The minimap is a HUD element that represents the game map on a smaller scale. It displays in real time the location and status of buildings, heroes, creeps, couriers and wards. The minimap is subject to team vision, with unseen areas covered by the fog of war. Certain events and Terrain items can alter the appearance of the minimap.
These settings can be changed in the game options.
- Location: Changes the minimap to display on the bottom left or bottom right of the interface.
- Simple Colors: Uses a single color for all heroes on the same team.
- Hide Background: Hides graphical background on the minimap, and displays only essential game elements like heroes, couriers, buildings, wards, and creeps.
- Simple Background: Replaces graphical background on the minimap by simple background. Turned on by default.
- Draw Hero Icons: When holding ALT, displays hero icons instead of hero names.
- Always Use Icons/Names: Permanently displays hero icons and names instead of arrows and O's.
- Slardar and Viper are still using the icon before remodeled on minimap.
These three extra icons were meant for Brewmaster when using Primal Split, but they are currently unused.
Some cosmetic items will alter a hero's minimap icon. Click on an icon to view the corresponding item.
The black background is shown for contrast, and is not part of the icons.
Friendly wards are colored green (blue in colorblind mode), and enemy wards are colored red. When spectating, Radiant wards are green/blue, and Dire wards are red.
Bounty Runes are always shown when available, while other runes are only shown when having vision on them.
The Scan button is located on the right of the minimap
Players can use the Scan ability on the right of the minimap UI to detect any enemy heroes in an area.
Scans a targeted 900 AoE for 8 seconds. Indicates whether there are enemy heroes in that area during the 8 seconds.
Cast Range: Global
Scan Interval: 1
Ping Sound Interval: 2
- Has a global team-wide cooldown of 4.5 minutes.
- Starts on cooldown (not available at the beginning of the match).
- The button is located at the bottom right corner of the minimap border, above the Glyph of Fortification button.
- Checks for enemy presence in 1 second intervals, starting immediately on use, resulting in 9 checks.
- When a hero is detected, the green (blue in color blind mode) minimap indicator turns red.
- Does not show how many heroes there are, just if there are any enemy heroes.
- Does not give vision or reveal anything other than the presence of enemy heroes.
- Enemies do not know when your team casts it.
- Right clicking anywhere on the minimap will command the hero to move to that location. However, there is a delay of 0.2 seconds, where clicks will not be registered. This is to prevent missclicks.
- Ground-target abilities, such as Wrath of Nature, can be cast by clicking on the minimap.
- Clicking on the minimap while using Town Portal Scroll or Boots of Travel will teleport the hero to the specified location's nearest allied building.
- Alt + Left Clicking on the minimap will alert your team about a location by Play playing a sound and showing an exclamation mark on their minimap.
- Clicking Buildings will play a different sound, and generally mean a Play defense/Play attack of the building is desired.
- Ctrl + Alt Left Clicking on the minimap will alert your team by Play playing a different sound and showing an X on their mini-map, generally indicating danger.
Holding down both Ctrl and the left mouse button while moving your cursor over the minimap will draw lines on the minimap. These lines can be seen by all allied players, and their color corresponds to the color of the player. Lines will fade after a few seconds.
There are several console commands that can be used to modify the minimap in various ways to match an individual player's preferences. Some of the commonly used ones are shown below.
|| Use extra large minimap.
|| Changes the hero minimap icon size.
|| Minimum time after the mouse enters the minimap before accepting a move command. Can be increased slightly to prevent accidental misclicks.
|| Adjust how long pings are displayed on the minimap.
|| Disables right clicks on the minimap.