Raigor Stonehoof the Earthshaker is a melee Strength Hero with several area of effect disables, commonly played as a ganker or initiator. Unlike most Strength heroes, he is played more like an Intelligence caster hero and is almost entirely reliant on his spells to inflict heavy damage. His Fissure is a versatile spell that affects enemies in a line, used to stun, inflict decent damage, and create an impassable wall of earth for a significant duration. Good usage of this can cut off chokepoints, leaving enemies with no escape routes or preventing them from chasing after endangered allies. Enchant Totem massively boosts his attack damage for one attack, and has a very short cooldown. Aftershock lets the Earthshaker deal additional damage and stun in a small area around him everytime he uses one of his spells, and combos particularly well with Enchant Totem. Earthshaker's heavy AoE-centric kit is most powerful when his enemies are in large numbers and in close proximity. With his Echo Slam, he can deal heavy damage to clusters of enemies. All of Earthshaker's spells (with the exception of his ultimate) have a long casting animation, but with proper positioning, an adept Earthshaker can wreak havoc with his area-of-effect spells. Blink Dagger is an essential item for Earthshaker to be able to properly land Echo Slam within a cluster of enemies. At the same time, because of the high mana costs of his spells, he needs some form of mana sustenance. With his tremendous seismic power, the Earthshaker is never one that should be taken lightly even when he is heavily outnumbered.
- Fissure creates an impassable barrier, which can be effective for stopping enemies from escaping.
- It is important to keep in mind, however, that this barrier is also impassable to yourself and allies. Be careful of how you position yourself and the Fissure wall.
- Use Enchant Totem in conjunction with Aftershock to stop escaping enemies, even when Fissure is unavailable.
- Upon initiating, Aftershock allows for your Enchant Totem and Echo slam to disable the enemy team for longer periods of time.
- Because of the echo damage, Echo Slam is best used in the middle of the enemy team, especially when they have a large amount of units near them.
- A Blink Dagger or Force Staff will help you get into position to use Echo Slam. Note that it might not always be best to initiate and it can sometimes be best to wait for the enemy team to start the fight and group up.
- Try to find a balance between building items that help you be the team's initiator and those which increase your mana, Intelligence and or Strength so that you can remain effective throughout the game.
- Soul Ring is often a particularly effective item on Earthshaker, as it provides both health and mana regeneration while giving you the option for mana whenever needed.
- Arcane Boots give Earthshaker more team utility through active mana regeneration, increased movement speed, and an increased mana pool to allow you to cast more spells.
- Because of Echo Slam, it is a fatal mistake to push against an Earthshaker without taking precautions to not get caught while grouped up. Echo Slam's damage has no upper limit and so Earthshaker has the potential to wipe out an entire team of heroes instantly if there are enough bodies present.
- Because of Echo Slam, Earthshaker is particularly effective against heroes that can create illusions or clones, such as Chaos Knight, Naga Siren, Phantom Lancer and Meepo, as well as heroes that can summon or control units such as Broodmother, Nature's Prophet, Enchantress and Chen.
- While he is primarily and fundamentally a support because of his potentially game-breaking spells, it is possible to play Earthshaker as a physical damage dealer due to the very large amount of damage from Enchant Totem. There are a lot of builds for this, but they usually revolve around cost-efficient strength items like Drum of Endurance and Armlet of Mordiggian, and then Daedalus. With these items an Earthshaker can potentially instantly kill an enemy carry (though there is some risk involved). If you wish to attempt this type of build, make sure you have the consent of your teammates first, most will assume you plan on supporting.
- Earthshaker's response "Play Chaos Dunk!" is a reference to the freeware RPG game Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden
- Fixed a number of slightly incorrect properties with Echo Slam.
- [Undocumented] Added spawn animations for Earthshaker, Night Stalker, Shadow Demon, Tidehunter, Tinker.
- [Undocumented] Added teleport start and end animations for Earthshaker, Pudge, Night Stalker, Shadow Demon, Tidehunter, Tinker.
- Fixed Echo Slam inital damage not hitting units through magic immunity.
- Fixed cases where invulnerable units could get stuck inside Fissure.
- Fixed Legacy hotkeys on Sniper and Earthshaker.
- Fixed Echo Slam hit rules to completely ignore invisible units (including FOW).
- Units that are not visible will not take damage from Echo Slam projectiles.
- Fixed Echo Slam doing 1 less echo to the initial targets.
- Fixed Earthshaker's Ultimate Scepter implementation doing double damage to all units hit by it instead of spawning 2 echo waves per hero.
- Fixed a number of abilities having incorrect interaction with Sphere: Slithereen Crush, Jinada, Wind Walk, Echo Slam, Moon Glaive, Death Pulse, Purification, Scream of Pain, Fatal Bonds.
- Updated Earthshaker Model.
- Updated additional effect for Earthshaker's Echo Slam.
- Fixed cases where creating a linear projectile directly on yourself would cause it to get stuck. This includes fixes to Fissure, Ghost Ship, Dragon Slave, Arrow, Impale, Waveform, Illusory Orb, Meat Hook, Burrowstrike, Wave of Terror, and Powershot.
- Fixed Earthshaker's Fissure not immediately pushing out mechanical units (sieges).
- Fixed cases where Earthshaker's Fissure would not properly place the hit unit in clear space.
- Characters with a 0.4 turn rate such as Skeleton King and Earthshaker now turn around faster.
- Enchant Totem mana cost reduced to 20/30/40/50
- No longer has unit targeting
- Is no longer blocked by Linken's Sphere
- Echo Slam initial attack is now the same Magic damage type as the rest of its damage (initial damage no longer pierces Spell Immunity)
- Turn rate improved from 0.6 to 0.9.
- Echo Slam Initial Damage, Echo Search, Echo Damage AOE increased from 525, 550, 500 to 575, 575, 575.
- Creeps no longer try to path around Fissure; they will wait for it to disappear.
- Echo Slam no longer ignores units that are invisible or in Fog of War.
- Base movement speed increased from 300 to 310.
- Strength gain increased from 2.5 to 2.9.
- Enchant Totem damage increased from 75/150/225/300% to 100/200/300/400%.
- Fissure range increased from 1300 to 1400.
- Turn rate improved from 0.4 to 0.6.
- Fissure range increased from 1200 to 1300.
- Echo Slam now considers illusions as heroes.
- Stun duration rescaled from 0.3/0.7/1.2/1.5 to 0.6/0.9/1.2/1.5.
- Damage increased from 25/45/75/115 to 50/75/100/125.
- Enchant Totem cooldown decreased from 6 to 5 seconds.
- Enchant Totem cooldown decreased from 7 to 6 seconds.
- Undid melee hero collision change from 6.72c
- Melee hero collision size now reduced from 24 to 12.
- Echo Slam initial damage reduced from 165/230/285 to 160/210/270.
- Enchant Totem no longer dispels if you animation cancel.
- Aftershock AoE from 280 to 300.
- Enchant Totem damage increased from 50/100/150/200 to 75/150/225/300.
- Echo Slam
- No longer counts corpses for damage Echo damage. (They used to count them for partial damage)
- Echo damage increased from 35/45/65 to 40/55/70.
- Unit search aoe increased by 75. (this is not the damage aoe, just the initial unit search aoe)
- Added Aghanim's Scepter (echo bounces twice for each hero it hits)
- Echo Slam now deals half bonus damage from corpses instead of full.
- Improved Earthshaker's movement speed.
- Rewrote Fissure to avoid Entangle and Impale based spell conflicts.
- Improved AOE on Aftershock by 30
- Minor armor buff (usually 1) to most melee heroes
- Fissure nerfed
- Enchant Totem cooldown reduced
- Recoded fissure
- Echo slam dmg per target reduced from 35/45/65 to 27/37/57