|Hero||Strategy||Counters||Equipment||Gear||Responses||Sounds||Lore||Old Abilities||Changelogs||Known Bugs|
Purist Thunderwrath, the Omniknight, is a melee strength hero who is renowned for his ability to protect his allies, preventing the enemy from easily killing them. A holy and courageous hero, Purist Thunderwrath is an adept support whose powerful spells give his team strong survivability. He possesses a potent healing ability in Purification, which can instantly heal the targeted ally and, if there are nearby enemy units, deal pure damage in the same amount, allowing it to be used as a nuke. He is also capable of providing spell immunity to allies in the form of Repel, a basic ability that prevents himself or allies from being affected by most enemy spells. His passive ability, Degen Aura, can greatly slow the movement and attack speed of enemies, preventing them from easily using their physical attacks to deal damage. And finally, his ultimate, Guardian Angel, can provide complete immunity against physical damage to all nearby allies, completely nullifying the damage output of most carries for a short time. Few can escape the mighty and heavenly power of the Omniknight and he is a powerful ally in team fights. He is a mighty tank, and a very difficult hero to kill.
|Purist Thunderwrath, the Omniknight|
|Play "I have gazed into the Omniscience, and it has gazed into me."|
|Role:||Support / Durable / Nuker|
|Lore:||Purist Thunderwrath was a hard-fighting, road-worn, deeply committed knight, sworn to the order in which he had grown up as squire to elder knights of great reputation. He had spent his entire life in the service of the Omniscience, the All Seeing One. Theirs was a holy struggle, and so embedded was he in his duty that he never questioned it so long as he had the strength to fight and the impetuous valor that comes with youth. But over the long years of the crusade, as his elders passed away and were buried in sorry graves at the side of muddy tracks, as his bond-brothers fell in battle to uncouth creatures that refused to bow to the Omniscience, as his own squires were chewed away by ambush and plague and bad water, he began to question the meaning of his vows--the meaning of the whole crusade. After deep meditation, he parted ways with his army and commenced a long trek back to the cave-riddled cliffs of Emauracus, and there he set a challenge to the priests of the Omniscience. No knight had ever questioned them before, and they tried to throw him into the pit of sacrifice, but Purist would not be moved. For as he faced them down, he began to glow with a holy light, and they saw that the Omniscience had chosen to reveal Itself to him. The Elder Hierophant led him on a journey of weeks down into the deepest chamber, the holy of holies, where waited not some abstract concept of wisdom and insight, not some carved relic requiring an injection of imagination to believe in, but the old one itself. It had not merely dwelt in those rocks for billions of aeons; no, It had created them. The Omniscience had formed the immense mineral shell of the planet around itself, as a defense against the numerous terrors of space. Thus the All Seeing One claimed to have created the world, and given the other truths revealed to Purist on that day, the knight had no reason to refute the story. Perhaps the Omniscience is a liar, deep in its prison of stone, and not the world's creator at all, but Omniknight never again questioned his faith. His campaign had meaning at last. And there can be no question that the glorious powers that imbue him, and give his companions such strength in battle, are real beyond any doubt.|
|Voice:||Bruce Miles (Responses)|
- The targeting reticule must be centered over an allied unit.
- Despite the visual effects, the damage is applied instantly to all enemy units within range of the target.
- Applies a basic dispel on the target upon cast, following the same rules as any other dispel.
- Repelled units cannot be affected by Ghost Scepter, by Ethereal Blade or by Ghost Shroud. The buffs get removed immediately.
- The aura's debuff lingers for 1 second.
|-16% Degen Aura||25||+200 Purification Damage/Heal|
|+6 Mana Regen||20||+100 Damage|
|+8 Strength||15||+75 Cast Range|
|+20% XP Gain||10||+60 Gold/Min|
- Gold granted from the talent is unreliable gold.
- The attack damage is added as bonus attack damage, and therefore does not benefit illusions.
- The mana regen is added as a bonus and does not benefit illusions.
- Healing Salve and Tangoes are necessary for giving yourself flexibility when healing from enemy harass. Since Purification is so inefficient at low levels, you need a way to regenerate health without sacrificing your mana pool.
- Clarity potions greatly help you to maintain lane presence due to Omniknight's small mana pool and costly, spammable spells.
- Iron Branches should be taken to fill out any remaining inventory slots. Purchasing two of them allows you to either build a Magic Wand, or complete the two Mekansm components more readily.
- Ring of Protection can be helpful in making Omniknight even more durable in-lane by giving him even more armor. It can also be used to complete a Ring of Basilius by purchasing a Sage's Mask from the side shop.
- Boots of Speed are important on Omniknight as he can use them to take advantage of Degen Aura to slow enemies down, whether while pursuing during a gank or body-blocking chasing enemies attempting to kill your carry. As all of Omniknight's spells are very position-dependent, increasing his movement speed should be a major priority.
- Magic Stick is very useful on Omniknight due to his small mana pool. Having the ability to give yourself 150 mana can easily be the difference between being able to cast your spells or not.
- Ring of Basilius provides mana regeneration and armor to the lane, making things safer for Omniknight and his carry. The mana regen is especially useful as Omniknight's mana pool is particularly small in the laning stage. It can also be disassembled later on and the Sage's Mask recycled to build a Soul Ring.
- Enchanted Mango is a situationally useful laning item to purchase on Omniknight, as his mana pool is very limited before he can purchase items to allow him to cast his spells. The passive HP regen gives him a measure of health sustain, and consuming it can give him enough mana to cast any of his spells at least one more time in a fight or gank if he runs out of mana.
- Orb of Venom is a useful early-game item to buy, as its slow stacks with that of Degen Aura, slowing a single target's movement speed by up to 46%.
- Urn of Shadows is a powerful support item that enhances Omniknight's ability to heal teammates and inflict pure damage. The item grants more strength, increasing Omniknight's HP and base damage, and some mana regen to help him manage his mana pool more efficiently. The active allows Omniknight to utilize yet another heal, or deal more pure damage in fights on top of Purification.
- Soul Ring should be the first major item that Omniknight purchases, as its active ability is what allows him to cast Purification more than once every few minutes. By alleviating his mana dependencies, Omniknight can become much more active in teamfights and ganks.
- Arcane Boots is necessary to increase size of Omniknight's small mana pool, allowing him more frequent use of his mana-costly abilities. As well, the active ability allows him to replenish his and his team's mana pools, an essential duty for a support hero.
- Magic Wand gives Omniknight more stats for little gold, and allows him to replenish 255 health and mana instantly, enough to cast any his spells.
- Observer Wards are a general requirement on support heroes, as map vision is a basic key to victory.
- Town Portal Scrolls are necessary on Omniknight, as being able to teleport in to save a teammate from a gank with your spells is a major advantage that Omniknight can capitalize on greatly.
- Mekansm provides Omniknight with a second source of healing, one that affects allies around him, and through spell immunity as well. Its all-around stats and bonus armor also help to increase Omniknight's tankiness, but make sure that your mana pool is large enough to support the use of Mekansm, as it is extremely costly in mana to use.
- Scythe of Vyse gives Omniknight nearly infinite mana regeneration and a hard disable, greatly increasing his teamfight contribution and his ability to gank targets.
- Shiva's Guard provides Omniknight with a great amount of armor for durability, and intelligence for increasing the size of his mana pool. Both the active and passive abilities stack with Degen Aura, allowing him to drastically impede enemies' attempts to attack and move around in teamfights.
- Aghanim's Scepter upgrades Guardian Angel into a global ability, giving it much greater utility as Omniknight doesn't need to be with his teammates for them to benefit from it, as well as bestowing physical immunity to all allied buildings. It also grants him additional stats, health and mana.
- Vladmir's Offering is a useful all-around utility aura item to purchase. The armor, HP regen and mana regen aura benefit your team, and the lifesteal and attack damage bonus give them an extra edge.
- Drum of Endurance, besides giving all-around stats, further speeds Omniknight and his allies' movement and attack speed. The active charges can be used in conjunction with Degen Aura to further create a disparity in movement and attack speed between the respective teams.
- Sange and Yasha is not a typical item to pick up on Omniknight, however, it does provide some strong benefits. The bonus strength and agility give Omniknight more HP and armor, and the bonus movement speed gives him more mobility, which can allow him to get in position to cast spells or apply Degen Aura to enemies. As well, the Greater Maim, which has a greater proc chance due to the extra attack speed that the item gives to Omniknight, allows him to slow enemies down even further with his attacks.
- Heart of Tarrasque is an expensive luxury item, but can allow Omniknight to wade into the center of battles and cast spells to great effect. As Omniknight is already one of the most durable heroes in the game, increasing the size of his HP pool can make killing him a tremendous chore by the enemy team.
- Refresher Orb is a strong pickup as it can allow Omniknight to cast Guardian Angel twice, as well as use Purification and Repel in quick succession. However, refreshing your cooldowns is very costly in mana, so it is highly recommended to increase the size of your mana pool first if you intend on building this.
- Radiance is very hard to build, but can allow Omniknight to greatly hinder the enemy for as long as he remains alive in teamfights. As he can slow enemies down greatly with Degen Aura and is already quite hard to kill in fights, adding burn damage and more damaging right-clicks can turn him into a damage threat and not simply an inconvenience that prevents his teammates from falling in battle. As well, the Burn aura induces a miss chance on all nearby enemies, reducing their ability to inflict physical damage even more.
- Guardian Greaves are a very strong item to purchase on Omniknight in the late game, as he often builds a Mekansm and Arcane Boots already. Combining the two items into one inventory slot frees up space for more items in the late game, eliminates Mekansm's mana cost and strengthens its aura even further. As well, the self-dispel can allow Omniknight to instantly remove debuffs from himself that may be preventing him from contributing effectively in teamfights.
- Force Staff is a useful item on any support hero, and is no exception on Omniknight. Being able to re-position quickly can allow you to use your spells to greater effect, as you can get within range for casting Purification to deal 360 pure damage to enemies, or instantly apply Degen Aura to a fleeing enemy. As well, it can be cast on fleeing allies to save them from chasing enemies, further augmenting Omniknight's ability to save teammates who are in trouble. The extra intelligence is also useful for increasing the size of your mana pool.
- Glimmer Cape is a useful mid-game utility item that can give Omniknight more initiation, utility and protection capability, once he has mitigated his mana deficiency issues. Using the active on an ally can allow them to initiate or gank an enemy, as well as letting them get right next to an enemy to hit them with Purification. If a teammate is initiated on by the enemy, using the active on them can give them extra magic resistance and give them temporary invisibility. Finally, Repel can be used as a last-ditch measure to remove debuffs from an invisible ally, such as Dust of Appearance.
- Aether Lens is a strong utility item that boosts Omniknight's casting capabilities, and can be assembled more quickly by using the Energy Booster from a disassembled Arcane Boots. It provides more Mana regen that aids in Omniknight's pitiful pool, and the increased cast range allows him to use Purification and Repel on allies from farther away, greatly increasing the survivability of his teammates.
- Eul's Scepter of Divinity is a good cheap support item that provides many uses. The extra intelligence and mana regeneration ensure that Omniknight almost always has the mana he needs to cast his spells, while the extra movement speed allows him to capitalize on Degen Aura more easily. The active ability can be used to hard-disable an enemy, something that Omniknight otherwise lacks, and then get within range to cast Purification to deal damage to them, or can be cast on yourself to dispel debuffs from yourself (such as silences which may be preventing you from casting your spells).
- Necronomicon provides Omniknight with many benefits and adds to his pushing and teamfight contribution. The bonus strength and intelligence increase his health and mana, making him more resilient and able to cast his spells, while the active ability allows him to contribute more strongly in teamfights, or provide True Sight once it is fully upgraded.
- Solar Crest is a situationally useful utility item on many support heroes, and synergizes with Omniknight's abilities as well. It gives scaling mana regen, more armor and evasion, greatly increasing Omniknight's survivability against physical damage. The active can transfer the armor and evasion bonuses to a teammate, protecting them even more on top of Purification and Repel, or used on an enemy to inflict them with reduced armor and a miss chance that stacks alongside Degen Aura to greatly reduce their ability to inflict physical damage.
- Pipe of Insight is useful for protecting Omniknight and his team against magical damage in a teamfight, thus ensuring that he can cast his spells to their utmost and apply Degen Aura to the enemy for longer. The active ability also synergizes with his ability to protect his teammates from harm.
- Lotus Orb is a strong utility item that allows Omniknight to greatly hinder enemies' attempts to focus down him or a teammate. The item's bonuses give Omniknight more armor and mana regen, increasing his durability and letting him cast his spells more frequently. Using Echo Shell on himself or a teammate in a fight allows him to use his enemies' disables and magic nukes against themselves, slowing the pace of a battle down and giving him more time to use his defensive spells.
- Crimson Guard is a good pickup for giving Omniknight more resistance against physical damage, as he is a melee hero who must get close to the enemy to apply Degen Aura's debuff to them. However, its main use is in the active, Guard, which gives damage block and armor to all nearby teammates, very useful if you need to give them survivability against physical damage while your ultimate is on cooldown or you want to save it for more important situations.
- Radiance Thanks to his spells Omniknight can have a high amount of durability and sustain, allowing him to stay in the middle of fights once they break out. Radiance can also be used alongside Degen Aura to prevent some blink initiators such as Enigma or Axe to simply exit and reengage.
- Some parts of Omniknight's bio are a reference to the bible story of Daniel in the Lion's Pit. Daniel was thrown into the lion's den for praying to God and challenging Darius' command not to do so, but God prevented the lions from harming Daniel, saving his life. Similarly, Omniknight was to be thrown to the pit of sacrifice for challenging his priests but the Omniscience revealed itself, saving Purist.
- His response "Play I have gazed into the omniscience, and it has gazed into me." is a reference to German philosopher Nietzsche's quote "If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you".
- His kill response "Play You chose poorly." and item purchase response "Play I chose wisely." are references to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
- Many of Omniknight's responses refer to the Bible or Christianity in general: Ie. confessing sins, having demons as nemeses, chastising Dazzle for using dark powers to heal, disliking Necronomicon (as its powers are demonic), using "omniscient" and "light" to describe his God, his death animation (with arms forming a cross, as a reference to the Crucifixion of Christ), etc. "Play A narrow path." refers to Matthew 7:14.
- Omniknight's nickname is "Chuck Norris", due to the similarities in appearance and the power of his abilities. As well, when he was first added to Dota 2 there was a bug that caused him to always say the voice line Play "Fear nothing!"
- Omniknight originally held and swung his hammer with one hand. This was changed after community feedback.
- Omniknight's battle begin line Play "The Omniscience may spare them, but I will not." is a reference to General Patton's quote "May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't."
Model and icons before November 21, 2013 Patch