Matchmaking is the process through which the system groups players into opposing teams for public games. Players who decline a ready match are blocked from finding another match for 45 seconds.
 Find a match
This function matches the player with or against random teams and solo players.
 Find a Ranked Match
This function matches the player to play in Ranked Matchmaking Games. Players gain and lose points after playing 10 trial games.
- Players must play 10 trial games for the system to calibrate their Matchmaking Rating.
- Unlike Casual Matches, MMRs for Ranked Matches are visible.
- Ranked Matches can be played solo or with a Party.
- Separate MMRs are maintained for both solo and Party queueing.
- Players must be above Profile Level 13 to queue for Ranked Matches.
- Parties with any player below the Profile Level requirement will not be able to queue for Ranked Matches.
- Players in Low Priority cannot queue for Ranked Matches.
- Parties with any player in Low Priority will not be able to queue for Ranked Matches.
- Coaches are not permitted in Ranked Matches.
- All players in party must have unlocked the game mode the party can queue for it.
- Abandonment is treated "more severely" in ranked matches.
 Find a team match
This function matches your team against another random team. You must be in a team to queue for this function. Team matches are always played in Captains Mode.
 Find a co-op bot match
This function matches you or your team against AI-controlled bots. If you are queuing solo, the system will select your teammates based on similar skill ranking. Co-op bot matches are always played in All Pick mode.
Settings allow players to be matched only with others who have selected the same settings. Selecting more settings can significantly reduce wait time, as the system will be able to search for compatible players from a larger population pool.
 Game Modes
Game Modes determines which modes you would like to queue for. Checking more game modes will increase matchmaking speed.
Current game modes for public matchmaking include:
- All Pick
- Single Draft
- Captain's Mode
- Random Draft
- Least Played
- All Random
- Limited Heroes
- Captain's Draft
- Ability Draft
Region determines which regional server you would like to play on. Checking more regions will increase matchmaking speed, but may cause latency issues if the server location is far away. You can select up to 6 regions.
Current regions include:
- US West
- US East
- Europe West
- Europe East
- South America
- SE Asia
- South Africa
The preference window allows you to select up to 3 languages. You will be matched with other players who have selected the same languages. Checking more languages will increase matchmaking speed. If no languages are checked, you will be matched with people of any language preference (fastest matchmaking speed).
Current languages include:
 Matchmaking Rating
All matchmaking is based on an Matchmaking Rating (MMR) similar to the Elo system. Players of roughly equal skill will be placed in the same game. Partying with higher or lower ranked teammates skews this calculation in unknown ways.
Priority determines how quickly the player is matched with other players. There are 3 types of priority: high priority (given briefly to players who have had their match declined), base priority, and low priority. Players in low priority will not gain battle points from the match, will find games slower and will be put with other players in low priority. Low priority is the punishment pool as a punishment for abandonment.
 See also