- 1 Reliable & Unreliable Gold
- 2 Acquiring gold
- 3 Spending (or losing) gold
- 4 Efficiency
- 5 Balance changelog
Reliable & Unreliable Gold
A player's gold is split into two categories:
- Reliable gold - Any bounty you get from Hero kills, Roshan, couriers, Hand of Midas, and global gold from towers is added to your reliable gold pool.
- Unreliable gold - Everything else (creep kills, neutrals, etc).
The only other difference between the two is how each one is spent:
- Dying only takes away gold from your unreliable gold pool.
- Buying items uses up your unreliable gold first before using your reliable gold.
- Buyback uses reliable gold first.
- Buyback will cancel only unreliable gold gain.
Hovering your mouse over the amount of total gold shown in the HUD will show your reliable and unreliable gold totals.
The purpose of separating gold into these two categories is to encourage ganking and tower pushes, which give reliable gold, rather than passive farming, which grants unreliable gold.
Each player begins with 625 gold. Players that random will begin with 825 gold. Re-picking a Hero will leave you with 525 gold, regardless of whether or not you randomed.
Each player receives 1 unreliable gold every 0.6 seconds, which results in 100 gold every minute.
Rune of Bounty
Activating a Rune of Bounty gives the player unreliable gold depending on the length of the game (50 + (2 * minute)).
There are a few items and abilities in Dota 2 which allow you to boost your gold income, namely:
Hero kills grant reliable gold to the killer. Bonus gold is awarded for stopping kill streaks. The first Hero that is killed in a match will give a bonus 150 reliable gold to the killer; this is called first blood.
When a Hero dies to creeps or a tower and is assisted by only one enemy, the enemy is credited with the kill. When there are multiple enemies within 1300 range, the gold is split equally amongst all Heroes that assisted.
Every time a Hero kills an enemy Hero, the killer is awarded reliable gold using the following formula:
200 + streak value + (killed Hero level * 9)
The following deaths do not stop kill streaks or count as first blood:
- Deaths to neutral creeps or Roshan
- Deaths to enemy towers with no assisting Heroes
- Deaths with Reincarnation
- Deaths with Aegis of the Immortal
All allied Heroes that are in a 1300 radius of a killed enemy, including the killer, will be granted a certain amount of reliable gold and experience, depending on the amount of allied Heroes in that area. Note that the assist counter on the scoreboard only counts assists that you dealt damage to, but gold and experience are awarded independently of your "assist" counter.
Net Worth Difference is defined as
(Enemy team net worth / Allied team net worth) - 1 and has a minimum of zero and a maximum of one.
When an enemy Tower is destroyed, gold is awarded to each player on your team. The player that got the last hit on the building is credited with destroying it and receives some bonus unreliable gold. If an enemy tower is denied, a reduced amount of gold is awarded to your team. If no player gets the last hit and the tower instead dies to lane creeps, no player gets the extra bonus gold.
|Building||Bounty||Total Bounty awarded|
|Tier 1 tower||160 to each player
150–250 to killing player
|Tier 2 tower||200 to each player
150–250 to killing player
|Tier 3 tower||240 to each player
150–250 to killing player
|Tier 4 tower||280 to each player
150–250 to killing player
|Tier 1 tower (denied by enemy)||80 to each player||400|
|Tier 2 tower (denied by enemy)||100 to each player||500|
|Tier 3 tower (denied by enemy)||120 to each player||600|
|Tier 4 tower (denied by enemy)||140 to each player||700|
|Melee or Ranged Barracks||352-370 to killing player||352-370|
|Subsidiary Buildings||102-120 to killing player||102-120|
Super Melee Creep
Super Ranged Creep
Mega Melee Creep
Mega Ranged Creep
| 200 to each player on team|
150-400 to killing player
Aegis of the Immortal / Cheese dropped
Hill Troll Berserker
Hill Troll Priest
Dark Troll Summoner
Items can be sold for 50% of the price they were bought. Items can be resold within 10 seconds of the purchase for full price. Items that have been purchased while dead can be sold if that item was bought during the same death, otherwise items cannot be sold while dead, even within the grace period. Selling items gives unreliable gold, even if they were bought with reliable gold.
Spending (or losing) gold
Picking a Hero
All players start off with 825 gold. Picking a Hero in any mode will cost you 200 gold, leaving you with 625 gold. If you should decide to re-pick it will cost you an extra 100 gold, thus leaving you with only 525 gold to start off with. Should you decide to random (or play All Random), receiving a Hero will cost you no gold. You will lose two gold per second if you haven't picked a Hero after the selection timer runs out in All Pick.
Swapping a Hero that you picked costs 0 gold, leaving you with 625 gold. Swapping a Hero that you randomed costs you 100 gold, leaving you with 725 gold.
The main purpose of gold is to purchase items. The player with the most gold will be able to buy the most items and will therefore have a very strong Hero. The items each player buys depends on their role in the team and many other factors.
† Item cannot be sold.
- Cheese cannot be purchased, but can be sold for 500 gold.
Every time a Hero dies, they lose
30 × (Hero Level) unreliable gold. Dying does not take away reliable gold.
While your Hero is dead, you have the option of "buying back" and respawning instantly in exchange for a gold fee. The cost of buyback is based on your Hero's level, and also increases fifteen gold per minute since the starting horn, or one gold every four seconds. Buying back takes away from your reliable gold pool first, and the cost uses the following formula:
100 + (Level^2)×1.5 + (GameTimeInMinutes×15)
After buying back, 25% of your Hero's remaining respawn time will be added to your next death. Additionally, Heroes are unable to gain unreliable gold until their respawn time would have finished. The gold icon on the HUD will flash red when this time finishes. Buyback has a cooldown of 7 minutes.
Abandoning the Game
After being disconnected from the game for more than 5 minutes, all of your gold is equally divided between the remaining players on your team, including your 1.67 gold/sec passive gold gain. If 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 players have abandoned, the remaining players will receive 2.08 / 2.78 / 4.17 / 8.33 gold/sec. The passive bonus gold gain is restored once you reconnect to the game, but any gold that was distributed is not reimbursed.
- Buyback cooldown increased from 6 to 7 minutes
- AoE Gold NWFactor reduced from 0.06/0.06/0.05/0.04/0.03 to 0.05/0.05/0.05/0.04/0.03
- Reworked how the AoE bonus Gold calculation is done slightly: NWDifference variable is now (EnemyTeamNW/AlliedTeamNW) - 1 [Min 0, Max 1]
- Rescaled the AoE Gold constant multipliers (in part to account for the formula tweak) from 0.26/0.22/0.18/0.14/0.1 to 0.06/0.06/0.05/0.04/0.03
- Kill Streak Bounty from 100->800 to 60->480 (6.81: 125->1000)
- Adjusted bonus area of effect Gold and XP
- The gold for ending a spree is in turn reduced, from 125->1000 to 60->480.
- Reworked bonus area of effect Gold and Streak ending
- You now lose one gold per second if you haven't picked a hero after the selection timer runs out in All Pick
- Buyback prevents gaining unreliable gold (creeps, neutrals, etc) until your normal respawn time finishes
- When buying back, 25% of the remaining respawn time will be added to your next death
- Starting gold increased from 603 to 625
- Random Gold bonus reduced by 50
- Gold for ending a spree changed from 75->600 (3x->10x) to 125->1000
- Your gold income is now 1 per 0.6 seconds, up from 1 per 0.8 seconds
- Tower Last Hit bonus gold increased from 100-200 to 150-250
- Deny XP and Bonus XP/Gold AOE is now the same as regular XP AOE (1000->1200)
- Gold for ending a spree changed from 50->400 (3x->10x) to 75->600
- Buy back cooldown increased from 5 to 6 minutes
- Towers no longer have separate bounty values when creeps or allies get the last hit, it now gives the same reliable bounty to all players as if a creep killed it.
- Hero getting last hit on tower gives 100-200 bonus gold. Does not affect team bounty in any way
- Previously if you get the last hit:
- You would get no team bounty
- Allies get slightly less gold
- Allies always get the same amount regardless of who last hits
- A hero last hitting gets roughly the same overall amount as before
- Previously if you get the last hit:
- Swapping a hero that you randomed now costs you 100 gold
- Team AoE bounty for kills with 2 heroes around changed from 9*Level+95 to 12*Level + 125
- Team AoE bounty for kills with 3 heroes around changed from 8*Level+20 to 10*Level+40
- Killer bounty level multiplier increased from 200+5*Level to 200+9*Level
- Buyback cooldown increased from 4 minutes to 5
- Gold over time from 0.875 intervals to 0.8
- Added a 4 minute cooldown to Buyback
- Rebalanced the assist Gold & XP system
- Most recent versions (since 6.55) have an extra portion of the gold/xp that is not a pure split like standard XP usually is.
- For Gold "Assist" means the number of heroes in the area besides the killer. "Level" always means the level of the dying target
- 6.68 Bonus Gold:
- Hero Killer: 0
- 1 Assist: 10*Level + 45 (2 heroes involved in kill)
- 2 Assist: 9*Level + 40 (3 heroes involved in kill)
- 3 Assist: 8*Level + 35 (4 heroes involved in kill)
- 4 Assist: 7*Level + 30 (5 heroes involved in kill)
- 5 Assist: 7*Level + 30 (5 heroes involved in kill but no one got last hit)
- 6.69 Bonus Gold:
- Hero Killer: 0
- 1 Assist: 9*Level + 95 (2 heroes involved in kill)
- 2 Assist: 8*Level + 20 (3 heroes involved in kill)
- 3 Assist: 6*Level + 10 (4 heroes involved in kill)
- 4 Assist: 6*Level (5 heroes involved in kill)
- 5 Assist: 6*Level (5 heroes involved in kill but no one got last hit)
- Added a new gold mechanic to the game
- "Reliable Gold" - Any bounty you get from hero kills or from the extra "aoe kill gold" bonus (feature from few patches ago) is added to your Reliable Gold pool.
- "Unreliable Gold" - It is everything else (creep kills, neutrals, etc).
- Dying can only take away gold from your Unreliable Gold pool and not from your Reliable Gold. Buying items uses up your Unreliable Gold first before using your Reliable Gold.
- An example: You have 910 total gold (500 Unreliable, 410 Reliable). If you buy Boots of Speed, you'll have 410 total gold left (0 Unreliable, 410 Reliable). However, if you bought Chainmail, you would have 360 Reliable Gold left.
- The process is seamless to the user, you won't have to do anything extra to make it work. Your total gold is still displayed in the same place. Your Reliable Gold is displayed in your scoreboard title.
- This is a new experimental idea that may be adjusted and tweaked over time depending on feedback and results after it is released. As always, let me know anything you want to see in future versions.
- Buyback uses reliable gold first. There are some other plans and ideas for buyback adjustments in the future but I would like to see these changes stabilize first before considering further stuff. There may also be some other changes related to the aoe bounty in the future but I want to take it slow one step at a time and see how this change is reflected in games first.
- Readjusted the -bonus gold/xp system that is given in an aoe around dying heroes from being static unsplit to a dynamic split variation (numbers adjusted as well)
- Reworked buyback cost scaling
- It uses the following formula: 100+Level*Level*1.5+Time*15
- Roughly the same during the early-midgame, but scales higher as the game progresses.
- A message is now displayed when a hero buys back
- Tweaked Sentinel and Scourge tower bounty sharing mechanism slightly
- Changed and standardized the bounty values on all structures
- Denied towers give 50% team gold rather than 0%.
- Global team tower bounty increases a little per tower level
- Hero Kills now give a flat gold bounty in an area (+40, not to killer)
- Slight adjustments to gold bounty variance on Sentinel and Scourge creeps
- Tower gold is split if Sentinel or Scourge gets the last hit
- Changed First Blood to be given to the Assist players when creeps kill the hero rather than giving it to Sentinel or Scourge and splitting
- When there is only 1 Assist to a Sentinel or Scourge kill, the kill is instead given to that hero. When there are multiple assists to a Sentinel or Scourge kill, the gold is split amongst those assisters rather than the entire team
- First Blood bounty is shared with the team if Sent/Scourge get the last hit
- Adjusted starting gold between all game modes like ap/xl/rd/sd to be the same (all the same as xl) and for randoms to be like ar. Gold is now give at the start and income starts with the first creep wave.
- Income is now distributed in 1 gold intervals instead of in 8 gold intervals (same total gold)
- Adjusted starting gold in -rd to give you the same amount you'd have when the creeps come out in regular pick game (right now it is a little less than normal)
- Sentinel and Scourge hero kills now share the gold with the team instead of it being lost
- Bonus gold is given to the allies of the tower killer (even if creeps kill it)
- You can now set the player slots to Computer to reduce the starting gold if you are playing in less than 5v5 (so you don't have to start with 3500 if you don't want to)
- Host now gets same gold as rest when picking a hero in -sh
- Leavers' gold is now properly distributed throughout the game as they gain gold.
- In regular pick, you get back 175 from the 250 hero gold cost (not -lm)
- Made shortmode shorter, a little more gold and exp
- Cannot get bounty by suiciding