Lina the Slayer is a ranged Intelligence hero, adept at destroying enemy heroes quickly by delivering massive bursts of magical damage, making her one of the most effective gankers in the game. She possesses immense damaging capabilities all throughout the game, but is very fragile. Two of her fiery spells are her main source of damage, Dragon Slave sends a wave of fire to burn enemies in her path while Light Strike Array stuns them with a concentrated pillar of solar flame. Each of her spells deals great damage early on and has a low cooldown. Her Fiery Soul bolsters her attack and movement speed every time she casts a spell, which gives her scaling damage for the later game. Laguna Blade, her ultimate, is her ace in the hole. Lina fires off a huge bolt of lightning at a single target, dealing colossal damage. Laguna Blade's damage is staggering in early-mid game, and late game is still enough to destroy frail enemy heroes. Dragon Slave, Light Strike Array, and Laguna Blade are incredible flaming nukes that can incinerate her target instantly, and Fiery Soul allows her to transition into a strong and fast physical attacker. Though her power falls from its peak late game, mana-boosting and damage-increasing items can be purchased to keep herself up.
Bio[edit | edit source]
Abilities[edit | edit source]
- Light Strike Array destroys trees within the affected radius.
- The visual effects and the sound during the 0.5 second effect delay are only visible and audible to allies.
- Lina has two different animations for this spell, leading to two possible cast backswing durations.
- Using items does not trigger Fiery Soul.
- Each spell cast refreshes the duration of the whole stack, making it theoretically possible to permanently have max stacks on.
- At 3 stacks the buff grants 15%/18%/21%/24% movement speed and 120/165/210/255 attack speed.
Can be cast on spell immune enemies when upgraded.
Talents[edit | edit source]
|+1 Fiery Soul Max Stacks||25||-4s Dragon Slave Cooldown|
|+150 Attack Range||20||+6% Spell Amplification|
|+125 Cast Range||15||-30s Respawn Time|
|+20 Damage||10||+250 Mana|
- The attack damage is added as bonus attack damage, and therefore does not benefit illusions.
- Upgrading mana increases maximum mana capacity and keeps the current mana percentage.
- The cast range increase also affects the effect range of Dragon Slave.
- Respawn reductions cannot reduce respawn time below 1 second.
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
- Magic Stick is useful since Lina is squishy and has multiple high-cost low-cooldown spells picking up a Magic Stick can increase her early staying power greatly.
- Boots of Speed helps Lina get into position to land her abilities while avoiding danger zones.
- Bracer is a cheap and quick way of patching up Lina's naturally low HP pool.
- Bottle is a common pickup for Lina when playing in the mid lane.
- Phase Boots will further improve Lina's positioning as she has below average move speed by default. It will also compliment the natural attack speed she gains from Fiery Soul to improve its effectiveness early on.
- Arcane Boots is a viable alternative, especially for a more support oriented Lina.
- Blink Dagger gives Lina the ability to stay back in safety, then blink in at an opportune moment to cast her Light Strike Array before the enemy can see it coming and evade it.
- Eul's Scepter of Divinity enhances Lina's positioning even further and greatly boosts her mana-regeneration because of her high base Intelligence and Intelligence gain. It can also be used to set up Light Strike Array fairly reliably.
- Aghanim's Scepter roughly boosts Lina's Laguna Blade damage by another ability point, increases her survivability because of the increase to her attributes, and lets her damage stay relevant even against Black King Bar users in the mid or late game.
- Drum of Endurance is a natural upgrade from the Bracer she could pick up in the early game. It slightly improves her own positioning and all attributes for relatively low cost and also benefits her team.
- Shadow Blade can be useful for a carry Lina, as it helps her to cast Light Strike Array while invisible, and also provides her with an escape mechanism.
- Scythe of Vyse gives her team an important disable that also helps to ensure she lands Light Strike Array. Furthermore, its attribute bonuses will make her a bit more survivable and drastically improve her mana regeneration.
- Bloodstone can solve Lina's mana issues while also improving her low HP pool. With enough charges, she can keep up her full stacks of Fiery Soul without having to worry about being out of mana during the next team fight.
- Crystalys provides a good damage boost when playing as a semi-carry Lina.
- Black King Bar is sometimes picked up when Lina is carrying, especially against teams with many disables.
- Shiva's Guard both helps with Lina's mana regeneration problems as well as her low armor value while also benefiting her team with Shiva's Guard's aura and active ability.
- Rod of Atos provides Lina with a larger mana pool that becomes more important as teamfights expand and Laguna Blade becomes more mana-intensive, as well as a significant boost to her low HP pool. Its active effect can also greatly assist in landing her stun, and has a low enough cooldown to do so almost as soon as Light Strike Array comes off cooldown again.
- Flying Courier is a staple item choice for any support hero that wants to ensure their team members can get their items as quickly as possible.
- Octarine Core's lifesteal gives more survival potential in teamfights. Also, it gives a huge intelligence boost, as well as a greater ability to spam spells.
- Aether Lens provides a decent boost to Lina's damage, and makes it significantly easier to land her abilities.
- Ethereal Blade is a decent luxury item if the farm is available. It allows Lina to amplify her magical nukes, and slows enemies to help her land them. Using the active on herself is also a good escape mechanism against late game carries.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Audio[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The original Lina Inverse "The Slayer" was modeled after the main character from the novels/anime/manga Slayers where Light Strike Array, Dragon Slave and Laguna Blade are all spells used by the original Lina Inverse.
- Lina's line Play "Better to burn out than fade away" is a reference to the Neil Young song, My, My, Hey, Hey.
- The line also appears in the suicide note of Kurt Cobain.
- The line Play "Turn me over... I'm done." is a reference to Lawrence of Rome who was roasted alive on a giant grill and joked, "Turn me over — I'm done on this side."
- Lina's rival response towards Batrider Play "Why'd you stop? This isn't Batrider country." is a reference to a line in the movie Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
- In older versions of DotA, Lina was a male hero that used the Blood Mage model, also used by the Invoker. In these versions, Lina was known as Link Inverse.
- Lina's line Play "It's not the heat, it's the humiliation." is a reference to "It's not the heat, it's the humidity." used in tropical countries where humid weather causes people to sweat heavily although the temperature is not very warm.
- Lina's coils around her neck are possibly a representation of Kayan Lahwi women in Myanmar, who are also referred to as "dragon women".