22 + 3
16 + 1.9
17 + 1.55
Banehallow the Lycan is a melee strength hero who is capable of immense physical damage and considerable movement speed, who also excels at pushing buildings and bolstering his team's damage. He is capable of summoning Wolves who make excellent sources of damage and objective control. His Howl gives a large boost to the attack damage of his allies, while Feral Impulse turns Lycan and his pack into prime fighters on their own. When the time is right, Shapeshift allows the Lycan himself to join in the hunt, overwhelming foes with deadly critical strikes and incredible movement speed.
| Banehallow, the Lycan
| Play "Wolves need no armor."
|| Carry / Pusher / Jungler / Durable / Escape
|| Banehallow was noble-born to the house of Ambry, the greatest of the landed castles in the old kingdom of Slom. Before the Fall, as the King’s wants grew strange, and his court grew crowded with sorcerers and charlatans, the house of Ambry was the first to rise against the avarice of the throne. No longer willing to pay homage and fealty, they instead sent six-thousand swords into the capital, where they were wiped out in the Massacre of the Apostates. And then came the teeth behind the old truth: When you strike a king’s neck, you had better take his head. Enraged by the betrayal, the king exterminated the vast Ambry bloodline, sparing only the lord of the house and his youngest son, Banehallow. Before all the royal court, with the disgraced lord chained to the ornate marble floor, the King bade his magicians transform the boy into a wolf so that he might tear out his own father’s throat. “Do this,” the king said, “so that Lord Ambry will understand the bite of betrayal.” Powerful magic was invoked, and the child was transformed. But though his body was changed, his spirit remained intact, and instead of biting the exposed neck of his father, he attacked his handlers, tearing them to pieces. A dozen of the King’s knights perished under the wolf’s teeth before they managed to drive it off into the night. Lord Ambry laughed from his chains even as the King ran him through with a sword. Now the heir to the lost house of Ambry, Banehallow wanders the trail as the Lycan, part warrior, part wolf, in search of justice for all that he lost.
|| Nolan North (Responses)
- The effects are provided by an aura and thus the buff lingers for 0.5 seconds after the duration.
- This means that any unit summoned after the cast of Howl still get the buff for its remaining duration.
- This also means that when Lycan is dead, the effects are lost. However if he comes back to life before its duration ends, the effects are provided again for its remaining duration.
- The sound effect is global for allies only.
- Upon cast, Spirit Wolves owned by Lycan play a special animation. This has only visual purposes.
- During the transformation, Lycan can't do anything. Cannot be interrupted.
- Unlike other transformation spells with transformation time, Shapeshift does not disjoint projectiles.
- The movement speed is provided by a global aura which affects all units owned by Lycan. The aura buff lingers for 0.1 seconds.
- When dying during Shapeshift, all bonuses are lost.
| Lycan Wolf
- Vladmir's Offering gives lifesteal, damage, and armor in an aura, so his wolves get more powerful as well. The mana regeneration also helps with his small mana pool.
- Power Treads give you movement speed, attack speed, and some extra damage and durability if you set them to give strength.
- Black King Bar is useful on many melee heroes. Lycan is no exception as more strength and temporary magic immunity let him get to his target and deal more damage when he gets there.
- Necronomicon is an amazing item for pushing and paired up with Howl, Feral Impulse, and Vladimir's Offering, it actually provides more DPS than any other item that Lycan can get - provided the Necronomicon units don't get killed.
- Assault Cuirass gives armor, attack speed to Lycan and his allies (including his wolves), and reduces opponents' armor.
- Desolator helps push down buildings, as well as amplify damage done by wolves.
- Heaven's Halberd gives Lycan's attacks a chance to maim, slowing opponents and helping him chase them down.
- Heart of Tarrasque greatly increases health and health regeneration allowing Lycan to tank more effectively. The damage gained from it is also entirely from strength, which is amplified by both Feral Impulse and Vladmir's Offering. It is especially strong on Lycan thanks to his slipperiness - Lycan can run out of a fight at very low HP and come back into the fight after a short rest.
- Abyssal Blade gives a massive amount of damage and helps chase enemies down.
- Wolves can be used to scout runes at the beginning of the match and during the laning phase to avoid losing gold and experience.
- Always Summon Wolves in base when going out to jungle for the first time (at about the 0-10 second mark) since the wolves are fast enough that you can get a creep camp killed without using any mana.
- Wolves' invisibility at level 3, very low base attack time and quick movement make them great deniers. Use them to destroy runes, aegis and allied towers with all impunity if the situation is too risky, or too far away for you to go there in person. The most talented players will even manage to entirely body-block a hero in a narrow path with both wolves, and possibly deny yourself if certain debuffs are placed on Lycan.
- Wolves can also be used to scout and keep tabs on particular heroes without them knowing. Select your wolf and hit M (default) and then click an enemy hero; the wolf will follow the hero but will not attack, so it will remain invisible. Do this with each wolf and you can get constant vision of two enemy heroes. This is great for setting up ganks or for evaluating whether to take a team fight in a particular area. Keep in mind that if your wolves lose vision of who they're following for too long, they'll stop following.
- Always keep an eye on the minimap. Save Howl to give teammates a decent damage boost, aiding them in fighting and securing kills.
- At level 7, with items like Vladmir's Offering and Power Treads or Medallion of Courage, Lycan can solo Roshan. Summon your Wolves and tank them alternately with the hero, but not let them die until re-summon is ready. Keep Shapeshift just in case the enemy comes for you, so you can escape.
- When taking on Roshan, it is advised to use a Smoke of Deceit to avoid being spotted by enemy observer wards. Teams facing a Lycan will do their best to prevent early Roshan kills by planting observer wards near the pit; given that a detected Lycan is easy prey while doing battle with Roshan, slipping past those wards will do wonders for his lifespan.
- Nature's Prophet has great synergy with Lycan, for several reasons. Howl can drastically increase the combat effectiveness of Treants by boosting their damage potential. This same advantage can also aid in handling Roshan, allowing boosted Treants to tank him instead of Lycan. Nature's Prophet is (like Lycan) a jungling and laning hero, so his absence while fighting Roshan is not a great concern for his teammates. Finally, the Prophet's ability to teleport directly into Roshan's pit is also useful for avoiding enemy wards (using Nature's Call in Roshan's Pit with Sprout is advised, however, in order to remain undetected by said wards).
- Shapeshift is a very strong and versatile Ultimate to use. When activated, it gives Lycan hasted movement speed, allowing a great deal of maneuverability in battle to chase down fleeing heroes or to escape from potentially dangerous areas. The 650 movement speed is shared with units under his control allowing the wolf and necronomicon to constantly right click (and burn the mana of the target). While Shapeshifted, you are immune to every Slow, including Hex, Purge and Slow Ultimates like Epicenter, Freezing Field, and Primal Roar (though if directly targeted by Primal Roar, the stun is still applied).
- An Armlet of Mordiggian can be helpful in certain situations, as it provides good DPS for low cost and as well as some survivability. The HP drain is partially negated by the Lifesteal of Vladmir's Offering.
- Boots of Travel are highly recommended late game, or when the enemies tier 3 tower or barracks are vulnerable. Whenever the enemy tries to push, go to a lone lane and split push as much as you can. Lycan is arguably one of the best heroes at taking down towers fast, due to this enemies will have to send someone back to deal with you. However, if a teamfight starts anyways, you can teleport back to aid the fight.
- Any item that provides armor reduction (Desolator, Medallion, Assault Cuirass) or an aura benefits both the wolves and the Necronomicon units. Keep in mind that the melee Necronomicon Warrior has the lowest Base Attack Time of the game of 0.75 seconds, which makes him scale really well with Howl's flat damage bonus. Adding reduced armor to the mix will considerably increase your total DPS.
- Lycanthropy refers to the ability of a human to transform into a wolf, or gain wolf-like characteristics. The term derives from the Greek word lykànthropos, which translates to "wolf man," or "werewolf," in English.
- The line Play "Was I a wolf who dreamed he was a man?" refers to a quote by Chinese philosopher Zhuangzi - "Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man."
- The line Play "Are you an air wolf?", refers to the American famous television series "Airwolf", counting this responce is said to Gyrocopter.
- The line Play "Who fears the wolf should fear the forest." is a reference to Russian novelist Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoyevsky quote from 'The Gambler' : 'Who fears the wolf should never enter the forest'
February 04, 2015 Patch
- Fixed Lycan shapeshifting while disconnected giving all creeps the move speed bonus.
November 21, 2013 Patch
- Named changed from Lycanthrope to Lycan.
July 18, 2013 Patch
- Fixed Backswing behavior for: Soul Rip, Tombstone, Cold Feet, Ice Vortex, Chilling Touch, Enfeeble, Shallow Grave, Thunder Strike, Kinetic Field, Static Storm, Malefice, Midnight Pulse, Howl, Stifling Dagger, Static Link, Shrapnel, Psionic Trap, Whirling Axes (Ranged), Storm Hammer, God's Strength, Wave of Terror, Venomous Gale, Shadow Word, Fatal Bonds, The Swarm, Time Lapse, Maledict, Overpower and Ice Shards.
November 30, 2012 Patch
July 12, 2012 Patch
- Fixed wolves having max speed for their duration after Shapeshift ends if summoned during Shapeshift.
May 10, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Shapeshift speed boost disappearing from other units upon Lycan.
- Fixed other controlled units not getting movement buff if created after Shapeshift was cast.
- Fixed Shapeshift not healing for the amount of bonus HP he gains.
- Fixed Lycan Wolves giving too much XP.
April 26, 2012 Patch
- [Undocumented] Updated the hero selection portrait.
April 12, 2012 Patch
- Fixed a bug where if Nature's Prophet cast Sprout on Lycan in wolf form while he was running, Lycan could run through the trees and escape the sprout.
March 28, 2012 Patch
- Added Lycan in Captain's Mode
- [Undocumented] Added ability icons for Lycan's wolves.
March 22, 2012 Patch
- Added Lycan!
January 19, 2012 Patch
- Increased strength gain from 2.75 to 3.0.
- Increased Shapeshift critical strike chance from 30% on each level to 30%/35%/40%.
- No longer reduces base attack time to 1.5.
- Increased cooldown from 100/70/40 to 120/90/60.
- Increased movement speed from 522 to 650.
- Now has a 1.5 second transformation time.
- Reduced duration from 12 to 10.
- Reduced hero attack damage bonus from 20/30/40/50 to 14/26/38/50.
- Shapeshift no longer increases health by 100/200/300.
- Increased base armor from 0 to 1 (total armor is now 3.24).
- Increased base attack damage from 31-35 to 36-40 (total attack damage is now 58-62).
- Increased Summon Wolves magic resistance from 50% to 80%.
- Increased Howl non-hero attack damage bonus from 4/8/12/16 to 5/10/15/20.
- Shapeshift no longer grants 1 bonus armor.
- Increased base armor from -1 to 0 (total armor is now 2.24).
- Reduced Shapeshift armor bonus from 2 to 1.
- Summon Wolves
- Increased manacost from 125 to 145.
- Reduced health from 400/450/500/550 to 200/240/280/320.
- Wolves now have 50% magic resistance.
- Fixed Shapeshift speed buff remaining after dying with Aegis.
- Melee hero collision size now reduced from 24 to 12.
- Increased attack range from 100 to 128.
- Summon Wolves
- Increased movement speed from 400 to 400/420/440/460.
- Reduced collision size from 24 to 8.
- Feral Impulse
- Increased movement speed bonus from 10%/15%/20%/25% to 15%/20%/25%/30%.
- Increased attack speed bonus from 10/15/20/25 to 15/20/25/30.
- Increased Shapeshift duration from 14/15/16 to 18 on each level.
- Increased hero attack damage bonus from 11/22/33/44 to 20/30/40/50.
- Reduced duration from 16 to 12.
- Increased cooldown from 35 to 50/45/40/35.
- Reduced base armor from 1 to -1 (total armor is now 1.24).
- Summon Wolves
- Reduced health from 400/400/600/700 to 400/475/550/625.
- Reduced armor from 2 to 0.
- Shapeshift now grants Lycan 2 armor.
- Old Howl:
- An eerie howl grants inner strength to all nearby allied units. Increses base damage for a while.
- Radius: 500
- Attack Damage Bonus: 8%/16%/24%/32%
- Duration: 35
- Cooldown: 10
- Manacost: 20/27/34/41
- Nnotes: Places a debuff on allies upon cast. The % increase only considers base damage and damage from attritubes.
- New Howl:
- An eerie loud howl grants an inner strength to all player controlled units.
- Radius: Global
- Hero Attack Damage Bonus: 11/22/33/44
- Non-Hero Attack Damage Bonus: 4/8/12/16
- Duration: 16
- Cooldown: 35
- Manacost: 15/20/25/30
- Notes: The effect is aura-based. If a unit was summoned after the howl, it still gets the damage. The damage is a flat bonus, not percentage.
- Old Feral Heart:
- Increases movement speed and attack speed of the Lycanthrope.
- Movement Speed Bonus: 3%/6%/9%/12%
- Attack Speed Bonus: 15/19/23/27
- New Feral Impulse:
- Increases the attack damage and speed of Lycan and his units.
- Radius: Global
- Attack Damage Bonus: 10%/15%/20%/25%
- Attack Speed Bonus: 10/15/20/25
- Notes: Affects all units under Lycan's control. Only increases base damage and that granted by attributes. Does not increase raw damage bonus.
- No longer increases base attack damage from 31-35 to 40-62.
- Now applies a 522 movement speed haste on Lycan and all his controlled units.
- Increased critical strike chance from 10% to 30%.
- Reduced critical strike damage from 200% to 150%.
- Reduced duration from 40/50/60 to 14/15/16.
- Reduced cooldown from 160/150/140 to 100/70/40.
- Reduced manacost from 150/175/200 to 100 on each level.
- Increased Howl duration from 20 to 35.
- Summon Wolves
- Increased duration from 45 to 55.
- Can now attack flying units.
- Reduced Shapeshift cooldown from 160/150/140 to 160/145/120.
- Increased base armor from 0 to 1 (total armor is now 3.24).
- Changed attack properties during Shapeshift from ranged to melee (attack range stays the same).
- Reduced health bonus from 150/275/400 to 100/200/300.
- No longer uses 2 second transformation time.
- Reduced Lycan's wolves collision size to fix bugs in certain locations of the map.
- Increased Howl cooldown from 0 to 10.
- This ability got reworked into the current Howl in the 6.53 gameplay patch.
- Places a buff on allies upon cast.
- Only increases base damage and that given by the primary attribute of the affected units. Raw bonus damage is not increased.
| Feral Heart|
| Increases the movement speed and attack speed of the Lycanthrope.
| Movement Speed Bonus: 3%/6%/9%/12%|
Attack Speed Bonus: 15/19/23/27
|His animalistic symbiosis with canine kind gives Banehallow enhanced reflexes and hunting capabilities.
- This ability got reworked into the current Feral Impulse in the 6.54 gameplay patch.