Luna the Moon Rider is a Ranged Agility carry hero. Even though she can be seen as a tempting target for enemy heroes, Luna possesses solid early game laning presence due to her Lucent Beams, a cheap, low-cooldown nuke, and her Lunar Blessing aura, which grants all nearby allied heroes increased damage. Mid-game, she becomes far more formidable with Moon Glaives, allowing her to kill entire creep waves with two to three attacks, and Eclipse, which can very quickly kill a hero if that hero is unfortunate enough to catch its full blast. Luna is a very common pick in professional matches, owing to her unique status as a hard carry who is also a dangerous nuker. Her Achilles' Heel is her fragility; she has no escape abilities and cannot handle a lot of punishment, relying on her enormous movement speed to keep her out of harm's way. Luna begins and ends a match dangerously, and if carefully and skillfully played will destroy anybody who stands against her.
|This article or section may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Dota 2 Wiki's quality standards.
You can help. The discussion page may contain suggestions.
- Luna and Night Stalker complement each other well; as Eclipse causes day to become night and Darkness gives both of them a very long vision range.
- Early points in Lunar Blessing will make last-hitting creeps easier. At any rate, make sure you have a single point in it before the first night as only one point is needed for the full amount of vision it bestows.
- Early points in Moon Glaives will push the lane. Moon Glaives is commonly not leveled at all until the laning phase has concluded.
- Extremely unusually for a hard carry, Luna gains significant killing power with a level advantage, owing to Lucent Beam and by extension Eclipse.
- Lucent Beam's cast range is gigantic. Use it to pick off fleeing heroes.
- Bear in mind Eclipse's range is much smaller than Lucent Beam's.
- Under almost all circumstances Luna should be paired with a disabler for her laning phase; as aside from her high movement speed she has absolutely nothing to help her avoid ganks or kill attempts.
- It takes significant skill and knowledge of the game to solo a lane with Luna. Her very small attack range and purely damage-oriented skill set mean she is extremely easy to kill. Even then, it is recommended to have ward vision and easy access to team backup for her to be successful in a solo lane. The advantage of running a solo Luna is that it is essentially high-risk high-reward. A Luna with level advantage doing well can easily set the momentum of the game in her team's favor.
- Watch out for enemy heroes that carry a Blade Mail. Enemy heroes who carry them will most likely use them when you activate Eclipse. Any damage they take from Eclipse will reflect back to you, and since Luna is such a fragile hero, she will get hit back hard. Buying a Black King Bar will remedy this problem.
- In DotA, Luna was a night elf. Night elves are a prominent race in the Warcraft universe, so this change was likely made to avoid copyright issues with Blizzard.
- Judging from their lore and dialogue, Luna and Mirana are both affiliated, with Mirana bearing a higher royalty than her, something Luna seems to resent.
- Luna's lore, quotes, accent, and reverence for Selemene derive largely from the Celts. Celtic lore heavily features warrior queens, who were often associated mystically with the moon.
- The name Selemene is a reference to the Greek goddess Selene, who was associated with the moon and the night. The Greek goddess Artemis also bears relevance, as she represented both lunar powers and the hunting of prey.
- The name Luna means moon in the Bulgarian, Italian, Russian, Romanian, and Spanish languages.
- Her mount's name is Nova.
- Beefed up Luna's Lucent Beam impact a tiny bit.
- Fixed Moon Glaive bouncing on ward type units.
- Fixed Moon Glaive bounce order.
- Enabled Rubick, Wisp, and Luna in Captain's Mode.
- Fixed Eclipse ending if you get Cycloned.
- Added Luna, Wisp.
- Fixed a number of abilities having incorrect interaction with Sphere: Slithereen Crush, Jinada, Wind Walk, Echo Slam, Moon Glaive, Death Pulse, Purification, Scream of Pain, Fatal Bonds.
- Base agility reduced from 22 to 18.
- Moon Glaive
- Can now bounce back on the same units if it already hit all other units nearby.
- Bounce damage reduced from -30% to -35%.
- Eclipse (Aghanim's version) beam count limit per target removed.
- Lunar Blessing bonus damage increased from 14/20/26/32 to 14/22/30/38.
- Moon Glaive level 4 bounce count increased from 4 to 5.
- Moon Glaive damage decrease per bounce decreased from 35% to 30%.
- Base damage increased by 5.
- Lunar Blessing rescaled from 8/16/24/32 to 14/20/26/32.
- Eclipse (Aghanim's version) target limit increased from 5 to 6.
- Strength growth increased from 1.75 to 1.9.
- Movement speed increased from 320 to 330.
- Eclipse now turns day into night for 10 seconds.
- Lunar Blessing
- Bonus damage increased from 6/12/18/24 to 8/16/24/32.
- Now always provides full night vision.
- Lunar Blessing reworked
- Provides all nearby allied heroes with constant bonus damage as well as extra night vision for your hero.
- Night Vision: 250/500/750/1000.
- Bonus Damage: 6/12/18/24.
- Note: This only affects heroes.
- Lucent Beam now has a constant 0.6 ministun instead of 0.01/0.1/0.3/0.6.
- Increased Lunar Blessing aura range (300->900).
- Aghanim's Scepter Eclipse cooldown no longer improves; only the Lucent Beam count gets upgraded.
- Scaled the cooldown on Eclipse from 140 seconds for all levels to 160/150/140 seconds.
- Eclipse no longer continues after death, Beam interval is increased from 0.5 to 0.6 seconds.
- Eclipse's damage is based on Lucent Beam level and doesn't ministun.
- Lucent Beam ministun duration increases per level.
- Lowered Eclipse's manacost and gave it constant cooldown progression.
- Increased Lucent Beam's casting range and lowered manacost slightly.
- Improved Luna base damage
- Eclipse no longer depends on Lucent Beam level
- Luna attack range from 300 to 330
- Max number of Eclipse per target reduced from 5 to 4 (6 to 5 on Scepter)
- Luna's attack range increased from 225 to 325
- Eclipse cooldown increased a little bit
Model before November 21, 2013 Patch