- Silencer will burn your already weak mana pool quickly with Curse of the Silent, disabling your Fissure. It is a must to put one early point towards Enchant Totem to quickly cancel Curse of the Silent.
- Skywrath Mage will make your laning phase a hell on earth with Arcane Bolt while preventing any meaningful initiation with Concussive Shot and Ancient Seal. If you manage to catch him off-guard with a good Fissure from outside his vision leading to a kill, you can somehow make up for it.
- Huskar will keep you away from the creepwave and way too wounded to initiate or chase a kill. If he is on your lane, go roaming.
- Anti-Mage will prevent you from denying his creeps by sapping your mana with Mana Break when you close in to deny. Also, killing him is rather challenging, given his great escape possibilities with Blink.
- Supports with Glimmer Cape can sneak up on you before the teamfight and disable you long enough to turn the teamfight around, also greatly reduce your damage if they cloak a core hero on their team.
- Tanks with Blade Mail can kill you once you hit them with Enchant Totem empowered attack or Echo Slam. Do not make hasty decisions.
- Heroes with Pipe of Insight will greatly reduce your AoE damage and by extension your impact.
- Getting hit with Orchid Malevolence will make you absolutely useless for 5 seconds with a short cooldown, keeping you out of the teamfight. It can also shut your mid-game down when used by huge burst heroes like Clinkz, Queen of Pain, Storm Spirit, etc.
- If enemy core heroes have Black King Bar and have time to use it before you blink in and use Echo Slam, you can as well just go home. Your only option is to Enchant Totem them before you die. Who knows, it might kill them, especially if your build includes damage items like Desolator or Daedalus.
- The typical combo is Echo Slam > Enchant Totem > Fissure. When combined with a Blink Dagger, this combo can surprise groups of enemies with a long chain stun, as well as lots of damage.
- Fissure creates an impassable barrier, which can be effective for stopping enemies from escaping.
- It is important to keep in mind, however, that this barrier is also impassable to yourself and allies. Be careful of how you position yourself and the Fissure wall.
- Earthshaker is exceptional at ganking the mid lane, because at a good angle, Fissure can completely block the enemy midlaner from running back to their tower.
- In order to stop escaping enemies, use Enchant Totem in conjunction with Aftershock when Fissure is on cooldown.
- Upon initiating, Aftershock allows for your Enchant Totem and Echo Slam to disable the enemy team for longer periods of time.
- Because of the echo damage, Echo Slam is best used in the middle of the enemy team, especially when they have a large amount of units near them.
- A Blink Dagger or Force Staff will help you get into position to use Echo Slam. Note that it might not always be best to initiate and it can sometimes be best to wait for the enemy team to start the fight and group up.
- Try to find a balance between building items that help you be the team's initiator and those which increase your mana, Intelligence and or Strength so that you can remain effective throughout the game.
- Soul Ring is often a particularly effective item on Earthshaker, as it provides both health and mana regeneration while giving you the option for mana whenever needed.
- Arcane Boots give Earthshaker more team utility through active mana regeneration, increased movement speed, and an increased mana pool to allow you to cast more spells.
- Because of Echo Slam, it is a fatal mistake to push against an Earthshaker without taking precautions to not get caught while grouped up. Echo Slam's damage has no upper limit and so Earthshaker has the potential to wipe out an entire team of heroes instantly if there are enough bodies present.
- Because of Echo Slam, Earthshaker is particularly effective against heroes that can create illusions or clones, such as Chaos Knight, Naga Siren, Phantom Lancer and Meepo, as well as heroes that can summon or control units such as Broodmother, Nature's Prophet, Enchantress and Chen.
- While he is primarily a support because of his potentially game-breaking spells, it is possible to play Earthshaker as a physical damage dealer due to the very large amount of damage from Enchant Totem. There are a lot of builds for this, but they usually revolve around cost-efficient Strength items like Drum of Endurance and Armlet of Mordiggian, and then Daedalus. With these items an Earthshaker can potentially instantly kill an enemy carry (though there is some risk involved). If you wish to attempt this type of build, make sure you have the consent of your teammates first, most will assume you plan on supporting.
July 18, 2013 Patch
- New Earthshaker model.
- Updates to some Earthshaker effects.
June 14, 2013 Patch
June 04, 2013 Patch
- Fixed a number of slightly incorrect properties with Echo Slam.
December 06, 2012 Patch
July 26, 2012 Patch
July 12, 2012 Patch
June 14, 2012 Patch
- [Undocumented] Updated Earthshaker's texture.
May 17, 2012 Patch
April 19, 2012 Patch
January 12, 2012 Patch
August 07, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Legacy hotkeys on Sniper and Earthshaker
July 08, 2011 Patch
July 01, 2011 Patch
- Units that are not visible will not take damage from Echo Slam projectiles.
June 02, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Echo Slam doing 1 less echo to the initial targets.
May 20, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Earthshaker's Aghanim's Scepter implementation doing double damage to all units hit by it instead of spawning 2 echo waves per hero.
May 13, 2011 Patch
February 09, 2011 Patch
- Updated Earthshaker's Model.
- Updated additional effect for Echo Slam.
January 30, 2011 Patch
January 27, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Fissure not immediately pushing out siege creeps.
- Fixed cases where Fissure would not properly place the hit unit in clear space.
January 18, 2011 Patch
- Characters with a 0.4 turn rate such as Skeleton King and Earthshaker now turn around faster.
- Improved turn rate from 0.6 to 0.9.
- Echo Slam.
- Increased initial damage radius from 525 to 575.
- Increased echo search radius from 550 to 575.
- Increased echo damage radius from 500 to 575.
- Increased Enchant Totem attack damage bonus from 75%/150%/225%/300% to 100%/200%/300%/400%.
- Increased Fissure range from 1300 to 1400.
- Reduced Enchant Totem cooldown from 6 to 5.
- Increased stun duration from 0.3/0.7/1.2/1.5 to 0.6/0.9/1.2/1.5.
- Increased damage from 25/45/75/115 to 50/75/100/125.
- Undid melee hero collision change from 6.72c
- Melee hero collision size now reduced from 24 to 12.
- Reduced Echo Slam initial damage from 165/230/285 to 160/210/270.
- Increased Enchant Totem attack damage bonus from 50%/100%/150%/200% to 75%/150%/225%/300%.
- Increased Aftershock radius from 280 to 300.
- Echo Slam
- No longer counts corpses for damage echo damage.
- Increased echo damage from 35/45/65 to 40/55/70.
- Increased unit search radius from 475 to 550. (this is not the damage radius, just the initial unit search radius).
- Added Aghanim's Scepter upgrade for Earthshaker: Causes Echo Slam to release 2 echoes for each hero within the search radius.
- Echo Slam now deals half echo damage from corpses instead of full.
- Recoded Fissure to avoid root and Impale based spell conflicts.
- Fixed Echo Slam dealing less damage than intended (7 less).
- Increased base armor from 0 to 1 (total armor is now 2.68).
- Fixed a game crashing bug on Fissure.
- Rescaled damage from 75/145/210/320 to 125/175/225/275.
- Reduced stun duration from 1/1.5/2/2 to 1/1.25/1.5/1.75.
- Enchant Totem
- Reduced buff duration from 15 to 14 (still lasts for 1 attack only).
- Reduced cooldown from 15 to 7.
- Recoded Fissure
- Now creates the whole crevasse instantly infront of Earthshaker, instead of over 0.5 seconds.
- The crevasse is now always a straight line and no longer curves because of buildings or props.
- No longer creates ground rippling effects along the crevasse.
- No longer randomly fails to damage and stun hit enemies.
- No longer destroys trees.
- Enchant Totem
- Reduced manacost from 60/65/70/75 to 50 on each level.
- Reduced cooldown from 20 to 15.
- Fixed a game crashing bug on Fissure.
- Tweaked to reduce lag.
- Increased speed at which the fissure extends from 600 to 2400 (time needed to reach full length from 2 to 0.5 seconds).
- Reduced Echo Slam echo damage from 35/45/65 to 27/37/57.