Kaolin the Earth Spirit is a highly adaptable strength hero with great utility, able to effectively fill the role of a support, ganker, or offlaner, while still having a large game presence due to his strong initiation. Unlike most heroes, his abilities revolve around an innate ability, Stone Remnant. Because of Stone Remnant's synergy with his other abilities, Earth Spirit has an incredibly high skill ceiling, and can be challenging to master. He can be surprisingly mobile, owing to his Rolling Boulder, and can use this in combination with his other abilities to position himself to disable multiple enemies, save allies from certain death and generally become a commanding presence in a teamfight, even without a great deal of farm. With good timing he can initiate fights from a distance, and given the right circumstances can deal a surprising amount of damage to both single and multiple targets, all the while disrupting enemy positioning allowing for easy kills. A useful ally and a dangerous enemy, the Earth Spirit's versatility and flexibility make him an ideal hero in almost any lineup or lane.
- Aghanim's Scepter Aghanim's Scepter gives Earth Spirit a lot of possibilities along with some extra nuke damage, Agh's is a great item for experienced players.
- Mastering Geomagnetic Grip and Rolling Boulder is easier and more beneficial than Boulder Smash (if you are just starting to use Earth Spirit). Using a Stone Remnant together with Geomagnetic Grip inflicts the highest damage among your normal skills and silences all enemy heroes caught in the path of the stone. Rolling Boulder is also a very effective escape tool when used together with a Stone Remnant.
- Positioning is key with Earth Spirit; this hero is adept at breaking chases and running down fleeing foes. As a support player you may want to have yourself positioned behind your core heroes so you can pull them to safety in case they get initiated on. You can Boulder Smash away an enemy hero chasing you or your ally, or if you're too far use a Stone Remnant to stun them from a massive 2000 distance.
- Enchant Remnant from Aghanim's upgrade is perhaps one of the best ways to easily remove an enemy hero from a team fight by enchanting them and then using Boulder Smash to send them away from the fight, perhaps into impassible terrain or over into the jungle to force them to take a long way back into the fight. This can prove especially useful against heroes that need to be close by to properly utilize their skills (examples include Razor's Static Link, melee right click heroes and the like). Alternatively you can sneak up to an enemy hero, enchant them and then use Boulder Smash to send them into your allies. Remember that an Enchanted unit is invulnerable under all circumstances, this can be used effectively with your allies as well to save a dying ally by sending them away from the fight or by sending the team initiator into the enemy team to stun them first before the actual initiation (in this case you will need to very carefully coordinate with your team before using them as Enchant Remnants).
- Remember that you can refresh the duration of Magnetize by placing Stone Remnants beside the affected targets. Try to time your stone placements to maximize the damage of your ultimate skill, however also remember that your skills lose the majority of their effectiveness without stones so be sure to always have some in reserve.
- A successfully targeted Boulder Smash with a Stone Remnant is one of the longest range and fastest moving stuns in the game. You can use it for a variety of effects despite its mediocre damage, such as canceling an enemy's teleport from a safe distance (e.g. a Naga Siren who has put your allies to sleep is trying to run away, a Tinker with Boots of Travel or a Nature's Prophet hidden inside Sprout) or enemy channeling spells without endangering yourself (e.g. Witch Doctor's Death Ward).
- Boulder Smash is perhaps the hardest skill to master in Earth Spirit's arsenal due to the fact that even a small movement can horribly offset your projectile from its intended path. Remember that you need to be standing right beside the remnant in order for your hero to interact with it thus increasing the emphasis on positioning even further.
- A basic combo you can master as Earth Spirit is placing a Stone Remnant behind your enemies, pulling the stone in for silence, then smashing it away to stun them before using Rolling Boulder to slow them for your allies and then adding Magnetize if necessary.
- Earth Spirit, like Brewmaster, Storm Spirit and Ember Spirit, was a Pandaren in DotA. However, he was re-skinned to avoid copyright issues with Blizzard, since Pandaren are a race of creatures in the Warcraft Universe.
- His innate ability, Stone Remnant, is called Stone Caller in DotA, and it summons an actual Rock rather than a Remnant. Its function and mechanics are just the same. It's still named Stone Caller in the npc files.
- Earth Spirit's name, Kaolin, is a reference to a type of fine white clay of the same name.
- Earth Spirit's lore draws inspiration from the Terracotta Army, a collection of statues depicting Chinese emperor Qin Shi Huang Di's armies.
- In the npc files, Enchant Remnant is named "Petrify", probably the beta name of the spell which got changed to the current name for unknown reason.
- Added Stone Summons slot and budget for Earth Spirit.
- Updated workshop files, including separated fbx and smd, for Lone Druid, Earth Spirit, Faceless Void, Nature's Prophet/Treants, Invoker/Forge Spirits and Riki.
- Fixed Magnetic Grip being able to pull you out of Duel, Blackhole and Chronosphere.
- Fixed Earth Spirit Legacy Keys.
- Fixed Stone Remnant counting as a spell (for purposes of Curse of the Silent, Magic Stick, etc).
- Heroes updated or newly enabled on the workshop - Earth Spirit, Ember Spirit, Storm Spirit, Gyrocopter, Pudge.
- Fixed an issue with Refreshing Rolling Boulder while already rolling.
- Fixed refreshed Boulder Smash causing units to teleport.
- Fixed a smashed Stone Remnant that got gripped still applying damage and silence to units in its old path.
- Fixed Magnetize and Rolling Boulder not applying their debuffs to magic immune enemies.
- Reduced Stone Remnant model size.
- Added Aghanim's Scepter: Grants Earth Spirit a new ability, Enchant Remnant, which lets him temporarily convert a hero into a Stone Remnant.
- Cast Range: 600
- Mana Cost: 150
- Cooldown: 45
Note: The Enchanted Remnant is like his other Stone Remnant, they cannot do anything on their own, they are invulnerable, and they can be used with his skills.
- Boulder Smash:
- Unit targeting now only selects units
- Point targeting now knocks back the closest Remnant (within 200 area of effect) in the direction selected
- The cooldown for Boulder Smash will not reset unless a unit is struck.
- Geomagnetic Grip:
- Silence rebalanced from 2/3/4/5 to 2.5/3/3.5/4
- Damage rebalanced from 100/150/200/250 to 50/125/200/275
- Pull speed on allies reduced from 1000 to 600
- Stone Remnant:
- Drop range reduced from 1400 to 1100
- Fixed Stone Remnant being unable to travel as a projectile through Chronosphere
- Fixed Stone Remnants not appearing in fog of war
- Magnetize search radius increased from 300 to 400
- Magnetized Stone Remnants disappear after 8 seconds instead of 5
- Stone Remnant recharge time reduced from 35 to 30.
- Stone Remnant recharge timer increased from 25 to 35.
- Geomagnetic Grip now does a 2/3/4/5 second silence instead of a 1/1.5/2/2.5 second stun.
- Geomagnetic Grip damage rescaled from 125 to 100/150/200/250.
- Boulder Smash damage rescaled from 100/150/200/250 to 125.
- Boulder Smash now does a 0.75/1.25/1.75/2.25 second stun instead of a 3.5/4/4.5/5 second silence.
- Boulder Smash radius from 225 to 200.
- Rolling Boulder now also gets interrupted if disabled during the initial 0.6 rolling charge, instead of only while its moving.
- Geomagnetic Grip now kills trees along the path of a dragged allied hero.
- Targeting someone directly with Boulder Smash will now be blocked by Linken's Sphere.
- Fixed being able to cast Geomagnetic Grip on magic immune allies.
- Fixed Boulder Smash being able to target Magic Immune units.
- Fixed Rolling Boulder travel distance going further than intended if you use a Stone Remnant near the end of the roll.
- Boulder Smash
- Silence duration reduced from 5 to 3.5/4/4.5/5.
- Unit knockback range rescaled from 800 to 500/600/700/800.
- Geomagnetic Grip cast range reduced from 1400 to 1100.
- Boulder Smash
- Rock push distance reduced from 2400 to 2000.
- Can target a point to push the nearest rock within 180 aoe.