|Necrophos is a strong nuker and tanky hero who is capable of surviving long teamfights and picking off key enemy heroes with Reaper's Scythe. His Death Pulse is able to heal/damage allies/enemies, Ghost Shroud is able to chase fleeing heroes, and Heartstopper Aura helps harrass enemies in early game. Depending on the build, Necrophos can be either heavy nuker, or durable caster.|
Necrophos is effective when he stands in the middle of a fight. The focus of the build is to spam Death Pulse and help teammates to stay alive. Mekansm and Arcane Boots are common items for Offlane Necrophos. Necrophos should never be the center of attention as he is naturally squishy and can only out survived his opponents when a fight is dragged long enough. The bulid is effective for early 4-5 man pushing. Durable Caster is standard bulid for Necrophos and should be used as the first step of playing Necrophos before considering other styles.
Necrophos can sometimes be played as Heavy Nuker, starting in midlane and building item like Dagon and Ethereal Blade. Necrophos can nuke an important target with Reaper's Scythe > Ethereal Blade > Dagon > Death Pulse combo (Note: Reaper's Scythe has 1.5 second delay before damaging the target. Thus, all abilities cast after Reaper's Scythe must be fit within this time window). Heavy Nuker Necrophos can be very aggressive but also extremely squishy as his only way to survive is to make use of Death Pulse by killing his opponents as fast as he can.
|-1s Death Pulse Cooldown||25||+400 Health|
|+10% Magic Resistance||20||+5% Spell Amplification|
|+20 Movement Speed||15||+6 All Stats|
|+8 Strength||10||+40 Damage|
- The attack damage is added as bonus attack damage, and therefore does not benefit illusions.
- The magic resistance stacks multiplicatively with other sources of magic resistance.
- Upgrading health increases maximum health capacity and keeps the current health percentage.
Tips & Tactics
- Necrophos usually plays as off-lane durable hero.
- Mid Necrophos will turn him into nuker.
- Necrophos is strong in laning stage because of Death Pulse and Heartstopper Aura passives.
- Necrophos is prone to ganks. Make sure not to overextend.
- Prioritize enemy carry or mid when using Reaper's Scythe.
- In laning stage, Death Pulse is good for both harrassing enemy hero and getting last hits.
- Try to get close to enemy hero when using the ability when lasthitting.
- Make sure to take both last hits and denies, as Necrophos will benefit from Death Pulse's passive.
- Death Pulse have a very short casting animation, ideal for lasthitting.
- consider the Death Pulse 400 projectile speed. Sometimes, Necrophos may miss getting the last hit.
- In early to mid game, try to conserve using this ability as it will deplete Necrophos' mana very quickly
- Do not use Death Pulse while using Town Portal Scroll.
- Be sure to heal your allies too using the ability.
- After getting regeneration item, try spamming Death Pulse for its heal to help allies stay alive in teamfight
- More Tips needed
- Use Ghost Shroud when near death to amplify any healing, such as Death Pulse and Mekansm.
- Ghost Shroud also amplifies any mana recieved. Use it when Arcane Boots is about to be used.
- Use Ghost Shroud to chase down enemy heroes.
- Use Ghost Shroud to dive tower, as it negates physical damages.
- Use Ghost Shroud when expecting physical burst damages, such as Monkey King's Boundless Strike
- Be mindful of Ghost Shroud's long cooldown.
- Be sensible when using Ghost Shroud.
- Be sure not to get nuked as Ghost Shroud also amplify any magic damages recieved.
- Ghost Shroud does not purge any effect Necrophos has.
- Do not to stack Ghost Shroud with Black King Bar. Time it properly.
- Do not use Ghost Shroud while using Town Portal Scroll as it will get canceled. Cast it before using TP.
- More tips needed
- Early point in Heartstopper Aura will help the laning stage.
- Investing another point on it may not be worth it as it deals damage based on health Percentage.
- Take Heartstopper Aura after Death Pulse because Necrophos will be benefitted by Death Pulse more than Heartstopper Aura.
- Make sure enemy heroes are within the Heartstopper Aura 900 radius.
- Low HP creep will likely die to Heartstopper Aura if Necrophos miss the last hit.
- Level up Heartstopper Aura after both Death Pulse and Ghost Shroud are maxed. At that stage of the game, the enemy will likely have larger health pool, making another point in it more effective.
- More tips needed
- At level 3, Reaper's Scythe will kill targets at 40% or less health. Remember to factor in magic resistance from items and abilities before you attempt to execute an enemy Hero with it.
- The Reaper's Scythe's instant-kill health threshold, with the base 25% magic resist factored in, can be calculated by multiplying the enemy max health with the constants: 3/13, 9/29, or 27/67 for each respective level of the ultimate.
- Any kill under Reaper's Scythe will be credited to Necrophos. Thus, replenishing his mana.
- Reaper's Scythe's stun goes through magic immunity, whereas the damage will not.
- Reaper's Scythe is not a channeling ability, meaning you can move the moment you have cast it.
- Cast Reaper's Scythe on enemy key heroes.
- Reaper's Scythe adds additional time to its victim's respawn timer. In later stages of the game this can prove very important in removing key enemy heroes from the fight for a very long time.
- The extension of the respawn time will add up and will cause a significant reduction to the enemy's farm. This will cause heroes who depend on snowballing early like Pudge or Spectre to become almost useless in mid to late game as their chance to snowball will be greatly reduced.
- More tips needed
- Iron Branch Improves Necrophos's early stats as well as damage and can be built into Magic Wand or a Mekansm later on.
- Clarity to keep being able to cast Death Pulse when needed.
- Mantle of Intelligence gives a little boost to Necrophos' mana pool and damage.
- Tango helps Necrophos stay in the lane.
- Healing Salve for quick regeneration.
- Faerie Fire helps Necrophos' somewhat low base damage and clutch heal if running mid.
- Magic Wand is needed in emergencies or for a clutch Death Pulse or Reaper's Scythe.
- Power Treads for more damage output and faster attack speed.
- Arcane Boots for extra mana pool.
- Buckler for extra armor.
- Infused Raindrop for extra magic resistance and mana regeneration.
- Wind Lace if extra mobility is needed.
- Bottle if running Mid Necrophos.
- Aghanim's Scepter reduces the cooldown of Reaper's Scythe dramatically, while giving nice attributes, health, and mana.
- Blink Dagger will solve his mobility problem and great chasing/initiating item.
- Mekansm for extra heal and an upgrade from Buckler.
- Force Staff is an alternative for Blink Dagger, as it gives Intelligence, health regeneration, and gives a quick method of movement while under attack. Use it to save allies or push enemy heroes.
- Rod of Atos is also highly viable for Necrophos. It gives Health, Intelligence, and a long range slow with a short cooldown, Use it to chase hero or escape from ganks.
- Blade Mail If you get focused on very often.
- Guardian Greaves would be the better choice for supporting your team since you would have already built a Mekansm. Consider building Arcane Boots instead of Power Treads if you are planning to build this.
- Bloodstone makes you tankier and gives much more mana, making you almost unkillable and able to spam your Death Pulse if you stay behind your allies, thanks to the regeneration it provides.
- Scythe of Vyse gives good attributes and mana regeneration. Its disable makes it easier to kill a powerful carry or an annoying support/initiator.
- Shiva's Guard the armor and the aura will slow the enemy carry's attack, while its active ability places a slowing debuff on enemies.
- Pipe of Insight gives much more health regeneration and increases your magic resistance.
- Heart of Tarrasque makes you a lot more tanky. A very important item to obtain if the enemy has highly mobile heroes who deal high damage.
- Radiance synergizes well with Heartstopper Aura. Acquiring this will make your presence very strong during teamfights and help keep your lanes clear of enemy creeps.
- Boots of Travel can be bought to make you faster and able to push the lanes more effectively and present in teamfights.
- Octarine Core lowers the cooldown of Necrophos' abilities, allowing him to spam Reaper's Scythe and Death Pulse. If purchased with Radiance, you will heal every second.
- Lotus Orb if Necrophos finds himself to be a high priority target for the enemy.