Nyx Assassin is a melee agility hero who is feared as one of the most effective gankers and solo-killers in the game. With his powerful burst damage nukes, Nyx Assassin specializes in disabling and killing lone and fragile enemies with little to no warning. He possesses an area nuke and stun ability in Impale, allowing him to disable enemies in a straight line in front of him while dealing damage. His Mana Burn ability can destroy a significant fraction of a target hero's mana pool while dealing the same amount as damage, making him the bane of weak intelligence heroes with lots of mana but very little health. Should the enemy attempt to attack him, Nyx Assassin can dissuade them with Spiked Carapace, stunning any heroes that attack him while reflecting their damage back at them. His ultimate, Vendetta, turns Nyx invisible, allowing him to deal tremendous physical damage to the next target that he strikes out of invisibility. Stalking from the shadows, Nyx Assassin can strike without warning and lay low his foes before they realize that their death is upon them.
Bio[edit | edit source]
Abilities[edit | edit source]
- The spikes travel at a speed of 1600.
- Hit units are knocked up 350 range for the initial 0.5 seconds of the stun.
- While in the air, other units may pass below hit airborne units.
- The damage is applied upon landing, not upon getting hit.
- Impale can hit units up to 825 range away (700 travel distance + 125 width).
- While Burrowed, the cast range and travel distance increase to 1225, and the cooldown falls to 7 seconds.
- While burrowed, it can hit units up to 1350 range away (1225 travel distance + 125 width).
- When Impale hits invisible units, the visual effects below the hit unit are still visible.
- Applies the damage first, and then the mana loss.
- Effectively burns 29.2%/33.3%/37.5%/41.7% of the target's maximum mana pool, if it has no flat mana bonus.
- Despite dealing the damage first, the damage is based on how much mana the target actually lost from Mana Burn.
- This means, when cast on an enemy who has for example 5 mana left, it also deals only 5 damage (before reductions).
- Can be cast on creep-heroes, but has no effect on them, since they have no intelligence, wasting mana and cooldown.
- While Burrowed, the cast range increases to 1050.
- Spiked Carapace interrupts Nyx Assassin's channeling spells upon cast.
- Can be cast during Vendetta, without breaking the invisibility. Breaks the invisibility of other sources.
- Only reflects player based damage directly towards the damage dealer. A unit can only be affected once per cast.
- Spiked Carapace fully negates and reflects after all reductions, causing several on-damage effects to not trigger.
- Has a higher priority than Aphotic Shield and Living Armor, but lower than False Promise. However, it still reflects and stuns when combined with False Promise.
- Although the damage dealt to enemies is equal to the amount of damage blocked, the effects work independently from each other.
- This means Spiked Carapace always blocks one damage instance, even when the source is spell immune or invulnerable.
- The reflected damage has the no-reflection flag, preventing its damage from interacting with other sources of damage with that flag.
- Spiked Carapace only negates and reflects the 3 damage types. It does not react on damage flagged as HP Removal.
- Spiked Carapace has a global range and affects units through the Fog of War or invisibility.
- When cast while Burrowed, the spell immediately applies its stun to all enemies within its radius.
- Since Spiked Carapace has no base damage, hit units are not damaged upon cast.
- Nyx Assassin still receives the cast buff normally, which can still reflect damage and stun enemies.
- However, the buff does not affect enemy units which have been hit by the stun upon cast. They can normally damage Nyx.
- Vendetta does not interrupt Nyx Assassin's channeling spells upon cast.
- The attack out of Vendetta cannot miss.
- Vendetta's damage is applied in a separate damage instance, before the attack damage.
- The bonus damage is not added to Nyx' attack damage.
- The invisibility is broken upon reaching the cast point of spells or items, or upon landing an attack.
- Vendetta allows Nyx to pass through other units, including wards, but not through buildings.
- Nyx can pick up, drop or attack items and runes without breaking the invisibility.
- Once purchased, Nyx Assassin cannot drop or sell his Aghanim's Scepter.
- Requires Aghanim's Scepter to be unlocked.
- The cast of Burrow is not registered as a spell cast and thus does not proc any on-cast effects.
- Turns Nyx Assassin invisible and disarms as well as roots him, preventing him from moving, attacking and using Blink Dagger.
- Burrow lasts until unburrowing or using Vendetta.
- Nyx Assassin can still be moved by spells and can still teleport while burrowed, without getting unburrowed.
- Nyx Assassin still has to turn to cast spells and use items as usual, even if the burrowed (dirt mound) model does not visually turn.
- Replaces Burrow until used or death.
- The cast of Unburrow is not registered as a spell cast and thus does not proc any on-cast effects.
- Interrupts Nyx Assassin's channeling spells upon cast.
- Instantly reverts all bonuses provided by Burrow.
- Uses a different sound when unburrowing inside the river.
Talents[edit | edit source]
|200% Spiked Carapace Damage||25||+40 Movement Speed|
|+40 Agility||20||+120 Gold/Min|
|+50 Impale Damage||15||+12% Magic Resistance|
|+175 Health||10||+5% Spell Amplification|
- Upgrading health increases maximum health capacity and keeps the current health percentage.
- The magic resistance stacks multiplicatively with other sources of magic resistance.
- Gold granted from the talent is unreliable gold.
- The damage bonus to Spiked Carapace increases the damage to 200%, not by 200%.
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
- Circlet and Mantle of Intelligence provide Nyx Assassin with basic attributes, particularly to his intelligence to boost his mana pool so that he is able to cast his spells more easily. Both components can build directly into a Null Talisman.
- Clarity allows Nyx Assassin to replenish his mana pool in-lane, crucial since most of his spells will consume almost half his base mana pool with a single cast. Having the mana to continue casting gives Nyx Assassin more chances to use his disables to score kills.
- Tango and Healing Salve give Nyx Assassin basic health sustain, allowing him to continue laning despite enemy harass.
- Boots of Speed allows Nyx Assassin to chase or flee enemies more easily, and is important for getting within range to cast Impale on a gank target.
- Null Talisman provides a good spread of attributes, particularly boosting Nyx Assassin's intelligence to give him more mana. It can be upgraded directly into a Dagon if needed.
- Urn of Shadows is important to get early on Nyx Assassin, as he can easily get charges from successful ganks. It provides strength for more HP, as well as mana regen for sustaining his mana pool. The charges can be used to restore any HP lost during a gank, or can be used to add more damage to a future gank to increase the odds of success.
- Arcane Boots are crucial to obtain in order to allow Nyx Assassin to roam for ganks. It increases the size of Nyx Assassin's mana pool, allowing him to more easily cast his full combo of spells, and boosts his movement speed slightly to provide extra mobility. Most importantly, the active allows Nyx Assassin to replenish his own mana pool in order to ensure that he is able to continue roaming without needing to return to base as often.
- Dagon greatly boosts Nyx Assassin's burst alpha, giving him much more kill potential. The item boosts his intelligence, allowing him to more easily cast his spells, while the active can be added on top of Impale and Mana Burn to deal tremendous burst damage to a single target to secure a kill.
- Town Portal Scroll is important to have on all heroes at all times. Nyx Assassin's ability to initiate and kill using Vendetta means that global positioning is key for allowing him to capitalize on any opportunities to secure kills.
- Blink Dagger greatly increases Nyx Assassin's mobility, allowing him to jump on top of enemies and initiate without relying on Vendetta. In particular, being able to quickly re-position to cast Impale can allow Nyx Assassin to stun multiple enemy heroes at the start of a fight, and in a pinch Spiked Carapace can be used to prevent enemy initiating nukes from putting it on cooldown.
- Force Staff is a handy utility item that grants Nyx Assassin many strong bonuses. It provides more intelligence for increasing the size of his mana pool, as well as HP regen for sustaining his health pool. The active greatly improves Nyx Assassin's mobility, allowing him to re-position for casting his spells, or chasing and escaping more easily. In a pinch, it can also be used as a cheap way to break an enemy Linken's Sphere prior to landing other disables and nukes, and can even be used to re-position Nyx Assassin during Burrow.
- Scythe of Vyse gives Nyx Assassin an instant ranged hard disable, useful in many situations. As well, it gives him stats across the board, particularly improving his intelligence for more mana and providing powerful scaling mana regen to allow him to roam independently.
- Drum of Endurance is a useful stat booster that is easy to build. It gives Nyx Assassin all-around attributes, improving his HP, attack damage and mana. The aura can be very useful, as it boosts Nyx Assassin's movement speed, allowing him to chase down enemies more quickly.
- Ethereal Blade is a strong nuke booster that improves Nyx Assassin's ability to burst down enemies. As his primary attribute is agility, the bonus agility will increase the damage that Ether Blast deals, which will also greatly slow its target's movement speed while weakening their magic resistance, leaving them wide open for Impale, Mana Burn and Dagon.
- Linken's Sphere greatly improves Nyx Assassin's survivability, and allows him to engage and gank enemies through single-target disables. The Spellblock allows Nyx Assassin to ignore any targeted disables that enemies may try to hit him with, allowing him to continue pursuit and kill the enemy.
- Observer Ward can be useful to purchase on Nyx Assassin, as he is a very heavy roamer who can place wards before or after ganks to spot out enemy movement to strike again.
- Enchanted Mango is a strong laning item, as it provides a small boost to HP regeneration, augmenting his innate base HP regen to greatly increase his survivability in the off-lane. It can also be consumed for instant mana replenishment to be able to cast one more disable or nuke to secure a kill.
- Stout Shield can greatly increase Nyx Assassin's resistance against harass damage when off-laning. Along with his innate HP regen, the damage block can keep his HP full and able to continue gaining gold and experience.
- Bottle is a very strong self-sustain item that allows Nyx Assassin to replenish his HP and mana, increasing his autonomy. As he constantly roams, Nyx is able to easily pick up runes to refill his Bottle, and utilize the runes during ganks as needed.
- Ring of Aquila provides Nyx Assassin with an assortment of attributes, as well as increasing his armor and providing some mana regen. It is a good cheap stat-booster that helps to sustain his mana pool.
- Boots of Travel is an expensive investment, but greatly increases Nyx Assassin's ability to move around and secure kills for his team. The increased movement speed makes it easier to scout and roam for kills, particularly when further boosted by Vendetta, and the global teleport allows him to show up to get kills whenever opportunities present themselves. As well, it provides a way to easily return to base to retrieve items and replenish HP and mana, or quickly return to the field after respawning.
- Necronomicon is an unorthodox utility item to build on Nyx Assassin, but can be useful in certain situations. The ability to summon minions to assist him during ganks can increase the odds of getting a kill, and upgrading to level 3 Necronomicon provides True Sight that can debilitate an enemy's chances of using invisibility spells to escape. It also provides teamfight contribution, adding damage output on top of Nyx Assassin's disables and nukes.
- Eul's Scepter of Divinity is a strong casting item that boosts Nyx Assassin's ability to roam and gank. The increased intelligence and mana regen help to sustain his spell casting, ensuring that he doesn't have to return to base to replenish mana, and the increased movement speed gives him more mobility for hunting down enemies. The cyclone can be used to dispel debuffs from Nyx Assassin while providing temporary invulnerability, or can be cast on an enemy as a further disable.
- Diffusal Blade does not give Nyx Assassin many strong attribute benefits, but can be a strong utility item nonetheless. While Nyx Assassin does not rely on his physical attacks to deal damage outside of Vendetta, he can use Diffusal Blade's purge to pin down enemies and remove their buffs during ganks.
- Lotus Orb allows Nyx Assassin to further use the enemy's spells against them on top of Spiked Carapace. Echo Shell can give Nyx Assassin a 5 second window with which to reflect enemy spells rather than 2.25, and even though it doesn't block the damage done by these spells it can reflect debuffs and stuns rather than just the damage. It also provides armor, increasing Nyx Assassin's survivability, and HP and mana regen for self-sustain.
- Orchid Malevolence provides Nyx Assassin with a soft disable that can greatly improve his ability to gank and kill enemies. By silencing an enemy during a gank, Nyx Assassin can prevent them from casting retaliatory disables to get away; as well, his high burst damage can take advantage of the burn damage at the end of the silence to increase the odds of getting a kill during a gank. The item also provides increased intelligence and mana regen, further improving Nyx Assassin's ability to roam independently.
- Aghanim's Scepter unlocks Burrow, which can give Nyx Assassin a strong tactical advantage against certain enemies. It also improves his overall attributes, aiding in his survivability and buffing up his mana pool.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Audio[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Nyx Assassin's original name was Anub'arak, and he was titled "Nerubian Assassin". Both were changed in the transition to Dota 2 due to copyright reasons.
- Anub'arak is a character of Blizzard's franchise "Warcraft", who first appeared in the campaign of Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. He was the king of the Nerubians, a race of malevolent arachnids who were slain and raised as undead.
- Nyx Assassin's fun name in DotA was Anoob'arak.