Davion the Dragon Knight is a very tough melee strength hero with a relatively versatile skill set. Dragon Knight has a nuke and a stun, giving him an advantage in ganks. Dragon Knight has no real escape ability, though his Dragon Blood ability and armor make him capable of withstanding strong hits and recovering quickly. He is still very vulnerable in the early game, however, and needs to farm and stay alive in order to be effective in later stages. If he has enough levels and farm, Dragon Knight is very formidable late game due to his strong ultimate, transforming into a legendary dragon, one of the most dangerous beasts in late game, capable of eliminating multiple enemies at once.
Bio[edit | edit source]
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Dragon Knight is a strength melee hero carry. His first spell, Breathe Fire is his farming and harassing skill that deals decent damage and lowers attack damage of enemy heroes. His second spell is a stun that increases cast range while in Elder Dragon Form. His third ability is the passive skill that makes him so tanky, increasing his armor and health regen, allowing him to take as much damage as he can dish. His Elder Dragon form has three different variations that level up and retains attack modifiers across all levels. When in Elder Dragon form, his damage and speed increases, making it easier to push and take down a tower. An essential part of dragon knight is reaching level 6 as soon as possible and farming often as his utility lies in his attack modifiers with his dragon breath.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
|Unleashes a breath of fire in front of Dragon Knight that burns enemies and reduces the damage their attacks deal.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Cast Range: 500
Starting Radius: 150
Travel Distance: 650
End Radius: 250
Attack Damage Reduction: 35%
Reduction Duration: 11
- Breathe Fire travels at a speed of 1050.
- Can hit units up to 900 range away (650 distance + 250 end radius).
- The complete area is shaped like a cone.
- Only reduces base attack damage and that granted from attributes. Does not reduce raw damage bonuses.
- Has a cast backswing of 0.5 seconds during Elder Dragon Form.
|Dragon Knight smites an enemy unit in melee range with his shield, stunning it while dealing minor damage. When in Elder Dragon Form, the cast range increases to 400.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Cast Range: 150 ( 400)
Stun Duration: 2.5/2.75/3/3.25
- During Elder Dragon Form the cast range is 400.
- The effects are still applied instantly upon cast.
|The life blood of the Dragon improves health regeneration and strengthens armor.|
|Health Regen Bonus: 3/6/9/12|
Armor Bonus: 3/6/9/12
- Directly increases health regeneration, so it restores 0.3/0.6/0.9/1.2 health in 0.1 second intervals.
- Restores 180/360/540/720 health in one minute.
|Elder Dragon Form|
| Dragon Knight takes the form of one of three powerful elder dragons, increasing his damage, speed, and Dragon Tail's range, while granting him new powers.|
LEVEL 1: Green Dragon - Corrosive Breath: attacks deal 20 poison damage per second for 5 seconds. Works on structures.
|Cast Animation: +|
Attack Range Bonus: 350
Move Speed Bonus: 25
Dragon Tail Cast Range Bonus: 250
Dragon Form Duration: 60
- Increases Dragon Knight's movement speed to 315 and attack range to 500 while giving him ranged attack properties. His attack projectile travels at a speed of 900.
- Level 1 transforms him into a green dragon, level 2 into a red dragon and level 3 into a blue dragon.
- Elder Dragon Form is fully canceled on death.
- Successive casts of Elder Dragon Form refresh the duration and update the form, if the spell was leveled up between casts.
- During Elder Dragon Form, Dragon Knight's attacks have the following attack modifiers:
- Corrosive Breath: (Available for Level 1, Level 2 & Level 3 Elder Dragon Form)
- Damage per Second: 20
- Duration: 5
- Damage Type: Magical
- Deals damage in 1 second intervals, starting 1 second after debuff is applied, resulting in 5 instances.
- Can deal up to 100 damage to a unit (before reductions).
- Does not work against wards, works against allied units.
- Corrosive Breath fully affects buildings, meaning it can also be used to deny allied towers.
- Successive hits do not stack, they refresh the duration.
- Splash Attack: (Available for Level 2 & level 3 Elder Dragon Form)
- 100% Splash Radius: 150
- 75% Splash Radius: 225
- 50% Splash Radius: 300
- Damage Type: Physical
- Frost Breath: (Available for Level 3 Elder Dragon Form)
- Slow Radius: 300
- Move Speed Slow: 30%
- Attack Speed Slow: 20
- Slow Duration: 3
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
- Dragon Knight's passive Dragon Blood can keep him in lane with minimum health regeneration, so a single set of Tangoes is normally sufficient.
- Quelling Blade makes last hitting easier, which is very important for a carry.
- One Clarity is needed because of Dragon Knight's poor mana pool.
- Gauntlets of Strength grant more health, and can be used to build a Bracer.
- One Iron Branch gives nice attributes, and can be used to build a Magic Wand.
- Boots of Speed are compulsory because of the early speed boost they give.
- Magic Stick provides you with some regeneration while laning.
- Bracer is a good early game item: it gives more attributes and some damage.
- Power Treads are useful not only because of the attack speed they give, but also because you can switch the attribute to Intelligence if you need more mana, usually just before using an ability; otherwise you can keep them on Strength to make you more durable and to make last hitting easier.
- Magic Wand provides you with more attributes and good health and mana regeneration. Also, it uses up the branches bought earlier, making room for more items while keeping their stats.
- Black King Bar is a good item to have if you are facing many disablers or nukers. With the added survivability, damage and magic immunity, you become more durable and able to jump into the fight with less risk of dying.
- Heart of Tarrasque is the best item to buy if you need to be more tanky. Not only it provides you with more than 1000 HP and a passive ability to gain health more quickly, but it also adds 40 damage.
- Heaven's Halberd is a good item both offensively and defensively: it gives more damage, more strength and some evasion. Its maim is nice for chasing enemies, and its disarm is a nice counter to auto-attackers and carries.
- Shadow Blade gives good mobility, the stealth allows you to initiate using your stun, and the bonus damage coming out of stealth is also helpful.
- Helm of the Dominator gives damage, armor and lifesteal, which means more tankiness and last hitting power. It is also useful because you can dominate a creep and use it to stack a neutral camp remotely, possibly the ancient camp. Once stacked one or two times, you can clear it to gain a burst of gold and experience.
- Armlet of Mordiggian gives damage, attack speed, and a nice boost in strength when activated; likewise compliments a Helm of The Dominator / Satanic pickup
- Assault Cuirass gives attack speed and armor to you and surrounding allies. It also places a debuff on enemies, making them easier to kill. It is a good item if you have many auto-attackers in your team.
- Pipe of Insight give more survivability and tankiness for both you and your team against magic damage, the bonus health regen is also very useful.
- Blink Dagger allows you to chase opponents or escape from them, likewise gives you some initiating power.
- Satanic is the upgrade to your Helm of the Dominator: it grants more strength and more lifesteal, making you both durable and able to deal high damage.
- Daedalus makes you deal more damage, and gives you the chance to make critical hits.
- Sange and Yasha provides you with more strength, more agility, more damage and more attack speed. Other than this, the added movement speed and its greater maim make chasing enemies easier.
Counters[edit | edit source]
- Lich can spam Frost Blast at Davion from a safe range and can regenerate the lost mana by using Sacrifice.
- Lifestealer has very little issues in dealing with Dragon Knight's bulk as he can easily regenerate whatever lost health with Feast, while Rage keeps him from being stunned with Dragon Tail and Open Wounds prevents Davion from simply running away.
- Slardar can chase Davion down with Sprint and stun him with both Slithereen Crush and his passive bash. He can also use Amplify Damage to whittle Davion's armor.
- Elder Titan can completely eliminate Davion's base armor with Natural Order and may also be able to chase him down with Astral Spirit.
- Shadow Fiend's Presence of the Dark Lord reduces Davion's armor considerably, and his strong base attacks are augmented by his Necromastery.
- Items that reduce Davion's armor cause issues for his durability in fights. As such, Desolator and Cuirass' armor reducing effects become problematic, especially in the hands of other bulky heroes like the aforementioned Lifestealer.
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Dragon Knight is one of the few heroes with no cast-time on his abilities, so spells can be cast in between attacks on the backswing animation.
- Dragon Tail is a powerful ability to have and should be taken before other abilities, but it levels poorly. Some players even choose to take Attribute Bonus over further levels in it.
- Many guides recommend not leveling Elder Dragon Form at level 11, but those guides are outdated. Prior to version 6.78, the Red Dragon did not carry over the corrosive effect from the Green Dragon, which made it inferior at pushing down towers. It is no longer necessary to skip leveling the ultimate at level 11. As of version 6.81, the corrosive effect also carries over to the Blue Dragon.
- The splash attack from Red and Blue Dragon form is useful for clearing ancient creep stacks which can provide Dragon Knight a large gold boost. With a Helm of the Dominator Dragon Knight can even stack the ancient creep camps with a creep by himself.
- Soul Ring is a useful item on Dragon Knight, as it allows him to farm using Breathe Fire constantly. The extra health regeneration from Soul Ring together with the regeneration from Dragon Blood offset the health loss.
- Elder Dragon Form changes Dragon Knight attack from melee to ranged, keep this in mind when building items as it also changes the effect of items like Manta Style, damage block, bash chance and cleave.
- Frost Breath and Corrosive Breath are not unique attack modifiers, so they are stackable with items granting unique attack modifiers.
- Lifesteal is a good UAM to have when using an Armlet of Mordiggian, however does not lifesteal off of the corrosive breath and splash damage.
- Desolator improves Dragon Knight's tower pushing and increases his damage. It also synergizes with an Assault Cuirass pickup and creates a huge armor disparity.
- Maelstrom and its upgrade Mjollnir supplements Dragon Knight's damage output and provides a useful deterrent against attacking enemies.
- Eye of Skadi is an interesting item to build on Dragon Knight as it provides a slow that stacks with lifesteal from Satanic and Mask of Madness that also pierces spell immunity just like the Frost Breath from your level 3 Dragon Form. Cold Attack combined with Frost Breath reduces an enemy's damage output significantly and makes it hard for enemy heroes to disengage from a fight once they are attacked by Dragon Knight. It also provides a huge health boost rivaling Heart of Tarrasque and can be considered as an offense oriented replacement as it also provides intelligence that helps with your mana consumption, and agility which gives attack speed for more DPS and armor that increases your overall effective health.
- A Blink Dagger or a Shadow Blade solves Dragon Knight's mobility problem and allows him to initiate with Dragon Tail.
- However, if your team already has an initiator and you do not need to initiate, Sange and Yasha works just as well and provides more durability.
- Dragon Knight has a high Effective health against physical damage due to his high armor even at the early stages of the match, however he is still vulnerable to nukes and disables as with most heroes. A Black King Bar solves this problem and grants a bit of extra damage and health.
- Always remember that even if you are very durable does not mean that the rest of your team is and the enemy team might just choose to dispatch of you last. Make sure to build damage increasing items like Mjollnir and/or Daedalus or even a Divine Rapier to make the enemy team choose between attacking your teammates but let you deal damage, or focus on you but let your teammates attack them.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In DotA, Dragon Knight's fun name was Trogdor, a character that first appeared in episode 58 of the “Strong Bad e-mail” show on the website HomestarRunner.com.
- He also has an alternate name when he transforms with his ultimate in DotA, in which he is named "Arc Honist".
- Dragon Tail is the longest (guaranteed) level 1 single target stun in the game. Mirana's Sacred Arrow can stun up to 5 seconds at level 1, but must travel at least 1500 range and as such is difficult to hit with.
Update history[edit | edit source]
Balance changelog[edit | edit source]
Replaced abilities[edit | edit source]
|Releases a bestial roar, directed at a particular enemy unit. The unit becomes intimidated, and misses 20% of its attacks. That unit becomes susceptible to Davion's attacks: that unit can take 125 bonus damage or be stunned by Davion's attacks. Lasts 6 seconds.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Cast Range: 500
Miss Chance: 25%
Proc Chance: 12%/24%/36%/48%
Proc Damage: 125
Proc Stun Duration: 2
Debuff Duration: 6
- This ability replaced Dragon Blood in the 6.00 gameplay patch, and was replaced back by Dragon Blood in the 6.03 gameplay patch.
- Applies a blind on the target unit.
- Any attack Dragon Knight makes on the target while it has the debuff can cause him to deal extra damage or stun it.
- The proc effect occurs at the beginning of Dragon Knight's attack, rather than as the attack lands.
- Whenever the effect procs, the target has a 60% chance to receive the bonus damage. Otherwise, it receives the stun effect.
- Hitting a unit with Breathe Fire while it has the Roar debuff on, causes it to burst in flames, taking damage over time.
- Deals 7/14/21/21 damage per second for 5 seconds, resulting in 35/70/105/105 damage.
|Davion enters into a defensive state and hardens his skin, making him resilient to physical damage. Reduces his attack damage by 30% and move speed by 20%.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Move Speed Slow: 20%
Attack Damage Reduction: 30%
Armor Bonus: 5/10/15/20
Gallery[edit | edit source]
New textures to avoid similarities between Dragon Knight and Silencer