19 + 2.0
22 + 1.8
20 + 1.8
| Hit Points
| Attacks / Second
|Base Attack Time
Xin the Ember Spirit is a highly mobile melee Agility carry, whose abilities enable him to also play as an initiator or ganker. His skill set allows for incredibly aggressive assaults on other heroes, dealing extraordinary amounts of damage in a relatively small window of time, and then escaping to safety. Despite a good HP pool early on, he lacks armor and a sizable mana pool, and as such may be unable to escape quickly enough if caught out of position. However, with good item choices and proper judgement, Ember Spirit can quickly snowball out of control, dominating the battlefield with blinding speed as he cheats death. While he has only a limited presence in the early and mid game, in time Xin becomes a dangerous opponent even on his own, proving to friend and foe alike that for them, there is still much to be learned.
| Xin, the Ember Spirit
| Play "Xin's teachings shall endure."
|| Carry / Nuker / Disabler / Durable
|| Lost within the Wailing Mountains, the Fortress of Flares lay abandoned, its training halls empty, its courtyard covered in leaves and dust. Upon a dais in its sealed temple rests a topaz cauldron filled with ancient ash, remnants of a pyre for the warrior-poet Xin. For three generations, Xin taught his acolytes the Bonds of the Guardian Flame, a series of mantras to train the mind and body for the harsh realities beyond the fortress walls. However, in teaching a warrior's way he earned a warrior's rivals, and in his autumn Xin was bested and slain. His followers spread to the wind. Yet as years turned to centuries and followers to descendants, his teachings endured by subtle whisper and deed. Touched by the teacher's lasting legacy, the Burning Celestial, inquisitive aspect of fire, cast himself to the Fortress of Flares and reignited the pyre ash. From these glowing embers emerged an image of Xin, wreathed in flame, his thoughtful countenance prepared to train and to teach, and to spread the fires of knowledge to all who seek guidance.
|| Dave Fennoy (Responses)
- Targets are chosen randomly around Ember Spirit.
- Interrupts channeling spells.
- Deals damage every 1 second.
- Targets are determined when the ability is cast.
- A regular attack is done to each target every 0.2 seconds.
- Hits enemies/neutrals in the AoE, even if they're in fog.
- Hits enemies that are targeted, even if they leave the AoE (by teleport, blink, etc.)
- Does not target invisible units and becoming invisible while marked will remove it and prevent being hit.
- Other abilities may be used even if Sleight of Fist is still active.
- Attempting to activate Fire Remnant, teleport, blink or use Force Staff while the ability is still active will not cancel the ability. Ember Spirit will still return to his original casting position once the ability ends.
- Miss chance from abilities such as Brewmaster's Drunken Haze or the target's evasion apply normally.
- It is possible to grab dropped items during Sleight of Fist.
- The amount of magic damage absorbed is calculated before any reductions.
- Can deal up to 240/480/800/1200 possible damage for the whole duration.
- Deals damage every 0.2 second. 6/8/10/12 damage per tick.
- Ember Spirit moves to each Fire Remnant at 1300 movement speed, or in 0.4 seconds, whichever is faster.
- 150 mana per use, not per Fire Remnant.
- Breaks trees that Ember Spirit collides with while dashing.
| Fire Remnant
| Ember Spirit generates Fire Remnant charges every 35 seconds, with a max of 3 charges. Releasing a charge sends a Fire Remnant that runs to the target location at 2.5x Ember Spirit's speed. Using Activate Fire Remnant, Ember Spirit can dash out to his Remnants, exploding them for area of effect damage. The targeted Remnant will be arrived at last.
| Remnant Charges: 3|
Remnant Charge Replenish Time: 35 seconds
Remnant Duration: 45 seconds
Remnant Cast Range: 1500
Remnant Damage: 100/150/200
|By the spirit's power are Xin's teachings spread anew.
- Starts with 3 charges (the maximum), and replenishes a charge every 35 seconds.
- Fire Remnants move to their targeted location at 2.5 × Ember Spirit's speed.
- Fire Remnants last 45 seconds or until they are fused with.
- Fire Remnants have 400 night/day vision.
 Recommended items
- Tango and a Healing Salve help Ember Spirit sustain during the laning phase, preventing him from returning to base due to enemy harassment.
- Clarity will allow Ember Spirit to refresh his mana after a gank from an ally, as he has a relatively small mana pool.
- Iron Branch is a cheap and effective way to improve Ember Spirit's mana pool and health pool, both of which are lacking in the early game.
- Stout Shield is recommended as it will significantly reduce the enemy's auto-attack harass potential, meaning Ember Spirit is able to sustain longer in lane.
- Boots of Speed are essential for Ember Spirit, as the improved speed will allow him to escape deadly situations, as well as catch up to an escaping enemy. It also improved his ability to successfully catch an escaping hero with Searing Chains.
- Bracer will give Ember Spirit extra health, as his health pool is lacking in the early game. It can also be assembled into Drum of Endurance.
- Bottle will give Ember Spirit the bonus health and mana regeneration he so desperately needs. However, the Bottle cannot be used to it's full potential without Runes, so it is advised when Ember Spirit is in the middle lane.
- Phase Boots give Ember Spirit even more mobility, giving him an easier time escaping and catching up to enemies. Ember Spirit also benefits from the raw +24 damage given by the Phase Boots, as this amplifies his Sleight of Fist significantly in the early/mid game.
- Drum of Endurance, similar to Phase Boots, give Ember Spirit enhanced mobility not only for himself, but also for nearby allies. The +14 attack speed (24 when active) also synergizes well with the damage from Phase Boots, increasing his damage per second for a cheap price.
- Battle Fury helps Ember Spirit in many ways. The health and mana regeneration given by the Perseverance allows Ember Spirit to sustain in either the jungle or the lane, meaning less return trips to the fountain to heal. Both the +65 damage and the Cleave effect of the Battlefury not only aids Ember Spirit in farming creeps, but synergize well with his Sleight of Fist, allowing him to cleave every enemy hero at a distance without putting himself in danger.
- Town Portal Scroll are essential for cross-map transportation. TP scrolls allow Ember Spirit to return to lane quicker after a death, meaning he misses out on less experience in the lane. They can also be used to quickly jump into a fight or defend a tower in a different lane. It synergizes well with Fire Remnant, giving Ember Spirit good global mobility.
- Daedalus is an effective item which provides Ember Spirit with an additional +81 raw damage and a 25% chance to deal 240% damage on his attack. This synergizes very will with Sleight of Fist, allowing for powerful damage output at a distance.
- Black King Bar is recommended when facing a team with high magic damage output or long stun times. Against such a team, the Black King Bar will greatly increase survivability, allowing Ember Spirit to deal damage without being stunned or nuked down by magical damage.
- Eye of Skadi is useful against a team with high mobility heroes, as the 35% slow allows for an easier time catching up, as well as making a successful escape from ganks or failed fights. It synergizes well with Sleight of Fist, as the slow will apply to each hero in the Sleight of Fist radius.
- Desolator is another good item to increase Ember Spirit's damage output. Not only does it provide +60 damage, but a 7 armor reduction, leading to increased effectiveness of Ember Spirits existing damage. It synergizes well with Sleight of Fist as the armor reduction debuff will be applied to each hero in the Sleight of First radius.
- Assault Cuirass gives Ember Spirit a large amount of attack speed to both him and his allies, synergizing well with other damage items he already has. The added armor will also make Ember Spirit and his allies more difficult to kill using physical attacks. The 5 armor reduction aura will also increase the damage dealt with his team's physical attacks.
- Mjollnir offer a very large amount of attack speed, synergizing very well with other damage items Ember Spirit may have. The Chain Lightning effect will not only allow Ember Spirit to farm neutral camps and push lanes faster, but also deal significant damage to all enemy heroes in a fight. The Static Charge effect can also be the enemy team's primary target (either you or a more important ally), meaning the enemy team will take a lot of damage trying to focus down said hero.
- Satanic offers a 25% passive lifesteal, and 200% when active, making this a good way for Ember Spirit to stay alive in a fight. The +25 strength also gives Ember Spirit a much needed health pool increase. The Satanic also synergizes well with Ember Spirit's Sleight of Fist, as he can use Sleight of Fist to attack each member of the enemy team while the Satanic is active, stealing a large amount of health.
- Searing Chains is most effective when you're against one or two enemies, since the targets are chosen randomly in an area around you.
- Sleight of Fist is perfect against multiple enemy Heroes, since it hits all the targets in the area for full damage and makes you invulnerable in the meantime. Max it when teamfights start, so that the affected area will be bigger and the cooldown will be shorter.
- Flame Guard has two utilizations: it can be either used to deal consistent damage during ganks or to make you partially immune to magical damage. Be wary, though, that the damage over time effect will be lost if you reach the damage reduction threshold.
- Fire Remnant is a versatile spell. It can be used to:
- close the gap between you and the enemy;
- escape by sending the Remnant to a safe position, and then returning to it if in danger;
- deal high damage by sending 3 Remnants quickly near the opponent(s), and then dashing to them;
- quickly return to battle (place a Remnant, use a TP Scroll, refill your health and mana, dash to the Remnant);
- gain vision of an area;
- scare your enemies by placing a Remnant close to them;
- return to a team-fight after using buy back.
- Xin is relatively squishy early on. You should level up Flame Guard first in order to soak up magical damage and deal your own.
- While Sleight of Fist can be maxed early to harass and outlane the opponent, it's almost useless in 1 VS 1 situations.
- Don't place many Fire Remnants in a short window of time, unless you want to finish an enemy. Usually, one is enough to chase and close a gap.
- Phase Boots synergize well with Xin's skill set, since you'll be able to chase your enemies more easily and burn them with Flame Guard, but if you find yourself low on mana too often, consider going for Arcane Boots.
- A fast Desolator means that your Sleight of Fist will deal constant high damage; Drum of Endurance lets you chase better and gives health and mana, which are very important for Ember Spirit; Battle Fury's cleave is really effective with Sleight of Fist, and the regeneration it provides is immensely useful.
- Stacking Battle Furies is actually viable on Ember Spirit, since Sleight of Fist has a low cooldown and can affect the whole enemy team.
- After your first core item, consider going for items like Daedalus and Maelstrom/Mjollnir since they'll greatly increase your damage per second while using your second ability, Sleight of Fist.
- If you are planning on stacking more than two Battle Fury, bear in mind that your second one will increase your cleave damage by 100%, and your third by 50%. Getting a fourth is not recommended as it increases the damage by 33.3% in relation to your current Cleave damage, and as such, it is better to get a Daedalus as the critical chance grants approximately a 35% overall damage increase, as well as making you more viable in a 1v1 situation.
- Ember Spirit, like Brewmaster, Storm Spirit and Earth Spirit, was a Pandaren in DotA. However, he was re-skinned to avoid copyright issues with Blizzard, since Pandaren are a race of creatures in the Warcraft Universe.
- Most of Ember Spirit's unit responses are exactly four words long, a reference to the traditional Chinese proverbs also known as ChengYu. According to Xin, himself: Play "Four words is plenty."
 Update history
 Balance changelog
- Searing Chains duration reduced from 2/2/3/3 to 1/2/2/3.
- Total damage is still 80/120/240/300.
- Sleight of Fist bonus damage reduced from 30/60/90/120 to 20/40/60/80.
- Flame Guard DPS increased from 30/35/40/45 to 30/40/50/60.
- Added to Captain's Mode.
- Armor decreased by 1.
- Fire Remnant recharge time increased from 30 to 35 seconds.
- Fire Remnant damage per instance from 120/160/200 to 100/150/200.
- Armor reduced by 1.
- Base Strength decreased from 21 to 19.
- Flame Guard health barrier reduced from 100/250/400/550 to 50/200/350/500.
- Fire Remnant damage decreased from 140/180/220 to 120/160/200.
- Searing Chains targets decreased from 3 to 2 random units.
- Fire Remnant activation cost increased from 100 to 150.
- Flame Guard magic barrier reduced from 150/300/450/600 to 100/250/400/550.
 See also