Lion the Demon Witch is a ranged intelligence hero who is adept at disabling and nuking his enemies, as well as being a strong lane support. Although his abilities do not scale into the lategame, his offensive power can destroy enemies during the early game and remain useful throughout the game, though more so to very fragile heroes than others.
Lion is famous for his outstanding ability combos, making him a solid and versatile choice in any team composition. He has the ability to drain mana from enemy heroes with his Mana Drain ability and his complement of disables makes him an effective team-fighter and support in any stage of the game.
| Lion, the Demon Witch
| Play "All hell's broken loose, and I hold the pieces."
|| Disabler / Nuker / Lane Support / Support
|| Once a Grandmaster of the Demon Witch tradition of sorcery, Lion earned fame among his brethren for fighting on the side of light and righteousness. But adulation corrupts. With powers surpassed only by his ambition, the mage was seduced by a demon and turned to evil, trading his soul for prestige. After committing horrible crimes that marred his soul, he was abandoned. The demon betrayed him, striking better deals with his enemies. Such was Lion’s rage that he followed the demon back to hell and slew it, ripping it limb from limb, taking its demonic hand for his own. However, such demonoplasty comes at a cost. Lion was transfigured by the process, his body transformed into something unrecognizable. He rose from hell, rage incarnate, slaying even those who had once called him master, and laying waste to the lands where he had once been so adored. He survives now as the sole practitioner of the Demon Witch tradition, and those who present themselves as acolytes or students are soon relieved of their mana and carried off by the faintest gust of wind.
|| Tom Chantler (Responses)
- Can only be cast on units which have a mana pool.
- Drains 2/4/6/12 mana in 0.1 second intervals, starting 0.1 seconds after cast, resulting in 50 instances.
- Can drain up to 100/200/300/600 mana when fully channeled.
- Instantly destroys targeted illusions on the first interval.
- Earth Spike works as both a nuke and a stun, and can hit multiple enemies. Targeting Earth Spike on the ground can be less accurate, but is necessary to utilize the ability's max range.
- Level 4 Earth Spike does approximately the same damage and stun as a level 2 Ravage, with only a 12-second cooldown. While it's obviously much harder to land a multi-hero Earth Spike, this can be Lion's most important spell when used effectively. Positional items, particularly Blink Dagger, make it much easier to land Earth Spike on multiple heroes.
- As a pure disable spell, Hex doesn't deal damage but lasts longer than Earth Spike. It also has an instant cast time, making it a more secure standard opening spell when going on the offensive in a gank (rather than risking a swift enemy reaction to Earth Spike).
- Use your disables one after the other so you maximize potential disable time.
- Use Mana Drain on ranged creeps or neutral creeps that have mana to keep your mana high.
- Using Mana Drain on enemy heroes is a very good form of harrassment, and it maximises killing potential for laning partners like Anti-Mage.
- Whether leveling Mana Drain as a semi-carry is more or less effective is dependent on the situation. If Hex and Earth Spike are leveled and Arcane Boots are built (with an optional Attribute Bonus) Lion will be much harder to kill, and still have enough mana at any time. However, some enemy heroes will be impaired by having their mana stolen from them, and some allied ones will be facilitated. Let the hero lineup on both sides inform your decision. For example, if there is a Storm Spirit or Leshrac on the opposing team, leveling Mana Drain is wise as these heroes are crippled horribly by accelerated loss of mana. However, if the enemy team has an Outworld Devourer or a Keeper of the Light, leveling Mana Drain is fairly pointless as these heroes have abilities which replenish mana for themselves and others.
- Mana Drain is still useful if left for late-game, as it greatly reduces Lion's need to return to base.
- Mana Drain also pops Linken's Sphere, which makes Lion an excellent hero for catching and focusing down elusive heroes that commonly carry Linken's Sphere like Weaver, Puck, and Storm Spirit. At level 4, it has a 5-second cooldown, which means it should always be available when you need it.
- Mana Drain also effective at eliminating illusion from fair range with its only 10 mana cost and could completely negate some abilities, most notable are Terrorblade illusion, Morphling ultimate and early Chaos Knight ultimate. However, it might be dangerous to use if enemy team is approaching or focusing you due to the cast and effect delay.
- Finger of Death is a very powerful nuke, especially considering Lion's largely supportive role. Use it to help damage enemy carries or to eliminate supports; but try not to use it for a sure kill unless a carry is unable to execute it themselves, as they require kills much more than Lion does. Combined with Dagon, it deals enough damage to one-shot many heroes throughout most of the game, but its best to resist this to allow allies to level.
- Considering base 25% magical resistance on most heroes, Finger of Death instantly kills units below 450/543/637(543/656/768*) health if they have no other forms of resistance. The only exception to this is Meepo and Visage.
- Lion combos exceptionally well with Lina and Shadow Shaman as his disable will allow Lina to land Light Strike Array not to mention that together they can cut down even high HP heroes within moments. With Shadow Shaman due to the fact that both possess two disable abilities they can effectively disable a hero indefinitely or for a very lengthy duration.
- It is not uncommon to see support heroes such as Lion to purchase Ghost Scepter in order to protect themselves from DPS heroes in team fights. If the game is going well you might even consider completing the item into an Ethereal Blade as it not only makes you impervious to physical attacks it allows you to greatly increase the damage output of your spells. Be wary however to not use the Ethereal Blade on a hero your team carry is about to kill as it impedes your own team's dps heroes from attacking your target.
- Force Staff is a good alternate to Blink Dagger, it gives more mobility and initiate options, especially if the enemy team has a Radiance.
- Phase Boots on a roaming support Lion, when paired with a Bottle, give better chasing and kill potential.
- Eul's Scepter of Divinity should also be considered if you are constantly out of mana or need the additional movement speed and disable, and you can not afford Scythe of Vyse.
- In the transition from DotA to Dota 2, the names of two of Lion's abilities were changed. Impale changed to Earth Spike and Voodoo changed to Hex.
- Lion's rival response towards Witch Doctor Play "All we need now is a wardrobe." is a reference to the second book in The Chronicles of Narnia book series by C.S. Lewis, titled The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.
July 03, 2013 Patch
- Updated Lion's head.
February 07, 2013 Patch
- Fixed some ability Backswing timing issues ( Kunkka, Clockwerk, Timbersaw, Meepo, Pudge, Spirit Breaker, Sand King, Riki, Nyx Assassin, Lion, Pugna, Shadow Demon, Batrider).
May 24, 2012 Patch
- Updated Lion's hero selection icon to reflect his new texture.
May 10, 2012 Patch
- Updated Lion's minimap icon to match his new texture.
April 26, 2012 Patch
- New visual style for Lion.
April 12, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Mana Drain missing its last 1/4 tick.
August 04, 2011 Patch
- Lion portrait is less clown colors.
August 03, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Lion's Mana Drain and Shadow Shaman's Shackles to properly handle getting purged.
August 02, 2011 Patch
- Impale no longer uses a frontal cone.
July 08, 2011 Patch
- Mana Drain will now stop if the unit goes into the FOW
- Mana Drain will now kill illusions in 1 second instead of 2
- Fixed Impale' timing.
- Fixed Impale to not affect Ancients.
July 01, 2011 Patch
- Mana Drain is now eaten by Sphere and it will cancel the channel.
- Mana Drain now ticks once per second over 4 seconds.
- Mana Drain is now not purgable.
- Finger of Death damage is now delayed by 0.25 seconds.
June 24, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Lion being able to cast Mana Drain on units without mana.
- New Shape Model and Animation for Lion [has no updated textures/details yet]
June 10, 2011 Patch
- Fixed cast point issues with Shadow Shaman, Lion and Tinker.
March 17, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Lion's impale starting too far away from him.
February 04, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Lion's Mana drain working on units with no remaining mana.
January 30, 2011 Patch
- Fixed cases where creating a linear projectile directly on yourself would cause it to get stuck. This includes fixes to Fissure, Ghost Ship, Dragon Slave, Arrow, Impale, Waveform, Illusory Orb, Meat Hook, Burrowstrike, Wave of Terror, and Power Shot.
- Increased Hex unit movement speed from 100 to 140.
- Base attack damage increased by 7
- Mana Drain drain interval from 0.25 to 0.1
- Earth Spike damage increased from 60/130/200/260 to 80/140/200/260
- Hex cooldown reduced from 30/25/20/15 to 30/24/18/12.
- Mana Drain duration increased from 4 to 5.
- Cooldown increased from 15 to 30/25/20/15.
- Duration increased from 1.75/2.5/3.25/4 to 2.5/3/3.5/4.
- Finger of Death cooldown rescaled from 150/90/55 to 170/105/40.
- Finger of Death damage increased from 500/650/850 to 600/725/850 (Aghanim's from 600/800/1025 to 725/875/1025).
- Mana Drain initial cast range increased from 600/650/700/750 to 750.
- Mana Drain threshold range increased from 800 to 850.
- Mana Drain cooldown decreased from 25/20/15/10 to 20/15/10/5.
- Hex cooldown increased from 13 to 15.
- Hex manacost increased from 110/140/170/200 to 125/150/175/200.
- Hex duration increased from 1.25/2/2.75/3.5 to 1.75/2.5/3.25/4.
- Mana Drain level 4 increased from 100 to 120 per second.
- Mana Drain now drains at 0.25 second intervals instead of 1 second.
- Finger of Death and Laguna Blade no longer target magic immune (since they do 0 damage but waste spell)
- Hex duration reduced from 1/2/3/4 to 1.25/2/2.75/3.5 seconds.
- Recoded Earth Spike:
- No longer turns hit enemies invulnerable during the air time.
- No longer causes hit enemy units to instantly face towards Lion.
- No longer requires channeling in order for the spikes to reach max distance.
- No longer conflicts with Burrowstrike, Impale, Ravage and Earth Spike from other Lions.
- No longer fails to stun and damage enemies when the targeted point was a cliff.
- Lion's Mana Drain is now faster (same mana drain over 4 seconds instead of 5).
- Improved Lion's movement speed a little.
- Improved Lion's Mana Drain level 4 a little
- Reduced duration of Lion's Hex from 2/3/4/5 to 1/2/3/4
- ↑ The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.