Banehallow the Lycan is a melee strength hero who is capable of immense physical damage and considerable movement speed, who also excels at pushing buildings and bolstering his team's damage. He is capable of summoning Wolves who make excellent sources of damage and objective control. His Howl gives a large boost to the attack damage of his allies, while Feral Impulse turns Lycan and his pack into prime fighters on their own. When the time is right, Shapeshift allows the Lycan himself to join in the hunt, overwhelming foes with deadly critical strikes and incredible movement speed.
Bio[edit | edit source]
Abilities[edit | edit source]
- Using this spell replaces currently active Lycan Wolves under his control.
- The wolves gain abilities as the spell gets leveled.
- Already summoned wolves do not get new abilities when the spell is leveled. Only wolves summoned after leveling get them.
- Has a cast backswing of 0.6 during Shapeshift.
- The effects are provided by an aura and thus the buff lingers for 0.5 seconds after the duration.
- This means that any unit summoned after the cast of Howl still get the buff for its remaining duration.
- This also means that when Lycan is dead, the effects are lost. However, if he comes back to life before its duration ends, the effects are provided again for its remaining duration.
- Affects all allied and own units, including invulnerable and hidden units, except for the zombies from Tombstone, illusions and wards.
- Does not affect lane creeps.
- The sound effect is global for allies only.
- Upon cast, Lycan Wolves owned by him play a special animation. This has only visual purposes.
- Only increases base damage and that given by the primary attribute of affected units. Raw bonus damage is not increased.
- The buff lingers for 0.5 seconds after leaving the radius.
- Affects all units under Lycan's control, not just himself and his wolves.
- Lycan illusions dominated by Enchant do not grant Enchantress' units the bonuses, only the illusion itself keeps them.
- During the transformation, Lycan cannot do anything. Cannot be interrupted.
- Unlike other transformation spells with transformation time, Shapeshift does not disjoint projectiles.
- The movement speed and critical strike are provided by a global aura which affects all units owned by Lycan. The aura buff lingers for 0.1 seconds.
- The critical strike increases the attack damage of Lycan and all his units by an average of 16%/24%/32%.
- The proc chances of multiple crit sources stack.
- If two sources of critical strike proc at the same time, the higher multiplier has priority.
- The critical strike uses pseudo-random distribution.
- Shapeshift is fully canceled on death.
Lycan Wolf[edit | edit source]
- Available for level 2-4 wolves.
- Deals damage in 1 second intervals, starting 1 second after proccing, resulting in 4 instances.
- Can deal up to 32 damage to the target (before reductions).
- Multiple procs on the same target do not stack, but refresh the duration instead.
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
- Quelling Blade helps Lycan farm, especially if he starts in the jungle.
- Ring of Protection gives some early durability upgrades into Ring of Basilius.
- Tangos are always good to have, as is an Iron Branch or two since you'll need one anyway for your Vlad's.
- Power Treads gives you movement speed, attack speed, and some extra damage and durability while set on strength.
- Ring of Basilius gives extra armor to your wolves, extra mana regeneration for yourself, and later builds into Vladmir's Offering.
- Blight Stone is the cheapest item that will improve your wolves' damage output by reducing your targets' armor. It can be upgraded into a Medallion of Courage or a Desolator.
- Vladmir's Offering gives lifesteal, damage, and armor in an aura, so his wolves get more powerful as well. The mana regeneration also helps with his small mana pool.
- Necronomicon 3 is the default option on Lycan. The extra strength and intelligence is always nice too.
- Black King Bar is useful on many melee heroes. Lycan is no exception as more strength and temporary magic immunity let him get to his target and deal more damage when he gets there.
- Soul Ring is an alternative source of mana in the early game, which can be useful considering Summon Wolves's high mana cost of 145.
- Medallion of Courage is usually the better choice over Soul Ring, as it enables you to take out Roshan by your lonesome self. It can also be upgraded into a Solar Crest. It can be difficult to properly micro-manage your minions while using your items' abilities so you can also skip it if you don't feel like doing too many things at once.
- Skull Basher is a reliable-ish way to add a disable to your arsenal and stop someone. It can be upgraded later to an Abyssal Blade through purchase of a Vanguard which isn't the worse either on Lycan.
- Heaven's Halberd gives Lycan's attacks a chance to lesser maim; slowing opponents attack and move speed helping him chase them down, with additional evasion.
- Heart of Tarrasque greatly increases health and health regeneration allowing Lycan to tank more effectively. The damage gained from it is also entirely from strength, which is amplified by both Feral Impulse and Vladmir's Offering. Lycan can also run out of a fight with Shapeshift at very low HP and come right back into it after a short rest.
- Boots of Travel are highly recommended late game, or when the enemies tier 3 tower or barracks are vulnerable. Whenever the enemy tries to push, go to a lone lane and split push as much as you can. Lycan is arguably one of the best heroes at taking down towers fast, due to this enemies will have to send someone back to deal with you. However, if a teamfight starts anyways, you can teleport back to help your allies instead.
- Desolator improves Lycan's tower pushing and increases his damage. It also synergizes with an Assault Cuirass pickup and creates a huge armor disparity.
- Assault Cuirass gives armor, attack speed to Lycan and his allies (including his minions), and reduces the opponents' armor (including their towers').
- Moon Shard is an interesting choice on Lycan. Many players love to split-push and avoid fights while playing Lycan. Few items will help you take down towers faster than a Moon Shard, but it gives no other benefit except a bit of extra night vision (but you don't need any other benefits if you're avoiding fights and only hitting buildings).
- Monkey King Bar gives you a good chance to cancel the enemies channelled abilities including Town Portal Scrolls. It can be necessary when facing tons of evasion or blind effects such as Keeper of the Light's Blinding Light or Phantom Assassin's Blur. It's one of the few scenarios where you may opt to skip entirely Necronomicon.
- Shadow Blade gives good an extra tool for initiation or escape, and is a favourite for ganking players. The bonus damage coming out of stealth is always helpful. It can be further upgraded into a Silver Edge.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Audio[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Lycanthropy refers to the ability of a human to transform into a wolf, or gain wolf-like characteristics. The term derives from the Greek word lykànthropos, which translates to "wolf man", or "werewolf" in English.
- The line Play "Was I a wolf who dreamed he was a man?" refers to a quote by Chinese philosopher Zhuangzi - "Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man."
- The line Play "Are you an air wolf?", refers to the American famous television series "Airwolf", counting this response is said to Gyrocopter.
- The line Play "Who fears the wolf should fear the forest." is a reference to Russian novelist Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoyevsky quote from 'The Gambler' : 'Who fears the wolf should never enter the forest'
- The line Play "I thought you were Team Yakov!" is a reference (and pun) to Jacob Black from the Twilight series, who is a werewolf. Fans divide themselves into "teams" by who their most preferred main character is, one of such teams is "Team Jacob".