19 + 1.85
24 + 2
26 + 3.3
Harbinger the Outworld Devourer is a ranged intelligence hero who qualifies as a carry, though unlike traditional carries, he excels against high-armor targets whilst being crippled by magic immunity. With Arcane Orb, his damage output is reliant on his intelligence attribute and the size of his mana pool, so he must focus more or less exclusively on items which augment them. Though he lacks somewhat in range and has no innate mobility skills, Arcane Orb deals Pure damage, meaning that if he gains an advantage in a match he deals constant, colossal damage which cannot be decreased or resisted except with total magic immunity. He and his allies enjoy more-or-less unlimited mana because of his Essence Aura, which gives them a chance to replenish a quarter of their mana upon casting a spell. With Astral Imprisonment, Harbinger can render himself or an ally invulnerable for a short period of time, or disable (and steal Intelligence from) the target enemy. His ultimate, Sanity's Eclipse, can instantly deal colossal area-of-effect damage against his enemies when his intelligence is higher than theirs.
| Harbinger, the Outworld Devourer
| Play "Their sanity I'll shatter; their dreams of conquest I'll destroy."
|| One of a lordly and magisterial race, Harbinger prowls the edge of the Void, sole surviving sentry of an outpost on the world at the rim of the abyss. From this jagged crystalline Outworld, forever on guard, he has gazed for eternities into the heavens, alert for any stirring in the bottomless night beyond the stars. Imprinted deep in the shining lattices of his intellect lies a resonant pattern akin to prophecy, a dark music implying that eventually some evil will wake out there, beyond the edges of creation, and turn its attention to our world. With his whole being focused on his vigil, Outworld Devourer paid little attention to events closer in to the sun. But at last the clamor of the Ancients, and a sense of growing threat from within as well as without, sent him winging sunward to visit the plains of war. Harbinger's place in our own prophecies is unambiguous: he must be considered an omen of worse things to come. But his arrival in itself is bad enough.
|| Tom Chantler (Responses)
- Deals its damage in a seperate instance, so it is unaffected by any attack modifying effect.
- Deals its damage before the attack damage is applied, but still depends on the attack hitting the target.
- Checks Outworld Devourer's mana pool upon projectile hit, so increasing or decreasing his mana pool while the projectile flies does affect its damage.
- Can be cast on self or allied heroes, without stealing their intelligence.
- When cast on an enemy, it steals their intelligence directly upon cast.
- Effectively reduces the enemy's max mana pool by 52/91/130/169, mana regeneration by 0.16/0.28/0.4/0.52 and if it's an intelligence hero, attack damage by 4/7/10/13.
- On the other side, Outworld Devourer's max mana pool is increased by 52/91/130/169, mana regeneration by 0.16/0.28/0.4/0.52 and attack damage by 4/7/10/13.
- Ontop of that, it also reduces the enemy's current mana pool by 52/91/130/169 right before reducing their intelligence, while increasing Outworld Devourer's by the same amount.
- When the target gets its stolen intelligence back, it also gets its current mana increased and Outworld Devourer reduced by the same amount.
- Upon death, the dying hero's intelligence restores to back to its normal values, while the other partie keeps the changed intelligence values for the remaining duration.
- The red ring expanding at the center of the visual effects indicates the duration of the imprisonment. The red ring is visible to allies only.
- However, it is only adapted to level 4, means at level 1 it expands for 1/4, on 2 for 1/2, on level 3 for 3/4 and only at level 4 in expands up to the edge.
- The -disablehelp command prevents an allied Outworld Devourer from casting this spell on you .
| Essence Aura
|| Allied Heroes
| Whenever nearby allied Heroes or Outworld Devourer itself casts a spell, it gains a chance to restore a percentage of its mana pool. Outworld Devourer also passively gains a bonus to its base mana pool. Several skills with no cooldown and toggled spells cannot trigger Essence Aura.
| Radius: 1000|
Proc Chance: 40%
Max Mana Restored: 10%/15%/20%/25%
Base Mana Bonus: 75/150/225/300
|The crystals of the Outworld produce arcane power, and the Harbinger channels it into the world of mortals.
- The aura's buff lingers for 0.5 seconds.
- Restores the mana right after the spell is cast.
- Essence Aura generally does not trigger for spells and sub-spells with no cooldown. So it does not trigger for the following abilities:
- Activate Fire Remnant, Ball Lightning, Berserker's Rage, Break Tether, Consume, Druid Form, Ethereal Jaunt, Exort, Focused Detonate, Heal (casted by Doom), Ice Armor (casted by Doom), Launch Fire Spirit, Launch Snowball, Mana Shield, Minefield Sign, Morph (Agility Gain), Morph (StrengthGain), Morph Replicate, Nightmare End, Overcharge, Phase Shift, Pulse Nova, Reality, Rearm, Release Illuminate, Return Astral Spirit, Return Chakram,
Return Chakram, Rot, Spirits In, Spirits Out, Split Shot, Stop Icarus Dive, Stop Sun Ray, Telekinesis Land, Throw Unstable Concoction, Toggle Movement, Trap, True Form, Quas, Voodoo Restoration, Wex.
- Does not trigger on any active attack modifier, except for Arcane Orb.
- Every other spell (including every not listed sub-spells) can trigger the aura.
- Due to his ultimate, Sanity's Eclipse, Outworld Devourer needs to outmatch his enemies' intelligence. Boosting intelligence also boosts his mana pool, increasing the power of Arcane Orb, the main source of his damage.
- Null Talisman gives him additional Intelligence as well as attack damage.
- Power Treads gives him additional attributes and more attack speed.
- A Force Staff provides additional health regeneration and a proper escape mechanism, which he lacks.
- A Town Portal Scroll will help him travel around the map faster, so that he could be in the action sooner.
- Rod of Atos will provide him with additional health and Intelligence, as well as a slowing ability against a single target.
- Orchid Malevolence gives him even more Intelligence and attack speed, and also gives him a Silence ability that also amplifies his damage for the time period.
- Shiva's Guard will give him more armor for survivability, as well as more intelligence. The slow also helps him either chase, or escape.
- Scythe of Vyse provides him with both additional Intelligence and a silencing disable, giving him more time to deal damage with his Arcane Orb.
- Refresher Orb gives him bonus health and regeneration, as well as allowing him to cast Astral Imprisonment and Sanity's Eclipse twice.
- Black King Bar will help Harbinger protect against lethal disables, as well as most damage-heavy abilities.
- Aghanim's Scepter gives him even more attributes, as well as improve his ultimate. The additional attribute bonus can also aid his tankiness.
- One of Harbinger's significant weaknesses is his fragility. Avoid taking in too much damage; if so, you will miss out on potential gold and experience, as well as put your team in danger by not dealing the needed extra damage against your enemies. Try to fight in the sidelines, or when your enemies are too busy to attack you. His defense can be boosted through items, but make sure not to deprive him of too much intelligence.
- Try to level up as much as possible in the early stages of the game, be it from farming or killing other heroes. The more you advance in level, the more Intelligence and gold you will receive. The more Intelligence and gold you receive, the better you will dominate in the mid and later game. OD is extremely powerful in the later game, provided he farms well in the laning phase.
- Level up Harbinger's Essence Aura fairly quickly so that he can solve his mana problems. Essence Aura can also make a good support ability for your allies, especially if they rely heavily on casting spells.
- Astral Imprisonment is Harbinger's disabling ability, and can be used in numerous ways:
- Early in the game, it can be used to harass against heroes you are laning against. It is easiest to land against melee heroes, but effective against most heroes (though sometimes for differing reasons.)
- Strength and Agility heroes are good targets, since Astral Imprisonment steals intelligence from their already low supply. They can repeatedly be disabled to the point that they are unable to cast spells (the steal stacks three to five times depending on its level, stealing a total of 12/18/32/50 intelligence).
- Intelligence heroes, on the other hand, lose damage as well as have their mana pool lowered, while Harbinger increases his. Harbringer's base attack damage will also increase by a good amount if you use Astral Imprisonment a few times, which makes last hitting in the mid lane very easy against some heroes.
- It can be used to delay enemy heroes you are laning against, preventing them from getting a last-hit or deny.
- It can also be used to buy time, be it escaping or trying to chase an enemy. While escaping, you can cast it on yourself or any dying ally to shift the enemy's focus away. While chasing, you can step ahead of the imprisoned enemy's path and make it harder for them to escape.
- Use Astral Imprisonment carefully against your enemies when your allies are present in the team fight. Using it too much in these situations can potentially block your allies' spells, especially if they are channeling disables (i.e. Pudge's Dismember). Use it when your teammates are out of disables, or when the enemies are in the process of escaping. As well, try to target other units that are currently not disabled or crippled by your teammates.
- Because of its utility, versatility, and intelligence steal, Astral Imprisonment is usually taken first before most other abilities.
- When Harbinger's Essence Aura is high enough (at least Level 3), you can keep casting Arcane Orb against enemy targets to restore his mana right away if depleted.
- Casting Sanity's Eclipse can prove important when a team fight starts, since it can shut down spell-reliant casters by burning 75% of their mana, as well as soften strength and agility heroes. Keep in mind that your intelligence must be at least marginally higher than theirs so that the effects can work.
- Outworld Devourer has no reliable escape until he gets a Force Staff. Frequent early ganks can put him at a severe disadvantage. Proper warding (by team mates) and map awareness are key.
- In team fights, Astral Imprisonment can be used to shut down a key enemy character, such as a durable carry like Wraith King, so your team can focus on squishier supports. As Sanity's Eclipse can be used on imprisoned enemies, it may be preferable to initiate by imprisoning and immediately ulting the same target.
- Other intelligence heroes, most notably Silencer and Pugna, can render Sanity's Eclipse useless because of their rapid intelligence growth. Instead, focus on using your ultimate against other heroes whose main attribute isn't intelligence.
- Use Astral Imprisonment to block yourself (or an ally) from spells; slow-moving projectile spells like Gyrocopter's Homing Missile or Sven's Storm Hammer give you plenty of time to block them. Lethal spells like Sand King's Epicenter or even Lion's Finger of Death can be rendered useless with good timing. Spells that cripple your movement and make you vulnerable for attack, like Disruptor's Kinetic Field, Naga Siren's Ensnare, or Chen's Penitence, can be decreased in time thanks to Astral Imprisonment's 1/2/3/4-second invulnerability period.
- Pugna's Nether Ward will count Arcane Orb as a spell cast, so make sure to destroy it before liberally using Arcane Orb against other enemy heroes.
- Arcane Orb deals bonus damage against illusions, making it harder for illusion-reliant heroes like Phantom Lancer or Chaos Knight to fight you. Summoned units also take additional damage, turning units like Enigma's eidolons and Nature's Prophet's treants into easy gold.
- Outworld Devourer counters Anti-Mage, since he can regain mana instantly from Essence Aura just by auto-casting with Arcane Orb. As well, the pure damage goes through his Spell Shield.
- However, in certain situations when Outworld Devourer is silenced or stunned for an extended period of time, Anti-Mage's Mana Break and Mana Void, especially in combination with Manta Style and other heroes with mana drain like Nyx Assassin, can still use Outworld Devourer's massive mana pool against him.
- Outworld Devourer was originally called Obsidian Destroyer in DotA. Obsidian Destroyer was based off of two units in Warcraft III: Frozen Throne; the Obsidian Statue, and its alternate form, the Destroyer.
- Outworld Devourer's original Dota 2 name was "Outworld Destroyer". This was changed to "Outworld Demolisher" on the Test Client, but due to community outcry, it was changed again when it arrived on the main client to his current name, "Outworld Devourer". Due to such name changes, there are many community humour names in circulation, such as "Outworld Developer".
- Outworld Devourer has lines for carrying two even three Aghanim's Scepter. The reason for this is because in Dota 1 early development Aghanim's Scepter was made using Mystic Staff and a Soul Booster giving 500 mana and 30 int, which helped Outworld Devourer tremendously.
March 07, 2013 Patch
January 17, 2013 Patch
- [Undocumented] Renamed Outworld Destroyer to Outworld Devourer.
January 04, 2013 Patch
- Fixed Ring of Basilius, Ring of Aquila and Radiance proccing Essence Aura.
August 15, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Essence Aura not proccing on items.
July 12, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Pulse Nova procing Essence Aura.
- Fixed Phase Shift proccing Essence Aura.
July 05, 2012 Patch
- Fixed astral indicator to only show for hero and allied team.
June 20, 2012 Patch
- Added visual indicator for Astral Imprisonment Length.
- Fixed Batrider and Outworld Devourer having 1 too little armor.
June 11, 2012 Patch
- Fixed the following spells being castable on magic immune allies: Nightmare, Frost Armor, Nature's Guise, Holy Persuasion, Decrepify, Astral Imprisonment, Shadow Word and X Marks The Spot.
May 31, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Arcane Orb not working on Illusions recently.
May 17, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Arcane Orb against wards.
May 10, 2012 Patch
- Fixed arcane orb doing bonus damage to Warlock illusions.
April 12, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Sanity's Eclipse mana drain logic.
March 22, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Astral Imprisonment stealing Intelligence from illusions.
- Fixed Astral Imprisonment being castable on Warlock Golem.
March 08, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Astral Imprisonment being able to cause you to lose mana regeneration.
March 01, 2012 Patch
- Enabled Outworld Destroyer in Captain's Mode.
- Fixed bug with Astral Imprisonment disappearing from invisible units.
- Fixed Essence Aura triggering on zero cooldown spells (like Ball Lightning).
- Fixed Mekansm not healing you if it activated right after you come out of Astral Imprisonment.
- Fixed being able to trigger Essence Aura with Toss when there are no valid targets to Toss.
February 17, 2012 Patch
- Fixed each Astral Imprisonment instance refreshing the duration instead of stacking independently.
- Fixed subsequent Astral Imprisonment casts on the same target not increasing your mana pool (as a result of bonus int, only your damage was increasing).
- Fixed Astral Imprisonment bonus intelligence disappearing once the target dies.
- Fixed Astral Imprisonment counter from being dispelled/forgotten.
- Fixed Voodoo Restoration toggle proccing Essense Aura (could exploit to go to full mana).
- Fixed Mekansm not healing you if it activated right after you come out of Astral Imprisonment.
- Fixed Sanity's eclipse not hitting a unit that is affected by Astral Imprisonment.
February 16, 2012 Patch
- Added Outworld Devourer!
- Astral Imprisonment
- intelligence steal increased from 4/6/8/10 to 4/7/10/13
- intelligence steal duration reduced from 60 to 50
- Base damage reduced by 3.
- Items no longer trigger Essence Aura.
- Movement speed increased from 310 to 315.
- Movement speed increased from 300 to 310.
- Intelligence growth increased from 2.8 to 3.3.
- Astral Imprisonment no longer causes the target to lose vision over that area.
- Added Aghanim's Scepter to Outworld Devourer. Damage Multiplier from 8/9/10 to 9/10/11 and cast range from 600/650/700 to 700/750/800.
- Agility increased from 15 + 1.4 -> 24 + 2.0.
- Rebalanced Sanity's Eclipse (Less damage, better leveling).
- Improved Harbinger's casting animation time.
- Improved cast animation a little
- Increased base armor on Harbinger
- Reduced Sanity's Eclipse cooldown from 200 to 160
- Slightly buffed higher levels of Sanity's Eclipse
- Sanity's Eclipse mana cost reduced from 300/500/700 to 200/250/300.
- Arcane Orb's damage type is now magical (a nerf).