Items are objects sold by shops or dropped from Roshan that provide an ability, bonus, or other function not tied to a particular hero (exception: the hero's Ultimate upgrade provided by Aghanim's Scepter). They come in a multitude of forms and types.
Most items take up space in a Hero's Inventory, meaning only a finite number can be carried at one time. Recipe items will automatically remove their components from a Hero's Inventory and Stash when they are assembled. Because of this, strategy and thought is required in the order and selection of items to purchase.
Most Heroes can use most items, but some items will provide no effect or cannot be purchased by some Heroes. For example, most heroes with a bash ability cannot purchase Skull Basher.
Heroes generally cannot use items purchased by other heroes, with a handful of exceptions. See Item Sharing.
Some items can be disassembled. See Disassemble.
Most items may be sold back to vendors for 100% refund within 10 seconds after purchasing or until the item's active ability (if it has one) was used the first time, but beyond this window items may be sold back for only 50% of its price tag. Some items cannot be sold, for example, Gem of True Sight, Black King Bar and for some Heros Aghanim's Scepter.
Consumables are items with a limited amount of uses. After all of the charges have been used, they are removed from your inventory or must be refilled. It is possible to use consumables on your allies, however only the original buyer may sell the items.
The Secret Shops are slightly hidden shops located near the center of the map. The shops allow players to buy items that can't be bought elsewhere or to spend extra gold while in the early game.
Secret Shop Upgrade Items
In addition to the items available above, three items can be completed solely with items from the Secret Shop:
Side Lane Shop
The Side Lane Shop is an extra shop located on the Radiant side of the Bottom Lane and the Dire side of the Top Lane, near the River. The Side Lane Shop sells certain items away from base, allowing Heroes to continue laning for longer before returning to base.
Side Lane Shop Upgrade Items
In addition to the items available above, seven items can be completed solely with items from the Side Lane Shop:
Notably, Tranquil Boots cannot be completed at the Side Lane Shop since they require a Ring of Protection.
Drop Only items are items that cannot be bought from any shop in the game and must be picked up. These are usually accompanied by a set of conditions that must be met before dropping.
These items are only available during limited time events:
New Bloom Festival
- You can buy and sell items from the shop located at enemy fountain, along with accessing one's stash.
- There are 47 basic, 12 secret shop items and 70 items that can be assembled by combining basic and/or secret shop items which makes a sum of 129 unique items(excluding Roshan drop and seasonal items).
- You can destroy dropped items in the same fashion as denying, including Aegis of the Immortal and Cheese. Items of allies can not be destroyed, unless it is a sharable item. Denying enemy items can be useful, although a chance to do so is rare.
- You can now purchase items in your base without a courier (they drop to the floor)
- Reduced cooldown on buying all other items
- Increased range on shop buying
- Sent and Scourge shops no longer turn vulnerable after some structures die
- Decreased cooldown on buying items (most from 5->2 seconds)