Xin the Ember Spirit is a highly mobile and versatile melee Agility carry, whose abilities make him a very slippery foe and enable him to dance around his enemies at will. His skill set allows for incredibly aggressive assaults on other heroes, as he can engage on them from long range using Sleight of Fist, and tie them down with Searing Chains to halt their movements. His Flame Guard ability deals damage while active and shields Xin from magic nukes, making him a force to be reckoned with by enemy casters. And finally, his Fire Remnant spell allows him to engage, escape or move instantaneously around the map, allowing him to show up where the enemy least expects and disappear just as quickly.
Despite a good HP pool early on, he lacks armor and a sizable mana pool, making him quite frail and easy to bring down with physical damage if caught or disabled. However, with good item choices and proper judgement, Ember Spirit can engage his foes using his speed and disables, dominating the battlefield with blinding speed. While he has only a limited presence in the early and mid game, in time Xin becomes a dangerous opponent even on his own, proving to friend and foe alike that for them, there is still much to be learned.
Bio[edit | edit source]
Abilities[edit | edit source]
- Searing Chains interrupts Ember Spirit's channeling spells upon cast.
- Roots 2 random enemy units within the radius. There are no priorities.
- Affected units can still turn, cast most spells, use items and attack. Affected units receive a stop command upon getting rooted.
- Interrupts channeling spells of the target upon ensnaring, but affected units can channel spells during it.
- Searing Chains does not reveal invisible units for their duration.
- Does not target invisible units or units in the Fog of War.
- Deals damage in 1 second intervals, starting 1 second after cast.
- Ember Spirit is invulnerable and hidden during Sleight of Fist. Does not disjoint projectiles upon cast.
- Upon cast, all targets within the area are marked. A flaming sword appears above them as an indicator, which lasts until they get hit.
- All targets are determined upon cast. Entering or leaving the area after cast has no effect.
- Sleight of Fist has no range limit. Once a target is marked, it cannot escape Sleight of Fist with distance.
- Does not affect invisible units. When a marked unit turns invisible, it gets fully skipped if it is still invisible on its turn.
- Fully affects units in the Fog of War. Fogged units do get marked on cast, and get hit as well.
- Jumps in 0.2 second intervals. The jumps are random between all marked units, there are no priorities.
- Makes Ember Spirit perform an instant attack on each jump against the targets.
- During Sleight of Fist, Ember Spirit does not need to turn to cast targeted spells or items.
- After all marked targets have been slashed, Ember Spirit returns to the position he had upon casting Sleight of Fist.
- That position is marked by a remnant for the duration.
- Flame Guard interrupts Ember Spirit's channeling spells upon cast.
- Deals 6/8/10/12 damage in 0.2 seconds intervals, starting 0.2 seconds after cast.
- Can deal a total of 240/480/800/1200 damage to a single unit (before reductions), assuming a max duration Flame Guard.
- Blocks damage before any reductions, except when spell immune, during which it does not block any magical damage.
- Recasting Flame Guard refreshes the buff and resets the barrier's absorb capacity.
- Does not stack with other magical damage barriers.
- If multiple sources of barriers are active on a unit, all of them lose capacity from the same absorbed damage instance.
- Ember Spirit gets all 3 charges immediately upon learning Fire Remnant.
- The cast of Fire Remnant is not registered as a spell cast and thus does not proc any on-cast effects.
- Fire Remnants move to their targeted location at a speed of 250% of Ember Spirit's movement speed.
- The speed is set upon cast and does not adapt.
- Since Fire Remnants last for 45 seconds and the replenish time is 35 seconds, it is possible to have 4 remnants up at a time.
- Every time a Fire Remnant is placed, Ember Spirit gets a status buff, showing the duration of the remnant. The status buff disappears once the Remnant expires or is used.
- Fire Remnants are visible to everyone. They do not grant any vision and thus cannot be seen when sent into the Fog of War.
- Fire Remnants deal no damage when they expire.
- Ember Spirit moves to a Fire Remnant with a speed of 1300, or reaches it in 0.4 seconds, whichever is faster.
- Ember Spirit is invulnerable while traveling to a Fire Remnant.
- Activate Fire Remnant always costs 150 mana, no matter if Ember Spirit has to travel to 1, 2, 3 or 4 Fire Remnants.
- Does not disjoint projectiles that are traveling towards Ember Spirit when he casts this spell.
- While traveling, Ember Spirit can attack, cast spells and use items.
- Forced movement cancels the movement of Activate Fire Remnant and removes its invulnerability.
- However, the remnants still get used up and Ember Spirit gets instantly moved to the last one's location once it explodes.
- Always travels to the Fire Remnant furthest away from the targeted point first.
- The damage is dealt around each Fire Remnant upon reaching them.
- Destroys trees within 200 radius around Ember Spirit while traveling to a remnant.
- Though at high speeds, some trees may be skipped.
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
- Tango and a Healing Salve help Ember Spirit sustain during the laning phase, preventing him from being forced to return to base due to enemy harassment.
- Clarity will allow Ember Spirit to refresh his mana after a gank from an ally, as he has a relatively small mana pool.
- Iron Branch is a cheap and effective way to improve Ember Spirit's mana pool and health pool, both of which are lacking in the early game.
- Stout Shield is recommended as it will significantly reduce the enemy's auto-attack harass potential, meaning Ember Spirit is able to sustain longer in lane.
- Boots of Speed are essential for Ember Spirit, as the improved speed will allow him to escape deadly situations, as well as catch up to an escaping enemy. It also improves his ability to successfully catch an escaping hero with Searing Chains.
- Bracer will give Ember Spirit good stats all around, most importantly more HP. It can be upgraded into a Drum of Endurance.
- Bottle gives Ember Spirit a way to sustain his HP and mana, allowing him to remain out in the field to farm or fight. It is best purchased if Ember Spirit is played as a mid hero, as he can access runes more easily.
- Town Portal Scroll should be carried at all times by all heroes. TP scrolls allow Ember Spirit to move around the map to find farm and reach fights and ganks quickly, as his spells make him a force to be reckoned with in any engagement. As Xin also possesses Fire Remnant, combining the two can give him strong global mobility.
- Boots of Travel can be a powerful purchase on Ember Spirit in the mid-game. Aside from freeing up an inventory slot and saving gold from not having to constantly purchase Town Portal Scrolls, the increased movement speed gives Ember Spirit increased mobility, allowing him to chase down enemies more easily. As well, the teleport increases Xin's global presence, especially when combined with Fire Remnants, as he can make quick returns to base to grab items or replenish HP and mana, assist in gank opportunities on other parts of the map, and so on.
- Drum of Endurance, gives Ember Spirit all-around stats, shoring up his HP and mana pool as well as giving him increased damage, which combined with the aura allows him to engage in teamfights earlier. The bonus movement speed increases his mobility, allowing him to position himself to use his spells more easily.
- Battle Fury is a highly potent item in Ember Spirit's hands, both for farming and fighting. The HP and mana regen help to keep him topped up, allowing him to farm jungle camps using his spells and ensuring that he can enter fights will full HP and mana. The cleave allows him to farm creeps more easily, and can inflict vast amounts of damage to the enemy team when combined with Sleight of Fist.
- A second Battle Fury, and possibly a third or more, is very powerful on Xin. Increasing the cleave percentage as well as the amount of damage he deals with each strike allows Ember Spirit to inflict tremendous amounts of physical damage using Sleight of Fist, potentially resulting in multi-kills against the enemy team if they are clustered together.
- Daedalus is a very powerful item that provides Ember Spirit with additional damage and a chance to deal 2.2x damage on an attack. It synergizes extremely well with Sleight of Fist, allowing for powerful damage output at a distance.
- Black King Bar is a must-have item in the face of heavy disables. As he can be killed very quickly if ever stunned or silenced, spell immunity allows Ember Spirit to engage the enemy head-on and ignore their disables while fighting, giving him a bigger damage window before he needs to retreat. As well, it gives him additional strength, increasing the size of his HP pool, as well as more raw damage.
- Eye of Skadi provides Ember Spirit with stats across the board, greatly increasing his survivability and offensive potential. Combined with Sleight of Fist, he can inflict the slow to multiple enemy heroes at once, through spell immunity, slowing them down drastically and preventing them from chasing, escaping or spreading out as quickly.
- Desolator is a strong mid-game item that gives Ember Spirit more damage output and is relatively cheap to farm. On top of the bonus damage, its Unique Attack Modifier reduces the armor of any attacked enemy, making it a strong item to combine with Sleight of Fist.
- Assault Cuirass increases Ember Spirit's damage output while also negating his weakness to physical damage. The increased armor and attack speed mitigate his low agility growth, giving him stronger presence on the battlefield. The aura helps give allies more armor and attack speed, and reduces enemy armor as well, making them more vulnerable to Sleight of Fist strikes.
- Mjollnir offer a very large amount of attack speed, synergizing very well with other damage items Ember Spirit may have. The Chain Lightning effect will not only allow Ember Spirit to farm neutral camps and push lanes faster, but also deal significant damage to all enemy heroes in a fight, as its proc chance increases drastically when combined with Sleight of Fist. The Static Charge ability can be used to discourage enemies from attacking Ember Spirit as well, for fear of proccing the discharge.
- Satanic greatly increases Ember Spirit's survivability in fights. The lifesteal, on top of allowing him to farm more easily, also procs during Sleight of Fist, allowing Xin to lifesteal drastic amounts of HP in fights, especially when the active ability is used. The increased strength and armor also give him more survivability against physical damage, making him harder to kill if he is ever caught.
- Orb of Venom in the early game can help Ember Spirit to chase down enemies. Combined with an early level in Sleight of Fist, the slow modifier can be applied to multiple enemies at once, slowing them down from range. It can either be sold once another Unique Attack Modifier is purchased, or kept to build into an Eye of Skadi.
- Ring of Aquila can be a useful early-game pickup, as the increased agility, damage and armor give Ember Spirit more last-hitting power and protection against physical damage, while the small amount of mana regen can allow him to use his spells more often.
- Blink Dagger is very situational, but can drastically increase Ember Spirit's mobility, allowing him to initiate on enemies without having to use a Fire Remnant. It also allows him to move around the map more quickly and bypass trees and terrain, which lets him catch enemies unaware or run from fights more easily. Judicious use of Sleight of Fist or Fire Remnants can allow Xin to dodge enemy attacks to prevent it from going on cooldown from player-based damage, while Flame Guard does the same for magical damage.
- Shadow Blade increases Ember Spirit's physical DPS, and gives him an additional method with which to initiate on enemies during ganks. As well, if Sleight of Fist is cast during the 0.3 second fade time, Ember Spirit will deal the 175 bonus damage to all slashed targets and remain invisible upon returning to the remnant. However, beware that this tactic does not apply to Silver Edge.
- Manta Style gives Ember Spirit a measure of defense against silences, as he can instantly purge off debuffs while also creating two illusions with which to confuse the enemy. The item itself also provides very useful bonuses, giving him all-around stats, more agility and attack speed, and a movement speed bonus that increases his mobility. Finally, as items can be used during Sleight of Fist, combining this item, Sleight of Fist and Searing Chains can allow Ember Spirit to root and place illusions near a target from long range.
- Linken's Sphere gives Ember Spirit stats across the board, as well as passive HP and mana regen. The spellblock allows Ember Spirit to shrug off one targeted spell during a fight, hopefully a targeted disable, increasing his slipperiness and allowing him to fight without fear of being disabled.
- Monkey King Bar is a strong damage item that also provides True Strike, eliminating any possibility of the enemy evading his Sleight of Fist slashes via evasion or blind. It can be a powerful purchase in the face of enemies purchasing evasion or when facing enemies with blind spells, and the mini-bash proc can allow Ember Spirit to deal even more damage during Sleight of Fist.
- Butterfly can be very powerful in the hands of Ember Spirit, as it grants him evasion while also increasing his physical DPS. The passive evasion decreases his vulnerability against physical damage, while the active can give him more mobility to flee from a fight or chase an enemy down.
- Divine Rapier is one of the strongest items that Ember Spirit can purchase, as, combined with a cleave and crit, can allow him to deal absurd amounts of physical damage to the entire enemy team during Sleight of Fist. While it is extremely expensive and extremely risky due to the possibility of giving it to the enemy upon being killed, Ember Spirit's ability to evade the enemy and avoid damage allow him to push this item to its limit and emerge victorious.
- Phase Boots give Ember Spirit the mobility to chase or escape engagements. The raw bonus damage also increases the potency of Sleight of Fist in the early/mid game, as each target will take increased damage.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Audio[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Ember Spirit, like Brewmaster, Earth Spirit and Storm Spirit, was a Pandaren in DotA. However, he was re-skinned to avoid copyright issues with Blizzard Entertainment, since Pandaren are a race of creatures in the Warcraft Universe.
- Most of Ember Spirit's unit responses are exactly four words long, a reference to the traditional Chinese proverbs also known as ChengYu. According to Xin, himself: Play "Four words is plenty."