Wielding his cosmically powered mace, each hit can lock his foes in time, stopping them in place. He can jump into or out of combat using Time Walk, and passively can avoid any damage with Backtrack which even works against Monkey King Bar. His ultimate, Chronosphere, locks time for everything within its area of effect, giving him time to strike down any enemies caught within with near impunity for several seconds. Faceless Void is a hard carry and, as such, scales heavily from items and reaches his full potential in late game, growing into one of the most powerful and destructive Heroes.
 Recommended items
- The consumables will allow you to stay in lane in the early levels, where you will be subject to harass.
- Quelling Blade and Slippers both provide extra damage to Faceless Void to aid in last-hitting during the laning phase.. Slippers can build into a Poor Man's Shield from the Side Lane Shop which together with Backtrack increases Faceless Void's survivability in the lane.
- Mask of Madness increases Faceless Void's attack speed for a short duration which increases damage output potential during Chronosphere, gives more opportunities for Time Lock to proc, and its lifesteal slightly offsets Faceless Voids low health gain.
- Power Treads give stat bonuses and increased attack speed to Faceless Void, increasing his survivability and potential damage output.
- Butterfly grants evasion, and chance-stacks with Faceless Void's Backtrack. This item alongside level 4 backtrack has the potential to negate 51% of auto-attack damage, increasing Faceless Void's survivability. In addition, the agility and attack speed will dramatically increase Time Lock's damage output potential.
- Crystalys and Daedalus provide Faceless Void with critical damage, greatly increasing Faceless Void's potential damage output.
- Assault Cuirass grants additional attack speed, armor and an armor reduction aura that increases both Faceless Void's damage potential, and that of his teammates.
- Monkey King Bar's true strike negates Faceless Void's opponents' evasion, if they have any, allowing Faceless Void to maintain his damage output late-game. Please note that Chronosphere disables evasion, so if you can eliminate enemies with evasion before Chronosphere runs out, you shouldn't purchase Monkey King Bar.
- Maelstrom is a good choice if you're looking for a cheap source of damage and attack speed. This can be then upgraded to a Mjollnir if you choose to.
- Aghanim's Scepter is a situational pick up, but is a good early to mid game pick up for various reasons. Firstly, the added stats give Faceless Void a well-rounded boost to survivability and mana. Secondly, if you purchase Aghanim's Scepter early enough with a level 1/2 Chronosphere, you will benefit more from the massive cooldown reduction - this lower cooldown will allow Void to readily join teamfights with his team, or solo kill supports more frequently so as to accelerate item progression. Thirdly, there are many heroes which synergize very well with Chronosphere, especially Jakiro or Witch Doctor who have ultimates with similar cooldowns.
- Black King Bar is a crucial item if Faceless Void is up against magic damage reliant heroes, especially stunners and disables. If you were to miss a stunner/disabler in your Chronosphere, they could easily kite Void from outside. Purchasing a Black King Bar and using it in fights will ensure that Faceless Void isn't being slowed down by said heroes.
- Mask of Madness will allow Faceless Void better to utilize Chronosphere throughout game, as does almost any item that gives attack speed or damage. A BKB is usually a good choice after getting a MoM as nukers outside the chronosphere can be ignored, while they otherwise burst the fragile Void very easily.
- When using Chronosphere it's important that you prioritize the targets to deal maximum damage. Important targets include carries and spellcasters.
- If you want to play your lane aggressively, level Time Lock first, conversely if you need to play defensively, level Backtrack after getting at least one level of Time Walk as it is still your primary escape mechanism, while also having some offensive potential.
- Chronosphere will pause friendly units (exception : units under control of Faceless Void) and heroes as well as foes. Try to position it so enemies are within the sphere and allies are outside and can reach enemies inside without having to enter the Chronosphere itself.
- Using later levels of Time Walk and Chronosphere in tandem can easily catch entire enemy teams off guard.
- Faceless Void goes together well with heroes that have ranged ultimates, such as Lich, Jakiro, Witch Doctor and Gyrocopter. Chronosphere can trap enemy heroes in place for several seconds.
- If you are trying to decide on what item build is best for Faceless Void remember that his main goal is to do the most damage and hopefully kill at least one key enemy hero inside his Chronosphere where he has a 5 second free rein to attack a target without any chance of retaliation.
- While Aghanim's Scepter may diminish your carry potential sometimes it might come in handy as it increases your Chronosphere duration to 6 seconds and reduces its cooldown to only 60 seconds, allowing your ultimate to be ready in almost any team fight and while it may not contribute to your damage output very much it does increase your survivability by granting you stats and HP.
- Juggernaut's Omnislash is not stopped inside your Chronosphere, provided Juggernaut wasn't caught in the Chronosphere in the first place.
- A Black King Bar is very crucial item if you find yourself interrupted by magic attacks from units not caught in your Chronosphere e.g. stuns and disables. Every second counts when the Chronosphere is in use, and getting stunned or hexed from outside interference can result with your Chronosphere expiring without any enemies getting killed.
- A Refresher Orb combined with Aghanim's Scepter will allow you to lock down the entire enemy team for 12 seconds at Level 3 Chronosphere and will provide the longest hard Crowd Control in the game, provided you have the initial manapool to cast Chronosphere twice and use Refresher's active. This is more than enough time to kill two or three enemies, even without damage items, and allows you to make use of the full duration of Mask of Madness active. While it is not viable in most circumstances, if purchased fast enough after Aghanim's Scepter, it will allow you to wholly dominate the enemy team.
- Battlefury gives you good damage with health and mana regen. It is also great when you use Chronosphere and have multiple heroes caught inside it. Its cleave enables you to deal damage to multiple foes rather than one target at a time. If Faceless Void is powerful enough, he can kill an entire team caught inside the Chronosphere with Battlefury.
- In DotA, Faceless Void's alternate/fun name is Gorzerk.
- Chronosphere is able to pause units under the effect of Invoker's Tornado.
- Faceless Void's death response, "Unkind Rewind" is likely a reference to the old saying, "Be Kind Rewind," a saying used to remind customers to rewind rented VHS tape before returning them to the store. The unkind in the response relating to the fact that it is unkind that he did not rewind.
 Update history
- Fixed Backtrack working on HP Removal.
- Pseudo Random chances are now enabled for these abilities:
- Fixed Chronosphere not freezing invulnerable towers.
- Updated Faceless Void's Backtrack effect.
- Fixed Courier interaction with Chronosphere.
- Fixed Basher stacking with Spiritbreaker/Slardar/Faceless Void's bashes.
- Fixed evasion not being disabled properly under Doom/Chronosphere.
- Fixed Chronosphere's interaction with various passives.
- Fixed Chronosphere freezing other units you own.
- Chronosphere now properly affects siege weapons.
- Add new effect for Faceless Void's Chronosphere.
- Faceless Void's Time Walk and Backtrack effects now properly draw his time shifted form.
- Fixed Backtrack being able to avoid unique attack effects.
- Chronosphere now properly gives 1000/1000 flying vision.
- Chronosphere is now guaranteed to show for both teams.
- Chronosphere no longer pauses mechanicals or wards (except for Mass Serpent Wards, which are still paused).
- Fixed being able to Force Staff out of Chronosphere.
- Nerfed him by making Chronosphere actually show up for enemies.
- Faceless Void's Timewalk now affects all units he passes through, not just a radius at his destination. (6.72 parity)
- Fixed Chronosphere moving buildings.
- Fixed Chronosphere not affecting invulnerable towers.
- Added Faceless Void.
- Chronosphere now affects magic-immune units.
- Morphling's Waveform and Faceless Void's Timewalk will now continue previously-commanded movement properly (should no longer double-back after using those abilities).
 Balance changelog
- Base agility increased from 21 to 23.
- Turn rate improved from 0.5 to 1.
- Chronosphere cooldown reduced from 120/110/100 to 120/100/80.
- Faceless Void now has 1000 movement speed and phase while in Chronosphere.
- Time Walk manacost reduced from 120 to 90.
- Time Walk slow rescaled from 25/30/35/40% to 20/30/40/50%.
- Chronosphere AoE increased from 400 to 450.
- Time Lock deals twice as much damage when it procs on a target in Chronosphere.
- Faceless Void can no longer be frozen by any Chronosphere.
- Undid melee hero collision change from 6.72c
- Melee hero collision size now reduced from 24 to 12.
- Base HP regeneration increased from 0.25 to 0.75.
- Aghanim's upgraded Chronosphere cooldown decreased from 75 to 60.
- Chronosphere now reveals Invisible units.
- Chronosphere cast range improved from 500/550/600 to 600.
- Time Walk slow affects all units along his path, instead of just at the destination.
- Chronosphere duration rescaled from 3/4/5 to 4/4.5/5.
- Strength growth increased from 1.4 to 1.6.
- Time Walk slow increased from 10/20/30/40% to 25/30/35/40%.
- Time Walk cooldown rebalanced from 13 to 19/17/15/13.
- Improved base Strength (17->23).
- Added Faceless Void to Aghanim's Scepter. Lasts 1 second longer and has a slightly less cooldown.
- Reduced Chronosphere cooldown
- Rewrote Time Walk to keep constant speed (so its not slow motion when you click nearby).
- Lowered Faceless Void's strength gain.
- Improved Faceless Void's cast animation time.
- Rebalanced Chronosphere.
- Faceless Void base damage increased a bit
- Minor armor buff (usually 1) to most melee heroes
- Timewalk slow reduced a bit
- Removed delayed effect on chronosphere and gave it a proper casting time so it matches sphere effect
- Nerfed the extra damage during timewalk
- Faceless void remade
- Faceless can now use refresher orb
- Reworked Faceless Void (Modified ult, buffed bash damage, str gainperlvl 2.05->2.2)
- Timestop lvl 3 cooldown is 110 seconds up from 90
- Time stop reduced to 2.5 seconds, mana cost now 180/250/300
 See also