Tresdin the Legion Commander is a melee Strength hero fitting the role of carry. A highly mobile and predatory hero, her skillset and gameplay revolves mainly around successfully killing off targets with her ultimate, Duel. Accomplishing this grants Tresdin permanent bonus damage. Though she is extremely skilled in "fair" one-on-one fights, Tresdin suffers when outnumbered and must choose her engagements carefully. A successful midgame sees her roaming the map collecting kills and becoming a very dangerous carry, whilst in lategame she ideally will no longer rely on Duel to win her fights and simply destroy any enemies that come too close to her. Though potentially an extremely powerful hero, she must be played with premeditation and good decision-making to reach her full potential.
Bio[edit | edit source]
|Tresdin, the Legion Commander|
|Play "If they want war, then we shall give it to them!"|
|Role:||Carry / Disabler / Initiator / Durable / Nuker|
|Lore:|| They came without warning. Within the city walls of Stonehall there came a rumble and a terrible sound, and from blackness unknown came a force of beasts numbering beyond count, wielding flame and foul sorcery, slaying and snatching mothers and sons to dark purpose. Of once-mighty Stonehall's military strength only the Bronze Legion, led by the indomitable Commander Tresdin, was near enough to answer the call of battle. They rode into their city, fighting through bloodstained alleyways and burning markets, cutting their way through the monstrous throng to the source of the sudden invasion: an ethereal rift within the city square, and at its precipice thundered their dreaded champion.
Enwrapped in a corrosive shimmer, the leader of the abyssal horde swung its massive blade, cleaving a legionnaire in two as his flesh began to spoil. Tresdin lifted her blood-stained sword and settled her sights on the beast. It turned, smiling at her through a maze of teeth. Heedless of the battle raging around them, they charged one another.
Deflecting blow after blow, the pair danced their deadly duel as the Bronze Legion met its end around them. Tresdin leapt forward as her foe swung its sword to meet her. The odds turned. The attack smashed into Tresdin suddenly, a brutal thrust from the side, but even as her balance slipped she rallied her strength for another stroke. Blade scraped on blade, beyond the hilt to the gnarled paw below, carving it in two in a fearsome spray of sparks and blood. The vile audience looked on in astonishment as she pressed the attack, driving her blade through her foe's flesh into the stampeding heart within. With a scream that split the clouds above, the beast erupted in a torrent of gore and anguish. The stygian portal wavered, the power sustaining the chasm beyond vanishing as suddenly as it had appeared. The remaining invaders fell quickly to Stonehall steel.
Though victorious, the survivors saw little to celebrate: the city lay in ruins, and survivors were few. Fires continued to spread. Unfurling her banners of war, Tresdin gathered what allies she could. Her anger smoldered as she pledged brutal vengeance upon the forces of the abyss, and damned be any who would dare stand in her way.
|Voice:||Merle Dandridge (Responses)|
Abilities[edit | edit source]
- Summoned unit bonus damage is dealt before the base and bonus damage.
- Summoned units damage is only taken by units which were created by an ability.
- The bonus damage counts creep-heroes and illusions as creeps.
- The initial part of the spell's sound effect plays during the cast animation and is audible to everyone.
- The buff from multiple casts of Overwhelming Odds does not stack but gets refreshed instead.
- The speed bonus gets updated on each cast based on how many targets were hit.
- Only procs when a unit starts an attack against Legion Commander, regardless of distance.
- This means canceled or missed attacks can proc it as well.
- Upon proccing, Legion Commander receives a buff, which grants her 1000 attack speed and lifesteal.
- This buff lasts for 1 second, or until she lands an attack, whichever is shorter. Missed attacks do not count.
- If the ability procs while Tresdin is already attacking, she performs an instant attack on the current attack target.
- This instant attack does not interfere with the ongoing attack and uses no animation.
- The instant attack can proc any attack modifier or any on-hit effect like a regular attack.
- This means the instant attack also uses up the 1000 attack speed and lifesteal buff immediately.
- If Legion Commander is blinded, the instant attack can miss, unless she has True Strike. It can also miss to evasion.
- Cannot lifesteal off of wards, buildings and allied units.
- Moment of Courage uses pseudo-random distribution.
- Duel ends immediately when the distance between the duelists gets greater than 2000 at any point during it.
- The loser of the duel is the hero that dies while under the buff. There is no victor if both heroes are alive at the end of the duration.
- The dueling units do not have to do the last hit to win the Duel. Allies and enemies may interfere.
- It does not matter how a duelist dies during the Duel, be it to enemies, allies or neutrals, the victor gets the damage in most cases.
- The victor gets damage if the loser is denied, for example, by Nightmare.
- When Legion Commander dies to the shatter of Ice Blast, the dueled enemy does not get bonus damage. However, when the Duel target dies to the shatter instead, Legion Commander does get the damage.
- Meepo and his clones grant Duel damage as long as the dueled unit is the same as the initially killed one. Otherwise no damage is granted.
- Duel always has the highest priority over all taunts.
- Casting Force Staff or Geomagnetic Grip on a dueling unit has no effect, wasting the mana and cooldown.
- When a dueling unit is defeated and has Aegis of the Immortal or Reincarnation, the victor still gets the bonus damage.
- When casting Assimilate or Aghanim's Scepter upgraded Supernova on a dueling unit or a dueling unit is affected by Shadow Dance, the duel instantly ends with no victor.
Talents[edit | edit source]
|-8s Press the Attack Cooldown||25||+40 Duel Damage Bonus|
|-20s Respawn Time||20||+7 Armor|
|+20 Movement Speed||15||+30 Damage|
|+20% XP Gain||10||+7 Strength|
- The armor and attack damage are added as bonus armor and bonus attack damage, and therefore do not benefit illusions.
- Respawn reductions cannot reduce respawn time below 1 second.
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
- Stout Shield is generally a good idea if offlaning or jungling, as the decreased damage from attacks will help her stay alive, and help withstand harass from enemies in the offlane.
- Healing Salve is useful for a big burst of early lane regen, or a cheaper alternative to Stout Shield for a jungling start.
- Clarity potions help Legion Commander cast OO more often in the early game, ensuring more CS.
- Quelling Blade is necessary if you wish to jungle between waves when laning, and it helps get last hits.
- Iron Talon is often picked up for jungling.
- Ring of Basilius can be important for the armor and mana regen, as well as the little extra early attack damage it gives. As an option, it can be extended into a Vladmir's Offering if there are no other Vladmir's carriers in your team.
- Magic Stick will help with Legion's early mana problems in lane, but is unnecessary in the jungle. It can always be upgraded into a Magic Wand if necessary.
- Power Treads are essential on Legion Commander, because of the health and attack speed.
- Shadow Blade can be a good initiation tool for Legion Commander if there are no enemy sentries around; it adds some DPS to her attacks as oppossed to Blink Dagger which only provides the Blink ability. If you're fast enough you can Backstab your intended Duel target before Dueling right away to improve your chances of winning Duels, specially early on. It can also be upgraded to Silver Edge, which increases her stats and works very much the same for initiating Duel, but its Break can disable powerful passive abilities, such as Spectre's Dispersion and Desolate, Troll Warlord's Bash and Fervor or Phantom Assassin's Blur and Coup de Grace abilities (do note that Silver Edge's Break does not disable passives provided by items).
- Armlet of Mordiggian is an excellent option on Legion Commander because it gives health, attack damage and attack speed; quite literally every stat Tresdin could want. The health loss is also greatly mitigated by the lifesteal from Moment of Courage. If you already have Blink Dagger as well, this is a good choice for a damage item in order to start collecting damage from won Duels - simply activate Armlet before Blinking in and Dueling.
- Blade Mail can help deal more damage during Duels when the Duel target can easily out-damage Legion Commander, such as Huskar, Sven or Ursa. It's also great against ranged enemy carries in particular, since they may be able to attack and kite Legion Commander before she even approaches melee range to start counterattacking, but they tend to be very fragile, such as Drow Ranger, Windranger or Sniper.
- Blink Dagger will allow Legion Commander to mobility in battle filed more effective,letting her became much aggressive in the early game.
- Desolator is a good item to consider as the armor reduction will help kill enemies in Duel faster, and is all-around helpful for your other allied carries.
- Black King Bar is an all-round useful tool to avoid disables. Remember to activate it before using Duel.
- Mjollnir is an excellent item to consider if you want attack speed and damage. Remember to activate the active before you Legion Commander for extra damage when they attack you.
- Assault Cuirass is always beneficial as it gives your team armor, takes away the enemy team's armor, and gives very good attack speed that can be used to win Duels later in the game.
- Abyssal Blade increases her survivability giving bonus HP, HP regeneration and blocking 70 damage from incoming attacks. The bash chance is very powerful on her, since it can proc on the hits guaranteed by Moment of Courage. Avoid getting this early on, as it is very expensive and you should be focusing on getting more attack speed, and using the attack damage from already won Duels to win even more Duels.
- Satanic is a good option if you really need more lifesteal and strength. However, most of the time Moment of Courage will give you enough survivability.
- Monkey King Bar is always good against enemies who have any form of evasion.
- Daedalus can be a great damage item for Legion Commander if there is no particular need for True Strike or the disable effects provided by Skull Basher or Abyssal Blade. It is particularly good for Legion Commander, as the damage bonus from won Duels is multiplied by the Daedalus' critical strike, meaning that her attack damage increases multiplicatively with each Duel you win. Given enough Duels won, it's possible for her to out-damage much stronger physical damage carries such as Sven or Phantom Assassin, even if the latter may have an equally good item build.
- Heaven's Halberd increases your survivability by giving you strength and evasion. Use the active ability to the target you want to Duel to let you have more chance to win the Duel.
- Aghanim's Scepter is a good rushed item situationally. It gives you excellent stats and makes you very tanky for the uninterruptible Duel that it also gives. The stats, combined with Moment of Courage allows you to almost always win any Duel against most Heroes in the early and midgame.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Audio[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The transition of content from DotA to Dota 2 involved a change in gender for Legion Commander, despite the character and ability names remaining unchanged. She still makes references to her old characterization in a collection of lines when engaging certain heroes:
- When engaging heroes with mounts, she will often express her jealousy or interest for them (Play "I like your mount."). Her hero model in DotA rode a mount.
- She also comments on facial hair when dueling or killing certain heroes (Play "Nice mustache."). Her DotA hero model had a mustache.
- In DotA, her counterpart often expressed his distrust for anything which was not human. This is heavily expanded in Dota 2, where Legion Commander will instead express her distrust for numerous roles or states of being, instead of a single racial entity, in a bulk of her rival hero taunts.
- Tresdin's response, Play "War. War always changes." is a reference to the signature Fallout quote, "War. War never changes."
- Her response, Play "You won't win the war by dying for your Ancient. You'll win by making the other dumb, unfed bastard die for theirs!" is a reference to the popular George S. Patton quote: "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
- The horn sound effect when deploying Play Press the Attack utilizes the same Play sound the Concheror item uses in Team Fortress 2, another title from Valve.
- Her voice actress, Merle Dandridge, is also well known for providing the voice of Alyx Vance, a character in the game Half Life 2, another title by Valve.
- When dueling Zeus, There is a chance of Legion Commander yelling Thunderdome! Play which a reference to the Thunderdome of Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome!
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Envisioning Legion Commander Loading Screen concept art