26 + 2.6
18 + 1.7
20 + 2.2
Tresdin the Legion Commander is a melee Strength hero fitting the role of carry. A highly mobile and predatory hero, her skillset and gameplay revolves mainly around successfully killing off targets with her ultimate, Duel. Accomplishing this grants Tresdin permanent bonus damage. Though she is extremely skilled in "fair" one-on-one fights, Tresdin suffers when outnumbered and must choose her engagements carefully. A successful midgame sees her roaming the map collecting kills and becoming a very dangerous carry, whilst in lategame she ideally will no longer rely on Duel to win her fights and simply destroy any enemies that come too close to her. Though potentially an extremely powerful hero, she must be played with premeditation and good decision-making to reach her full potential.
| Tresdin, the Legion Commander
| Play "If they want war, then we shall give it to them!"
|| Carry / Disabler / Initiator / Durable / Nuker
|| They came without warning. Within the city walls of Stonehall there came a rumble and a terrible sound, and from blackness unknown came a force of beasts numbering beyond count, wielding flame and foul sorcery, slaying and snatching mothers and sons to dark purpose. Of once-mighty Stonehall's military strength only the Bronze Legion, led by the indomitable Commander Tresdin, was near enough to answer the call of battle. They rode into their city, fighting through bloodstained alleyways and burning markets, cutting their way through the monstrous throng to the source of the sudden invasion: an ethereal rift within the city square, and at its precipice thundered their dreaded champion.
Enwrapped in a corrosive shimmer, the leader of the abyssal horde swung its massive blade, cleaving a legionnaire in two as his flesh began to spoil. Tresdin lifted her blood-stained sword and settled her sights on the beast. It turned, smiling at her through a maze of teeth. Heedless of the battle raging around them, they charged one another.
Deflecting blow after blow, the pair danced their deadly duel as the Bronze Legion met its end around them. Tresdin leapt forward as her foe swung its sword to meet her. The odds turned. The attack smashed into Tresdin suddenly, a brutal thrust from the side, but even as her balance slipped she rallied her strength for another stroke. Blade scraped on blade, beyond the hilt to the gnarled paw below, carving it in two in a fearsome spray of sparks and blood. The vile audience looked on in astonishment as she pressed the attack, driving her blade through her foe's flesh into the stampeding heart within. With a scream that split the clouds above, the beast erupted in a torrent of gore and anguish. The stygian portal wavered, the power sustaining the chasm beyond vanishing as suddenly as it had appeared. The remaining invaders fell quickly to Stonehall steel.
Though victorious, the survivors saw little to celebrate: the city lay in ruins, and survivors were few. Fires continued to spread. Unfurling her banners of war, Tresdin gathered what allies she could. Her anger smoldered as she pledged brutal vengeance upon the forces of the abyss, and damned be any who would dare stand in her way.
|| Merle Dandridge (Responses)
- Summoned unit bonus damage is dealt before the base and bonus damage.
- Summoned units damage is only taken by units which were created by an ability.
- The bonus damage counts creep-heroes and illusions as creeps.
- One part of the spell's Play sound effect plays during the cast animation and is audible to everyone.
- Restores health in form of health regeneration, so it regenerates 3/4/5/6 health in 0.1 second intervals.
- Regenerates a total of 150/200/250/300 Health.
- Duel ends immediately when the distance between the duelists gets greater than 2000 at any point during it.
- The loser of the duel is the hero that dies while under the buff. There is no victor if both heroes are alive at the end of the duration, and no damage bonus is granted.
- The dueling units do not have to do the last hit to win the Duel. Allies and enemies may interfere.
- It does not matter how a duelist dies during the Duel, be it to enemies, allies or neutrals, the opponent always gets the damage.
- Dueling units fully ignore disarm. This includes the disarms from Chakram, Flaming Lasso and Burrow.
- If a dueling unit becomes ethereal, it still attacks. It can also be attacked by any unit during the Duel regardless, but still does not take physical damage.
- If a dueling units gets hexed, or disarmed by Frostbite or Overgrowth, it continues attacking.
- However, if Duel is cast on a hero which is already affected by one of the 3 above, it does not attack until they expire.
- Savage Roar also has no effect on dueling units at all, not applying the debuff on them.
- When Legion Commander dies to the shatter of Ice Blast, the dueled enemy does not get bonus damage. If the Duel target dies to it instead, Tresdin gets the damage.
- Duel can be cast on illusions. However, defeating them grants no bonus damage. But if the illusion is victorious, it gets the bonus damage, which is useless for the illusion.
- An early Ring of Basilius can be important for the armor and mana regen, as well as the little extra early attack damage it gives.
- A Magic Stick will help with Legion's early mana problems in lane, but is unnecessary in the jungle. It can always be built into a Magic Wand if necessary.
- An early Blink Dagger will allow Legion Commander to buff herself with Press the Attack, blink in and finally Duel someone without them knowing until it is too late. Thus, it serves as an excellent initiation tool.
- Desolator is a good item to consider as the armor reduction will help kill enemies in Duel faster, and is all-around helpful for your other allied carries.
- Black King Bar is useful to buy if you don't want to be interrupted during Duel. Just make sure to activate it BEFORE you cast Duel!
- Mjollnir is an excellent item to consider if you want attack speed and damage. Remember to activate the active before you Duel for extra damage when they attack you.
- Assault Cuirass is always beneficial as it gives your team armor, takes away the enemy team's armor, and gives very good attack speed that can be used to win Duels later in the game.
- Abyssal Blade gives the second highest attack damage of any item in the game behind Divine Rapier, as well as much needed strength. Avoid getting this early as it is very expensive and you should be focusing on getting more attack speed, and using the attack damage from already won Duels to win more Duels.
- Satanic is a good option if you really need more lifesteal and strength. However, most of the time Moment of Courage will give you enough survivability.
- Heaven's Halberd increases your survivability by giving you strength and evasion. Use the active ability to disarm a nearby target you don't want to duel, and not the target you want to, since duelling units ignore disarms.
- Aghanim's Scepter is a good rushed item situationally. It gives you excellent stats and makes you very tanky for the uninterruptible Duel that it also gives. The stats, combined with Moment of Courage allows you to almost always win any Duel against most Heroes in the early and midgame. Changed functionality as of patch 6.82.
- When using Duel, be sure to cast it on an enemy Hero who is relatively weaker than you, or has a fairly low amount of health remaining in order to ensure that the bonus attack damage will be given to you.
- Legion Commander works well with gankers, especially Bloodseeker, who is able to detect low-health Heroes in the map.
- If teamed up with Pudge try to keep close with him. Pudge can make enemy heroes come to you, when enemies know full well not to get caught in your ultimate. Let him do his combos first to soften up the caught foe, before casting Duel to ensure a kill. You'll both benefit this way, Pudge gets his bonus strength and you get the bonus attack damage.
- Even if an ally dealt the killing blow on the Hero that you are dueling, the attack damage is still applied to Legion Commander.
- Always go with your team. Although Legion Commander is a carry, she is better off with her team, ganking and getting kills through Duel rather than farming too much.
- Always try to get into fights, just be mindful and select the fights you know you can win. During early to mid-game, try targeting the softer casters or supports e.g. heroes like Crystal Maiden and Shadow Shaman. This way if you were to lose a Duel and they gain the bonus attack damage, it won't affect your team in the late-game as these heroes rely more on their spells than their attacks.
- Any items that can give Legion Commander both health and attack speed is a good pick for her, as she needs the health to be tanky in a Duel, and the attack speed to finish off the enemy before Duel expires. Her attack damage increases through kills from Duel, so items that only give attack damage aren't best bought first.
- Armor reducing items are particularly good on Legion Commander once you have won a few Duels because she gets attack speed from Press the Attack and attack damage from winning Duels.
- Before casting Duel on someone, try casting Press the Attack first to give you needed bonus attack speed.
- Due to the double edged nature of Duel, attempting to use it liberally on targets in teamfights can sometimes give bad results for you and your team, and initiating with it is not always the best choice as duels should ideally not last long in order to avoid being stunned and denied of your success. For this reason, she is best treated as a simple hard ganker in the early portions of the game until she has obtained enough duel victories to reach her carry status, and works best in co-ordinated teams that can effectively soften up the target you wish to engage, and most importantly keep them in place for a good while to prevent from getting out of range.
- Items like Skull Basher, Daedalus, Monkey King Bar or even Sange and Yasha help you defeat your Duel targets, and ensure that your damage will be boosted. However, other items like Blink Dagger, Black King Bar, Silver Edge and Blade Mail will help you fight better inside your ultimate for a lower price and set up good positioning, whether dueling or not. Farm these items first as they will help you scale better into late game, when more expensive items can be purchased.
- The transition of content from DotA to Dota 2 involved a change in gender for Legion Commander, despite the character and ability names remaining unchanged. She still makes references to her old characterization in a collection of lines when engaging certain heroes:
- When engaging heroes with mounts, she will often express her jealousy or interest for them (Play "I like your mount."). Her hero model in DotA rode a mount.
- She also comments on facial hair when dueling or killing certain heroes (Play "Nice mustache."). Her DotA hero model had a mustache.
- In DotA, her counterpart often expressed his distrust for anything which was not human. This is heavily expanded in Dota 2, where Legion Commander will instead express her distrust for numerous roles or states of being, instead of a single racial entity, in a bulk of her rival hero taunts.
- Tresdin's response, Play "War. War always changes." is a reference to the signature Fallout quote, "War. War never changes."
- Her response, Play "You won't win the war by dying for your Ancient. You'll win by making the other dumb, unfed bastard die for theirs!" is a reference to the popular George S. Patton quote: "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
- The horn sound effect when deploying Play Press the Attack utilizes the same Play sound the Concheror item uses in Team Fortress 2, another title from Valve.
- Her voice actress, Merle Dandridge, is also well known for providing the voice of Alyx Vance, a character in the game Half Life 2, another title by Valve.
- Reduced Moment of Courage cooldown from 2.7/2.1/1.5/0.9 to 2.6/2.0/1.4/0.8.
- Aghanim's Scepter upgraded Duel
- Reduced duration from until death to 4.75/5.5/6.25.
- Now makes the duelists immune to damage unless the source is between the Duel participants.
- Increased base attack damage from 31-35 to 35-39 (total attack damage from 57-61 to 61-65).
- Reduced Overwhelming Odds cooldown from 18 to 15.
- Reduced Press the Attack cast time from 0.3 to 0.2.
- Fixed Legion Commander sometimes auto-attacking nearby units after Duel ends instead of continuing to attack the dueled target.
- Overwhelming Odds no longer ignores ancient creeps, Roshan and creep-heroes.
- Moment of Courage
- Increased proc chance from 16%/18%/20%/22% to 25% on each level.
- Increased lifesteal from 20%/40%/60%/80% to 55%/65%/75%/85%.
- Increased cooldown from 0.9 on each level to 2.7/2.1/1.5/0.9.
- Added Aghanim's Scepter upgrade for Legion Commander: Causes Duel to last until either Legion Commander or her target dies. Ends if duelists are ever more than 2000 range apart.
- Moment of Courage
- Now only procs one extra lifesteal attack.
- Increased buff grace period from 0.5 to 1.
- Reduced cooldown reduced from 1.2 to 0.9.
- Increased base movement speed from 310 to 320.
- Overwhelming Odds
- Reduced base damage from 60/120/180/240 to 50/100/150/200.
- Increased bonus damage per unit from 10 to 14/16/18/20.
- Increased Duel cast range from 100 to 150.
- Increased Press the Attack duration from 4 to 5.
- Increased Duel attack damage bonus per victory from 10 to 10/14/18.
- Duel can now only target heroes (it didn't do anything on non-heroes already).