Harbinger the Outworld Devourer is a ranged intelligence hero who qualifies as a carry, though unlike traditional carries, he excels against high-armor targets whilst being crippled by spell immunity. With Arcane Orb, his damage output is reliant on his intelligence attribute and the size of his mana pool, so he must focus more or less exclusively on items which augment them. Though he lacks somewhat in range and has no innate mobility skills, Arcane Orb deals Pure damage, meaning that if he gains an advantage in a match he deals constant, colossal damage which cannot be decreased or resisted except with total spell immunity. He and his allies enjoy more-or-less unlimited mana because of his Essence Aura, which gives them a chance to replenish a percentage of their mana upon casting a spell. With Astral Imprisonment, Harbinger can render himself or an ally invulnerable for a short period of time, or disable (and steal Intelligence from) the target enemy. His ultimate, Sanity's Eclipse, can instantly deal colossal area-of-effect damage against his enemies based on how much greater his intelligence is than theirs.
| Harbinger, the Outworld Devourer
| Play "Their sanity I'll shatter; their dreams of conquest I'll destroy."
|| Carry / Nuker / Disabler
|| One of a lordly and magisterial race, Harbinger prowls the edge of the Void, sole surviving sentry of an outpost on the world at the rim of the abyss. From this jagged crystalline Outworld, forever on guard, he has gazed for eternities into the heavens, alert for any stirring in the bottomless night beyond the stars. Imprinted deep in the shining lattices of his intellect lies a resonant pattern akin to prophecy, a dark music implying that eventually some evil will wake out there, beyond the edges of creation, and turn its attention to our world. With his whole being focused on his vigil, Outworld Devourer paid little attention to events closer in to the sun. But at last the clamor of the Ancients, and a sense of growing threat from within as well as without, sent him winging sunward to visit the plains of war. Harbinger's place in our own prophecies is unambiguous: he must be considered an omen of worse things to come. But his arrival in itself is bad enough.
|| Tom Chantler (Responses)
- Deals its damage in a seperate instance, so it is unaffected by any attack modifying effect.
- Deals its damage before the attack damage is applied, but still depends on the attack hitting the target.
- Checks Outworld Devourer's mana pool upon projectile hit, so increasing or decreasing his mana pool while the projectile flies does affect its damage.
- Can be cast on self or allied heroes, without stealing their intelligence.
- When cast on an enemy, it steals his intelligence directly upon cast.
- Cannot steal intelligence from illusions, but from Meepo clones:
- When stealing intelligence from the primary Meepo, only he loses intelligence and the clones still keep theirs.
- When stealing intelligence from one of the clones, Outworld Devourer gains a stack, but without reducing the clone's intelligence.
- Cannot reduce enemy intelligence below 0, but Outworld Devourer always gains the full amount of intelligence, no matter how much the target has left.
- Effectively reduces the enemy's max mana pool by 52/91/130/169, mana regeneration by 0.16/0.28/0.4/0.52 and if it is an intelligence hero, attack damage by 4/7/10/13.
- On the other side, Outworld Devourer's max mana pool is increased by 52/91/130/169, mana regeneration by 0.16/0.28/0.4/0.52 and attack damage by 4/7/10/13.
- Ontop of that, it also reduces the enemy's current mana pool by 52/91/130/169 right before reducing their intelligence, while increasing Outworld Devourer's by the same amount.
- This effectively reduces the cost of Astral Imprisonment to 68/49/30/11 mana.
- When the target gets its stolen intelligence back, it also gets its current mana increased and Outworld Devourer reduced by the same amount.
- Upon death, the dying hero's intelligence restores back to its normal values, while the other party keeps the changed intelligence values for the remaining duration.
- The red ring expanding at the center of the visual effects indicates the duration of the imprisonment. The red ring is visible to allies only.
- However, it is only adapted to level 4, means at level 1 it expands for 1/4, on 2 for 1/2, on level 3 for 3/4 and only at level 4 in expands up to the edge.
- The -disablehelp command prevents an allied Outworld Devourer from casting this spell on you .
- Applies the damage first, and then the mana loss ( and then puts them into Astral Imprisonment).
- Due to his ultimate, Sanity's Eclipse, Outworld Devourer needs to outmatch his enemies' intelligence. Boosting intelligence also boosts his mana pool, increasing the power of Arcane Orb, the main source of his damage.
- Boots of Speed will make Harbinger even faster, what is important in middle lane.
- Bottle allows for lane control and sustainability through runes and crowing.
- Black King Bar will help Harbinger protect against disables, as well as most damage-heavy abilities.
- Scythe of Vyse provides him with both additional Intelligence and a silencing disable, giving him more time to deal damage with his Arcane Orb.
- Shiva's Guard will give him more armor for survivability, as well as more intelligence. The slow also helps him either chase, or escape.
- Octarine Core gives the biggest mana pool and great "lifesteal" effect.
- Aghanim's Scepter gives him even more attributes, as well as improve his ultimate. The additional attribute bonus can also aid his tankiness.
- Refresher Orb allows to cast Sanity's Eclipse twice which can be huge in teamfights. It also has great synergy with Aghanim's Scepter, because after first Sanity's Eclipse and auto-astral imprisonments he gains the intelligence bonus for second usage.
- Orchid Malevolence gives him even more Intelligence and attack speed, and also gives him a Silence ability that also amplifies his damage for the time period.
- Rod of Atos will provide him with additional health and Intelligence, as well as a slowing ability against a single target.
- One of Harbinger's significant weaknesses is his fragility. Avoid taking in too much damage; if so, you will miss out on potential gold and experience, as well as put your team in danger by not dealing the needed extra damage against your enemies. Try to fight in the sidelines, or when your enemies are too busy to attack you. His defense can be boosted through items, but make sure not to deprive him of too much intelligence.
- Try to level up as much as possible in the early stages of the game, be it from farming or killing other heroes. The more you advance in level, the more Intelligence and gold you will receive. The more Intelligence and gold you receive, the better you will dominate in the mid and later game. OD is extremely powerful in the later game, provided he farms well in the laning phase.
- Level up Harbinger's Essence Aura fairly quickly so that he can solve his mana problems. Essence Aura can also make a good support ability for your allies, especially if they rely heavily on casting spells.
- Astral Imprisonment is Harbinger's disabling ability, and can be used in numerous ways:
- Early in the game, it can be used to harass against heroes you are laning against. It is easiest to land against melee heroes, but effective against most heroes (though sometimes for differing reasons.)
- Strength and Agility heroes are good targets, since Astral Imprisonment steals intelligence from their already low supply. They can repeatedly be disabled to the point that they are unable to cast spells (the steal stacks three to five times depending on its level, stealing a total of 12/18/32/50 intelligence).
- Intelligence heroes, on the other hand, lose damage as well as have their mana pool lowered, while Harbinger increases his. Harbringer's base attack damage will also increase by a good amount if you use Astral Imprisonment a few times, which makes last hitting in the mid lane very easy against some heroes.
- It can be used to delay enemy heroes you are laning against, preventing them from getting a last-hit or deny.
- It can also be used to buy time, be it escaping or trying to chase an enemy. While escaping, you can cast it on yourself or any dying ally to shift the enemy's focus away. While chasing, you can step ahead of the imprisoned enemy's path and make it harder for them to escape.
- Use Astral Imprisonment carefully against your enemies when your allies are present in the team fight. Using it too much in these situations can potentially block your allies' spells, especially if they are channeling disables (i.e. Pudge's Dismember). Use it when your teammates are out of disables, or when the enemies are in the process of escaping. As well, try to target other units that are currently not disabled or crippled by your teammates.
- Because of its utility, versatility, and intelligence steal, Astral Imprisonment is usually taken first before most other abilities.
- When Harbinger's Essence Aura is high enough (at least Level 3), you can keep casting Arcane Orb against enemy targets to restore his mana right away if depleted.
- Casting Sanity's Eclipse can prove important when a team fight starts, since it can shut down spell-reliant casters by burning 75% of their mana, as well as soften strength and agility heroes. Keep in mind that your intelligence must be at least marginally higher than theirs so that the effects can work.
- Outworld Devourer has no reliable escape until he gets a Force Staff. Frequent early ganks can put him at a severe disadvantage. Proper warding (by team mates) and map awareness are key.
- In team fights, Astral Imprisonment can be used to shut down a key enemy character, such as a durable carry like Wraith King, so your team can focus on squishier supports. As Sanity's Eclipse can be used on imprisoned enemies, it may be preferable to initiate by imprisoning and immediately ulting the same target.
- Other intelligence heroes, most notably Silencer and Pugna, can render Sanity's Eclipse useless because of their rapid intelligence growth. Instead, focus on using your ultimate against other heroes whose main attribute is not intelligence.
- Use Astral Imprisonment to block yourself (or an ally) from spells; slow-moving projectile spells like Gyrocopter's Homing Missile or Sven's Storm Hammer give you plenty of time to block them. Lethal spells like Sand King's Epicenter or even Lion's Finger of Death can be rendered useless with good timing. Spells that cripple your movement and make you vulnerable for attack, like Disruptor's Kinetic Field, Naga Siren's Ensnare, or Chen's Penitence, can be decreased in time thanks to Astral Imprisonment's 1/2/3/4-second invulnerability period.
- Pugna's Nether Ward will count Arcane Orb as a spell cast, so make sure to destroy it before liberally using Arcane Orb against other enemy heroes.
- Arcane Orb deals bonus damage against illusions, making it harder for illusion-reliant heroes like Phantom Lancer or Chaos Knight to fight you. Summoned units also take additional damage, turning units like Enigma's eidolons and Nature's Prophet's treants into easy gold.
- Outworld Devourer counters Anti-Mage, since he can regain mana instantly from Essence Aura just by auto-casting with Arcane Orb. As well, the pure damage goes through his Spell Shield.
- However, in certain situations when Outworld Devourer is silenced or stunned for an extended period of time, Anti-Mage's Mana Break and Mana Void, especially in combination with Manta Style and other heroes with mana drain like Nyx Assassin, can still use Outworld Devourer's massive mana pool against him.
- Outworld Devourer was originally called Obsidian Destroyer in DotA. Obsidian Destroyer was based off of two units in Warcraft III: Frozen Throne; the Obsidian Statue, and its alternate form, the Destroyer.
- Outworld Devourer's original Dota 2 name was "Outworld Destroyer". This was changed to "Outworld Demolisher" on the Test Client, but due to community outcry, it was changed again when it arrived on the main client to his current name, "Outworld Devourer". Due to such name changes, there are many community humour names in circulation, such as "Outworld Developer".
- Outworld Devourer has lines for carrying two even three Aghanim's Scepter. The reason for this is because in Dota 1 early development Aghanim's Scepter was made using Mystic Staff and a Soul Booster giving 500 mana and 30 int, which helped Outworld Devourer tremendously.
October 29, 2015 Patch
March 07, 2013 Patch
January 17, 2013 Patch
- [Undocumented] Renamed Outworld Destroyer to Outworld Devourer.
January 04, 2013 Patch
- Fixed Ring of Basilius, Ring of Aquila and Radiance proccing Essence Aura.
August 15, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Essence Aura not proccing on items.
July 12, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Pulse Nova procing Essence Aura.
- Fixed Phase Shift proccing Essence Aura.
July 05, 2012 Patch
- Fixed astral indicator to only show for hero and allied team.
June 20, 2012 Patch
- Added visual indicator for Astral Imprisonment Length.
- Fixed Batrider and Outworld Destroyer having 1 too little armor.
June 11, 2012 Patch
- Fixed the following spells being castable on magic immune allies: Nightmare, Frost Armor, Nature's Guise, Holy Persuasion, Decrepify, Astral Imprisonment, Shadow Word and X Marks The Spot.
May 31, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Arcane Orb not working on Illusions recently.
May 17, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Arcane Orb against wards.
May 10, 2012 Patch
- Fixed arcane orb doing bonus damage to Warlock illusions.
April 12, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Sanity's Eclipse mana drain logic.
March 22, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Astral Imprisonment stealing Intelligence from illusions.
- Fixed Astral Imprisonment being castable on Warlock Golem.
March 08, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Astral Imprisonment being able to cause you to lose mana regeneration.
March 01, 2012 Patch
- Enabled Outworld Destroyer Outworld Destroyer in Captain's Mode.
- Fixed bug with Astral Imprisonment disappearing from invisible units.
- Fixed Essence Aura triggering on zero cooldown spells (like Ball Lightning).
- Fixed Mekansm not healing you if it activated right after you come out of Astral Imprisonment.
- Fixed being able to trigger Essence Aura with Toss when there are no valid targets to Toss.
February 17, 2012 Patch
- Fixed each Astral Imprisonment instance refreshing the duration instead of stacking independently.
- Fixed subsequent Astral Imprisonment casts on the same target not increasing your mana pool (as a result of bonus int, only your damage was increasing).
- Fixed Astral Imprisonment bonus intelligence disappearing once the target dies.
- Fixed Astral Imprisonment counter from being dispelled/forgotten.
- Fixed Voodoo Restoration toggle proccing Essense Aura (could exploit to go to full mana).
- Fixed Mekansm not healing you if it activated right after you come out of Astral Imprisonment.
- Fixed Sanity's eclipse not hitting a unit that is affected by Astral Imprisonment.
February 16, 2012 Patch
- Added Outworld Destroyer!
- Essence Aura is now disabled by Break.
- Increased strength gain from 1.85 to 2.3.
- Sanity's Eclipse
- Now always removes 40% of affected heroes' max mana, instead of 75% of current mana only if the intelligence difference was less than 10/30/50 or not at all when having less intelligence than the enemies.
- No longer pierces spell immunity (this applies to the mana burn and the Astral Imprisonment from the Aghanim's Scepter upgrade).
- Rescaled cast range from 600/650/700 ( 700/750/800) to 700 on each level.
- Aghanim's Scepter upgraded Sanity's Eclipse
- No longer causes it to always trigger the mana burn.
- No longer increases the intelligence multiplier from 8/9/10 to 9/10/11.
- Now affects everyone in the targeted area with Astral Imprisonment based on its current level after it deals its damage.
- Astral Imprisonment
- Increased intelligence steal from 4/6/8/10 to 4/7/10/13.
- Reduced steal duration from 60 to 50.
- Essence Aura
- Increased proc chance from 10%/20%/30%/40% to 40% on each level.
- Increased max mana restored from 25% on each level to 10%/15%/20%/25%.
- Aghanim's Scepter upgraded Sanity's Eclipse now always triggers the mana drain.
- Reduced base attack damage from 23-38 to 20-35 (total attack damage is now 46-61).
- Essence Aura no longer triggers on active item abilities.
- The following items used to have a chance to trigger it: Abyssal Blade, Animal Courier, Black King Bar, Blink Dagger, Buckler, Force Staff, Manta Style, Necronomicon, Observer Ward, Orchid Malevolence, Rod of Atos, Scythe of Vyse, Sentry Ward, Shadow Amulet, Shadow Blade, Shiva's Guard, Tranquil Boots
- Arcane Orb no longer has a 6/4/2/0 seconds cooldown.
- Astral Imprisonment no longer causes enemy targets to lose vision.
- Added Aghanim's Scepter upgrade for Outworld Devourer: Increases Sanity's Eclipse intelligence difference damage multiplier from 8/9/10 to 9/10/11 and cast range from 600/650/700 to 700/750/800.
- Increased agility and gain from 15 + 1.4 to 24 + 2.
- Astral Imprisonment
- Is now properly blocked by Linken's Sphere.
- No longer causes allies to lose vision when targeted.
- Reduced cooldown from 20 on each level to 18/16/14/12.
- Reduced Astral Imprisonment cast time from 0.5 to 0.25.
- Sanity's Eclipse
- Reduced cast time from 0.5 to 0.25.
- Increased cast range from 600 on each level to 600/650/700.
- Reduced intelligence difference damage multiplier from 10/12/14 to 8/9/10.
- Rescaled manacost from 200/250/300 to 175/250/325.
- Sanity's Eclipse now shows how much damage it dealt as a floating number above hit enemies.
- Increased base armor from -1 to 2 (total armor is now 4.1).
- Reduced Sanity's Eclipse cooldown from 200 to 160.
- Sanity's Eclipse
- Increased intelligence difference damage multiplier from 10 on each level to 10/12/14.
- Increased intelligence difference threshold from 10/25/40 to 10/30/50.
- Changed Arcane Orb damage type from unknown to Pure.
- Astral Imprisonment.
- Fixed a bug with Repick allowing to have 2 heroes.
- Fixed not restoring intelligence when the hero is dead as its intelligence would be restored.
- Fixed Sanity's Eclipse's damage radius being 325 on each level, instead of 400/500/600 as stated.