18 + 1.8
24 + 2.8
23 + 2.1
Aurel the Gyrocopter is a ranged agility Hero, capable of outputting a lot of single target and area of effect damage at a multitude of ranges. Early game Gyrocopter is a strong ganker, with Rocket Barrage able to output a lot of damage in a short amount of time if he and his target are alone. His second ability, Homing Missile, is a long range projectile that forces opponents to either stop and engage to take out the missile, or run to a safe location before being stunned. Thanks to his third ability, Flak Cannon, he is also an excellent pusher, and with it can farm up big items in the midgame as his spells start to fall off in damage. Flak Cannon also allows him to hit everyone in a teamfight with his autoattack, and with enough damage items he can inflict a lot of damage to the entire enemy team. Call Down is a useful ultimate with a low cooldown, and with an Aghanim's Scepter Gyrocopter can become a global presence, able to push or gank from anywhere on the map. With the right items, he can also transition into a carry role.
| Aurel, the Gyrocopter
| Play "So much for being retired..."
|| Disabler / Initiator / Nuker
|| After serving through a lifetime of wars, upheaval, riots, and revolutions, the brass figured Aurel had seen enough. But in addition to a few trinkets and his considerable pension, the erstwhile engineer left with something far more interesting: a long-forgotten, incomplete schematic for a Gyrocopter, the world’s first manned, non-magical flying device. Retiring to the tropical obscurity of the Ash Archipelago with little else but time and money, he set to work building the device. As the years wore on and the remains of failed prototypes began to pile up, he began to wonder if mechanical flight was even possible. A decade and a day after his retirement, on a sunny afternoon with a southerly breeze, Aurel sat in his latest attempt bristling with indignation and expectant failure. With a grunt of effort he pulled the ignition cord and covered his head, waiting for the inevitable explosion. However to his great surprise he began to lift and, following a few panicked adjustments, stabilize. Within an hour, he was ducking and weaving with the breeze, level with the gulls, and Aurel found himself filled with the breathless wonder of flight. As dusk settled in he set a course back to his workshop, but no sooner had he turned his craft when a cannonball tore through his tailfin. Disentangling himself from the wreckage, he swam toward the nearest piece of land in sight, and cursed to see the ship responsible for the cannonball collecting the debris. Days later, when Aurel returned to his workshop, he set to work on yet another gyrocopter, this one capable of carrying a much heavier, more dangerous payload.
|| Nolan North (Responses)
| Homing Missile
| Hit Points
| Collision size
- The flak projectiles travel at a speed of 800, while Gyrocopter's own projectile speed stays at 3000.
- The flaks are released at the same time as his attack projectile is released. Means when an attack misses, the flaks are still released.
- It does not matter how much damage the initial target from the attack takes, the flaks will always deal damage based on Gyrocopter's base damage + bonus damage.
- This means that the armor of the initial attack target does not influence the flaks' damage at all. It also means that damage from attack modifiers like crits do not affect it either.
- So the only way to make the flaks deal more damage is to increase Gyrocopter's base damage via stats, give him a raw damage bonus, or reduce the armor of the flak targets.
- Other effects of attack modifiers like bash or lifesteal is only applied to the attack target.
- However, attacking couriers, wards or buildings will still cause flaks to hit all valid targets within the range.
- The number of attacks left is visible (to everyone) on the buff icon.
- The first missile impacts 2 seconds and the second missile 4 seconds after cast.
- Provides 300 radius flying vision at the targeted area for 4 seconds since cast.
- The visual areal indicator is visible to allies only, but the sound effects are audible and the missiles visible to everyone.
- Shadow Blade is a useful chasing, positioning and initiation tool which also offers a good core of damage and attack speed for the carry or semi-carry role Gyrocopter will likely want to build into. The short ranges on his autoattack and Rocket Barrage mean that maintaining a good position in fights is vital for Gyrocopter, and given his fragility and lack of movement abilities, Shadow Blade is one of the most efficient ways to do this. In certain situations, it may also help you escape, although be careful not to rely on this too much against enemies who are canny enough to carry stealth detection items.
- Aghanim's Scepter is a good pickup if you want to focus on split-lane pushing or counterpushing. The Scepter becomes most useful against heroes like Nature's Prophet and Tinker who can move all around the map and pressure your team from all lanes. With the global cast range of Calldown, Gyro will gain the power to suppress enemy pushes from across the map by clearing creep waves.
- Helm of the Dominator allows you to regenerate missing HP by farming the lane or the jungle, but it shines when used to stack the Ancient camp, which can be cleared rapidly with enough damage and points in Flak Cannon. Later on, if you are your team's main carry, it can be built into Satanic to allow you to stay in teamfights for much longer.
- Black King Bar should almost always be picked up, as Gyrocopter's low HP and lack of escapes make him extremely vulnerable to nukes and disables, especially when using Rocket Barrage.
- Monkey King Bar will grant vast amounts of damage and synergises amazingly with Flak Cannon, granting a huge damage boost against any enemies caught in its effective range. Bear in mind that Mini-Bash only works on your primary target.
- Rocket Barrage is incredibly powerful against a single enemy, but its damage falls off dramatically if there are multiple targets. Position yourself to make the best use of it.
- Homing Missile is a great harassment tool. Place it behind your allies to prevent the enemy from destroying it before it starts moving.
- Flak Cannon allows you to harass enemy heroes from a great distance, or force them away from the creeps. An early point should be considered if you are taking the solo mid-lane. However, it does push the lane and may open yourself to ganks.
- Using Flak Cannon early (before you use the attacks) will lessen the cooldown on your next cast.
- For maximum effect, cast Call Down in conjunction with your Homing Missile's impact or an allied disable.
- Gyrocopter makes for a viable Divine Rapier carrier due to Flak Cannon's ability to hit all enemies in 1000 range with your current total Attack Damage. Extreme caution is advised when holding this item due to your poor HP pool, but with good judgement and teamwork, it can allow you to devastate the enemy team. It should only be purchased when the game has gone on for a long time and is balanced on a knife edge, or the game is looking extremely bad for your team.
- Aurel Vlaicu was a Romanian pioneer of early flight.
- Gyrocopter's response upon meeting Viper Play "Holy shit, it's Viper!" is a reference to a scene of the movie Top Gun.
- Gyrocopter's helmet is similar to Gaetan "The Mole" Moliere's headgear from Atlantis: The Lost Empire.
February 12, 2015 Patch
- [Undocumented] Call Down cast Play sound is now global for the player.
December 17, 2014 Patch
- [Undocumented] Updated Call Down's visual effects
- Update 2
- Fixed Call Down's 2nd slow not slowing by the right amount if the target wasn't hit by the first Missile
November 21, 2013 Patch
July 18, 2013 Patch
July 12, 2013 Patch
June 28, 2013 Patch
- Fixed a minor issue with Rocket Barrage doing 31 rockets instead of 30.
- Fixed Call Down 50% slow happening on second impact if you were already slowed by the first (instead of 20%).
- Fixed Flak Cannon hitting Familiars.
March 14, 2013 Patch
March 07, 2013 Patch
February 07, 2013 Patch
- Fixed Call Down first and second impact slow values being swapped.
January 31, 2013 Patch
- Fixed Call Down not slowing magic immune units.
November 08, 2012 Patch
September 13, 2012 Patch
June 28, 2012 Patch
- Reduced Gyro's model scale a little.
June 20, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Homing Missile not giving any bounty.
June 14, 2012 Patch
- Added Chaos Knight, Phantom Assassin and Gyrocopter to Captain's Mode
- Fixed Flak Cannon not attacking magic immune units.
- Fixed Rocket Barrage not hitting Roshan.
- Fixed Homing Missile portrait name.
- Fixed Flak Cannon not hitting ancients.
- Fixed Homing Missile ignoring Linken's Sphere.
- Fixed Call Down not providing vision over its area.
- Fixed Homing Missile not keeping vision around the area when it impacts a unit.
- Fixed Rocket Barrage not hurting mechanical units.
- Fixed Flak Cannon not hurting Mechanical units.
- Fixed Flak Cannon having cast time.
- Fixed creeps hurting Homing Missile.
June 11, 2012 Patch
January 26, 2012 Patch
- Fixed players being able to play as Gyrocopter, Bane, Lanaya and Phantom Assassin.
- Call Down
- Increased radius from 450 to 600.
- Reduced first rocket's movement speed slow from 50% to 30%.
- Increased second rocket's movement speed slow from 20% to 60%.
- Homing Missile rocket can now be targeted by Force Staff.
- Increased Homing Missile maximum damage from 110/220/330/440 to 125/250/375/500.
- Increased Rocket Barrage damage per rocket from 11/14/17/20 to 11/15/19/23.
- Homing Missile
- Reduced distance required to reach maximum damage from 2000 to 1500.
- Rescaled stun duration from 2.5 on each level to 2.2/2.4/2.6/2.8.
- Increased Homing Missile maximum damage from 100/200/300/400 to 110/220/330/440.
- Increased Rocket Barrage damage per rocket from 10/13/16/19 to 11/14/17/20.
- Increased base armor from -1 to 1 (total armor is now 4.36).
- Increased agility gain from 2.4 to 2.8.
- Rescaled Rocket Barrage cooldown from 6.5 to 7/6.5/6/5.5.
- Added Aghanim's Scepter upgrade for Gyrocopter: Increases cast range from 1000 to global and increases the second rocket's damage from 100/150/200 to 175/225/275.
- Increased Rocket Barrage damage per rocket from 10/12/14/16 to 10/13/16/19.
- Homing Missile
- Added a visual indicator over the target's head (visible to allies only).
- Increased cast range from 900 to 1050.
- Reduced cooldown frm 20/18/16/14 to 20/17/14/11.
- ↑ , Top Gun scene Gyrocopter is refering to.