He is unique in that among all the heroes in the game ONLY his skills are affected by the time of day during the game. During daytime, he is slower than a hero of an equal level which is made up for by the fact that he is quite durable which is carried into his night-time transformation. Once the sun goes down, Balanar's real power is unleashed, becoming the beast of bed time tales known famously as the Boogeyman or infamously as the Night Stalker.
His Void mini-stuns while damaging and slows his target to a crawl as he pursues them.
Crippling Fear deserves a special mention because it is an unconditional silence with a relatively low cooldown (Something unheard of on a strength hero) that gains even additional potency at night, Later in the game it can go on to become the second longest silence in the whole game at 8 whole seconds, The 10%(Day) and 50%(Night) miss chance is an added icing on the cake bonus which makes his opponents helpless against him regardless of who they are.
Hunter in the Night is what defines the Night Stalker. He becomes a brutal and merciless hunter during the night, with supernatural attack speed and movement speed, which allows Balanar to chase and savagely attack his victim while also becoming one of the fastest heroes in the whole game capable of running away to survive if anything goes wrong at night.
Darkness literally takes back the night from the day and allows him to achieve his full potential regardless of which time of day it actually is while crippling the enemies field of vision and increasing the duration of night-time if used during the night.
 Recommended items
|This article or section may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Dota 2 Wiki's quality standards.
You can help. The discussion page may contain suggestions.
Reason given: Please refer to the style guide.
- Void is the best skill to max early, as the damage increase and slow allow you to use it to kill your desired target.
- Balanar has one of the highest overall defense in the game with a starting armor of 6, one of the highest Strength in the game, and the third highest Agility among Strength heroes. Balanar is a powerful and durable Carry with an amazing skillset.
- Hunter in the Night empowers his attack speed and movement speed superbly during the night, making him the best ganker during the earliest parts of the game.
- Night Stalker will greatly benefit from being on the same team as a Luna. Her Lunar Blessing will give him bonus damage and her Eclipse will turn the time of the day to night for 10 seconds. This 10 seconds is often significant enough for the Night Stalker to set in and go for the kill.
- Using Darkness during night time will prolong the duration of the night, allowing Night Stalker to ultimately change the time to his favor.
- During the night, most heroes have below average vision, rendering them to be ineffective on chases and gives enemies a chance to hide the blind spot. Night Stalker, however, is at home in this time and has full vision, allowing him to effectively chase without getting obscured on his sight. With Aghanim's Scepter, he gains full unobstructed vision, allowing to see through trees, higher terrains, and even spy at Roshan in his base.
- Satanic and Helm of the Dominator can be used to help Night Stalker jungle in the mid game stage and the active of Satanic will aid him in healing a lot of damage if he has to face the enemy carry during a manfight.
- Vladmir's Offering helps greatly with pushing towers after a successful gank and provides a vampiric aura to your allies.
- Many of Night Stalker's responses that refer to his vampiric qualities make reference to Bram Stoker's Dracula, a film adaptation of the classic novel starring Gary Oldman.
 Update history
- Updated Night Stalker Darkness sound and made it global for teammates.
- Added Night Stalker Darkness graphic to day/night clock.
- [Undocumented] Added new attack sounds for Night Stalker.
- [Undocumented] Added spawn animations for Earthshaker, Night Stalker, Shadow Demon, Tidehunter, Tinker.
- [Undocumented] Added teleport start and end animations for Earthshaker, Pudge, Night Stalker, Shadow Demon, Tidehunter, Tinker.
- [Undocumented] Added Haste Rune Run animations for Night Stalker and Pudge.
- [Undocumented] Added the following animations to Night Stalker: Injured Run, Injured Idle, Victory and Defeat.
- Added duration buff for Darkness.
- Fixed Hunter in the Night working on Illusions.
- Updated suggested item build.
- Hooked up Nightstalker's day->night->day transition animations.
- Fixed his model going into reference pose if the time of day transitioned while he was dead.
- Added Night Stalker VO.
- Fixed Night Stalker's Void not mini-stunning on apply.
- Fixed Night Stalker's Crippling Fear doing 0 damage on apply and thus disabling blink dagger.
- Enabled Night Stalker (model and effects work-in-progress).
 Balance changelog
- Crippling Fear's miss chance increased from 40% to 50%.
- Hunter in the Night attack speed rescaled from 30/45/60/75 to 45/55/65/75.
- Hunter in the Night
- Movement bonus rescaled from 15/20/30/35 to 20/25/30/35%.
- Attack speed bonus rescaled from 20/35/55/75 to 30/45/60/75.
- Base damage increased by 10.
- Crippling Fear's miss chance from 10/20/30/40% to 40%.
- Void now slows for 2 seconds during daytime.
- Added Nightstalker to Aghanim's Scepter. Gives unobstructed vision at night.
- Improved how the manacost scales on Crippling Fear.
Low Violence model
 See also