Wielding his cosmically powered mace, each hit can lock his foes in time, stopping them in place. He can jump into or out of combat using Time Walk, and passively can avoid any damage with Backtrack which even works against Monkey King Bar. His ultimate, Chronosphere, locks time for everything within its area of effect, giving him time to strike down any enemies caught within with near impunity for several seconds. Faceless Void is a hard carry and, as such, scales heavily from items and reaches his full potential in late game, growing into one of the most powerful and destructive Heroes.
 Recommended items
- The consumables will allow you to stay in lane in the early levels, where you will be subject to harass.
- Quelling Blade and Slippers both provide extra damage to Faceless Void to aid in last-hitting during the laning phase.. Slippers can build into a Poor Man's Shield from the Side Lane Shop which together with Backtrack increases Faceless Void's survivability in the lane.
- Mask of Madness (MoM) increases Faceless Void's attack speed for a short duration which increases damage output potential during Chronosphere, gives more opportunities for Time Lock to proc, and its lifesteal slightly offsets Faceless Voids low health gain.
- Power Treads give stat bonuses and increased attack speed to Faceless Void, increasing his survivability and potential damage output.
- Butterfly grants evasion, and chance-stacks with Faceless Void's Backtrack. This item alongside level 4 backtrack has the potential to negate 51% of auto-attack damage, increasing Faceless Void's survivability. In addition, the agility and attack speed will dramatically increase Time Lock's damage output potential.
- Crystalys and Daedalus provide Faceless Void with critical damage, greatly increasing Faceless Void's potential damage output.
- Assault Cuirass grants additional attack speed, armor and an armor reduction aura that increases both Faceless Void's damage potential, and that of his teammates.
- Monkey King Bar's true strike negates Faceless Void's opponents' evasion, if they have any, allowing Faceless Void to maintain his damage output late-game. Please note that Chronosphere disables evasion, so if you can eliminate enemies with evasion before Chronosphere runs out, you shouldn't purchase Monkey King Bar.
- Maelstrom is a good choice if you're looking for a cheap source of decent damage and attack speed. This can be then upgraded to a Mjollnir if you choose to.
- Battlefury gives you good damage and health and mana regen. It is also great when you use Chronosphere and have multiple heroes caught inside it. Its cleave enables you to deal damage to multiple foes rather than one target at a time.
- Mask of Madness will allow Faceless Void better to utilize Chronosphere throughout game, as does almost any item that gives attack speed or damage. A BKB is usually a good choice after getting a MoM as nukers outside the chronosphere can be ignored, while they otherwise burst the fragile Void very easily.
- When using Chronosphere it's important that you prioritize the targets to deal maximum damage. Important targets include carries and spellcasters.
- If you want to play your lane aggressively rank up Time Lock first, conversely if you need to play defensively rank up Backtrack after getting at least one rank of Time Walk as it is still your primary escape mechanism, while also having some offensive potential.
- Chronosphere will pause friendly units (exception : units under control of Faceless Void) and heroes as well as foes. Try to position it so enemies are within the sphere and allies are outside and can reach enemies inside without having to enter Chronosphere itself.
- Using later ranks of Time Walk and Chronosphere in tandem can easily catch entire enemy teams off guard.
- Although Faceless Void is a hard carry hero, he is extremely supportive when using his Chronosphere as it has the potential to trap the entire enemy team in place for many seconds, allowing easy use of several ranged ultimates altogether for massive damage. Example: Lich, Jakiro, Witch Doctor and Gyrocopter ultimates.
- If you are trying to decide on what item build is best for Faceless Void remember that his main goal is to do the most damage and hopefully kill at least one key enemy hero inside his Chronosphere where he has a 5 second free rein to attack a target without any chance of retaliation.
- While Aghanim's Scepter may diminish your carry potential sometimes it might come in handy as it increases your Chronosphere duration to 6 seconds and reduces its cooldown to only 60 seconds, allowing your ultimate to be ready in almost any team fight and while it may not contribute to your damage output very much it does increase your survivability by granting you stats and HP.
- In DotA, Faceless Void's alternate/fun name is Gorzerk.
- Chronosphere is able to pause units under the effect of Invoker's Tornado.
 Update history
- Fixed Backtrack working on HP Removal.
- Pseudo Random chances are now enabled for these abilities:
- Fixed Chronosphere not freezing invulnerable towers.
- Updated Faceless Void's Backtrack effect.
- Fixed Courier interaction with Chronosphere.
- Fixed Basher stacking with Spiritbreaker/Slardar/Faceless Void's bashes.
- Fixed evasion not being disabled properly under Doom/Chronosphere.
- Fixed Chronosphere's interaction with various passives.
- Fixed Chronosphere freezing other units you own.
- Chronosphere now properly affects siege weapons.
- Add new effect for Faceless Void's Chronosphere.
- Faceless Void's Time Walk and Backtrack effects now properly draw his time shifted form.
- Fixed Backtrack being able to avoid unique attack effects.
- Chronosphere now properly gives 1000/1000 flying vision.
- Chronosphere is now guaranteed to show for both teams.
- Chronosphere no longer pauses mechanicals or wards (except for Mass Serpent Wards, which are still paused).
- Fixed being able to Force Staff out of Chronosphere.
- Nerfed him by making Chronosphere actually show up for enemies.
- Faceless Void's Timewalk now affects all units he passes through, not just a radius at his destination. (6.72 parity)
- Fixed Chronosphere moving buildings.
- Fixed Chronosphere not affecting invulnerable towers.
- Added Faceless Void.
- Chronosphere now affects magic-immune units.
- Morphling's Waveform and Faceless Void's Timewalk will now continue previously-commanded movement properly (should no longer double-back after using those abilities).
 Balance changelog
- Chronosphere cooldown reduced from 120/110/100 to 120/100/80.
- You now have 1000 movement speed and phase while you are in Chronosphere.
- Time Walk manacost reduced from 120 to 90.
- Time Walk slow rescaled from 25/30/35/40% to 20/30/40/50%.
- Chronosphere AoE increased from 400 to 450.
- Time Lock deals twice as much damage when it procs on a target in Chronosphere.
- Faceless Void can no longer be frozen by any Chronosphere.
- Base HP regeneration increased from 0.25 to 0.75.
- Aghanim's upgraded Chronosphere cooldown decreased from 75 to 60.
- Chronosphere now reveals Invisible units.
- Chronosphere cast range improved from 500/550/600 to 600.
- Time Walk slow affects all units along his path, instead of just at the destination.
- Chronosphere duration rescaled from 3/4/5 to 4/4.5/5.
- Strength growth increased from 1.4 to 1.6.
- Time Walk slow increased from 10/20/30/40% to 25/30/35/40%.
- Time Walk cooldown rebalanced from 13 to 19/17/15/13.
- Improved base Strength (17->23).
- Added Faceless Void to Aghanim's Scepter. Lasts 1 second longer and slightly less cooldown.
- Reduced Chronosphere cooldown
- Rewrote Time Walk to keep constant speed (so its not slow motion when you click nearby).
- Lowered Faceless Void's strength gain.
- Improved Faceless Void's cast animation time.
- Rebalanced Chronosphere.
 See also