Davion the Dragon Knight is a very tough melee strength hero with a relatively versatile skill set. Dragon Knight has a nuke and a stun, giving him an advantage in ganks. Dragon Knight has no real escape ability, though his Dragon Blood ability and armor make him capable of withstanding strong hits and recovering quickly. He is still very vulnerable in the early game, however, and needs to farm and stay alive in order to be effective in later stages. If he has enough levels and farm, Dragon Knight is very formidable late game due to his strong ultimate, transforming into a legendary dragon, turning him into one of the most dangerous beasts in late game, capable of eliminating multiple enemies at once.
- Dragon Knight is one of the few heroes with no cast-time on his abilities, so spells can be cast in between attacks on the backswing animation.
- Dragon Tail is a powerful ability to have and should be taken before other abilities, but it levels poorly. Some players even choose to take Attribute Bonus over further levels in it.
- Many guides recommend not leveling Elder Dragon Form at level 11, but those guides are outdated. Prior to version 6.78, the Red Dragon did not carry over the corrosive effect from the Green Dragon, which made it inferior at pushing down towers. Due to the recent patch, it is no longer necessary to skip leveling the ultimate at level 11.
- The splash attack from Red and Blue Dragon form is useful for clearing ancient creep stacks which can provide Dragon Knight a large gold boost. With a Helm of the Dominator Dragon Knight can even stack the ancient creep camps with lane creeps by himself.
- Soul Ring is a useful item on Dragon Knight, as it allows him to farm using Breathe Fire constantly, and the extra regeneration from Soul Ring and Dragon Blood offsets the health loss.
- Elder Dragon Form changes Dragon Knight attack from melee to ranged, keep this in mind when building items as it will also change the effect of items like damage block, bash chance or cleave.
- Frost Breath and Corrosive Breath are not unique attack modifiers which means that they will stack with items granting unique attack modifiers.
- Lifesteal however does not benefit from Corrosive Breath because it is not physical damage.
- Eye of Skadi is an interesting item to build on Dragon Knight as it provides another slow that stacks with Frost Breath and also pierces spell immunity. This will reduce an enemy's damage output significantly and make it hard for enemy heroes to disengage from a fight once they are attacked by Dragon Knight. It also provides a huge HP boost rivaling Heart of Tarrasque and can be considered a replacement.
- A Blink Dagger will solve Dragon Knight's mobility problem and will allow him to initiate with Dragon Tail.
- In DotA, Dragon Knight's fun name was Trogdor, the playable character of a mini game from the Homestar Runner universe.
- He also has an alternate name when he transforms with his ultimate in DotA, in which he is named "Arc Honist". This has been removed in Dota 2.
- Dragon Tail is the longest (guaranteed) level 1 stun in the game. Mirana's Sacred Arrow can stun up to 5 seconds at level 1, but must travel at least 1500 units and as such is difficult to hit with.
- Fixed Dragon Blood's bonus armor not showing properly in the UI.
- Updated ability icons for Dark Seer and Dragon Knight.
- Fixed Dragon Blood armor bonus not carrying over to Illusions.
- Fixed Elder Dragon Form frost slow getting dispelled when target initially becomes Magic Immune.
- Fixed some wave speed issues with Crypt Swarm, Dual Breath, Breathe Fire, Dragon Slave, Illuminate, Sonic Wave and Shockwave.
- Breathe Fire:
- Fixed Elder Dragon Form not splashing on siege units.
- [Undocumented] Added victory animations for Anti-Mage and Dragon Knight.
- [Undocumented] Added teleport (start & end) animations for Death Prophet, Doom Bringer and Dragon Knight.
- [Undocumented] Added spawn animations for Doom Bringer and Dragon Knight.
- Fixed very minor inaccuracy on Elder Dragon Form attack range.
- [Undocumented] Added injured attack animations.
- [Undocumented] Added injured idle animations.
- Fixed Elder Dragon Form's Corrosive Breath and Frost Breath working with Dragon Knight illusions.
- Dragon Knight plays a range*enabled effect when Dragon Tail is cast while in dragon form.
- Fixed Elder Dragon Form Frost Breath slowing units while Doomed.
- Fixed unit targeting behavior being bugged for the following abilities: Crypt Swarm, Dragon Slave, Breathe Fire.
- Fixed Elder Dragon Form attack properties getting lost when he is purged/ repelled.
- Fixed Omniknight and Dragon Knight legacy keys.
- Added more movement lines for Dazzle, Dark Seer, Dragon Knight, Nature's Prophet, Huskar, Riki, Skeleton King, Slardar, Spectre, and Jakiro.
- Fixed Corrosive Breath being lethal.
- Fixed Breathe Fire not working on Siege units.
- Enabled Omniknight and Dragon Knight in Captain's Mode.
- Cleaned up some Dragon Knight effects.
- Updated Dragon Knight's run and idle animations.
- Added Dragon Knight and Omniknight!
- Fixed Elder Dragon Form from being purgable.
- Fixed an issue where when Dragon Knight in his Elder Dragon Form was affected by Voodoo (frog or chicken), he would sometimes not change to the new model.
- Elder Dragon Form level 3 now maintains the Corrosive Breath ability from levels 1 and 2
- Dragon Tail cooldown rescaled from 9 to 12/11/10/9.
- Corrosive Breath passive from Level 1 Elder Dragon Form now carries over to Level 2.
- Armor decreased by 1.
- Dragon Blood armor bonus increased from 2/4/6/8 to 3/6/9/12.
- Elder Dragon Form
- Level 2/3 no longer gives bonus damage (was 5/14).
- Level 2/3 splash area rescaled slightly:
- 100% splash AoE increased from 75 to 100.
- 75% splash AoE increased from 150 to 200.
- 50% splash AoE remains the same.
- Undid melee hero collision change from 6.72c
- Melee hero collision size now reduced from 24 to 12.
- Breathe Fire damage rescaled from 75/150/225/300 to 90/170/240/300.
- Rebalanced all Melee heroes between 100 and 128 range to be 128 range
- Dragon Knight previously had 125 range.
- Dragon Blood regeneration increased from 1/2/3/4 to 2/3/4/5.
- Changed Elder Dragon Form Form MS Bonus from 10/35/60 to a constant 25.
- Improved Elder Dragon Form attack animation.
- Reduced Dragon Knight's Breathe Fire manacost.
- Undid a portion of the cooldown buff done on Elder Dragon Form Form last version.
- Lowered Elder Dragon Form's manacost and cooldown a little.
- Improved Dragon Knight's Agility base and growth
- Restored the old armor bonus on Dragon's Blood
- Minor armor buff (usually 1) to most melee heroes
- Elder Form does not grant bonus hp
- Breath of Fire reduced from 85/170/255/320 to 75/150/225/300
- Balance tweaks done to the following heroes (Don't panic, these are mostly VERY minor, but you guys like to know, so here):
- Broodmother, Sven, SA, Enigma, Ursa, Tinker, Tiny, Sniper, Troll, Rhasta, Bristleback, Dragon Knight, Venomancer, Viper, Spiritbreaker, Bounty Hunter, Jugg, VS, Zeus, Weaver, Tide Hunter, Enchantress and Silencer.
- Minor tweaks to dragon tail
- DK frost does not freeze towers
- DK frost duration nerfed from 10 to 3 seconds
New textures to avoid similarities between Dragon Knight and Silencer