Aurel the Gyrocopter is a ranged agility Hero, capable of outputting a lot of single target and area of effect damage at a multitude of ranges. Early game Gyrocopter is a strong ganker, with Rocket Barrage able to output a lot of damage in a short amount of time if he and his target are alone. His second ability, Homing Missile, is a long range projectile that forces opponents to either stop and engage to take out the missile, or run to a safe location before being stunned. Thanks to his third ability, Flak Cannon, he is also an excellent pusher, and with it can farm up big items in the midgame as his spells start to fall off in damage. Flak Cannon also allows him to hit everyone in a teamfight with his autoattack, and with enough damage items he can inflict a lot of damage to the entire enemy team. Call Down is a useful ultimate with a low cooldown, providing a large area slow and nuke making it great for team fights. With the right items, he can also transition into a carry role.
Bio[edit | edit source]
Abilities[edit | edit source]
- Despite the visual effects, the damage is dealt instantly, rather than on each rocket's impact.
- Gyrocopter can act freely during Rocket Barrage.
- Does not fire rockets while Gyrocopter is hidden.
- Deals damage in 0.1 second intervals, resulting in 30 damage instances.
- Can deal a total of 210/360/510/660 damage (before reductions), assuming all rockets hit.
- Homing Missile's initial speed is 340 and increases by 20 per second.
- Only attacks from heroes, illusions (counting as heroes), towers and the fountains (counting as towers) can damage the missile.
- Though the damage is capped, the missile's speed keeps on increasing until it hits the target or is destroyed.
- The missile is placed 150 range in front of Gyrocopter and starts moving 3 seconds after cast.
- The crosshair over the target is visible to allies only.
- When the missile hits its target, its 400 range flying vision stays at the location for 3.5 seconds.
- The missile's damage is based on the distance between the rocket's starting position (150 range in front of Gyrocopter upon cast).
- To deal more than the minimum damage, the missile has to hit its target at least 601/301/201/151 range away from its starting position.
- This is how much damage the Homing Missile deals (before reductions) at certain distances:
- 300 Distance: 50/50/75/100 damage
- 600 Distance: 50/100/150/200 damage
- 900 Distance: 75/150/225/300 damage
- 1200 Distance: 100/200/300/400 damage
- 1500 Distance: 125/250/375/500 damage
- The damage is capped at 1500 distance.
- The missile can be targeted by Force Staff and Hurricane Pike, pushing the rocket forwards (or back).
- When the missile gets affected by Chronosphere it gets instantly destroyed.
- Flak Cannon interrupts Gyrocopter's channeling spells upon cast.
- Causes Gyrocopter to perform instant attacks on all nearby enemies whenever he launches an attack projectile.
- This means all projectiles are released at the same time together with the main attack.
- Therefore, it does not matter whether the primary attack misses or not, the flaks are still released.
- The flaks have no count limit. All valid nearby targets get attacked.
- The primary attack target is not affected by Flak Cannon. It is only hit by the primary attack.
- The projectiles from the instant attacks travel at a speed of 800, and can be disjointed like regular attacks.
- Unlike most other instant attacks, the ones from Flak Cannon may not proc any attack modifiers or on-hit effects.
- However, attacking couriers, wards or buildings still causes flaks to hit all valid targets within the range.
- The number of attacks left is visible (to everyone) on the buff icon.
The Side Gunner can attack spell immune enemies.
- The first missile impacts 2 seconds and the second missile 4 seconds after cast.
- Provides 300 radius flying vision at the targeted area for 4 seconds after cast.
- Can deal a total of 300/425/550 damage (before reductions), assuming both missiles hit.
- The visual areal indicator is visible to allies only, but the sound effects are audible and the missiles visible to everyone.
- The Side Gunner granted by Aghanim's Scepter is not bound to any of Gyrocopter's spells.
- The Side Gunner performs an instant attack in the set interval. Its target is chosen completely randomly.
- Since it uses instant attacks, it neither interferes with the regular attacks, nor does it use animations. It also ignores disarms.
- It also does not interfere with any other actions of Gyrocopter. It still attacks while e.g. stunned or while channeling.
- Unlike Flak Cannon, the Side Gunner can proc any attack modifier or any on-hit effect like a regular attack.
- If Gyrocopter is blinded, the gunner can miss, unless he has True Strike. It can also miss to evasion.
- The Side Gunner uses the same 3000 projectile speed as Gyrocopter's attack.
- The Side Gunner does not attack when Gyrocopter is hidden, invisible or affected by Break.
- However, the gunner ignores fade times and fade delays of spells. It only does not attack when fully invisible.
- The Side Gunner does not attack wards and couriers, but does attack buildings. Only attacks units Gyrocopter has vision over.
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
- Tango keeps Gyrocopter in lane.
- Healing Salve keeps Gyrocopter alive.
- Iron Branch gives a few extra stats.
- Faerie Fire helps with last hits.
- Slippers of Agility gives a decent agility boost.
- Boots of Speed is required on all heroes.
- Magic Stick can save Gyrocopter in a pinch.
- Wraith Band gives good early stats.
- Bracer can be turned into a Drum of Endurance later on.
- Town Portal Scroll can save Gyrocopter or help him assist another lane.
- Phase Boots give extra damage for Flak Cannon and makes it as an escape mechanism or chasing heroes to get a kill.
- Helm of the Dominator gives Gyrocopter lifesteal, making him much tougher to kill. It also helps him farm easier.
- Black King Bar is usually needed to make full use of Flak Cannon without being interrupted.
- Dragon Lance greatly improves Gyrocopter's short attack range.
- Monkey King Bar multiplies well with Flak Cannon, increasing Gyrocopter's damage significantly.
- Shadow Blade can be purchased for ganking or escape purposes.
- Aghanim's Scepter is a useful utility item when Gyrocopter is not the only carry his team depends on.
- Satanic will heal Gyrocopter almost instantly during late game with just a few shots from Flak Cannon.
- Sange and Yasha provides a good mix of tankiness and chasing ability.
- Boots of Travel helps Gyrocopter be present at every fight.
- Butterfly's evasion makes Gyrocopter significantly harder to take down, and allows him to go head to head against harder carries.
- Daedalus gives Gyrocopter very heavy damage.
- Manta Style is good for pushing, and disjointing projectiles.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Audio[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Aurel Vlaicu was a Romanian pioneer of early flight.
- Gyrocopter's response upon meeting Viper Play "Holy shit, it's Viper!" is a reference to a scene of the movie Top Gun.
- Gyrocopter's helmet is similar to Gaetan "The Mole" Moliere's headgear from Atlantis: The Lost Empire.
- Gyrocopter's death phrase "They came from behind" is a reference to the "Star Wars Episode 4" scene when the fighters are attempting to fire torpedoes into the exhaust port.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Model and icons before the November 21, 2013 Patch
References[edit | edit source]
- , Top Gun scene Gyrocopter is referring to.