19 + 2.8
19 + 2.2
15 + 1.7
Davion the Dragon Knight is a very tough melee strength hero with a relatively versatile skill set. Dragon Knight has a nuke and a stun, giving him an advantage in ganks. Dragon Knight has no real escape ability, though his Dragon Blood ability and armor make him capable of withstanding strong hits and recovering quickly. He is still very vulnerable in the early game, however, and needs to farm and stay alive in order to be effective in later stages. If he has enough levels and farm, Dragon Knight is very formidable late game due to his strong ultimate, transforming into a legendary dragon, turning him into one of the most dangerous beasts in late game, capable of eliminating multiple enemies at once.
| Davion, the Dragon Knight
| Play "The Dragon Slyrak sleeps within this armor, and the knight within the Dragon waits. Beware you do not wake them both."
|| Carry / Durable / Disabler / Pusher
|| After years on the trail of a legendary Eldwurm, the skilled dragon-slayer found himself facing a disappointing foe: the dreaded Slyrak had grown ancient and frail, its wings tattered, its few remaining scales stricken with scale-rot, its fangs ground to nubs, and its fire-gouts no more threatening than a pack of wet matchsticks. Seeing no honor to be gained in dragon-murder, the young knight prepared to turn away and leave his old foe to die in peace. But a voice crept into his thoughts, and Slyrak gave a whispered plea that the knight might honor him with death in combat. The knight agreed, and found himself rewarded beyond expectation for his act of mercy: As he sank his blade in Slyrak's breast, the dragon sank a claw into his throat. As their blood mingled, Slyrak sent his power out along the Blood Route, offering all its strength and centuries of wisdom to the knight. The dragon's death sealed their bond, and Dragon Knight was born. The ancient power slumbers in the knight, waking when he calls it; or perhaps it is the Dragon that calls the Knight...
|| Tony Todd (Responses)
- Can hit units up to 900 range away (650 distance + 250 end radius).
- The complete area is shaped like a cone.
- During Elder Dragon Form the cast range is 400.
- The effects are still applied instantly upon cast.
| Dragon Blood|
| The life blood of the Dragon improves health regeneration and strengthens armor.
| Health Regen Bonus: 2/3/4/5|
Armor Bonus: 3/6/9/12
|Slyrak's blood still courses through Davion's veins, giving him twice the vitality of an ordinary knight.
- Directly increases health regeneration, so it restores 0.2/0.3/0.4/0.5 health in 0.1 second intervals.
- Restores 120/180/240/300 health in one minute.
| Elder Dragon Form
| Dragon Knight takes the form of one of three powerful elder dragons, increasing his damage, speed, and Dragon Tail's range, while granting him new powers.|
LEVEL 1: Green Dragon - Corrosive Breath: attacks deal 100 poison damage over 5 seconds. Works on structures.
LEVEL 2: Red Dragon - Splash Attack: attacks damage all enemy units in a 250 radius, with Corrosive Breath added to the primary target.
LEVEL 3: Blue Dragon - Frost Breath: slows movement speed by 30%, and attack speed by 20, of enemy units in Splash Attack range for 3 seconds, with Corrosive Breath added to the primary target.
| Cast Time: 0+0.5|
Attack Range Bonus: 372
Move Speed Bonus: 25
Dragon Tail Cast Range Bonus: 250
Dragon Form Duration: 60
| Splash attack and level 3 MS/AS slows pierce Spell Immunity.
| Corrosive Breath and Frost Breath can be purged, the actual form can't.
|The dormant dragon power springs forth from within Davion, combining the powers of a legendary knight with a legendary Eldwurm.
- Increases Dragon Knight's movement speed to 315 and attack range to 500 while giving him ranged attack properties. His attack projectile travels at a speed of 900.
- Level 1 transforms him into a green dragon, level 2 into a red dragon and level 3 into a blue dragon.
- Corrosive Breath: (Available for Level 1, Level 2 & Level 3 Elder Dragon Form)
- Damage per Second: 20
- Duration: 5
- Damage Type: Magical
- The damage is not lethal. Deals damage in 1 second intervals, starting 1 second after debuff is applied, resulting in 5 instances.
- Can deal up to 100 damage to a unit (before reductions). Corrosive Breath fully affects buildings.
- Successive hits do not stack, they refresh the duration.
- Splash Attack: (Available for Level 2 & level 3 Elder Dragon Form)
- 100% Splash Radius: 100
- 75% Splash Radius: 200
- 50% Splash Radius: 250
- Damage Type: Physical
- When an attack misses or is disjointed, splash damage is still applied in the areas, but reduced by 50%.
- Frost Breath: (Available for Level 3 Elder Dragon Form)
- Slow Radius: 250
- Move Speed Slow: 30%
- Attack Speed Slow: 20
- Slow Duration: 3
- Successive hits do not stack, they refresh the duration.
- When an attack misses or is disjointed, the slow will not be applied at all.
- Boots of Speed are compulsory because of the early speed boost they give.
- Magic Stick provides you with some regeneration while laning.
- Bracer is a good early game item: it gives more attributes and some damage.
- Power Treads are useful not only because of the attack speed they give, but also because you can switch the attribute to Intelligence if you need more mana, usually just before using an ability; otherwise you can keep them on Strength to make you more durable and to make last hitting easier.
- Magic Wand provides you with more attributes and good health and mana regeneration.
- Heaven's Halberd is a good item both offensively and defensively: it gives more damage, more Strength and some evasion. Its maim is nice for chasing enemies, and its disarm is a nice counter to auto-attackers and carries.
- Black King Bar is a good item to have if you're facing many disablers or nukers. With the added survivability, damage and magic immunity, you will be more durable and able to jump into the fight with less risk of dying.
- Heart of Tarrasque is the best item to buy if you need to be more tanky. Not only it provides you with more than 1000 HP and a passive ability to gain health more quickly, but it also adds 40 damage.
- Shadow Blade gives good mobility, the stealth also allows you to initiate using your stun, The bonus damage coming out of stealth is also helpful
- Helm of the Dominator gives damage, armor and lifesteal, which means more tankiness and last hitting power. It is also useful because you can dominate a creep and use it to stack a neutral camp remotely, possibly the ancient camp. Once stacked one or two times, you can clear it to gain a burst of gold and experience.
- Armlet of Mordiggian gives damage, attack speed, and a nice boost in strength when activated; likewise compliments a Helm of The Dominator / Satanic pickup
- Assault Cuirass gives attack speed and armor to you and surrounding allies. It also places a debuff on enemies, making them easier to kill. It's a good item if you have many auto-attackers in your team.
- Pipe of Insight give more survivability and tankiness for both you and your team against magic damage, the bonus health regen is also very useful.
- Blink Dagger allows you to chase opponents or escape from them, likewise gives you some initiating power.
- Satanic is the upgrade to your Helm of the Dominator: it grants more Strength and more lifesteal, making you both durable and able to deal high damage.
- Daedalus makes you deal more damage, and gives you the chance to make critical hits.
- Sange and Yasha provides you with more Strength, more Agility, more damage and more attack speed. Other than this, the added movement speed and its greater maim make chasing enemies easier.
- Dragon Knight is one of the few heroes with no cast-time on his abilities, so spells can be cast in between attacks on the backswing animation.
- Dragon Tail is a powerful ability to have and should be taken before other abilities, but it levels poorly. Some players even choose to take Attribute Bonus over further levels in it.
- Many guides recommend not leveling Elder Dragon Form at level 11, but those guides are outdated. Prior to version 6.78, the Red Dragon did not carry over the corrosive effect from the Green Dragon, which made it inferior at pushing down towers. It is no longer necessary to skip leveling the ultimate at level 11. As of version 6.81, the corrosive effect also carry over to the Blue Dragon.
- The splash attack from Red and Blue Dragon form is useful for clearing ancient creep stacks which can provide Dragon Knight a large gold boost. With a Helm of the Dominator Dragon Knight can even stack the ancient creep camps with a creep by himself.
- Soul Ring is a useful item on Dragon Knight, as it allows him to farm using Breathe Fire constantly. The extra health regeneration from Soul Ring together with the regeneration from Dragon Blood offset the health loss.
- Elder Dragon Form changes Dragon Knight attack from melee to ranged, keep this in mind when building items as it will also change the effect of items like Mirror Image, damage block, bash chance, cleave or lifesteal aura from Vladmir's Offering.
- Frost Breath and Corrosive Breath are not unique attack modifiers as such they will stack with items granting unique attack modifiers.
- Lifesteal is a good UAM to have when using an Armlet of Mordiggian, however does not lifesteal off of the corrosive breath and splash damage.
- Desolator improves Dragon Knight's tower pushing and increases his damage. It also synergizes with an Assault Cuirass pickup and creates a huge armor disparity.
- Maelstrom and its upgrade Mjollnir supplements Dragon Knight's damage output and provides a useful deterrent against attacking enemies.
- Eye of Skadi is an interesting item to build on Dragon Knight as it provides another slow that stacks with lifesteal from Satanic and Mask of Madness, the Frost Breath from your ultimate and also pierces spell immunity just like Frost Breath. This will reduce an enemy's damage output significantly and make it hard for enemy heroes to disengage from a fight once they are attacked by Dragon Knight. It also provides a huge health boost rivaling Heart of Tarrasque and can be considered as an offense oriented replacement as it also provides intelligence and armor increasing your overall effective health.
- A Blink Dagger or a Shadow Blade will solve Dragon Knight's mobility problem and will allow him to initiate with Dragon Tail.
- However, if your team already has an initiator and you don't need to initiate, Sange and Yasha will work just as well and provide more durability.
- Dragon Knight has a high Effective health against physical damage due to his high armor even at the early stages of the match, however he is still vulnerable to nukes and disables as with most heroes. A Black King Bar will solve this problem and will grant a bit of extra damage and health.
- Even though Dragon Knight already has a huge amount of armor, building armor items like Assault Cuirass, Shiva's Guard, Crimson Guard and Blade Mail is still viable as it will make you almost unkillable by physical damage and because most armor items provide some sort of utility.
- Always remember that even if you're very durable doesn't mean that the rest of your team is and the enemy team might just choose to dispatch of you last. Make sure to build damage increasing items like Mjollnir and/or Daedalus or even a Divine Rapier to make the enemy team choose between attacking your teammates but let you deal damage, or focus on you but let your teammates attack them.
- In DotA, Dragon Knight's fun name was Trogdor, the playable character of a mini game from the Homestar Runner universe.
- He also has an alternate name when he transforms with his ultimate in DotA, in which he is named "Arc Honist".
- Dragon Tail is the longest (guaranteed) level 1 single target stun in the game. Mirana's Sacred Arrow can stun up to 5 seconds at level 1, but must travel at least 1500 range and as such is difficult to hit with.
July 18, 2013 Patch
July 12, 2013 Patch
- Updated ability icons for Dark Seer and Dragon Knight.
March 28, 2013 Patch
February 14, 2013 Patch
February 07, 2013 Patch
November 08, 2012 Patch
August 09, 2012 Patch
- [Undocumented] Added victory animations for Anti-Mage and Dragon Knight.
July 05, 2012 Patch
- [Undocumented] Added teleport (start & end) animations for Death Prophet, Doom and Dragon Knight.
- [Undocumented] Added spawn animations for Doom and Dragon Knight.
May 10, 2012 Patch
April 19, 2012 Patch
- [Undocumented] Added injured attack animations and injured idle animations for Dragon Knight.
March 22, 2012 Patch
- [Undocumented] Updated Dragon Knight's texture to be more orange.
March 08, 2012 Patch
February 16, 2012 Patch
January 12, 2012 Patch
November 17, 2011 Patch
November 10, 2011 Patch
November 03, 2011 Patch
May 26, 2011 Patch
March 17, 2011 Patch
March 12, 2011 Patch
- Fixed an issue where when Dragon Knight in his Elder Dragon Form was affected by hex, he would sometimes not change to the new model.
- Corrosive Breath passive from Level 1 and 2 Elder Dragon Form now carries over to Level 3.
- Reduced armor from 2 to 1 (total armor is now 3.66).
- Increased Dragon Blood armor bonus from 2/4/6/8 to 3/6/9/12.
- Elder Dragon Form
- No longer grants 0/5/14 attack damage bonus.
- Rescaled splash damage radius:
- 100% splash radius from 75 to 100.
- 75% splash radius from 150 to 200.
- 50% splash radius remains the same (250).
- Undid melee hero collision change from 6.72c.
- Melee hero collision size now reduced from 24 to 12.
- Increased attack range from 125 to 128.
- Increased Breathe Fire damage from 75/150/225/300 to 90/170/240/300.
- Reduced Breathe Fire manacost from 100/115/130/150 to 100/110/120/130.
- Elder Dragon Form
- Improved attack animation from 0.94/0.56 to 0.5/0.5.
- Increased cooldown from 100 to 115.
- Elder Dragon Form
- Reduced manacost from 100/150/200 to 50 on each level.
- Reduced cooldown from 135 to 100.
- Fixed Elder Dragon Form lasting 2 second too short (it lost 2 seconds of it since it no longer uses a transformation time).
- Increased base agility and gain from 17 + 1.7 to 19 + 2.2.
- Elder Dragon Form
- Reduced manacost from 175/225/300 to 100/150/200.
- Increased Corrosive Breath damage from 8 to 20.
- Corrosive Breath now damages buildings.
- Reduced Breathe Fire damage from 85/170/255/320 to 75/150/225/300.
- Elder Dragon Form
- Dragon Knight can no longer be Tossed while under the effeect of Elder Dragon Form.
- No longer grants a health bonus (100/200/0 -> 0).
- No longer uses 1 second transformation time.
- Breathe Fire no longer causes a small damage over time on units which were affected by Drunken Haze upon hit (this behaviour was never intended).
- Dragon Tail
- Reduced stun duration from 2.5/2.75/3.1/3.35 to 2.5/2.75/3/3.25.
- Rescaled damage from 0/50/100/150 to 25/50/75/100.
- Elder Dragon Form
- Frost breath no longer freezes buildings (Freeze fully disabled buildings).
- Reduced Frost breath duration from 10 to 3.
- This ability replaced Dragon Blood in the 6.00 gameplay patch, and was replaced back by Dragon Blood in the 6.03 gameplay patch.
- Applies a blind on the target unit.
- Any attack Dragon Knight makes on the target while it has the debuff can cause him to deal extra damage or stun it.
- Wether or not both can proc on the same attack is unknown.
- Hitting a unit with Breathe Fire while it has the Roar debuff on, will cause it to burst in flames, taking damage over time.
- Deals 7/14/21/21 damage per second for 5 seconds, resulting in 35/70/105/105 damage.
- This ability replaced Dragon Tail in the 6.00 gameplay patch, and was replaced back by Dragon Tail in the 6.03 gameplay patch.
- Does not interrupt Dragon Knight's channeling spells upon toggling.
- The attack damage reduction is not shown in the hud when toggled on.
Steam profile background art
Dragon Knight revealed in the Gamescon Trailer
Alpha textures from 2011 as seen in the trailer, featuring new shield design
More recent beta textures from 2012 as seen on the hero icon and Dragon Blood's ability icon, currently replaced
New textures to avoid similarities between Dragon Knight and Silencer