Tresdin the Legion Commander is a melee Strength hero fitting the role of carry. A highly mobile and predatory hero, her skillset and gameplay revolves mainly around successfully killing off targets with her ultimate, Duel. Accomplishing this grants Tresdin permanent bonus damage. Though she is extremely skilled in "fair" one-on-one fights, Tresdin suffers when outnumbered and must choose her engagements carefully. A successful midgame sees her roaming the map collecting kills and becoming a very dangerous carry, whilst in lategame she ideally will no longer rely on Duel to win her fights and simply destroy any enemies that come too close to her. Though potentially an extremely powerful hero, she must be played with premeditation and good decision-making to reach her full potential.
Bio[edit | edit source]
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Abilities[edit | edit source]
|Turns the enemies' numbers against them, dealing damage and granting you bonus movement speed per unit or per hero. Deals bonus damage to illusions and summoned units as a percent of their current health.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Cast Range: 1000
Base Damage: 40/80/120/160
Damage per Creep: 14/16/18/20
Damage per Hero: 20/35/50/65
Current Health as Damage to Summons: 25%
Move Speed Bonus per Creep: 3%
Move Speed Bonus per Hero: 9%
Speed Duration: 7
- Summoned unit bonus damage is dealt before the base and bonus damage.
- Summoned units damage is only taken by units which were created by an ability.
- The bonus damage counts creep-heroes and illusions as creeps.
- The initial part of the spell's sound effect plays during the cast animation and is audible to everyone.
- The buff from multiple casts of Overwhelming Odds does not stack, but gets refreshed instead.
- The speed bonus gets updated on each cast based on how many targets were hit.
|Press the Attack|
|Removes debuffs and disables from the target friendly unit, and grants bonus attack speed and health regen for a short time.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Cast Range: 800
Health Regen Bonus: 30/40/50/60
Attack Speed Bonus: 60/80/100/120
|Moment of Courage|
|When attacked, Legion Commander has a chance to immediately counterattack with bonus lifesteal.|
|Proc Chance: 25%|
- Only procs when a unit starts an attack against Legion Commander, regardless of distance.
- This means canceled or missed attacks can proc it as well.
- Upon proccing, Legion Commander receives a buff, which grants her 1000 attack speed.
- This buff lasts for 1 second, or until she lands an attack, whichever is shorter. Missed attacks do not count.
- If the ability procs while Tresdin is already attacking, she performs an instant attack on the current attack target.
- This instant attack does not interfere with the ongoing attack and uses no animation.
- The instant attack can proc any attack modifier or any on-hit effect like a regular attack.
- This means the instant attack also uses up the 1000 attack speed buff immediately.
- If Legion Commander is blinded, the instant attack can miss, unless she has True Strike. It can also miss to evasion.
- Cannot lifesteal off of wards, buildings and allied units.
- Moment of Courage uses pseudo-random distribution.
|Legion Commander and the target enemy hero are forced to attack each other for a short duration. Neither hero can use items nor abilities. If either hero dies during the duration, the hero winning the Duel gains permanent bonus damage.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Cast Range: 150
Winner Attack Damage Bonus: 10/14/18
Duel Duration: 4/4.75/5.5 ( 6/7/8)
- Duel ends immediately when the distance between the duelists gets greater than 2000 at any point during it.
- The loser of the duel is the hero that dies while under the buff. There is no victor if both heroes are alive at the end of the duration.
- The dueling units do not have to do the last hit to win the Duel. Allies and enemies may interfere.
- It does not matter how a duelist dies during the Duel, be it to enemies, allies or neutrals, the victor always gets the damage.
- Casting Force Staff or Geomagnetic Grip on a dueling unit has no effect, wasting the mana and cooldown.
- Savage Roar also has no effect on dueling units at all, not applying the debuff on them.
- When a dueling unit is defeated and has Aegis of the Immortal or Reincarnation, the victor still gets the bonus damage.
- When Legion Commander dies to the shatter of Ice Blast, the dueled enemy does not get bonus damage.
- However, the Duel target dies to the shatter instead, Legion Commander does get the damage.
- When casting Assimilate or Aghanim's Scepter upgraded Supernova on a duelling unit, the duel instantly ends with no victor.
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
- Starting with a Stout Shield is generally a good idea if offlaning or jungling, as the decreased damage from attacks will help her stay alive, and help withstand harass from enemies in the offlane.
- Tangoes and Clarity potions are always invaluable regeneration, but do not need to be bought if in the mid-lane, as a Bottle will suffice.
- Legion Commander is a semi-competent jungler thanks to the attack speed/health regen of Press the Attack and the massive lifesteal from Moment of Courage. Start a Stout Shield, Tangoes and a Quelling Blade, if you wish to jungle.
- An early Ring of Basilius can be important for the armor and mana regen, as well as the little extra early attack damage it gives.
- A Magic Stick will help with Legion's early mana problems in lane, but is unnecessary in the jungle. It can always be upgraded into a Magic Wand if necessary.
- Power Treads are essential on Legion Commander, because of the health and attack speed.
- Armlet of Mordiggian is an excellent option on Legion Commander because it gives health, attack damage and attack speed; quite literally every stat Tresdin could want. The health loss is also greatly mitigated by the lifesteal from Moment of Courage.
- An early Blink Dagger will allow Legion Commander to buff herself with Press the Attack, blink in and finally Duel someone without them knowing until it is too late. Thus, it serves as an excellent initiation tool.
- Desolator is a good item to consider as the armor reduction will help kill enemies in Duel faster, and is all-around helpful for your other allied carries.
- Black King Bar is useful to buy if you don't want to be interrupted during Duel. Just make sure to activate it BEFORE you cast Duel! If you don't, you cannot use it during the duel and make yourself to be open for stuns and nukes.
- Mjollnir is an excellent item to consider if you want attack speed and damage. Remember to activate the active before you Duel for extra damage when they attack you.
- Assault Cuirass is always beneficial as it gives your team armor, takes away the enemy team's armor, and gives very good attack speed that can be used to win Duels later in the game.
- Abyssal Blade increases her survivability giving bonus HP, HP regeneration and blocking 40 damage from incoming attacks. The bash chance is very powerful on her, since it can proc on the hits guaranteed by Moment of Courage. Avoid getting this early as it is very expensive and you should be focusing on getting more attack speed, and using the attack damage from already won Duels to win more Duels.
- Satanic is a good option if you really need more lifesteal and strength. However, most of the time Moment of Courage will give you enough survivability.
- Heaven's Halberd increases your survivability by giving you strength and evasion. Use the active ability to the target you want to duel to let you have more chance to win the duel.
- Aghanim's Scepter is a good rushed item situationally. It gives you excellent stats and makes you very tanky for the uninterruptible Duel that it also gives. The stats, combined with Moment of Courage allows you to almost always win any Duel against most Heroes in the early and midgame. Changed functionality as of patch 6.82.
Counters[edit | edit source]
- Omniknight can keep Tresdin away and heal himself or the intended target with Purification. He can also render Tresdin useless during a duel thanks to Guardian Angel
- Vengeful Spirit can reduce Tresdin's armor with Wave of Terror, decreasing her survivability during a duel. Should Tresdin not choose Vengeful Spirit as the target for a duel, Vengeful Spirit can stun Tresdin with Magic Missile, increase the allied hero's attack with Vengeance Aura or delay the duel further with Nether Swap
- Winter Wyvern can heal Tresdin's targets with Cold Embrace and render her duel meaningless. Additionally, Winter's Curse can turn intruding allies of Tresdin into enemies that attack her.
- Bane is a very dangerous opponent as he can completely shut down a Duel with Nightmare, which will be continuously passed back and forth between Legion Commander and her opponent. Alternatively, he can use Fiend's Grip to set up an easy kill, or Enfeeble to cripple Legion Commander's damage output.
- Oracle can delay a Duel target's death using False Promise, preventing Legion Commander from receiving the bonus damage. His Fortune's End can remove the buffs from Press the Attack and Overwhelming Odds while preventing movement, and Fate's Edict can disarm Legion Commander, greatly hampering her in combat.
- Dazzle's Shallow Grave will prevent a Duel target from dying for its duration, which prevents Legion Commander from racking up bonus damage with Duel. Combined with Weave's armor buff/debuff and the heal and damage from Shadow Wave, he can easily turn the tables on Legion Commander if she attempts to engage.
- Heaven's Halberd's ability to disable the target, and keep them from attacking can reduce Tresdin's ability to duel, as even Moment of Courage cannot be used during the duration.
- A single Linken's Sphere can essentially negate the ability to duel the target entirely as it's cooldown time is shorter than that of Duel's, and Legion Commander must be forced to either pair up with an ally or grab an item to remove the Linken's Sphere's spell block first.
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- When using Duel, be sure to cast it on an enemy Hero who is relatively weaker than you, or has a fairly low amount of health remaining in order to ensure that the bonus attack damage will be given to you.
- Legion Commander works well with gankers, especially Bloodseeker, who is able to detect low-health Heroes in the map.
- If teamed up with Pudge try to keep close with him. Pudge can make enemy heroes come to you, when enemies know full well not to get caught in your ultimate. Let him do his combos first to soften up the caught foe, before casting Duel to ensure a kill. You'll both benefit this way, Pudge gets his bonus strength and you get the bonus attack damage.
- Even if an ally dealt the killing blow on the Hero that you are dueling, the attack damage is still applied to Legion Commander.
- Always go with your team. Although Legion Commander is a carry, she is better off with her team, ganking and getting kills through Duel rather than farming too much.
- Always try to get into fights, just be mindful and select the fights you know you can win. During early to mid-game, try targeting the softer casters or supports e.g. heroes like Crystal Maiden and Shadow Shaman. This way if you were to lose a Duel and they gain the bonus attack damage, it won't affect your team in the late-game as these heroes rely more on their spells than their attacks.
- Any items that can give Legion Commander both health and attack speed is a good pick for her, as she needs the health to be tanky in a Duel, and the attack speed to finish off the enemy before Duel expires. Her attack damage increases through kills from Duel, so items that only give attack damage aren't best bought first.
- Armor reducing items are particularly good on Legion Commander once you have won a few Duels because she gets attack speed from Press the Attack and attack damage from winning Duels.
- Before casting Duel on someone, try casting Press the Attack first to give you needed bonus attack speed.
- Due to the double edged nature of Duel, attempting to use it liberally on targets in teamfights can sometimes give bad results for you and your team, and initiating with it is not always the best choice as duels should ideally not last long in order to avoid being stunned and denied of your success. For this reason, she is best treated as a simple hard ganker in the early portions of the game until she has obtained enough duel victories to reach her carry status, and works best in co-ordinated teams that can effectively soften up the target you wish to engage, and most importantly keep them in place for a good while to prevent from getting out of range.
- Items like Skull Basher, Daedalus, Monkey King Bar or even Sange and Yasha help you defeat your Duel targets, and ensure that your damage will be boosted. However, other items like Blink Dagger, Black King Bar, Silver Edge and Blade Mail will help you fight better inside your ultimate for a lower price and set up good positioning, whether dueling or not. Farm these items first as they will help you scale better into late game, when more expensive items can be purchased.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The transition of content from DotA to Dota 2 involved a change in gender for Legion Commander, despite the character and ability names remaining unchanged. She still makes references to her old characterization in a collection of lines when engaging certain heroes:
- When engaging heroes with mounts, she will often express her jealousy or interest for them (Play "I like your mount."). Her hero model in DotA rode a mount.
- She also comments on facial hair when dueling or killing certain heroes (Play "Nice mustache."). Her DotA hero model had a mustache.
- In DotA, her counterpart often expressed his distrust for anything which was not human. This is heavily expanded in Dota 2, where Legion Commander will instead express her distrust for numerous roles or states of being, instead of a single racial entity, in a bulk of her rival hero taunts.
- Tresdin's response, Play "War. War always changes." is a reference to the signature Fallout quote, "War. War never changes."
- Her response, Play "You won't win the war by dying for your Ancient. You'll win by making the other dumb, unfed bastard die for theirs!" is a reference to the popular George S. Patton quote: "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
- The horn sound effect when deploying Play Press the Attack utilizes the same Play sound the Concheror item uses in Team Fortress 2, another title from Valve.
- Her voice actress, Merle Dandridge, is also well known for providing the voice of Alyx Vance, a character in the game Half Life 2, another title by Valve.
- When dueling Zeus, There is a chance of Legion Commander yelling Thunderdome! Play which a reference to the Thunderdome of Mad Max Beyond Thunderome!