Atropos the Bane Elemental, also known simply as Bane, is a ranged intelligence Hero, possessing dark and nightmarish abilities that give him strong disabling, ganking, and nuking prowess. Mostly played as a support, he has some of the highest starting stats of any hero, yet is unique in the sense that all his attributes and stat growths are equivalent. In addition, he possesses four highly potent single-target spells, which if used properly can more than make up for his complete lack of area of effect presence and pushing power. Enfeeble reduces the target's attack damage by a tremendous amount, which can highly reduce an attack-reliant enemy hero's effectiveness from as early as the laning stage all the way to the endgame. Brain Sap is a nuke that deals hefty pure damage to the target, healing himself for the same amount as well. Nightmare puts a unit to sleep, completely disabling for several seconds and dealing minor damage per second. If the slept target is physically attacked, it wakes up and the spell transfers to the attacker (spells will also wake the target up, but will not transfer the effect to the caster). Finally, Bane's Fiend's Grip is a channeling spell that completely disables the target for several seconds, dealing heavy damage per second and giving Bane some mana back as well. Bane's debilitating lockdown abilities are what make him an invaluable support to allies, and a feared one for enemies.
 Recommended items
- Between levels 6-12 Bane is comparatively a very powerful hero. If you maxed Brain Sap you will be able to solo kill most heroes by means of Fiend's Grip followed by Brain Sap. It is necessary to get kills during this phase of the game; as if Bane is not well-geared and leveled up later in the game, he will be relegated to a support unit.
- It is important for the player to judge when to change roles; as mentioned above, Bane should gank constantly in the middle of the game to gain a gold advantage and avoid getting shut down or subjugated to a conservative support role. A well-managed Bane can change the outcome of a team fight in the late game with effective use of items such as Necronomicon, Scythe of Vyse, and Aghanim's Scepter.
- Bane is not an initiator; despite having two disables, he is far too delicate to withstand the initial retaliation. Instead, he should hide until such time as his abilities become crucial when the team fight has ensued(preventing escapes, finishing off enemy heroes with Brain Sap, etc.).
- Avoid heroes with stuns, as they can interrupt Fiend's Grip. If you must deal with them, incapacitate them via Nightmare, a Scythe of Vyse, or Fiend's Grip itself. Picking Bane in a match against several heroes with disables is unwise. Black King Bar is typically an effective first major item to build on Bane if you need to help your team disable someone before they retaliate.
- If the enemy team lack area-of-effect stuns or interrupts, a Shadow Blade can make your ultimate harder to stop, since your opponents must first reveal you and then interrupt you. As with all similar abilities, you can activate invisibility without breaking your channel. While Shadow Blade is also effective for ganking solo heroes and escaping, you should still get Black King Bar instead if the enemy team have ranged AoE interrupts such as those possessed by Lina, Drow, Dark Seer, or Death Prophet, for example.
- Bane is a strong mid-lane character. Enfeeble can severely weaken heroes reliant on physical damage to last hit, while Bane's strong ultimate and nuke allow him to solo almost any hero, while ganking should be no problem. Mid-lane also allows Bane to farm up his core items.
- The origin of the name "Atropos" comes from Greek mythology. One of the Moirai Sisters (commonly referred to as the Fates), Atropos was the sister in charge of cutting the "Life Thread" of those who were going to die. From Atropos, we also get the word "atrophy", which means "to waste away".
- The quote "Do Tinkers dream of electric sheepsticks?" is a reference to Philip K. Dick's book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, and "sheepstick" a common nickname for Scythe of Vyse .
- The theme and abilities of Bane Elemental are based off the game Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis. In this game, there is a Bane "element" which provides spells that are named Enfeeble, Brain Sap, Nightmare and Fiend's Grip, with a similar theme of Bane in Dota 2.
- Bane's quote "Sleep no more" is a reference to Shakespeare's play Macbeth. The ghost of Banquo haunts Macbeth constantly saying "Sleep no more"
 Update history
- Fixed recasting a higher level of Enfeeble only refreshing the existing duration without upgrade the stats
- Fixed Backswing behavior for: Soul Rip, Tombstone, Cold Feet, Ice Vortex, Chilling Touch, Enfeeble, Shallow Grave, Thunder Strike, Kinetic Field, Static Storm, Malefice, Midnight Pulse, Howl, Stifling Dagger, Static Link, Shrapnel, Psionic Trap, Whirling Axes (Ranged), Storm Hammer, Gods Strength, Wave of Terror, Venomous Gale, Shadow Word, Fatal Bonds, The Swarm, Time Lapse, Maledict, Overpower and Ice Shards.
- Fixed base damage being too low.
- Fixed Fiend's Grip not ending if Kraken Shell dispels it.
- Fixed the following spells being castable on magic immune allies: Nightmare, Frost Armor, Nature's Guise, Holy Persuasion, Decrepify, Astral Imprisonment, Shadow Word and X Marks The Spot.
- Fixed being unable to nightmare non-hero units.
- [Undocumented] Updated the hero selection portrait.
- Fixed Nightmare dispelling on self damage (e.g. Rot).
- [Undocumented] Added injured idle animations.
- [Undocumented] Added a haste rune run animation for Bane
- Fixed Nightmare putting Juggernaut to sleep while Omnislashing.
- Fixed Fiend's Grip doing one tick less damage than it should have.
- Fixed cleave damage not waking up Nightmared units.
- Fixed the attack timing on when Nightmare gets transfered.
- Fixed Enfeeble working on Roshan.
- Fixed being unable to attack allied Nightmared heroes to transfer the debuff.
- Fixed Nightmare being able to transfer to towers and wards.
- [Undocumented] Added a spawn animation.
- Fixed players being able to play as Gyrocopter, Bane, Lanaya and Phantom Assassin.
- Fixed bots playing as Bane.
- Fixed Fiend's Grip not working properly on magic immune units.
 Balance changelog
- Enfeeble cooldown decreased from 12 to 10.
- Bane can now wake himself up from Nightmare with a subability.
- Fiend's Grip Aghanim's duration increased from 6 to 7.
- Enfeeble damage reduction increased from 25/50/75/100 to 30/60/90/120.
- Enfeeble can no longer be dispelled (By Manta, BKB or any other dispel).
- Movement speed increased from 305 to 315.
- Base Str/Agi/Int increased from 18/18/18 to 22/22/22.
- Enfeeble manacost rescaled from 125 to 95/105/115/125.
- Brain Sap cooldown decreased from 16 to 14.
- Fiend's Grip now gives vision of the target.
- Enfeeble now reduces attack damage by a constant amount:
- Previous: Reduces attack damage by 40/60/80/100% of base damage. 15 second cooldown.
- Current: Reduces total attack damage by 25/50/75/100. 12 second cooldown.
- Fiend's Grip Scepter duration from 5 to 6 seconds.
- Reduced Fiend's Grip cooldown from 120 to 100.
- Nightmare fixed so it properly stops enemy potions.
- Enfeeble damage rebalanced from 30/60/90/120% to 40/60/80/100% (above 100% didn't work properly).
- Brain Sap damage rebalanced from 75/150/225/300 to 90/160/230/300.
- Brain Sap cooldown from 20 to 16
- Fiend's Grip Scepter upgrade now drains 10% mana per second instead of 5%.
- Fiend's Grip manacost increased from 100/175/250 to 200/300/400.
- Improved cast range on Enfeeble (800->1000).
- Added Bane Elemental to Aghanim's Scepter. Deals more damage.
- Changed how Fiend's Grip works a little.
- Fiend's Grip now wakes a unit up from Nightmare.
- Removed the life degen and enemy suicide mechanism from Enfeeble.
- Improved Enfeeble.
Low Violence model
 See also