important item for Phantom Lancer, because its mana burn works on all of his illusions, allowing Phantom Lancer to quickly deplete an opponent's mana.
- The mana burn damage is not reduced for his illusions, therefore greatly increases his damage output when more illusions are spawned.
- The extra agility increases Phantom Lancer's primary attribute, giving him more damage.
- The active Purge slows enemies, and combined with Phantom Rush, helps Phantom Lancer chase down enemies and overwhelm them with illusions.
- Upgrading to a Diffusal Blade 2 is cheap and recommended, but mostly after the charges of Purge are expended.
- Manta Style will purges debuffs from Phantom Lancer, and provide him with a second disjoint mechanism. It can also be used to create extra illusions, which last longer and hit harder, and can multiply on their own with Juxtapose. Extra illusions are especially useful for split pushing against towers.
- Vladmir's Offering is often picked up to supplement Phantom Lancer's health through lifesteal, and help him last longer in teamfights.
- Vanguard makes Phantom Lancer significantly tankier, and is useful for split pushing. For late game teamfights, it can be ugpraded into an Abyssal Blade.
- Heart of Tarrasque provides Phantom Lancer with a large amount of much-needed HP, which carries over to his illusions, thus making them harder to kill. Phantom Lancer's natural elusiveness will make it easy for him to blend in with his illusions and regenerate mid-fight.
- Butterfly is a damage item that is a worthwhile late-game pickup on most agility carries. Illusions will also benefit from the evasion, making them and Phantom Lancer himself much more durable.
- Sange and Yasha provides strength and agility, both of which are useful on Phantom Lancer, as well as his illusions. However, it is not recommended if Phantom Lancer already has a Manta Style, as the speed bonus from Yasha does not stack.
- Daedalus is the final damage item that can be purchased if Phantom Lancer is struggling against tankier heroes. His illusions will also receive the critical strike bonus.
- Radiance makes Phantom Lancer an intimidating pusher, as the burn damage aura works on his illusions, and enemies are unlikely to move out of its range due to Phantom Rush and Spirit Lance. The minor blind effect also helps Phantom Lancer stay alive.
- Boots of Travel makes Phantom Lancer a powerful split-pusher in the late game, and also allows him to return to base after generating an illusion army to push down lanes.
- Eye of Skadi's passive slow benefits illusions, and works together with Diffusal Blade's mana burn, rendering enemies helpless and unable to escape Phantom Lancer.
- Abyssal Blade allows Phantom Lancer to stun targets, giving him the time to land multiple hits and generate illusions.
- Monkey King Bar is highly situational, and should only be purchased against evasion heroes, or in the late game as a luxury item. It provides a decent damage boost, and its mini-bash helps lock down targets, but does not work on Phantom Lancer's illusions.
- Black King Bar is less common on Phantom Lancer than on other carries, but is sometimes necessary against enemies with numerous disables.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Audio[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In DotA, Phantom Lancer's in-game model was a fan interpretation of Kimahri Ronso, a playable character in the RPG game Final Fantasy X. As such, the Phantom Lancer of Dota 2 gained many similarities with Kimahri, namely the blue skin, humanoid feline appearance, and halberd weapon.
- Phantom Lancer's model shares design similarities with, and may have been based on earlier concepts of Monkey King.