Kunkka the Admiral is a versatile melee Strength hero built with an arsenal of powerful area-of-effect spells. Two of his active spells are nukes that have long reaction times, but can disable and disrupt the enemies' position. He is mostly played as a carry or an initiator or even a spell nuker. He is known for his Tidebringer sword, which magically gives him the ability to cleave a large area around him on his attack with heavy potential damage on his next attack, which refreshes at a given period of time. Torrent calls upon the element of water to rise and burst out, dealing damage, disabling them up high, and slowing them on impact. There's a delay on this ability before it activates, so Kunkka must be wise in using this ability. X Marks the Spot targets any hero or Admiral himself to be marked on their current position, and after a few seconds delay, instantly returns to the marked spot. Useful in setting up tricky spells, escape prevention, or even saving allies, X Marks the Spot makes the Admiral a great battle strategist. His ultimate lets him summon a Ghost Ship, which travels on ground, until it crashes a set distance away, stunning and damaging enemy armies on that location. The Ghost Ship also bolsters allies with Kunkka's Rum, granting them bonus movement speed and numbness to damage. Ghost Ship is difficult to land, due to the fixed distance of its cast point and the crash site of the ship. However, a good Ghost Ship absolutely cripples an enemy team. Capable of inflicting high burst damage with his spells, controlling their position while able to survive the mayhem when his spells are used properly, Kunkka is a mighty offensive team fighter, built with strong physical and magical damage output, who can indeed turn the tide of a battle.
- Kunkka's abilities work best when the enemy team is clumped together. Time your ability usage accordingly.
- Try to get raw damage to maximize your Tidebringer damage.
- X Marks the Spot works well with Torrent. Leaving X Marks the Spot at level 2 allows you to cast X Marks the Spot, then immediately cast Torrent in the same spot, since they both have similar delays.
- Try laning with heroes with an easy-to-land stun. Their disables will ensure that Torrent does not miss its mark.
- X Marks the Spot does not have a maximum distance. It can be used to bring teleporting heroes back to their original spot.
- X Marks the Spot lasts twice as long on allies. Use it to dash in, deal some damage, then escape before the enemy can retaliate.
- Ghost Ship will always appear a specific distance behind Kunkka and end a specific distance from Kunkka. The distance at which the boat appears and hits can be seen by mousing over the ability and noting the radius circle.
- Shadow Blade and Daedalus can work together with Tidebringer to produce massive surprise damage to the enemy team.
- Kunkka was named in honour of the artist who made numerous pieces of loading screen art for DotA and Dota 2.
- Kunkka's official alternate/fun names were "Daelin Proudmoore", "CoCo", and "Captain Obvious". Daelin Proudmoore was a campaign boss in Warcraft III: Frozen Throne; his hero model is borrowed by Kunkka in DotA.
- In his DotA biography, it is stated that some people called him "Jack Sparrow," but it was never seen as his name in-game. Jack Sparrow is the name of the main character in the Pirates of the Carribean movie franchise.
- His rival hero taunts against Slardar, Death Prophet, and Doom, and his allied lines for Windranger and Ancient Apparition, all come from Samuel Taylor Coleridge's poem, "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner".
- Fixed Torrent not dealing its damage over multiple instances.
- Fixed some FoW interactions with Kunkka's ability SFX.
- Fixed some ability Backswing timing issues ( Kunkka, Clockwerk, Timbersaw, Meepo, Pudge, Spirit Breaker, Sand King, Riki, Nyx Assassin, Lion, Pugna, Shadow Demon, Batrider).
- Updated vision values on these abilities: Unstable Concoction, Phantasm, Waveform, Storm Hammer, Mirror Image, Spirit Lance, Requiem of Souls, Spectral Dagger, Venomous Gale, Earthbind, Dream Coil, Shackleshot, Wall of Replica, Flamebreak, Deafening Blast, Ghost Ship.
- Fixed Ghost Ship allied debuff dealing all the damage immediately when then rum wears off, rather than over the following 8 seconds.
- Fixed the following spells being castable on magic immune allies: Nightmare, Frost Armor, Nature's Guise, Holy Persuasion, Decrepify, Astral Imprisonment, Shadow Word and X Marks the Spot.
- Fixed X Marks the Spot being purged by Tornado/Diffusal.
- Fixed Tidebringer working against wards.
- Fixed X Marks the Spot teleporting you back if you buyback while the spell is still active.
- Added missing Flail and Stun animations for Kunkka.
- Fixed Torrent slow not lasting as long as it should.
- Fixed X Marks the Spot ignoring Linken's Sphere
- Fixed X Marks the Spot vision revealer not working.
- Fixed Ghost Ship not having vision.
- Fixed Ghost Ship's allied buff not reducing spell damage.
- Enabled Kunkka and Bloodseeker.
- Fixed Kunkka not playing Tidebringer's animation/effects correctly.
- Damage from Tidebringer should show up in the UI now.
- Fixed Kunkka's Return to have a cast time.
- Disabled Blink Dagger for Vengeful Spirit and Pudge. Disabled Quelling Blade for Kunkka.
- Fixed Tidebringer sound playing on denies.
- Fixed Kunkka's Ghost Ship not actually making the ship if cast near the edge of the world and into the world.
- Added more info to tooltips of Drow Ranger's Silence, Death Prophet's Silence, and Kunkka's Ghost Ship.
- Fixed Kunkka's Ghost Ship's path to correctly be centered.
- Fixed Torrent not giving vision over the area it hits.
- Hooked up Kunkka's new X Marks the Spot sound.
- Fixed cases where creating a linear projectile directly on yourself would cause it to get stuck. This includes fixes to Fissure, Ghost Ship, Dragon Slave, Sacred Arrow, Impale, Waveform, Illusory Orb, Meat Hook, Burrowstrike, Wave of Terror, and Powershot.
- Fixed Tidebringer on towers.
- Fixed X Marks the Spot disappearing if the target went into FoW.
- Made Tidebringer's active effect more majestic.
- Added constant ambient glow to Kunkka's Tidebringer Sword.
- Torrent area of effect increased from 215 to 225.
- X Marks The Spot can now last twice as long on allied heroes.
- Ghost Ship allied buff duration increased from 8 to 10.
- Added Ghost Ship AOE indicator for allies.
- X Marks the Spot cooldown reduced from 16 to 13.
- Ghost Ship damage increased from 350/450/550 to 400/500/600.
- Ghost Ship damage increased from 300/400/500 to 350/450/550.
- X Marks the Spot manacost decreased from 80/90/100/110 to 80.
- X Marks the Spot vision from 1000 flying to 400 ground vision.
- Tidebringer level 4 AoE increased from 500 to 600.
- Base strength increased from 21 to 24.
- Ghost Ship
- Cooldown decreased from 90/80/70 to 60/50/40.
- Impact AoE increased from 400 to 425.
- Torrent AoE increased from 200 to 215.
- X Marks the Spot cooldown decreased from 20 to 16 seconds.
- Ghost Ship stun duration increased from 1.2 to 1.4.
- Strength growth increased from 2.7 to 3.0.
- Torrent slow increased from 30% to 35%.
- Tidebringer cleave AoE improved from 380/420/460/500 to 500.
- X Marks the Spot cooldown decreased from 30 to 20 seconds.
- Ghost Ship's Kunkka's Rum duration increased from 5/6/7 to 8.
- Base Intelligence increased from 16 to 18.
- Ghost Ship cooldown rescaled from 90 to 90/80/70.
- Undid melee hero collision change from 6.72c
- Melee hero collision size now reduced from 24 to 12.
- Tidebringer cooldown rescaled from 16/12/8/4 to 13/10/7/4.
- Ghost Ship stun increased from 1 to 1.2 seconds.
- Ghost Ship cooldown reduced from 100 to 90.
- Added an ally only visual effect where Ghost Ship will land.
- Lowered Agility (18->14) and Agility Per Level (1.7->1.3).
- Reduced Captain CoCo's Rum movement bonus (30%->10%).
- Ghost Ship cooldown increased from 100/80/60 to a constant 100.
- Lowered Admiral Proudmoore's base Intelligence and intelligence gain.
- Decreased X Marks the Spot duration.
- Added manacost to manual return ability of X Marks the Spot.
- Increased Ghost Ship's manacost.
- Lowered Admiral Proudmoore's starting Strength.
- Slightly reduced slow duration and increased manacost on Torrent.
- Tweaked the scaling of Tidebringer's AOE.
- X Marks the Spot no longer recalls the target if he becomes magic immune.