Enigma is a ranged intelligence hero who uses his abilities to cripple his enemies, supported by a seemingly inexhaustible army of creeps. His fearsome abilities can bind entire teams under his might. Enigma is also a formidable jungler and pusher owing to his ability to create creeps.
The deliverance of his ultimate, Black Hole, engulfs an area around him with dark energies and disables enemies caught within it, making him an extremely powerful yet conditional initiator and disabler. His Midnight Pulse consumes sections of enemies' life in a region over time and his Malefice stuns targets. His trademark ability is Demonic Conversion, which splits a creep into three eidolons under his control. If they can land enough attacks on an enemy unit before their expiration, they multiply and are healed to full health.
Bio[edit | edit source]
|Enigma, the Consumer of Worlds|
|Play "Chaos hunts the spark of endless suns, whose light will die in my crushing grasp."|
|Role:||Disabler / Jungler / Initiator / Pusher|
|Lore:|| Nothing is known of Enigma’s background. There are only stories and legends, most of them apocryphal, passed down through the ages. In truth, Enigma is a mystery for whom the only true biography is description: he is a universal force, a consumer of worlds. He is a being of the void, at times corporeal, other times ethereal. A beast between the planes.
There are stories that say he was once a great alchemist who tried to unlock the secrets of the universe and was cursed for his arrogance. Other legends tell that he is an ancient being of strange gravity, the abyss personified—a twisted voice from out the original darkness, before the first light in the universe. And there are older legends that say he is the first collapsed star, a black hole grown complicated and sentient—his motivations unknowable, his power inexorable, a force of destruction unleashed upon existence itself.
|Voice:||Jon St. John (Responses)|
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
When playing Enigma, it's important to wait at one of your lanes until 0:00 and use Demonic Conversion to take one of the creeps (preferably the ranged one) and then go back to base, regen up and then continue to the jungle. Once in the jungle, use Demonic Conversion to take the strongest creep you can and be sure to micro the damaged Eidolon away and take aggression off it so it can split and regen health. Continue until you have gotten your Core. At level 6 you can choose to go to the safe lane or the mid and gank with a Black Hole, which will help the lane a fair bit. Once you have your core try and take out a tower and then let the game go on. Continue to push a lot and remember to drop a Midnight Pulse before using Black Hole. If played correctly, Enigma can be a gravitational force to be reckoned with and will always place caution in the enemy.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
- Demonic Conversion kills the target unit, granting the gold and experience bounty, or resulting in a deny when cast on allied units.
- Attacking buildings or allied units does not count towards the number of attacks required to multiply, but attacking wards does.
- The attack is counted upon projectile launch, not upon hit, therefore, it does not matter whether the attack actually hits the target or not.
- Eidolons multiply upon their 7th attack projectile launch, regardless of whether the attack is a valid one (such as a building).
- When multiplying, the Eidolon's health is refreshed. Their duration is not refreshed.
- However, the splitting Eidolon's duration gets increased by 2 seconds.
- Eidolons can only multiply once. Eidolons which spawned through multiplication, cannot multiply.
- Midnight Pulse deals damage in 1 second instances, starting 1 second after cast, resulting in 11 instances.
- Can deal up to 33%/41.25%/49.5%/57.75% of the affected units' maximum health as damage (before reductions).
- Does not affect creep-heroes (except for Lone Druid
's Spirit Bear), ancient creeps, Roshan, wards and couriers.
- Successive casts of Midnight Pulse work fully independently from each other.
- Destroys trees within 550 radius at the target location upon cast.
- Spirals affected units counterclockwise towards the center at a speed of 30, resulting in a maximum possible distance of 120.
- The closer the units are to the center, the stronger they get pulled to the center, with almost no pull, but only rotation at max distance.
- Can pull affected units over impassable terrain and through trees without destroying them.
- Caught enemies cannot be pulled out by Force Staff
, Geomagnetic Grip or Snowball .
- The pull and disable are provided by an aura, which lingers for 0.5 seconds, or until the channeling stops, whichever is shorter.
- Deals damage in 1 second intervals, starting 1 second after cast, resulting in 4 instances.
- Can deal up to 200/400/600 ( + 12%/15%/18%/21% of max health) damage (before reductions).
- The Aghanim's Scepter
does not actually cause Midnight Pulse to be cast when using Black Hole, it just adds its damage to Black Hole:
- The extra damage is equal to the current level of Midnight Pulse, so if not learned, Black Hole deals no extra damage.
- The extra damage is dealt in separate instances, in the same intervals as Black Hole's damage, resulting in 8 total instances together with Black Hole's regular damage.
- The extra damage is dealt across the whole radius of Black Hole and lasts for the duration of Black Hole.
- The extra damage stacks with any previously cast Midnight Pulse and deals pure damage.
- Unlike the Midnight Pulse skill, the upgrade's pulse damage hits ancient creeps, couriers and creep-heroes.
- Also unlike Midnight Pulse, it does not destroy trees in the area upon cast.
- Provides 800 range ground vision at the targeted point for 4 seconds upon cast.
Talents[edit | edit source]
| +8 Demonic Conversion
|-40s Respawn Time||20||+300 Health|
|+120 Gold/Min||15||15% Cooldown Reduction|
|+12% Magic Resistance||10||+20 Movement Speed|
- The magic resistance stacks multiplicatively with other sources of magic resistance.
- Cooldown reduction affects abilities and items. Stacks multiplicatively with Octarine Core
and additively with Arcane Rune .
- Upgrading health increases maximum health capacity and keeps the current health percentage.
- Respawn reductions cannot reduce respawn time below 1 second.
- The armor is added as bonus armor, and therefore does not benefit illusions.
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
- Enigma needs lots of Clarity
potions early in the game to farm the jungle consistently.
is useful when you are out of mana and Clarities.
- Enigma does not need many items to jungle efficiently at level 1, so he can afford to buy the Animal Courier
- Magic Stick
helps in the jungle since it gains charges from neutral creeps casting their abilities.
- Ring of Basilius
gives mana regeneration and armor for Enigma and his Eidolons, and can be later built into a Vladmir's Offering if you are going for a pusher role.
- Soul Ring
is a great source of mana, allowing him to use his Demonic Conversion as often as possible. Enigma does not often go close to enemies since his abilities and his Eidolons have a relatively reliable range.
- Boots of Speed
help you getting into position to use Black Hole .
- Magic Wand
is a cost effective upgrade from Magic Stick.
- Tranquil Boots
give high health regeneration in early levels, which can be used in between creep farming in the jungle, or during since Enigma has his Eidolons to tank for him. The high speed also enables Enigma to roam quickly in search for other creep camps, or to help gank.
- Blink Dagger
helps your positioning greatly and helps to pull off a good Black Hole .
is an inexpensive item that gives you more durability while you are channeling Black Hole .
- Aether Lens
grants him additional range, allowing him to land his ultimate perhaps at much quicker speed without having to walk toward the team, and also to keep him out of harm's way if there is a nearby enemy that is not caught by his ultimate.
is highly recommended, as Enigma can farm very quickly in the early stages of the game, is relatively item independent, and has a large mana pool, all of which are traits of a strong Mekansm carrier. The added armor, health regen, and active heal can also aid Enigma's Eidolons, and is very effective and needed to buff or remedy hurt allies in teamfights.
- Black King Bar
is essential if the enemy team can easily interrupt your Black Hole , although you must keep in mind if the offending abilities are blocked by spell immunity.
- Refresher Orb
gives Enigma high health and mana regen. The active is also very useful, which can be used either in case the first Black Hole failed, or another teamfight broke out sooner than expected.
- Aghanim's Scepter
greatly increases the effectiveness of Enigma's Black Hole , as well as much needed stats to remedy his health and mana pools.
- Scythe of Vyse
provides an intense increase to mana regeneration, and adds a much needed secondary disable that does not have a casting delay.
- Shiva's Guard
also gives Enigma some mana management bonuses, and its active ability synergizes well with Black Hole .
synergizes well with his damage over time spells like Midnight Pulse or Black Hole . It also helps him to earn gold faster.
- And if no one else is planning to, or Enigma is the least item dependent Hero in the team, buying a Flying Courier
benefits the team greatly.
- Guardian Greaves
allows a slot to be freed, provides a steady supply of health and mana regeneration to the team, and increases Enigma's survivability.
- Linken's Sphere
is an alternative to Black King Bar for when the enemy team has disables that ignore spell immunity, such as Primal Roar .
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Audio[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Many of Enigma's responses are references to Friedrich Nietzsche's works; the line, Play "I stare also into you." references a passage in Beyond Good and Evil, where it is stated that "And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you".
- Enigma's rival line towards Faceless Void
Play "Even time may fail in the face of gravity.'" is a reference to the time dilating effect of gravity.
- Many of Enigma's responses are also references to concepts in cosmology (the Big Bang, gravity wells, redshifts, and black holes) or particle physics (path integrals, universal constants).
- In DotA, Enigma's hero name was Darchrow. In the transition to Dota 2, his name was removed, most likely to emphasize his hero title.
, Io , Keeper of the Light and Chaos Knight together represent the four fundamental forces of the universe with Enigma representing the gravitational force. This is reflected in several of Enigma's responses to these heroes. Play "The Fundamentals unite."
- The term "eidolon" comes from ancient greek literature, where it refers to a human-like phantom, the shade of one who died.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Model before Version 7.00