Banehallow the Lycan is a melee strength hero who is capable of immense physical damage and considerable movement speed, who also excels at pushing buildings and bolstering his team's damage. He is capable of summoning Wolves who make excellent sources of damage and objective control. His Howl gives a large boost to the attack damage of his allies, while Feral Impulse turns Lycan and his pack into prime fighters on their own. When the time is right, Shapeshift allows the Lycan himself to join in the hunt, overwhelming foes with deadly critical strikes and incredible movement speed.
|This article or section may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Dota 2 Wiki's quality standards.
You can help. The discussion page may contain suggestions.
- Wolves can be used to scout runes at the beginning of the match and during the laning phase to avoid losing gold and experience.
- Always Summon Wolves in base when going out to jungle for the first time (at about the 0-10 second mark) since the wolves are fast enough that you can get a creep camp killed without using any mana.
- Wolves' invisibility at level 3, very low base attack time and quick movement make them great deniers. Use them to destroy runes, aegis and allied towers with all impunity if the situation is too risky, or too far away for you to go there in person. The most talented players will even manage to entirely body-block a hero in a narrow path with both wolves.
- Wolves can also be used to scout and keep tabs on particular heroes without them knowing. Select your wolf and hit M (default) and then click an enemy hero; the wolf will follow the hero but will not attack, so it will remain invisible. Do this with each wolf and you can get constant vision of two enemy heroes. This is great for setting up ganks or for evaluating whether to take a team fight in a particular area. Keep in mind that if your wolves lose vision of who they're following for too long, they'll stop following.
- At level 7, with items like Vladmir's Offering and Power Treads or Medallion of Courage, Lycan can solo Roshan. Summon your Wolves and tank them alternately with the hero, but not let them die until re-summon is ready. Keep Shapeshift just in case the enemy comes for you, so you can escape.
- When taking on Roshan, it is advised to use a Smoke of Deceit to avoid being spotted by enemy observer wards. Teams facing a Lycan will do their best to prevent early Roshan kills by planting observer wards near the pit; given that a detected Lycan is easy prey while doing battle with Roshan, slipping past those wards will do wonders for his lifespan.
- Nature's Prophet has great synergy with Lycan, for several reasons. Howl can drastically increase the combat effectiveness of Treants by boosting their damage potential. This same advantage can also aid in handling Roshan, allowing boosted Treants to tank him instead of Lycan. Nature's Prophet is (like Lycan) a jungling and laning hero, so his absence while fighting Roshan is not a great concern for his teammates. Finally, the Prophet's ability to teleport directly into Roshan's pit is also useful for avoiding enemy wards (using Nature's Call in Roshan's Pit with Sprout is advised, however, in order to remain undetected by said wards).
- Shapeshift is a very strong and versatile Ultimate to use. When activated, it gives Lycan hasted movement speed, allowing a great deal of maneuverability in battle to chase down fleeing heroes or to escape from potentially dangerous areas. While Shapeshifted, you are immune to every Slow, including Hex, Purge and Slow Ultimates like Epicenter, Freezing Field, and Primal Roar (though if directly targeted by Primal Roar, the stun is still applied).
- An Armlet of Mordiggian can be helpful in certain situations, as it provides good DPS for low cost and as well as some survivability. The HP drain is partially negated by the Lifesteal of Vladmir's Offering.
- Boots of Travel are highly recommended late game, or when the enemies tier 3 tower or barracks are vulnerable. Whenever the enemy is absent from a lane, you can summon level 3-4 wolves to slip behind enemy creep waves undetected, and then teleport to them to backdoor.
- Lycanthropy refers to the ability of a human to transform into a wolf, or gain wolf-like characteristics. The term derives from the Greek word lykànthropos, which translates to "wolf man," or "werewolf," in English.
- The line "Was I a wolf who dreamed he was a man?" refers to a quote by Chinese philosopher Zhuangzi - "Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man."
- Named changed from Lycanthrope to Lycan.
- Fixed Backswing behavior for: Soul Rip, Tombstone, Cold Feet, Ice Vortex, Chilling Touch, Enfeeble, Shallow Grave, Thunder Strike, Kinetic Field, Static Storm, Malefice, Midnight Pulse, Howl, Stifling Dagger, Static Link, Shrapnel, Psionic Trap, Whirling Axes (Ranged), Storm Hammer, Gods Strength, Wave of Terror, Venomous Gale, Shadow Word, Fatal Bonds, The Swarm, Time Lapse, Maledict, Overpower and Ice Shards.
- Pseudo Random chances are now enabled for these abilities:
- Fixed wolves having max speed for their duration after Shapeshift ends if summoned during Shapeshift.
- Fixed Shapeshift speed boost disappearing from other units upon Lycan.
- Fixed other controlled units not getting movement buff if created after Shapeshift was cast.
- Fixed Shapeshift not healing for the amount of bonus HP he gains.
- Fixed Lycan Wolves giving too much XP.
- [Undocumented] Updated the hero selection portrait.
- Fixed a bug where if Nature's Prophet cast Sprout on Lycan in wolf form while he was running, Lycan could run through the trees and escape the sprout.
- Added Lycan in Captain's Mode
- [Undocumented] Added ability icons for Lycan's wolves.
- Added strings for Lycan.
- No longer grants 1.5 Base Attack Time
- Cooldown increased from 100/70/40 to 120/90/60
- Movement speed increased from 522 to 650
- Now has a 1.5 seconds transformation time
- Shapeshift no longer provides 100/200/300 bonus health.
- Wolves Fade Time decreased from 3 to 1.7.
- Level 3 Wolves now have Invisibility.
- Level 4 Wolves now have a passive ability that gives them 15 HP regen.
- Armor increased by 1 ( Shapeshift total armor is still the same as before).
- Base damage increased by 5.
- Howl bonus damage for non-hero units increased from 4/8/12/16 to 5/10/15/20.
- Wolves magic resistance increased from 50% to 80%.
- Armor increased by 1 ( Shapeshift total armor is still the same as before).
- Base Int increased from 15 to 17.
- Spirit Wolves armor increased by 1.
- Summon Wolves manacost increased from 125 to 145.
- Spirit Wolves HP decreased from 400/450/500/550 to 200/240/280/320.
- Spirit Wolves now have 50% magic resistance.
- Fixed Shapeshift speed buff remaining after dying with Aegis.
- Feral Impulse AoE reduced from global to 900.
- Shapeshift base attack rate changed from 1.4 to 1.5.
- Wolves HP reduced from 400/475/550/625 to 400/450/500/550.
- Undid melee hero collision change from 6.72c
- Melee hero collision size now reduced from 24 to 12.
- Wolves move speed increased from 400 to 400/420/440/460.
- Wolves collision size reduced.
- Rebalanced all Melee heroes between 100 and 128 range to be 128 range
- Lycan previously had 100 range.
- Feral Impulse damage and attack speed bonus increased from 10/15/20/25% to 15/20/25/30%.
- Shapeshift form critical strike improved from 1.5 to 1.7x.
- Spirit Wolves critical strike improved from 1.5 to 1.7x.
- Shapeshift duration increased from 14/15/16 to a constant 18 seconds.
- Howl hero bonus damage from 11/22/33/44 to 20/30/40/50 (unit bonus damage scaling remains 4/8/12/16).
- Howl duration from 16 to 12.
- Howl cooldown from 35 to 50/45/40/35.
- Lowered Lycan's Wolves Hitpoints.
- Lowered base armor on Lycan and his wolves by 2.
- Lowered base armor on Lycan's Wolves from 5 to 2.
- Reworked Lycan a bit.
- Increased Howl's duration.
- Increased duration of Lycan's wolves a bit and allowed them to attack air.
- Reduced cooldown on high level Shapeshift.
- Slightly reduced Shapeshift's cool down.
- Increased Lycanthropy Wolves' base armor.
- Minor armor buff (usually 1) to most melee heroes
- Lycan Wolf Form has proper melee attack, not missle based
- Reduced Shapeshift hitpoints from 150/275/400 to 100/200/300
- Lycan's wolves collision size reduced to fix bugs in certain locations of the map.
- Howl given 10 second cooldown from 0.