Aurel the Gyrocopter is a ranged agility Hero, capable of outputting a lot of single target and area of effect damage at a multitude of ranges. Early game Gyrocopter is a strong ganker, with Rocket Barrage able to output a lot of damage in a short amount of time if he and his target are alone. His second ability, Homing Missile, is a long range projectile that forces opponents to either stop and engage to take out the missile, or run to a safe location before being stunned. Thanks to his third ability, Flak Cannon, he is also an excellent pusher, and with it can farm up big items in the midgame as his spells start to fall off in damage. Flak Cannon also allows him to hit everyone in a teamfight with his autoattack, and with enough damage items he can inflict a lot of damage to the entire enemy team. Call Down is a useful ultimate with a low cooldown, providing a large area slow and nuke making it great for team fights. With the right items, he can also transition into a carry role.
Bio[edit | edit source]
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Abilities[edit | edit source]
|Launches a salvo of rockets at nearby enemy units in a radius around the Gyrocopter. Lasts 3 seconds.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Search Radius: 400
Rockets per Second: 10
Damage per Rocket: 7/12/17/22
Barrage Duration: 3
- Despite the visual effects, the damage is dealt instantly, rather than on each rocket's impact.
- Gyrocopter can act freely during Rocket Barrage.
- Does not fire rockets while Gyrocopter is hidden.
- Deals damage in 0.1 second intervals, resulting in 30 damage instances.
- Can deal a total of 210/360/510/660 damage (before reductions), assuming all rockets hit.
|Fires a homing missile to seek the targeted enemy unit. The missile gains speed over time, dealing damage and stunning when it impacts the target. Homing Missile deals greater damage the further it has traveled. Enemy units can destroy the missile before it reaches its target.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Cast Range: 1050
Hero Attacks to Destroy: 3/3/4/5
Tower Attacks to Destroy: 6/6/8/10
Minimum Damage: 50
Maximum Damage: 125/250/375/500
Stun Duration: 2.2/2.4/2.6/2.8
- Homing Missile's initial speed is 340 and increases by 20 per second.
- Only attacks from heroes, illusions (counting as heroes), towers and the fountains (counting as towers) can damage the missile.
- Though the damage is capped, the missile's speed keeps on increasing until it hits the target or is destroyed.
- The missile is placed 150 range in front of Gyrocopter and starts moving 3 seconds after cast.
- The crosshair over the target is visible to allies only.
- When the missile hits its target, its 400 range flying vision stays at the location for 3.5 seconds.
- The missile's damage is based on the distance between the rocket's starting position (150 range in front of Gyrocopter upon cast).
- To deal more than the minimum damage, the missile has to hit its target at least 601/301/201/151 range away from its starting position.
- This is how much damage the Homing Missile deals (before reductions) at certain distances:
- 300 Distance: 50/50/75/100 damage
- 600 Distance: 50/100/150/200 damage
- 900 Distance: 75/150/225/300 damage
- 1200 Distance: 100/200/300/400 damage
- 1500 Distance: 125/250/375/500 damage
- The damage is capped at 1500 distance.
- The missile can be targeted by Force Staff and Hurricane Pike, pushing the rocket forwards (or back).
- When the missile gets affected by Chronosphere it gets instantly destroyed.
|Gyrocopter's attacks hit all enemy units in an area around it for a limited number of attacks. Only the main target of attacks will receive attack bonuses such as Critical Strike. Lasts 15 seconds or until the attacks are used.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Search Radius: 1000
Number of Attacks: 3/4/5/6
- Flak Cannon interrupts Gyrocopter's channeling spells upon cast.
- Causes Gyrocopter to perform instant attacks on all nearby enemies whenever he launches an attack projectile.
- This means all projectiles are released at the same time together with the main attack.
- Therefore, it does not matter whether the primary attack misses or not, the flaks are still released.
- The flaks have no count limit. All valid nearby targets get attacked.
- The primary attack target is not affected by Flak Cannon. It is only hit by the primary attack.
- The projectiles from the instant attacks travel at a speed of 800, and can be disjointed like regular attacks.
- Unlike most other instant attacks, the ones from Flak Cannon may not proc any attack modifiers or on-hit effects.
- However, attacking couriers, wards or buildings still causes flaks to hit all valid targets within the range.
- The number of attacks left is visible (to everyone) on the buff icon.
|Call down an aerial missile strike on enemy units in a target area. Two missiles arrive in succession, the first dealing major damage and minor slow for 2 seconds; the second dealing minor damage and major slow for 4 seconds.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Cast Range: 1000
Effect Radius: 600
Missile One Damage: 200/275/350
Missile Two Damage: 100/150/200
Missile One Move Speed Slow: 30%
Missile Two Move Speed Slow: 60%
Missile One Slow Duration: 2
Missile Two Slow Duration: 4
Side Gunner Attack Range: 0 ( 600)
Side Gunner Attack Interval: 0 ( 1.2)
- The first missile impacts 2 seconds and the second missile 4 seconds after cast.
- Provides 300 radius flying vision at the targeted area for 4 seconds after cast.
- Can deal a total of 300/425/550 damage (before reductions), assuming both missiles hit.
- The visual areal indicator is visible to allies only, but the sound effects are audible and the missiles visible to everyone.
- The side gunner granted by Aghanim's Scepter is not bound to any of Gyrocopter's spells.
- The side gunner performs an instant attack in the set interval. Its target is chosen completely randomly.
- Since it uses instant attacks, it neither interferes with the regular attacks, nor does it use animations. It also ignores disarms.
- It also does not interefere with any other actions of Gyrocopter. It still attacks while e.g. stunned or while channeling.
- Unlike Flak Cannon, the side gunner can proc any attack modifier or any on-hit effect like a regular attack.
- If Gyrocopter is blinded, the gunner can miss, unless he has True Strike. It can also miss to evasion.
- The side gunner uses the same 3000 projectile speed as Gyrocopter's attack.
- The side gunner does not attack when Gyrocopter is hidden, invisible or affected by Break.
- However, the gunner ignores fade times and fade delays of spells. It only does not attack when fully invisible.
- The side gunner does not attack wards, but does attack buildings. Only attacks units Gyrocopter has vision over.
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
- Shadow Blade is a useful chasing, positioning and initiation tool which also offers a good core of damage and attack speed for the carry or semi-carry role Gyrocopter will likely want to build into. The short ranges on his autoattack and Rocket Barrage mean that maintaining a good position in fights is vital for Gyrocopter, and given his fragility and lack of movement abilities, Shadow Blade is one of the most efficient ways to do this. In certain situations, it may also help you escape, although be careful not to rely on this too much against enemies who are canny enough to carry stealth detection items.
- Helm of the Dominator allows you to regenerate missing HP by farming the lane or the jungle, but it shines when used to stack the Ancient camp, which can be cleared rapidly with enough damage and points in Flak Cannon. Later on, if you are your team's main carry, it can be built into Satanic to allow you to stay in teamfights for much longer.
- Black King Bar should almost always be picked up, as Gyrocopter's low HP and lack of escapes make him extremely vulnerable to nukes and disables, especially when using Rocket Barrage.
- Monkey King Bar will grant vast amounts of damage and synergises amazingly with Flak Cannon, granting a huge damage boost against any enemies caught in its effective range. Bear in mind that Mini-Bash only works on your primary target.
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Aurel Vlaicu was a Romanian pioneer of early flight.
- Gyrocopter's response upon meeting Viper Play "Holy shit, it's Viper!" is a reference to a scene of the movie Top Gun.
- Gyrocopter's helmet is similar to Gaetan "The Mole" Moliere's headgear from Atlantis: The Lost Empire.
- Gyrocopter's death phrase "They came from behind" is a reference to the "Star Wars Episode 4" scene when the fighters are attempting to fire torpedoes into the exhaust port.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Audio[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Model and icons before November 21, 2013 Patch
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- , Top Gun scene Gyrocopter is referring to.