Nyx Assassin is a melee Agility Hero who is a dedicated ganker until the end. Rather than focusing on enhancing his physical attacks like most Agility carry Heroes, Nyx Assassin specializes in killing lone and fragile victims with his high burst damage and various disables. Unfarmed carries, supports and many Intelligence spellcasting heroes with a low healthpool are easy prey for Nyx; he can open with a devastating backstab attack, followed by a painful stun and mana burn to deal even more damage and prevent retaliation. The Nyx Assassin also has a fantastic defense mechanism that not only blocks damage for a small amount of time, but reflects it back onto the enemy with a stun effect to boot. With his short cooldowns, the Nyx Assassin can continually dispatch key enemy targets, removing their ability and will to fight.
 Recommended items
- As Vendetta's invisibility dispels only when your attack connects the enemy, it is nearly always best to deal your backstab damage before your Impale and Mana Burn follow-up.
- Use Spiked Carapace only just before your Impale's stun times out, so as to reduce the enemy's chances of noticing the effect and holding back their counterattacks until the Carapace expires.
- If you know that you are targeted for a delayed or long-range nuke (such as Sniper's Assassinate or Invoker's Sun Strike), it can be a good idea to purposefully time your Spiked Carapace to reflect the incoming damage. This will aid your team by disabling or even killing the caster. Spiked Carapace makes Nyx a good counter for Keeper of the Light through the early-mid game.
- Vendetta's fade time into invisibility is instant, and can be used to dodge many spells provided the enemy does not possess True Sight.
- It can sometimes be necessary to not use Vendetta to open ganks or fights, leaving the spell to chase down a fleeing enemy with the high speed boost. Vendetta is also a great escape mechanism if need be.
- Spiked Carapace is arguably one of the best defensive skills in the game that when used properly can disrupt whole teams and save you from many deaths despite your low health pool. Sometimes it might be a good idea to max it before your Mana Burn as the increased stun duration will come in handy when combined with your Impale.
- Due to its scaling Mana Burn becomes more powerful as the game progresses as it reduces the mana and damages its target based on their intelligence. High intelligence gaining heroes with low health pools such as Pugna, Enigma, Silencer make excellent targets later in the game.
- When the ultimate is level 3, use it when the cooldown is on 49 seconds so you can attack the enemy and stun him, then fade again and attack it another time.
- Nyx Assassin's original name was Anub'arak, and he was titled "Nerubian Assassin". Both were changed in the transition to Dota 2 due to copyright reasons.
- Anub'arak is a character of Blizzard's franchise "Warcraft", who first appeared in the campaign of Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. He was the king of the Nerubians, a race of malevolent arachnids who were slain and raised as undead.
- Nyx Assassin's fun name in DotA was Anoob'arak.
- Nyx Assassin reveres Nyx as his Goddess (and has quotes such as "Nyx bestows her grace"), and Nyx is the Greek Goddess of the night (which might be explained by Nyx Assassin's invisibility).
- Nyx is the daughter of Aether, whose name translates into Sanskrit as "Akasha", Queen of Pain's name.
 Update history
- Fixed Spiked Carapace charge not getting used when hurt by an invulnerable source.
- Fixed Impale traveling too far.
- Fixed some ability Backswing timing issues ( Kunkka, Clockwerk, Timbersaw, Meepo, Pudge, Spirit Breaker, Sand King, Riki, Nyx Assassin, Lion, Pugna, Shadow Demon, Batrider).
- Fixed Spiked Carapace triggering on HP removal.
- Fixed being able to miss Vendetta.
 Balance changelog
- Impale cast range now matches the travel range.
- This has no impact on the length of the area the impale covers.
- Spiked Carapace no longer stuns your hero when your summoned units proc it (the summoned units get stunned instead).
- Impale no longer has unit targeting, it is now only a point targeted spell.
- Mana Burn drain and damage decreased from 5x Intelligence to 3.5/4/4.5/5x.
- Mana Burn mana cost rescaled from 130/120/110/100 to 100.
- Spiked Carapace
- Duration reduced from 2.75 to 2.25.
- Cooldown increased from 14 to 23/20/17/14.
- Vendetta damage increased from 225/375/525 to 250/400/550.
- Base HP regeneration increased to 2.5.
- Mana Burn
- Drain amount increased from 4*Int to 5*Int.
- Manacost rescaled from 90/110/130/150 to 130/120/110/100.
- Vendetta movement speed increased from 10/15/20% to 16/18/20%.
- Spiked Carapace reworked:
- When activated, Spiked Carapace reflects and negates damage dealt to Nerubian Assassin (max once from each source), as well as stunning the source of the damage.
- Duration: 2.75
- Damage Reflected: 100% of negated damaged
- Stun Duration: 0.6/1.2/1.8/2.4
- Manacost: 40
- Cooldown: 14
- Urna Swarm replaced with a new spell:
- Spiked Carapace:
- Temporarily enhances the Assassin's chitinous armor with organic barbs, causing him to prevent and reflect the next player based damage instance and stuns the target. Lasts 4.5 seconds.
- Duration: 4.5 seconds
- Damage return: 100% (after resistance on your hero)
- Stun: 0.6/1.2/1.8/2.4
- Cooldown: 10
- Manacost: 50
- Note: Only triggers on player based damage, both physical and magical. Does not prevent status debuffs. Spikes visually grow out of the hero when he is in this state.
- Vendetta cooldown decreased from 90/75/60 to 70/60/50.
- Mana Burn cooldown decreased from 35/25/15/5 to 28/20/12/4.
- Urna Swarm rebalanced:
- Maximum summons reduced from 2/4/6/8 to 2/3/4/5
- Infestation dps increased from 20 to 40
- Infestation aoe increased from 275 to 300
- Cooldown rescaled from 14/11/8/5 to 26/19/12/5
- Manacost rescaled from 10 to 40/30/20/10
- Spiked Carapace replaced with Urna Swarm.
- Impale damage reduced from 80/160/230/300 to 80/140/200/260.
- Mana Burn can no longer target creeps since it no longer affects them.
- Mana Burn reworked
- Old Mana Burn:
- Burns: 70/120/185/260
- Manacost: 65/85/100/115
- Cooldown: 7
- Cast Range: 500/575/650/725
- New Mana Burn:
- Burns: Mana equal to 4x Int
- Manacost: 90/110/130/150
- Cooldown: 35/25/15/5
- Cast Range: 600
 Replaced Abilities
 See also