Experience in Dota 2 is given by a unit on the enemy team that dies. Experience is used to level up, and it takes increasingly more experience to level up as a hero's level progresses.
A few important things about experience:
- Experience is divided equally by all heroes in a 1300 range.
- Hero kills outside of 1300 range will give experience to the killer (This is in addition to the divided experience inside the 1300 range)
- Denied creeps grant reduced (36 xp) to all heroes within range.
- Denied heroes grant no experience or gold to anyone.
- Heroes take their share of experience even after level 25, even though they cannot use it.
- Building kills grant experience.
- Summoned units (units created by spells or items) give 50% experience.
- You cannot get experience while dead (with the exception of when you have a Bloodstone, which grants you experience in a 1000 radius of where you died until your next respawn)
A Hero levels up by acquiring experience points from enemies (including Creeps, Towers, and summoned units) which die nearby. When a Hero levels, its attributes get increased according to that Hero's individual attribute bonuses, and it gains ability point. The ability point can be spent on any of the Hero's spells which has not been maxed out, or to increase the hero's attributes by an additional 2 points each (Strength, Agility, and Intelligence). Ability points carry from level-to-level; if a Hero levels up multiple times without spending ability points, they are retained for future use.
The amount of experience required to level up is equal to the upcoming hero level * 100. For example, to increase a Hero's level from 1 to 2 (the first level "gained", as each Hero starts the game at level 1), a Hero requires 200 experience points, while levelling up from 24 to 25 requires 2500 experience points. Recently, this rule got an exception for reaching the levels 7 and 8, as they now require the same 600 experience as level 6. This oddity is ironed out by the unusual high 1200 xp required for level 9, after which the required experience for each level returns to the usual formula. The reason behind this is to help support-type heroes to sustain their usefulness throughout the midgame by making it easier to obtain a acceptable herolevel, so the difference to carry-type heroes of the enemy team is not as drastic during the first half of the match.
|Hero Level||Total experience required to reach level||Experience required for next level||Experience from killing creeps with a certain level|
Below is a table that shows the experience gained by one or more Heroes who are near a killed enemy Hero of a given level:
|Allied Heroes in Range||1||240||280||340||420||520||640||760||880||1000||1120||1240||1360||1480||1600||1720||1840||1960||2080||2200||2320||2440||2560||2680||2800||2920|
 Experience Formula
If 'x' is the level of the killed hero, the amount of experience gained is:
- 1 Hero:
- For levels 1-6: f(x) = f(x-1) + 20x; f(0) = 220;
- For levels 5 and further: f(x) = 120x - 80;
- 2 Heroes:
- For levels 1-6: f(x) = f(x-1) + 10x + 5; f(0) = 140;
- For levels 5 and further: f(x) = 65x - 10;
- 3 Heroes:
- For levels 1-6: f(x) = f(x-1) + (121/18)x; f(0) = 64+(1/6);
- For levels 5 and further: f(x) = (121x - 110)/3;
- 4 Heroes:
- For levels 1-6: f(x) = f(x-1) + 5x; f(0) = 45;
- For levels 5 and further: f(x) = 30x - 30;
- 5 Heroes:
- For levels 1-6: f(x) = f(x-1) + 4x; f(0) = 35;
- For levels 5 and further: f(x) = 24x - 25;
Note that both formulae in each hero number give same value of experience for levels 5 and 6.
Denying occurs when a hero lands a killing blow on an allied unit. Heroes can only target allied creeps if they are under 50% health, and can only target allied heroes if they are afflicted with certain debuffs. Enemy heroes in 1300 range of the denied unit receive 36/n experience where n is the total number of enemy heroes within the 1300 range. Denying an allied unit prevents the opponents from earning gold.
 Balance changelog
- XP AoE increased from 1200 to 1300
- Non-Ancient Neutrals now split XP with all heroes in the AoE instead of just the team that killed them
- Deny XP and Bonus XP/Gold AOE is now the same as regular XP AOE (1000->1200)
- 4 hero XP bonus changed from 15+6*Level to 20+5*level
- 5 hero XP bonus changed from 10+5*Level to 15+4*level
- Level 11 XP requirements reduced from 6500 to 6000
- Level 12 XP requirements increased from 7700 to 8200
- Total XP required for level 7 decreased from 2700 to 2600
- Total XP required for level 8 decreased from 3500 to 3200
- It still requires a total of 4400 XP to reach level 9
- Heroes now get XP if they get a kill outside of the standard XP range
- XP AoE increased from 1000 to 1200
- Rebalanced the assist Gold & XP system
- Most recent versions (since 6.55) have an extra portion of the gold/xp that is not a pure split like standard XP usually is.
- For XP "heroes" means the number of heroes in the area. "Level" always means the level of the dying target
- 6.68 Bonus XP:
- 1 Hero: 15*Level + 50
- 2 Heroes: 15*Level + 50
- 3 Heroes: 14*Level + 50
- 4 Heroes: 13*Level + 50
- 5 Heroes: 12*Level + 50
- 6.69 Bonus XP:
- 1 Hero: 20*Level + 120
- 2 Heroes: 15*Level + 90
- 3 Heroes: 7*Level + 30
- 4 Heroes: 6*Level + 15
- 5 Heroes: 5*Level + 10
- Minor adjustment (+50) to the extra aoe XP bounty
- The non-splitting xp/gold bonuses are now doubled for EM like the rest of the xp/bounty system is
- Increased the non-splitting portion of the xp/gold from 8/level xp & 40 gold to 12*level xp & 30+5*level
- Increased Hero Kill Experience bonus a little bit (+8 unshared experience per hero level in an area)