Lion the Demon Witch is a ranged intelligence hero who is adept at disabling and nuking his enemies, as well as being a strong lane support. Although his abilities do not scale into the lategame, his offensive power can destroy enemies during the early game and remain useful throughout the game, though more so to very fragile heroes than others.
Lion is famous for his outstanding ability combos, making him a solid and versatile choice in any team composition. He has the ability to drain mana from enemy heroes with his Mana Drain ability and his complement of disables makes him an effective team-fighter and support in any stage of the game.
Bio[edit | edit source]
Abilities[edit | edit source]
- The spikes travel at a speed of 1600.
- When targeting a unit, the spikes are released towards its current location upon cast. Spikes do not home, thus can be evaded.
- While in the air, other units may pass below hit airborne units.
- The damage is applied upon landing, not upon getting hit.
- Can hit units up to 950 range away (825 travel distance + 125 spikes radius).
- When Earth Spike hits invisible units, the visual effects below the hit unit are still visible.
- Applies a Hex on the target, setting its base movement speed to 140, silencing, muting and disarming it.
- Because hex changes base move speed and does not actually apply a slow, all speed effects are calculated using the 140 base speed.
- For example:
- Lion's hex transforms the target into a frog.
- Can only be cast on units which have a mana pool.
- The link breaks when the target gets out of vision, turns spell immune or invulnerable, exceeds the break distance, or runs out of mana.
- Drains 2/4/6/12 mana in 0.1 second intervals, starting 0.1 seconds after cast, resulting in 50 instances.
- Can drain up to 100/200/300/600 mana when fully channeled.
- Instantly destroys targeted illusions on the first interval.
- Finger of Death's damage is delayed by 0.25 seconds, so it can be avoided by turning spell immune, invulnerable or hidden after cast.
- Cannot be disjointed.
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
- Tangoes and a Healing Salve provide HP sustain in-lane, allowing Lion to remain active despite enemy harass.
- Gauntlets of Strength, while expensive as a starting item, provides Lion with strength, increasing his meager HP and giving him some more survivability.
- Iron Branch is cheap and can be purchased with any leftover gold, giving Lion some additional stats. It can be built into a Magic Wand or Mekansm components if needed.
- Animal Courier should always be purchased by the support. If another support purchases courier, it is advised to purchase other support items such as Observer Wards.
- Observer Ward should always be picked up when available, one of the core duties of a support. Spotting enemy movements allows Lion and his team to re-position to meet them, and lets Lion pounce on his foes with his array of disables and nukes.
- Flying Courier should be purchased as soon as it is available if playing in the hard support role.
- Magic Stick gives Lion burst HP and mana regen, critical to have on hand for low-HP casters whose spells can make large differences in teamfights. While a fully-charged Magic Stick is not fully guaranteed to allow Lion to cast one more spell if he's out of mana, it can buy him a few seconds to contribute more in an engagement or escape pursuers.
- Boots of Speed is important to get early on Lion due to his strong disables. The extra movement speed allows Lion to chase enemies and get into position to cast his disables, securing early kills for his team.
- Bracer can be upgraded from Gauntlets of Strength, giving Lion more HP as well as additional other attributes.
- Magic Wand is a great upgrade for extra attributes and the additional charges, always useful on hard supports. Its cheap price makes it useful on Lion, who will not always have the gold to buy better items.
- Tranquil Boots are the best boots upgrade for Lion, as they are cheap and give him everything he needs. The passive HP regen keeps his health pool topped off, synergizing with his ability to keep his mana pool at full with Mana Drain. The additional armor gives him increased survivability, while the increased movement speed gives him better roaming and positioning ability.
- Force Staff is a powerful utility and mobility item on Lion that grants him more mana, base damage, and some HP sustain. It can serve as an inferior substitute to Blink Dagger, or as a supplement to further increase Lion's mobility. The active can also be used to help allies re-position as needed, or on an enemy to disposition them or instantly break their Linken's Sphere ahead of other disables.
- Sentry Ward is crucial to purchase regularly as a support Lion. As a ranged hero, Lion can destroy enemy Observer Wards he finds, taking away map vision from the enemy team.
- Town Portal Scroll is important to carry at all times. Lion's nuking and disabling potential allows him to turn ganks and teamfights completely around if he is present.
- Aether Lens is a very strong item to obtain on Lion. The increased mana pool allows Lion to more easily get off his spell combos due to the high cost of Finger of Death, and can be easily replenished with Mana Drain, while the HP regen works alongside Tranquil Boots to keep Lion's HP topped up. The cast range increase can greatly extend the reach of all of Lion's spells, especially Hex and Earth Spike for disabling foes, and the spell damage amp makes his nukes deal additional damage as well.
- Mekansm is useful to build on Lion if no other teammates can utilize the item effectively. The additional stats and armor increase Lion's survivability, while the heal drastically improves his teamfight contribution. As well, Lion does not suffer from the tremendous mana cost of the item as he can always recoup it with Mana Drain.
- Blink Dagger is extremely powerful on Lion, and should be considered a core item no matter his farm situation. The ability to instantly jump on top of enemies allows him to get much more use out of Hex and Earth Spike, greatly increasing the odds of getting kills on the enemy.
- Boots of Travel are invaluable in the late game for the additional movement speed and ability to globally teleport. The movement speed helps with Lion's positioning and chasing, while the teleport allows him to jump to allied creeps to set up or participate in kill opportunities on other parts of the map.
- Scythe of Vyse is expensive, but is a strong late-game item on any casting-oriented support. In Lion's case, it gives him better overall stats and reduces his reliance on Mana Drain, while also adding yet another instant hard disable to his already formidable arsenal.
- Dagon drastically increases Lion's nuking potential, as it allows him to double up on the already formidable nuking power of Finger of Death. However, it is extremely expensive to upgrade and can be relatively useless if bought too late, so it is best purchased if Lion already has a strong gold advantage and needs to end the game early.
- Aghanim's Scepter greatly augments Finger of Death's killing power, as well as drastically reducing its cooldown to allow it to be used tactically. It is best purchased if Lion is given farm priority and his team has good crowd control that can group the enemy up to hit them with the area of effect.
- Urn of Shadows can be a strong alternative purchase over Bracer. Given his roaming ability, Lion can accumulate charges relatively easily, and then use those charges offensively or defensively, healing his team or dealing more damage in fights.
- Medallion of Courage gives Lion more utility, along with a blend of armor and mana regeneration. As a ranged support with strong disables, Lion can use the active on gank targets, increasing the damage they take from teammates' physical attacks. It can also be used on Roshan to reduce his armor, and later upgraded into a Solar Crest for even more benefits.
- Ghost Scepter is useful on low-HP casters such as Lion. The ability to evade physical damage for a short duration can buy Lion time to survive if the enemy attempts to focus him down, giving him the few seconds he may need to get his spells off.
- Glimmer Cape gives Lion strong utility and some initiation power. The active can allow Lion to invisibly approach gank targets and get within range to cast his disables, and can even be used as a shield while channeling Mana Drain. More importantly, it can be cast on allies who are caught out of position, granting them invisibility and strong magic resistance to aid them in escaping.
- Eul's Scepter of Divinity can give Lion some very strong benefits. The item grants more movement speed, giving him more mobility, as well as some more intelligence and mana regen to help him with casting. The active ability can be used either as an additional disable on the enemy, or on Lion himself to give him temporary invulnerability while purging debuffs like silences.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Audio[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In the transition from DotA to Dota 2, the names of two of Lion's abilities were changed. Impale changed to Earth Spike and Voodoo changed to Hex.
- Lion's rival response towards Witch Doctor Play "All we need now is a wardrobe." is a reference to the second book in The Chronicles of Narnia book series by C.S. Lewis, titled The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Model before the April 26, 2012 Patch