21 + 2.9
17 + 1.5
18 + 2.4
Kaolin the Earth Spirit is a highly adaptable strength hero with great utility, able to effectively fill the role of a support, ganker, or offlaner, while still having a large game presence due to his strong initiation. Unlike most heroes, his abilities revolve around an innate ability, Stone Remnant. Because of Stone Remnant's synergy with his other abilities, Earth Spirit has an incredibly high skill ceiling, and can be challenging to master. He can be surprisingly mobile, owing to his Rolling Boulder, and can use this in combination with his other abilities to position himself to disable multiple enemies, save allies from certain death and generally become a commanding presence in a teamfight, even without a great deal of farm. With good timing he can initiate fights from a distance, and given the right circumstances can deal a surprising amount of damage to both single and multiple targets, all the while disrupting enemy positioning allowing for easy kills. A useful ally and a dangerous enemy, the Earth Spirit's versatility and flexibility make him an ideal hero in almost any lineup or lane.
- The actual cast range of the ability is 1300. However, this big cast range is only for aiming the Stone Remnants.
- In order to smash a Stone Remnant, Earth Spirit must stand within 200 range of the remnant and target anywhere within the 1300 cast range. The remnant is smashed towards the targeted direction.
- When no remnants are within 200 range of Earth Spirit, nothing happens. The spell is not cast.
- In order to smash a unit, it has to be directly targeted. Earth Spirit then walks up to the unit and smashes it into the direction he approaches the target from.
- Stun is applied to all enemy units within the radius of a smashed Stone Remnant. A smashed unit is not and does not stun.
- Damage is applied to the targeted unit (if it's an enemy) instantly and to enemy units within the radius of the smashed unit or Stone Remnant.
- Targeted units are not disabled during the knockback. They are able to turn, attack, cast spells and use items.
- This means that it can't be used to interrupt the target's channeling spells.
- Casting Boulder Smash on Power Cogs or a unit under the effect of Flaming Lasso damages enemies within the radius around the target upon cast, but does not knock it back.
- Can move units and Stone Remnants over impassable terrain.
- Destroys trees which the targeted units or Stone Remnant collide with during the knockback.
- Will always roll for the full distance when not colliding with an enemy hero.
- When colliding with an enemy hero, Earth Spirit lands at the opposite side of the hero from where he collided with and the rolling stops.
- Rolling over a Stone Remnant increases the roll distance by 800 units, rolling speed by 800 and adds the movement slow.
- Slow is applied to all units in the path, not just the hero it collides with.
- Rolling Boulder entangles Earth Spirit for its full duration. Means he cannot blink or attack during it, but can cast other items and spells and can turn.
- When Earth Spirit gets stunned, slept, cycloned or force moved by another spell at any time during Rolling Boulder, it instantly ends.
- Hex only cancels Rolling Boulder while rolling, not during the 0.6 seconds delay.
- Can move Earth Spirit over impassable terrain.
- Destroys trees Earth Spirit collides with while rolling.
| Stone Remnant
| Hit Points
| Collision size
|| 8 (phased)
- Healing Salve and Tango are basic regen requirements in almost any lane that Earth Spirit is placed in.
- Clarity will allow Earth Spirit to replenish his mana after casting a few spells, as he has a relatively small base mana pool.
- Iron Branch is a cheap and effective way to improve Earth Spirit's stats, particularly his Strength and Intelligence, both of which are lacking in the early game.
- Stout Shield is recommended when playing in the off-lane, as it will significantly reduce the amount of damage Earth Spirit takes from enemy player harass.
- Boots of Speed are essential early on for Earth Spirit, as the improved speed will allow him to position himself more quickly for casting his spells when initiating during a gank, or escape a gank attempt by the enemy's supports.
- Magic Stick is a useful pick up when in a lane against heroes who have low mana cost spells, and are harassing you with those spells. In particular, your low early mana pool means that you will greatly benefit from having an extra source of mana for casting your spells if you're in a pinch.
- Null Talisman will increase Earth Spirit's mana pool, which is relatively low in the early game. It will also build into a Veil of Discord, another useful item on Earth Spirit.
- Arcane Boots are essential on Earth Spirit. As a strength caster, he benefits greatly from the mana pool increase, as well as the mana replenishment given upon activation. Arcane Boots also greatly benefit your team, especially if your allies are having mana issues.
- Magic Wand is a useful pick up for the same reason as the Magic Stick, as well as for the additional stats if you are not a core farmer on your team. Against a team with many castable spells, the Magic Wand will fill quickly and will increase Earth Spirit's survivability during a fight.
- Veil of Discord is a helpful pickup on Earth Spirit, especially when your team has multiple spell casters. The bonus 25% magic damage works well with all of Earth Spirit's spells, but synergizes the best with his ultimate, Magnetize. Under the right circumstances, it can deal a large amount of magical damage, and the damage amplification will only help the enemies fall faster.
- Urn of Shadows is a good pickup on very active Earth Spirit players since he is very powerful in teamfights and ganks, and is a Strength hero who can benefit from additional mana regeneration. The active ability can be used to heal teammates after ganks or teamfights, and can add an additional 150 Pure damage to an enemy during a gank. Remember to check with teammates to see if any of them are purchasing one as well, as only one Urn will receive charges when an enemy hero dies.
- Town Portal Scroll is an essential basic item that all heroes should carry at all times, but is doubly so on Earth Spirit. Because of his mobility and powerful disables, being able to show up to a gank or teamfight is extremely important.
- Heaven's Halberd is useful against the enemy's physical right-clickers. The Disarm effect will render the targeted hero unable to attack, making most hard carries useless until the effect wears off. Heaven's Halberd will also give Earth Spirit extra health, damage, and evasion, all helpful for staying alive in fights.
- Pipe of Insight is useful in most situations, but especially against a team of casters. The extra magic resistance helps keep Earth Spirit alive during initiations, and the active protects all teammates from magical damage for a short period of time. As well, the additional HP regen allows Earth Spirit to remain out in the field for longer without having to return to base to heal.
- Heart of Tarrasque will massively increase Earth Spirit's survivability, granting him over 1000 bonus health and very fast health regeneration between fights which will allow him to start every teamfight or gank at full health. This survivability allows Earth Spirit to stand in the centre of fights, making it easier to deal damage with his ultimate Magnetize (as it is a radius around him). If all goes well, Earth Spirit can place more Stone Remnants, refreshing the duration of his ultimate with a much smaller risk of dying.
- Scythe of Vyse greatly improves Earth Spirit's mana pool, as well as giving him some overall attribute improvement. The ability to Hex an enemy target is also extremely useful, as it can disable a lone target instantly, giving you and your team to disable them further.
- Blade Mail is useful when initiating against a team of enemy heroes with small health pools. The stats from the item shore up Earth Spirit's small base mana pool and give him more armor as well as physical damage, making it a good mid-game pickup. The active ability is most effective if Earth Spirit can survive the burst damage, but the enemy cannot.
- Shiva's Guard greatly increases both Earth Spirit's armor, allowing him to take more physical damage, as will as greatly increase the size of his mana pool. The active ability can be used in conjunction with initiating a teamfight with Rolling Boulder, as you can apply the blast to the entire enemy team almost instantly, slowing them down enough to catch them all with Magnetize.
- Force Staff has many uses for a hero such as Earth Spirit. It can be used to position Earth Spirit's abilities, as well as escape from failed fights or ganks. It can also be used to save nearby allies, or push enemies into your grasp. It also improves his mana pool, which as a Strength hero, is helpful.
- Mekansm improves Earth Spirit's already good armor and health regeneration, and is a good utility pickup for your team. Keep in mind though, it has an extremely high mana cost (more than any of your other spells), so it is wise to increase the size of your mana pool first, otherwise you may render yourself unable to cast your other spells after healing your team. Remember to check whether a teammate is going to purchase Mekansm, as a team only needs one.
- Blink Dagger is an extremely powerful item to purchase on Earth Spirit, as it will allow him to position himself much more easily for casting his spells and has a very short cooldown. As it costs no mana to cast, you can use it without worrying about not having enough mana to cast your spells.
- Crimson Guard is a useful utility item to pick up on Earth Spirit if the enemy has lots of physical damage output. As a melee hero the damage block is very effective, while the increased health pool makes him much more durable while initiating. The active will also allow you to give a large amount of physical damage protection to your allies, as even ranged heroes will get 50 damage block for the duration of the buff.
- Aghanim's Scepter gives Earth Spirit a new ability, Enchant Remnant, which greatly increases his ability to disable enemies, save teammates, and initiate during teamfights and ganks. Casting the ability on an ally can render them temporarily invulnerable and allow you to save them quickly if they are being focused down, or can allow you to help them initiate by casting Boulder Smash on them to stun the enemy while simultaneously placing your teammate in the middle of their formation. Casting the ability on an enemy can disable them completely, allowing you to use them to fuel your spells in a teamfight or reposition them in an extremely disadvantageous location.
- Mastering Geomagnetic Grip and Rolling Boulder is easier and more beneficial than Boulder Smash (if you are just starting to use Earth Spirit). Using a Stone Remnant together with Geomagnetic Grip inflicts the highest damage among your normal skills and silences all enemy heroes caught in the path of the stone. Rolling Boulder is also a very effective escape tool when used together with a Stone Remnant.
- Positioning is key with Earth Spirit; this hero is adept at breaking chases and running down fleeing foes. As a support player you may want to have yourself positioned behind your core heroes so you can pull them to safety in case they get initiated on. You can Boulder Smash away an enemy hero chasing you or your ally, or if you're too far use a Stone Remnant to stun them from a massive 2000 distance.
- Enchant Remnant from Aghanim's upgrade is perhaps one of the best ways to easily remove an enemy hero from a team fight by enchanting them and then using Boulder Smash to send them away from the fight, perhaps into impassible terrain or over into the jungle to force them to take a long way back into the fight. This can prove especially useful against heroes that need to be close by to properly utilize their skills (examples include Razor's Static Link, melee right click heroes and the like). Alternatively you can sneak up to an enemy hero, enchant them and then use Boulder Smash to send them into your allies. Remember that an Enchanted unit is invulnerable under all circumstances, this can be used effectively with your allies as well to save a dying ally by sending them away from the fight or by sending the team initiator into the enemy team to stun them first before the actual initiation (in this case you will need to very carefully coordinate with your team before using them as Enchant Remnants).
- Remember that you can refresh the duration of Magnetize by placing Stone Remnants beside the affected targets. Try to time your stone placements to maximize the damage of your ultimate skill, however also remember that your skills lose the majority of their effectiveness without stones so be sure to always have some in reserve.
- A successfully targeted Boulder Smash with a Stone Remnant is one of the longest range and fastest moving stuns in the game. You can use it for a variety of effects despite its mediocre damage, such as canceling an enemy's teleport from a safe distance (e.g. a Naga Siren who has put your allies to sleep is trying to run away, a Tinker with Boots of Travel or a Nature's Prophet hidden inside Sprout) or enemy channeling spells without endangering yourself (e.g. Witch Doctor's Death Ward).
- Boulder Smash is perhaps the hardest skill to master in Earth Spirit's arsenal due to the fact that even a small movement can horribly offset your projectile from its intended path. Remember that you need to be standing right beside the remnant in order for your hero to interact with it thus increasing the emphasis on positioning even further.
- A basic combo you can master as Earth Spirit is placing a Stone Remnant behind your enemies, pulling the stone in for silence, then smashing it away to stun them before using Rolling Boulder to slow them for your allies and then adding Magnetize if necessary.
- Earth Spirit, like Brewmaster, Storm Spirit and Ember Spirit, was a Pandaren in DotA. However, he was re-skinned to avoid copyright issues with Blizzard, since Pandaren are a race of creatures in the Warcraft Universe.
- His innate ability, Stone Remnant, is called Stone Caller in DotA, and it summons an actual Rock rather than a Remnant. Its function and mechanics are just the same. It's still named Stone Caller in the npc files.
- Earth Spirit's name, Kaolin, is a reference to a type of fine white clay of the same name.
- Earth Spirit's lore draws inspiration from the Terracotta Army, a collection of statues depicting Chinese emperor Qin Shi Huang Di's armies.
January 09, 2014 Patch
December 16, 2013 Patch
- Fixed Magnetic Grip being able to pull you out of Duel, Blackhole and Chronosphere.
- Fixed Earth Spirit Legacy Keys.
December 12, 2013 Patch
- Fixed Stone Remnant counting as a spell (for purposes of Curse of the Silent, Magic Stick, etc).
- Heroes updated or newly enabled on the workshop - Earth Spirit, Ember Spirit, Storm Spirit, Gyrocopter, Pudge.
November 15, 2013 Patch
- Fixed an issue with Refreshing Rolling Boulder while already rolling.
- Fixed refreshed Boulder Smash causing units to teleport.
- Fixed a smashed Stone Remnant that got gripped still applying damage and silence to units in its old path.
- Fixed Magnetize and Rolling Boulder not applying their debuffs to magic immune enemies.
- Reduced Stone Remnant model size.
November 14, 2013 Patch
- Added Earth Spirit.