Aurel the Gyrocopter is a ranged agility Hero, capable of outputting a lot of single target and area of effect damage at a multitude of ranges. Early game Gyrocopter is a strong ganker, with Rocket Barrage able to output a lot of damage in a short amount of time if he and his target are alone. His second ability, Homing Missile, is a long range projectile that forces opponents to either stop and engage to take out the missile, or run to a safe location before being stunned. Thanks to his third ability, Flak Cannon, he is also an excellent pusher, and with it can farm up big items in the midgame as his spells start to fall off in damage. Flak Cannon also allows him to hit everyone in a teamfight with his autoattack, and with enough damage items he can inflict a lot of damage to the entire enemy team. Call Down is a useful ultimate with a low cooldown, and with an Aghanim's Scepter Gyrocopter can become a global presence, able to push or gank from anywhere on the map. With the right items, he can also transition into a carry role.
- Rocket Barrage is incredibly powerful against a single enemy, but its damage falls off dramatically if there are multiple targets. Position yourself to make the best use of it.
- Homing Missile is a great harassment tool. Place it behind your allies to prevent the enemy from destroying it before it starts moving.
- Flak Cannon allows you to harass enemy heroes from a great distance, or force them away from the creeps. An early point should be considered if you are taking the solo mid-lane. However, it does push the lane and may open yourself to ganks.
- Using Flak Cannon early (before you use the attacks) will lessen the cooldown on your next cast.
- For maximum effect, cast Call Down in conjunction with your Homing Missile's impact or an allied disable.
- Gyrocopter makes for a viable Divine Rapier carrier due to Flak Cannon's ability to hit all enemies in 1000 range with your current total Attack Damage. Extreme caution is advised when holding this item due to your poor HP pool, but with good judgement and teamwork, it can allow you to devastate the enemy team. It should only be purchased when the game has gone on for a long time and is balanced on a knife edge, or the game is looking extremely bad for your team.
- Aurel Vlaicu was a Romanian pioneer of early flight.
- Gyrocopter's response upon meeting Viper Play "Holy shit, it's Viper!" is a reference to a scene of the movie Top Gun.
- Gyrocopter's helmet is similar to Gaetan "The Mole" Moliere's headgear from Atlantis: The Lost Empire.
- [Undocumented] Updated Call Down's visual effects
- Update 2
- Fixed Call Down's 2nd slow not slowing by the right amount if the target wasn't hit by the first Missile
- Updated model.
- Fixed a minor issue with Rocket Barrage doing 31 rockets instead of 30.
- Fixed Call Down 50% slow happening on second impact if you were already slowed by the first (instead of 20%).
- Fixed Flak Cannon hitting Familiars.
- Fixed Rocket Barrage firing while under effects like Disruption/ Chronosphere/ Doom/Hex.
- Fixed Flak Cannon hurting Nightmared units without waking them up.
- Fixed Call Down first and second impact slow values being swapped.
- Fixed Call Down not slowing magic immune units.
- Homing Missile now starts 150 units in front him.
- Cleaned up grammar in Homing Missile's description.
- Reduced Gyro's model scale a little.
- Fixed Homing Missile not giving any bounty.
- Added Chaos Knight, Phantom Assassin and Gyrocopter to Captain's Mode
- Fixed Flak Cannon not attacking magic immune units.
- Fixed Rocket Barrage not hitting Roshan.
- Fixed Homing Missile portrait name.
- Fixed Flak Cannon not hitting ancients.
- Fixed Homing Missile ignoring Linken's Sphere.
- Fixed Call Down not providing vision over its area.
- Fixed Homing Missile not keeping vision around the area when it impacts a unit.
- Fixed Rocket Barrage not hurting mechanical units.
- Fixed Flak Cannon not hurting Mechanical units.
- Fixed Flak Cannon having cast time.
- Fixed creeps hurting Homing Missile.
- Fixed players being able to play as Gyrocopter, Bane, Lanaya and Phantom Assassin.
- Call Down
- area of effect increased from 450 to 600
- missile one slow amount reduced from 50% to 30%
- missile two slow amount increased from 20% to 60%
- Force Staff can now be used on Homing Missile
- Homing Missile Maximum damage increased from 110/220/330/440 to 125/250/375/500
- Homing Missile now hits invisible units.
- Homing Missile hits required to destroy increased from 3 to 3/3/4/5.
- Attack range reduced from 375 to 365.
- Flak Cannon cooldown increased from 20 to 30.
- Homing Missile
- Distance required for max damage reduced from 2000 to 1500.
- Stun duration rescaled from 2.5 to 2.2/2.4/2.6/2.8.
- Rocket Barrage damage increased from 11/14/17/20 to 11/15/19/23.
- Movement speed increased from 305 to 315.
- Flak Cannon AoE increased from 800 to 1000.
- Call Down AoE increased from 400 to 450.
- Homing Missile maximum damage (at 2k range) increased from 100/200/300/400 to 110/220/330/440.
- Rocket Barrage damage increased from 10/13/16/19 to 11/14/17/20.
- Armor increased by 2.
- Agility growth increased from 2.4 to 2.8.
- Rocket Barrage cooldown rescaled from 6.5 to 7/6.5/6/5.5 seconds.
- Added an Aghanim's Scepter upgrade (and visual effect):
- Call Down now has a global cast range and the second rocket does 75 more damage.
- Added to Captain's Mode.
- Homing Missile
- Now adds an ally only visual effect on targeted enemies.
- Cast range increased by 150.
- Cooldown from 20/18/16/14 to 20/17/14/11.
- Rocket Barrage damage improved from 10/12/14/16 to 10/13/16/19.
Model and icons before November 21, 2013 Patch
- , Top Gun scene Gyrocopter is refering to.