18 + 1.5
16 + 1.5
27 + 3.2
Lina the Slayer is a ranged Intelligence hero, adept at destroying enemy heroes quickly by delivering massive bursts of magical damage, making her one of the most effective gankers in the game. She possesses immense damaging capabilities all throughout the game, but is very fragile. Two of her fiery spells are her main source of damage, Dragon Slave sends a wave of fire to burn enemies in her path while Light Strike Array stuns them with a concentrated pillar of solar flame. Each of her spells deals great damage early on and has a low cooldown. Her Fiery Soul bolsters her attack and movement speed every time she casts a spell, which gives her scaling damage for the later game. Laguna Blade, her ultimate, is her ace in the hole. Lina fires off a huge bolt of lightning at a single target, dealing colossal damage. Laguna Blade's damage is staggering in early-mid game, and late game is still enough to destroy frail enemy heroes. Dragon Slave, Light Strike Array, and Laguna Blade are incredible flaming nukes that can incinerate her target instantly, and Fiery Soul allows her to transition into a strong and fast physical attacker. Though her power falls from its peak late game, mana-boosting and damage-increasing items can be purchased to keep herself up.
| Lina, the Slayer
| Play "Fire makes a fine servant, but a harsh mistress."
|| Nuker / Disabler / Support
|| The sibling rivalries between Lina the Slayer, and her younger sister Rylai, the Crystal Maiden, were the stuff of legend in the temperate region where they spent their quarrelsome childhoods together. Lina always had the advantage, however, for while Crystal was guileless and naive, Lina's fiery ardor was tempered by cleverness and conniving. The exasperated parents of these incompatible offspring went through half a dozen homesteads, losing one to fire, the next to ice, before they realized life would be simpler if the children were separated. As the oldest, Lina was sent far south to live with a patient aunt in the blazing Desert of Misrule, a climate that proved more than comfortable for the fiery Slayer. Her arrival made quite an impression on the somnolent locals, and more than one would-be suitor scorched his fingers or went away with singed eyebrows, his advances spurned. Lina is proud and confident, and nothing can dampen her flame.
|| Jen Taylor (Responses)
- Can hit units up to 1275 range away (1075 travel distance + 200 end radius).
- The complete area is shaped like a cone.
- The visual effects and the sound during the 0.5 second effect delay are only visible and audible to allies.
- Lina has 2 different animations for this spell, leading to 2 possible cast backswing durations.
| Fiery Soul|
| Grants bonus attack and movement speed each time Lina casts a spell. Stacks with itself.
| Max stacks: 3|
Move Speed Bonus: 5%/6%/7%/8%
Attack Speed Bonus: 40/55/70/85
Stack Duration: 10
|Dancing flames embody Lina's playful nature, bringing out her true blazing self.
- Each spell cast refreshes the duration of the whole stack, making it theoretically possible to permanently have 3 stacks on.
- Combining Light Strike Array with a guaranteed stun such as Vengeful Spirit's Magic Missile or Sven's Storm Hammer makes Lina a serious ganking force early on.
- Positional items such as Eul's Scepter of Divinity, Blink Dagger, Force Staff or Phase Boots can help you a lot landing Light Strike Array and thus your whole spell combo without relying on other heroes.
- Always cancel the backswing animation after casting your spells, as Lina suffers from long animation times.
- In teamfights it can be very beneficial to quickly focus on low-HP or support heroes, as Lina has very good nuking abilities.
- When paired with Pugna or Shadow Demon, both of whom have percentage-based damage-increasing mechanics; Lina's burst damage becomes gigantic (a sceptred level 3 Laguna Blade will do about one thousand damage alone) to the extent where she can assassinate enemy heroes with a significant gear/level advantage over her.
- If Lina has the basic items she needs; it is wise to augment her physical attack for the sake of Fiery Soul. Almost uniquely among Intelligence supports, Lina's rightclick becomes a serious threat if she attains a level advantage (owing to her enormous Int growth and her passive ability). Some basic items for this build are Daedalus, Eye of Skadi and Monkey King Bar, as well as some form of lifesteal.
- Dagon can be used to nearly double the burst damage of Lina's ultimate.
- Lina's Laguna Blade can hit for 1900 damage if she combines Aghanim's Scepter and Refresher Orb, granting her enormous nuking power.
- While unmentioned purchasing an Ethereal Blade if the farm is available combined with an Aghanim's Scepter and Lina's naturally high Intelligence gain will give you a perfect combination of survivability through stats, armor and Ghost form and an enormous increase in damage output allowing Lina to instantly kill most low to average HP heroes provided that she lands all of her spells during the Ether Blast. The slow provided by Ether Blast also comes in very handy in landing Light Strike Array (The damage from an Aghanim's Scepter upgraded Laguna Blade is not amplified by the Ghost Form, since it is pure damage).
- If Lina is tending to be targeted first (this is a very common tendency), some survival-increasing / utility items will be of great use.
- Some players advocate building a Dagon in place of an Aghanim's Scepter, as it is cheaper (though not if upgraded) and ultimately does more damage (through both its active and its bonus to her attack damage). However, Aghs makes her significantly more durable, whereas Dagon does only slightly, and Lina is very fragile. If you think you are unlikely to die very much, Dagon is probably the wisest choice. However, Aghs can be a wise choice if there are some bkb's in the game or if playing against a Lifestealer or a Juggernaut as they both have magic imunity spells.
- For Fiery Soul to take to its peak, cast Dragon Slave, Light Strike Array, and Laguna Blade successively to take the speed-enhancing effect of Fiery Soul to its maximum potential.
- The original Lina Inverse "The Slayer" was modeled after the main character from the novels/anime/manga Slayers where Light Strike Array, Dragon Slave and Laguna Blade are all spells used by the original Lina Inverse.
- Lina's line Play "Better to burn out than fade away" is a reference to the Neil Young song, My, My, Hey, Hey.
- The line Play "Turn me over... I'm done." is a reference to Lawrence of Rome who was roasted alive on a giant grill and joked, "Turn me over — I'm done on this side."
- Lina's spell, Fiery Soul may have been inspired by Sailor Mars's spell "Fire Soul" from the anime/manga Sailor Moon.
- Though unstated in Warcraft DotA, in Dota 2 Lina and Rylai ( Crystal Maiden) are sisters with a bitter rivalry and have many unique responses when they encounter or kill each other.
- Lina's rival response towards Batrider Play "Why'd you stop? This isn't Batrider country." is a reference to a line in the movie Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
- In older versions of DotA, Lina was a male hero that used the Blood Mage model, also used by the Invoker. In these versions, Lina was known as Link Inverse.
February 16, 2015 Patch
- Fixed Lina's belt textures.
February 28, 2013 Patch
- Fixed Lina's Fiery Soul buff not showing the correct cooldown if it was refreshed with 3 stacks.
- [Undocumented] Updated the ability icons for Lina and Tusk.
February 14, 2013 Patch
October 25, 2012 Patch
September 13, 2012 Patch
April 19, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Dragon Slave's cast range being too short.
March 08, 2012 Patch
- [Undocumented]Updated Lina's textures.
February 16, 2012 Patch
- Fixed unit targeting behavior being bugged for the following abilities: Carrion Swarm, Dragon Slave, Breathe Fire.
- Added effect for Phase Boots and Fiery Soul.
- [Undocumented] Added injured animations for Lina.
August 02, 2011 Patch
- Dragon Slave no longer uses a frontal cone.
July 16, 2011 Patch
- New Lina!
- Light Strike Array and Dragon Slave should now hit ancients (except for the magic immune ones).
- Laguna blade has a 0.25 second delay before the damage is dealt.
July 01, 2011 Patch
- Fixed her abilities affecting Ancient creeps.
June 10, 2011 Patch
- Fixed bug that could result in invisible Lina and Skeleton Kings.
May 20, 2011 Patch
- Added new in-progress models for Lina, Drow, Windrunner.
February 19, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Dragon Slave distance and shape.
January 30, 2011 Patch
- Fixed cases where creating a linear projectile directly on yourself would cause it to get stuck. This includes fixes to Fissure, Ghost Ship, Dragon Slave, Arrow, Impale, Waveform, Illusory Orb, Meat Hook, Burrowstrike, Wave of Terror, and Power Shot.
January 27, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Light Strike Array not killing trees
December 17, 2010 Patch
- Toned down Lina's Light Strike Array effects.
- Punched up Laguna Blade effects.
- Increased attack projectile speed from 900 to 1000.
- Dragon Slave
- Increased damage from 100/170/230/280 to 110/180/250/320.
- Increased manacost from 90/105/125/140 to 100/115/130/145.
- Light Strike Array
- Rescaled damage from 90/150/210/280 to 120/160/200/240.
- Increased manacost from 90/100/110/125 to 100/110/120/130.
- Increased stun duration from 1.6/1.8/2/2.2 to 1.6/1.9/2.2/2.5
- Increased Fiery Soul stack duration from 9 to 10.
- Increased Dragon Slave end radius from 150 to 200.
- Fiery Soul
- Increased movement speed bonus per stack from 4%/5%/6%/7% to 5%/6%/7%/8%.
- Increased stack duration from 7 to 9.
- Increased Fiery Soul attack speed bonus per stack from 40/50/60/70 to 40/55/70/85.
- Reduced Laguna Blade cooldown from 120/90/55 to 90/70/50.
- Fiery Soul
- Increased attack speed bonus per stack from 30/40/50/60 to 40/50/60/70.
- Increased movement speed bonus per stack from 3%/4%/5%/6% to 4%/5%/6%/7%.
- Increased base intelligence from 24 to 27.
- Dragon Slave
- Increased travel distance from 700 to 800.
- Increased end radius from 125 to 150.
- Increased cast range from 600 to 800.
- Increased Fiery Soul movement speed bonus per stack from 2%/3%/4%/5% to 3%/4%/5%/6%.
- Increased base intelligence from 19 to 24.
- Reduced base attack damage from 18-36 to 13-31 (total attack damage is still 37-55 due to the increased intelligence).
- Fiery Soul:
- Grants Lina bonus attack and movement speed each time she casts a spell. Stacks with itself.
- Max stacks: 3
- Movement speed bonus per stack: 2%/3%/4%/5%
- Attack speed bonus: 20/30/40/50
- Stack duration: 5
- Notes: Each ability cast grants a stack. Each casts refreshes the duration of the entire stack. Item abilities do not give stacks.
- Reduced movement speed from 300 to 295.
- Increased movement speed from 290 to 300.
- Increased movement speed from 280 to 290.
- Increased Dragon Slave starting radius from 120 to 275.
Steam profile background art
- ↑ Slayers - Wikipedia
- ↑ Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas quotes