Elder Titan is perhaps best known for his ability Astral Spirit, which sends forth an image of himself that damages enemies that it passes through, and upon returning to Elder Titan boosts his attack damage and movement speed, making him a fearsome melee fighter. Possessing a channeled sleep in Echo Stomp, Elder Titan is also capable of knocking out his foes for an extended period of time if they are caught within its radius; Astral Spirit also allows him to cast this ability and disable large groups of enemies from afar, making him one of the few initiators that does not require a Blink Dagger. This combination creates a perfect setup for his powerful ultimate Earth Splitter, which damages enemies based on their maximum HP and slows their movement speed. This, along with his ability to lower his enemies' physical and magical resistance with his Natural Order aura, makes Elder Titan scale well through his abilities and be effective at all stages of the game. As the progenitor of this world, Elder Titan reshapes the battlefield on a whim and can turn any teamfight in his favor.
Bio[edit | edit source]
Abilities[edit | edit source]
- Applies a sleep on affected units, preventing them from acting, until woken up.
- When the Astral Spirit is summoned, it performs the stomp perfectly synchronized with Elder Titan.
- The physical damage is dealt around Elder Titan, while the magical damage around the spirit.
- The sleep is applied in the radius around Elder Titan and the spirit. If the radii overlap, the duration does not stack up.
- If the spirit is not summoned or Astral Spirit is not learned, both magical and physical damage are centered around Elder Titan.
- The Astral Spirit has this ability as well (with a different icon). Ordering the spirit to cast it forces Elder Titan to cast his part.
- When being cast on the spirit while Elder Titan is disabled, it goes on cooldown for the spirit and does nothing.
- However, Elder Titan can still use it afterwards and the spirit still mimics, despite its own being on cooldown.
- When Elder Titan casts Echo Stomp while the Astral Spirit is disabled (e.g. inside Chronosphere), it still casts its part.
- Echo Stomp cannot be cancelled by ordering the spirit to stop. During the Echo Stomp animation, the spirit cannot act.
- Affected units cannot be woken up for the initial 0.8 seconds of the sleep.
- Knocked out units are never automatically attacked, regardless of settings. A forced attack order is required to attack them.
- Only player-based damage can wake up affected units, the only exception being Elder Titan's own Astral Spirit.
- The spirit is controllable by Elder Titan until the end of its duration.
- Other players cannot select the spirit, so it cannot be used to prevent selecting other units behind it.
- The spirit cannot intercept any spell (e.g. Meat Hook, Sacred Arrow, Hookshot).
- This is because the spirit's unit type and its invulnerability, making almost every spell ignore it.
- The only abilities being able to target it are Dark Rift and Boots of Travel, as they can target units of that type and invulnerable units.
- The only ability affecting the spirit is the Swiftness Aura from Drum of Endurance.
- The spirit's movement speed is set equal to Elder Titan's movement speed once upon cast and does not adapt to it afterwards.
- If Natural Order is learnt, the aura's debuff is always applied before the Astral Spirit's damage, effectively increasing it.
- The Astral Spirit unites with Elder Titan when it comes within 100 range of him, meaning just walking through it returns it as well.
- Casting Echo Stomp while the spirit returns forces the spirit to stop and cast his part. It continues returning once the cast finishes.
- Upon having returned, Elder Titan receives the
, which grants him damage and speed based on the hit enemies.
- If the buff is still present on a recast, it gets refreshed, but not updated, upon returning the spirit again.
- If no enemies were hit, the buff is not placed, nor is an already existing buff getting refreshed.
- The Astral Spirit does not block neutral creep camps.
- Replaces Astral Spirit until the spirit unites with Elder Titan again, or until Elder Titan dies.
- The cast of Return Astral Spirit is not registered as a spell cast and thus does not proc any on-cast effects.
- Return Astral Spirit does not interrupt Elder Titan's channeling spells upon cast.
- The Astral Spirit possesses this ability as well.
- Elder Titan cannot cast this while disabled, however, the Astral Spirit can while Elder Titan is disabled.
- The Astral Spirit moves back with a speed of 600.
- Armor reduction is based on the affected units' base armor and armor granted by agility. Direct armor bonuses is ignored.
- Magic resistance reduction is based on the affected units' base magic resistance. Magic resistance bonuses are ignored.
- This means, for heroes with 25% base magic resistance, it reduces magic resistance by 10%/15%/20%/25%, down to 15%/10%/5%/0%.
- For Visage, who has 10% base magic resistance, it reduces magic resistance by 4%/6%/8%/10%, down to 6%/4%/2%/0%.
- For Meepo, who has 35% base magic resistance, it reduces magic resistance by 14%/21%/28%/35%, down to 21%/14%/7%/0%.
- Adapts the armor reduction based on how the affected units' armor changes due to agility loss or gain in 0.5 second intervals.
- When the Astral Spirit is summoned, the magic resistance reduction is centered around it, while the armor reduction around Elder Titan.
- If the spirit is not summoned or Astral Spirit is not learned, both armor and magic resistance reduction are centered around Elder Titan.
- The aura's debuff lingers for 1 second.
- However, if Astral Spirit gets cast, enemies around Elder Titan who are not within range of the spirit's aura immediately lose the magic resistance reducing debuff.
- Deals 15%/20%/25% of the affected units' max health as physical damage, and 15%/20%/25% as magical damage.
- The crack extends at a speed of 910.
- Can hit units up to 2400 range away (2100 distance + 300 radius).
- Also affects units up to 300 range behind Elder Titan's cast position.
- The crack visually extends up to 2600 distance, but the actual effects stop at 2100.
- Affected units are instantly pulled towards the crack once it implodes.
- The pull interrupts channeling spells.
- Does not affect Roshan.
Talents[edit | edit source]
|+80 Astral Spirit Hero Attack||25||+15 Armor|
|+50 Attack Speed||20||+12% Magic Resistance|
|+25% XP Gain||15||+275 Health|
|+10 Strength||10||-20s Respawn Time|
- Respawn reductions cannot reduce respawn time below 1 second.
- Upgrading health increases maximum health capacity and keeps the current health percentage.
- The magic resistance stacks multiplicatively with other sources of magic resistance.
- The armor is added as bonus armor, and therefore does not benefit illusions.
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
- Tangos and Healing Salve are minimum health regen requirements. They should be purchased in order to offset any harass damage you take.
- Clarity is useful because Elder Titan's spells are quite costly, and casting one or two spells will drain a significant portion of it. As such, having mana regen can allow you to cast more than just three spells before running dry.
- Stout Shield is very useful on Elder Titan, as he has decent strength and armor, and is a melee hero who can get easily harassed when walking up for last-hits.
- Boots of Speed are essential early on for Elder Titan, especially in the off-lane. It serves the primary purpose of allowing him to evade ganks by the enemy supports, but also allows him to get in position for his spells more quickly. As well, it improves the mobility of Astral Spirit, which is based on Elder Titan's own movement speed.
- Magic Stick allows Elder Titan to benefit from burst HP and mana regen. In emergency situations, a full-charge Magic Stick can allow Elder Titan to cast any of his non-ultimate spells one more time, and can allow him to cast his ultimate provided that he is not completely out of mana.
- Bracer gives Elder Titan useful stats, particularly strength for more health and base damage. It can build into a Drum of Endurance later on.
- Power Treads gives Elder Titan many strong benefits. Treads switching allows him to give himself more intelligence to reduce the strain that casting places on his mana pool, or strength for more HP and base damage. As well, the additional attack speed allows Elder Titan to better take advantage of any damage he gains from Astral Spirit.
- Drum of Endurance, upgraded from a previously purchased Bracer, gives Elder Titan useful stats across the board as well as an aura that provides movement and attack speed. The aura, as well as its active component, give Elder Titan an edge in teamfights, especially when combined with the bonuses provided by Astral Spirit.
- Magic Wand is very strong on Elder Titan, as it provides him with stats and a way to instantly replenish HP and mana. As Elder Titan is extremely reliant on casting, restoring 255 mana instantly can allow him to do much more in fights.
- Town Portal Scroll is mandatory on all heroes. For Elder Titan, being able to use his abilities to help in ganks, counter-ganks and teamfights can be instrumental to victory.
- Crimson Guard is very strong on Elder Titan, as the damage block, armor and additional HP all combine to make him very tanky and hard to bring down. The utility that its active brings to a fight allows him to increase the survivability of his team against physical damage.
- Hood of Defiance provides Elder Titan with protection against magic nukes, allowing him to stand in teamfights and make the most of Natural Order against the enemy. It can be upgraded into a Pipe of Insight to provide utility for his team, protecting them against magic nukes as well.
- Heaven's Halberd serves as a utility and survivability item that increases Elder Titan's offensive potential. The strength and evasion give Elder Titan increased survivability against physical right-clicks, while the strength and damage bonus increase the power of his own right-clicks, adding a Lesser Maim on top that can slow his foes down. The active ability, Disarm, can also be used against the enemy's main carry, preventing them from attacking for some time.
- Assault Cuirass shares strong synergy with Elder Titan's spells, on top of the physical survivability it grants. The attack speed allows Elder Titan to leverage any bonus damage he gains from Astral Spirit, while the armor reduction aura stacks with that of Natural Order, causing Elder Titan's attacks to hit even harder.
- Shiva's Guard is a strong physical survivability item that gives Elder Titan more intelligence for casting spells and an active slow that greatly benefits his abilities. Slowing the enemy down can make it harder for them to escape, allowing Elder Titan to catch up and apply his Natural Order aura, or can be stacked on top of a successful Earth Splitter to keep the enemy bunched up.
- Blade Mail is a good mid-game item that gives Elder Titan many good benefits. The bonus intelligence gives him a bigger mana pool for casting spells, the extra armor gives him survivability, and the extra damage helps with his damage output for teamfights and farming. The active allows him to use his HP pool offensively, discouraging enemies from focusing him as he initiates and threatening large amounts of reflected damage against fragile burst casters.
- Scythe of Vyse is a highly expensive luxury item but carries many strong benefits. It gives Elder Titan a targeted hard disable to use against enemies, and can be use to pin an enemy down for Echo Stomp. It greatly increases the size of his mana pool, gives him scaling mana regen, and gives him stats across the board.
- Refresher Orb allows Elder Titan to cast his ultimate twice in quick succession, which can severely cripple any enemy it catches, potentially even killing them from full health. It is best purchased if players are confident that they will have enough setup to land Earth Splitter with precision, but requires increasing the size of Elder Titan's mana pool as the entire combination can consume up to 825 mana.
- Black King Bar can be a good item to build on Elder Titan for various reasons. While it can prevent Elder Titan from being interrupted as he casts Echo Stomp, its primary utility is to prevent him from being disabled as he closes the distance with enemies to fight them using his bonus damage from Astral Spirit and the resistance reduction from Natural Order.
- Aghanim's Scepter is a very strong item to pick up on Elder Titan, as it gives him all-around stats that aid in his survivability and ability to cast spells. It augments the power of Earth Splitter, allowing him to slow enemies for a longer duration and disarm them at the same time, preventing them from easily retaliating.
- Bottle can be very useful to build on Elder Titan, both as an off-laner and a mid. As Elder Titan's spells all cost a significant portion of his mana pool, being able to replenish his mana allows him to remain mobile and not have to return to base as often.
- Soul Ring can greatly improve Elder Titan's ability to cast spells, allowing him to draw from his HP pool for mana.
- Medallion of Courage is a strong support item on Elder Titan. It provides him with additional armor and mana regen, giving him survivability and helping to maintain his mana pool. The active can be targeted on allies to give them more resistance to physical damage, or can be targeted on enemies to further reduce their armor alongside Natural Order, making them weaker against allied attacks, as well as Elder Titan's attacks (especially when combined with Astral Spirit) and Earth Splitter. Upgraded to Solar Crest, it can add evasion and miss chance to the mix.
- Blink Dagger can be very situational but powerful in Elder Titan's hands. It greatly increases his mobility and allows him to position himself for casting his spells much more effectively, as well as instantly getting within range to fight.
- Vladmir's Offering is a strong durability item on Elder Titan, and can be purchased relatively easily due to the cheap price of its components. It provides an armor aura that gives Elder Titan and his teammates more survivability against physical damage, and the damage bonus and lifesteal aura also provide strong bonuses in teamfights. The mana regen also helps to maintain Elder Titan's mana pool.
- Lotus Orb gives Elder Titan strong utility and survivability no matter how he is built. It provides armor and HP regen, increasing his tankiness, and mana regen to fuel his spell casting. Echo Shell can be cast on an ally to discourage the enemy from casting targeted spells on them, or on Elder Titan himself to increase his survivability when directly engaging the enemy in combat.
- If attempting to take advantage of Astral Spirit and Natural Order to make Elder Titan a brawler, the following items can greatly increase his effectiveness.
- Orb of Venom is a good early-game item that lets Elder Titan slow enemies with his attacks. The slow can synergize with Astral Spirit's bonus damage and movement speed, letting Elder Titan easily chase enemies to land highly-damaging attacks on them.
- Phase Boots can be a useful alternative to Power Treads, as the active can be used to chase enemies down after gaining bonus damage and movement speed via Astral Spirit.
- Shadow Blade has good initiating utility that allows Elder Titan to more easily utilize his Astral Spirit damage. If activated after casting Astral Spirit, Elder Titan can approach enemies invisibly and attack them with the backstab damage, then recall his Astral Spirit to allow him to immediately take advantage of any bonus damage and movement speed he obtains. It can also be upgraded into a Silver Edge for all of the same benefits, as well as applying a break and damage reduction to any gank targets to further debilitate them.
- Moon Shard greatly boosts Elder Titan's attack speed, allowing him to take advantage of any bonus damage he accrues through Astral Spirit. The increased night vision range also allows him to spot enemies from longer range, setting up ganks or disables more easily.
- Sange and Yasha greatly increases Elder Titan's early fighting potential. Increasing his attack damage, HP, attack speed and movement speed makes Elder Titan much deadlier in fights, as he can chase down enemies more effectively and deal more physical damage when combined with Astral Spirit's movement speed and bonus damage.
- Eye of Skadi vastly increases Elder Titan's attributes across the board, making him tankier and giving him more mana. The attack modifier allows him to slow enemies with his attacks, preventing them from easily running away from him and allowing him to utilize Astral Spirit's bonuses to the utmost.
- Built as a utility disabler that focuses on landing Echo Stomp, Elder Titan can increase his effectiveness.
- Urn of Shadows is a good roaming item that gives Elder Titan increased flexibility. The bonus strength gives him base damage and more HP, while the mana regen allows him to cast his spells more regularly. Charges can be obtained easily through ganking and setting up kills with Echo Stomp, and those charges can either heal teammates or Elder Titan himself, or add more damage to a gank.
- Arcane Boots are very useful if Elder Titan is being built to cast instead of brawl. It increases the size of his mana pool and allows him to replenish his and his teammates' mana, greatly increasing his utility and allowing him to always have the mana to cast his spells in fights.
- Force Staff serves many useful benefits on Elder Titan if he is being built in a support-utility role. The item's components are easy to build, and it increases the size of his mana pool while also giving him some HP regen and an active that helps with his positioning, which can be crucial for getting his spells off.
- Mekansm is built mainly as a utility item that offers stats and survivability. Elder Titan's tanky nature allows him to benefit greatly from it, however he must build up his mana pool first, as Mekansm's active costs more than any of his spells.
- Veil of Discord gives Elder Titan stats across the board and armor, increasing his inherent tankiness and greatly boosting his intelligence to facilitate easier spell casting. However, its main utility is in its active ability, which can reduce an enemy's magic resistance further on top of Natural Order, increasing the potency of magical damage even more. Using it on top of Earth Splitter and Natural Order allows Elder Titan to cut enemies' HP by up to a maximum of 56%.
- Eul's Scepter of Divinity is a strong item for aiding Elder Titan in casting. The base movement speed increase grants him more mobility, especially when combined with Astral Spirit's bonus movement speed, and the extra intelligence and scaling mana regen ensure that Elder Titan will always have the mana to cast what he needs. The active can pin an enemy down with a cyclone, giving Elder Titan enough time to set up a perfect Echo Stomp.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Audio[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Elder Titan was known as the Tauren Chieftain in DotA. The name change was likely done to avoid copyright issues with Blizzard Entertainment, since the Tauren is an existing race in the Warcraft universe.
- Elder Titan is voiced by Jim French, a prominent voice actor and radio personality; he is best known for voice-acting Bill in the Left 4 Dead series and Father Grigori in Half Life 2, two titles also made by Valve.
- In the splash art, a faint image of what looks to be Legion Commander can be seen.
- The delay time on Earth Splitter is 3.14 seconds, which is most likely a reference to pi. Pi is the ratio between a circle's circumference and its diameter, making it a fundamental constant in geometry and other more complex areas of mathematics.
- In DotA, Astral Spirit is named Ancestral Spirit. It was changed to Astral Spirit in Dota 2 for thematic reasons.