Lyralei the Windranger is a ranged intelligence hero that uses powerful abilities in conjunction with her physical attack to take down enemies. Despite being an intelligence Hero, Windranger's playstyle resembles that of an agility Hero, due in large part to her skillset. Windranger is most often played as an offlane solo due to her escape, long range harass, and farm capability; however, she is quite versatile and can be fielded as a midlaner, roamer, lane support, or even a carry, if the game calls for it. She is famous for her immense utility and versatility, and as such, she is one of the most common picks of experienced players.
 Recommended Items
Getting Boots will allow Windranger to position her Shackleshot/Powershot better, allowing for an easier gank. Force Staff is very efficient and versatile for positioning a Shackleshot, allowing you to force a unit in front of a tree, force a creep/unit in front of another unit, or force yourself into position.
Although Focus Fire strips your physical attack of orb effects; crit and bash are retained and as such Monkey King Bar and Daedalus make Windranger extremely dangerous; allowing her to pummel an enemy to death while ministunning them constantly. This build should only be attempted if you have a very successful early game, or if you are being relied upon to carry.
- If you must solo a lane, take Windrun first. This will give you a reliable escape if you are being ganked early.
- Power Shot should always be maxed first, as it is a very powerful nuke early. One point in both Shackle Shot and Windrun is usually sufficient. Remember that Power Shot damages invisible heroes, so if you know where they are do not hesitate to use it. Late-game, Power Shot can be used as an exploratory long-range spell.
- Power Shot claims to do reduced damage if released early, but releasing it at 60% or more inflicts full damage.
- Despite it being unlisted in her recommended items, Mekansm is very strong on Windranger. Consider getting it on her after your upgraded boots, provided no one else can get it at a similar time. Remember, Mekansm is better the earlier it's gotten.
- Shackle Shot's ministun is extremely useful for interrupting channeled spells, such as Bane's and Pudge's ultimates.
- Early-game, unless circumstances are unusual, always save enough mana to Windrun when you are in dangerous territory.
- Due to the rework of Focus Fire, it might be useful to level it early, as it is now more useful in teamfights, allowing you to focus down the enemy carry, be wary of the mana cost though, as using it might leave your mana too low to cast your other spells, which are more useful in most cases.
- Despite being an escape mechanism, Windrun is potentially a very powerful defensive spell, as it allows complete immunity against damage from physical attacks.
- Building an Aghanim's Scepter with a powerful attack modifier can shift Windranger's role from supportive chaser/nuker to that of a semi-carry, as it will allow her to scale. However, building a scepter without an attack modifier is not very useful, and Windranger can function very well with attack modifiers even without building a scepter. Build an attack modifier first, then choose whether or not to build scepter.
- In DotA, Windranger was known as Alleria the Windrunner. Alleria Windrunner is a character from the Warcraft universe. In the November 21, 2013 update, her name was changed to "Windranger", likely to avoid copyright issues with Blizzard.
- Windranger's current name, Lyralei, is a partial anagram of Alleria (one of the A's was replaced with the Y).
 Update history
- Named changed from Windrunner to Windranger.
- Fixed several "missing lane" line bugs for Puck, Mirana, Meepo, Lina, Keeper, Shadow Demon, and Windranger.
- Updated vision values on these abilities: Unstable Concoction, Phantasm, Waveform, Storm Hammer, Mirror Image, Spirit Lance, Requiem of Souls, Spectral Dagger, Venomous Gale, Earthbind, Dream Coil, Shackleshot, Wall of Replica, Flamebreak, Deafening Blast, Ghost Ship.
- [Undocumented] Updated Windranger hero icon to reflect her texture changes.
- Windranger polished textures and updated hero selection portrait.
- Updated Aghanim's Scepter tooltips for Beastmaster, Necrolyte, Queen of Pain, Warlock, and Windranger.
- [Undocumented] Updated the hero selection portrait.
- Fixed being able to Shackleshot onto Ancients/Roshan.
- Updated Windranger's hero selection portrait.
- Fixed Healing Ward and Windranger auras' sticky durations to 2.5 seconds.
- Fixed Powershot killing Couriers.
- Fixed Windranger not playing her Focus Fire run animation.
- Fixed the following ability interactions with Repel/Purge: Inner Vitality, Weave, Moonlight Shadow, Overload, Holy Persuasion, Warcry, Shadow Word, Focus Fire, Sukuchi, Berserker's Call, Chilling Touch.
- Fixed Windranger's bowstring disappearing when she died.
- Fixed Shackleshot being dodgeable.
- Powershot now properly gives 3.34 seconds of vision at its end location.
- Fixed enemy team being able to hear Windranger's charge sound effect.
- Fixed Shackleshot speed.
- Fixed Shackleshot projectile hit not providing vision.
- Fixed Focus Fire interaction with magic immunity.
- Added projectile vision to Windranger's Powershot and Lich's Chain Frost.
- Added new in-progress models for Lina, Drow, Windranger.
- Fixed Focus Fire not working versus magic immune.
- Fixed Powershot requiring too much time to read full damage.
- Changed Windranger's Shackleshot to prioritize direction over distance when finding an attach target. Also better tracks the direction of the projectile.
- Fixed Powershot tree destruction aoe being twice as big as it should.
- Fixed cases where creating a linear projectile directly on yourself would cause it to get stuck. This includes fixes to Fissure, Ghost Ship, Dragon Slave, Arrow, Impale, Waveform, Illusory Orb, Meat Hook, Burrowstrike, Wave of Terror, and Power Shot.
- Fixed Windranger's Shackleshot's target-gather angle, and it will now select the closest valid attach target.
- Fixed Windranger not firing off an arrow when she releases Powershot before the channel is completed.
 Balance changelog
- Focus Fire remains sticky on the target you cast it on.
- This means that you can change targets and when you return to the original target, your attack speed bonus will resume.
- Shackleshot cooldown increased from 10 to 12 seconds.
- Night vision reduced to that of normal heroes (1200->800).
- Shackleshot's search angle reduced from 30 to 26 degrees.
- Windrun cooldown improved from 30/25/20/15 to 15.
- Lowered Base Attack Time (1.6->1.5).
- Added Windranger to Aghanim's Scepter. Does not reduce damage from secondary item effects. Cooldown from 60 to 15.
- Decreased Powershot cooldown from 12 to 9 seconds.
- Removed attack count limit on Focus Fire.
- Improved Windrun cooldown.
- Tweaks to Shackleshot angle and area check mechanism.
- Slightly improved Shackleshot duration and cd.
 See also