The item drop system is a feature that allows players to obtain cosmetic items for free through playing the game. Available drops are defined by the Drop List.
- After every matchmaking game, each player has a small chance to receive an item or set.
- Longer games will yield a higher chance to receive an item.
- Winning, losing, or individual performance has no effect on item drop chance.
- Certain events award players with cosmetic items for participating.
Spectating a Tournament game
- While spectating a tournament game with over 500 viewers, one or more Heroic items are randomly given out to viewers each time a memorable event occurs.
- Only certain types of items can be obtained through drops.
- Not every item in these categories can drop.
- Possible drops are determined by the Drop List.
- Players who abandon the game will not receivedrops.
- Players in Low Priority queue will not receive drops.
- A Steam account that is locked, suspended, or VAC banned will not receive drops.
The Rarity of items that can drop is dependent on the player's Profile Level. This system was implemented to reduce item farming by bots.
|| Some of these items contain custom animations for the Heroes that wear them.
|| These items often contain custom animations and spell effects for the Heroes that wear them.
|| These items are incredibly rare objects, often replacing entire couriers and hero mounts with new models and effects.
|| These items are the rarest of all, capable of adding new models, sounds, spell effects, and HUD icons for a Hero.
- Dota 2's item drop system inspired by the drop system from Team Fortress 2, but does not function entirely in the same way.
- Upon receiving an item, respective visual and sound effects and hero voice responses will play depending on the rarity of the item.