Lucifer, otherwise known as Doom, is a melee strength Hero with strong farming capabilities, good versatility, and one of the strongest single-target spells in the game. His very low starting armor makes him vulnerable to harassment, but his abilities and high health allow him to lane or even jungle quite effectively. As a ruthless demon, he possesses malicious abilities revolving around greed, fire, and death. His Devour ability allows him to consume creeps, providing additional gold and allowing him to absorb any powers that creep had, which potentially allows him to have up to six total hero abilities. Because there are numerous neutral creep abilities to choose from to supplement his other abilities, the role that he chooses to play is quite flexible. Scorched Earth serves numerous purposes, allowing him to chase, escape, regenerate, and slowly burn his enemies all at once. LVL? Death is a spammable nuke that does either modest or massive damage to the enemy, depending on the enemy's level. Finally, his namesake ult Doom serves as one of the strongest single target lockdown abilities in the game. A unit afflicted with Doom takes intense damage over a lengthy duration, while having all his active abilities - even those from items - completely silenced. With numerous expensive items in his arsenal and a key enemy hero rendered useless for a teamfight, a farmed Doom ensures that nobody can extinguish his flame.
- Doom has very poor Agility gain and one of the lowest starting armor in the game so it is often essential to tank him up with armor items such as Assault Cuirass and Shiva's Guard to make his high HP go farther against physical attacks.
- Be aware of heroes that commonly build Linken's Sphere as casting Doom on them will result in it being completely wasted. Cast LVL? Death on them first to burn the Linken's Sphere cooldown before casting Doom.
- Always make sure to never max out LVL? Death, but instead level it when your enemies are in multiples of 6,5,4, and 3 in order to make it hit as hard as possible.
- Necronomicon is a very strong item on Doom, since Scorched Earth will heal your summons as well. The item also gives Doom valuable intelligence.
- Unlike other melee heroes, Doom has 150 attack range (while the normal melee hero has 128 attack range)
- With an Aghanim's Scepter, the potential total damage your ultimate can deal is practically infinite assuming that the target cannot distance himself 900 units away from Doom for 16 seconds. You can kill enemy heroes that is particularly hard to shut down by just chasing them while they are Doomed. Items such as Sange and Yasha, Eye of Skadi, Shiva's Guard and other movement granting items would make Doom able to chase particularly well when combined with Scorched Earth.
- Due to the recent changes to Doom's ultimate, Aghanim's Scepter is now practically a core item because it is needed to disable passive abilities of enemy heroes. Without it, you will find heroes such as Faceless Void or Phantom Assassin incredibly hard to shut down.
- Cast Doom early in teamfights - the huge 15 second duration can render spell-dependent nukers such as Zeus or Lina virtually useless. Alternatively, if you can catch an enemy hero carrying key support items like Mekansm and Pipe of Insight you can prevent those items from being used during the subsequent fight. Same tactic should be adopted against teams that rely on team-fight oriented abilities like Omniknight's Guardian Angel or Enigma's Black Hole.
- Remember that Doom disables passives when upgraded with an Aghanim's Scepter, If there is enemy heroes such as Phantom Assassin, Faceless Void, Huskar or Lifestealer in the enemy team that rely on their strong passives to deal damage, do not hesitate to use it on them to remove their fighting capabilities especially if they're the only one the enemy team who has the capability to carry.
- Make use of Devour's ability steal to give yourself and your team useful neutral creep abilities like stuns, slows, ensnares, or different types of auras.
- Dark Troll Summoner is one of the best creeps to devour for a jungling Doom in early game. It gives Raise Dead, allowing you to summon two skeleton warriors who can tank creeps for you.
- Another useful creep for jungling is Satyr Tormenter, its Unholy Aura provides great health regeneration (4 health/second), and can also be used while laning to help you and allies hold lane longer. The Shockwave nuke has a high mana cost, but has good range and moderate cooldown, which you can use to finish off fleeing enemies with low health. In the early stages of the game, it can also be used to effectively harass your opponents in-lane.
- Satyr Mindstealer's Mana Burn could be used to prevent heroes with small mana pool such as Sven or Chaos Knight from attempting an early kill. It could also be used against lane supports to prevent them from assisting their carries.
- Hill Troll Priest's heal and mana regeneration aura are good for laning as well. The low mana cost healing spell can be useful against heroes who deal damage over time like Venomancer, Viper, or Axe.
- In midgame, you may opt for more powerful spells such as War Stomp (from Centaur Conqueror), or Ensnare (Dark Troll Summoner). A Satyr Trickster gives you a Purge spell on a very low (5 seconds) cooldown, it is a very versatile ability and is another strong choice. Remember that it has a short cast range of 350.
- In lategame, one of the best options is an Alpha Wolf with passive critical hit chance (20% for 2x damage) and 30% bonus damage aura.
- A Kobold Foreman's movement speed aura can also be useful for pushing, ganking, chasing and fleeing.
- Doom is a very versatile hero capable of assuming different roles, sometimes even at the same time, due to his ability to farm well (especially with a Hand of Midas) and ability to gain different neutral creep skills enabling him to build certain items and combinations thereof to suit what your team needs.
- as a Tank with defense items such as Vanguard, Heart of Tarrasque, and Shiva's Guard.
- as a Semi-Support with aura and team-oriented items such as Crimson Guard, Arcane Boots, Mekansm, Pipe of Insight, Vladimir's Offering and Drum of Endurance, although some players believe playing Doom as a Utility/Support is a waste of his potential.
- as a Ganker/Initiator with items such as Shadow Blade or Blink Dagger.
- He could also use this in conjunction with War Stomp to initiate.
- as a Disabler with a Refresher Orb and an Aghanim's Scepter or even a Scythe of Vyse.
- as a Hard-Carry with an Abyssal Blade and/or Mjollnir, although this is inadvisable if he is the only carry in the team because he will be outcarried by other carry heroes such as Phantom Assassin, Anti-Mage etc.
- Doom however enables a team to have a huge gold advantage because he can farm items without interfering with your team-mate's farm.
- Several of Doom's abilities are inspired by Final Fantasy's Blue Mages. LVL? Death was based off of the Level 5 Death ability and the mechanics of a LVL? S-flare. Devour is highly similar to Quina Quen's eat and cook ability from Final Fantasy IX. His ultimate, Doom, also shares the same name of another Blue Mage ability, but the mechanics differ.
- His name, Lucifer, is taken from the Bible's Book of Isaiah and translates roughly to "morning star". It is often used to refer to the Biblical Devil (or Satan), thus fitting Doom's evil and demonic image.
- Doom's ultimate icon depicts a pentacle which, despite its popular connotation as Satanic/"evil" mark, is actually a Pagan symbol of protection. For its common "evil" symbolism to apply, the pentagram has to be inverted; this only occasionally occurs in-game, as the "star" inside the circle of the ability's particle effect slowly rotates.
- One of his responses upon acquiring the Invisibility rune ("PlayHeheheh, see no evil.") refers to the Three wise monkeys and their associated phrase: "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil."
- His ultimate and signature ability , Doom, derived from the ultimate of the Pit Lord, a playable hero in Warcraft III: Frozen Throne. The original ability varied in that it was only castable on non-hero units, is non-removable until death, and upon the target unit's death, it would spawn a Doomguard. The Doomguard's model was Lucifer's hero model in DotA.
- Scorched Earth now shows its duration on the buff icon.
- Fixed Doom damage being blocked by Pipe.
- Fixed Doom's interaction with Monkey King Bar and Truestrike.
- Scorched Earth now only applies damage from Doom himself, not all the units affected by his aura.
- [Undocumented]Renamed Doom Bringer to Doom.
- Fixed Doom Bringer's missing tail.
- [Undocumented] Added teleport (start & end) animations for Death Prophet, Doom Bringer and Dragon knight.
- [Undocumented] Added spawn animations for Doom Bringer and Dragon Knight.
- [Undocumented] Added injured attack and injured idle animations for Doom Bringer.
- Fixed sometimes not gaining passive bonuses when devouring a neutral.
- Fixed Sphere working under Doom (Sphere will still block Doom).
- Added additional dialog for Earthshaker, Pudge, Storm Spirit, Shadow Fiend, and Doombringer.
- The tooltip for Doom now correctly updates when Doombringer has a Scepter.
- Fixed Devour not working when eating a converted neutral creep.
- [Undocumented] Added injured animations for Doom Bringer.
- [Undocumented] Added chase animations for Doom Bringer.
- Fixed evasion not being disabled properly under Doom/Chronosphere.
- Fixed Diffusal Blade's manabreak working through Doom.
- Fixed LVL? to do bonus damage first.
- He now plays his cast animations when casting abillities from units he's devoured.
- Fixed not being able to devour lane creeps.
- Devour can now devour lane creeps.
- Scorched Earth now has no cast point.
- Doom cannot be cast on Ancients/Roshan.
- Cannot Devour another unit while devouring (mouth full, etc).
- Scorched Earth now ticks once every second for its duration.
- Scorched Earth cannot be purged.
- Scorched Earth now increases health regeneration instead of healing for X every second.
- Scorched Earth now fades immediatly when the duration expires instead of lasting for .5 longer (because it used to be an aura).
- LVL?Death now applies its damage in two events: First the regular damage and then the bonus damage.
- LVL?Death now ministuns for 0.01 instead of 0.1.
- Doom cannot be purged.
- Doom now does 13 damage ticks, starting with one at the start of the cast the last one coming 1 second before it expires.
- Fixed Doom Bringer so that when he devours a creep with no abilities, it does not clear his previously-acquired creep abilities.
- New Hero: Doom Bringer
- Now requires Aghanim's Scepter to disable passives
- Ability cast point increased from 0.3 to 0.5
- Damage type changed from Magical that pierces Spell Immunity to Pure that pierces Spell Immunity
- Damage reduced from 30/50/70 to 20/35/50 (Aghanim's Scepter from 50/80/110 to 40/60/80)
- Devour manacost rescaled from 60/50/40/30 to 60.
- Doom damage no longer ignores magic shields.
- Applies to shields such as the barrier from Pipe of Insight.
- Now disables Borrowed Time, Berserker's Blood, Greater Bash and Corrosive Skin.
- Cooldown reduced from 110 to 100.
- Now removes positive buffs on the target before applying the debuff.
- Aghanim's Scepter AoE requirement increased from 550 to 900.
- This is the AoE that is considered when freezing the duration of Aghanim's Scepter upgraded Doom.
- Scorched Earth now also affects other units you control
- Doom now has too much armor! (+1)
- Doom duration increased from 13 to 15 (and scepter from 14 to 16).
- Creep level restriction removed.
- Cooldown from 60/55/50/45 to 70/60/50/40.
- Gold from 40/60/80/100 to 25/50/75/100.
- Manacost from 60 to 60/50/40/30.
- LVL? Death
- Bonus damage now deals 20% of Max HP instead of a fixed amount (275).
- Damage increased from 100/150/200/250 to 125/175/225/275.
- Scorched Earth damage/heal increased from 12/16/20/24 to 12/18/24/30.
- LVL? Death bonus damage increased from 250 to 275.
- Scorched Earth duration increased from 8/10/12/14 to 10/12/14/16.
- Undid melee hero collision change from 6.72c
- Melee hero collision size now reduced from 24 to 12.
- Scorched Earth damage and health regeneration reduced from 15/20/25/30 to 12/16/20/24.
- Base armor reduced by 2.
- Doom cast range reduced from 650 to 550.
- LVL? Death mana cost rescaled from 85/105/125/145 to 110.
- Scorched Earth
- Mana cost increased from 60 to 60/65/70/75.
- Movement speed bonus reduced from 20% to 16%.
- Starting intelligence reduced from 16 to 13.
- Added to Captain's Mode.
- Reduced base armor by 2
- Reduced base movement speed by 10
- Increased Scorched Earth cooldown from 60/50/40/30 to 60/55/50/45
- Max creep level from 1/2/4/6 to 2/4/5/6.
- Bonus gold from 10/20/30/40 to 40/60/80/100.
- Cooldown from 30/25/20/15 to 60/55/50/45.
- Mana cost from 50/45/40/35 to 60.
- Now gains the abilities of the target neutral creep has until you devour another creep with abilities to replace it.
- Scorched Earth reworked.
- Old Scorched Earth:
- Large aoe castable.
- MS Bonus: 10/15/20/30%
- AS Bonus: 10/15/20/30%
- Deals: 1/2/3/4 dps
- Heals: 1/2/3/4 dps
- Duration: 20
- CD: 10
- Manacost: 60
- Cast Range: 800
- AOE: 700
- New Scorched Earth:
- Temporary effect around you. Earth is scorched wherever you are walking.
- MS Bonus: 20%
- Damage: 15/20/25/30
- Heals: 15/20/25/30
- Duration: 8/10/12/14
- Cooldown: 60/50/40/30
- Manacost: 60
- AOE: 600
- Old Scorched Earth:
- Duration from 12/14/16 to 14 (scepter from 14/16/18 to 14).
- Damage per second from 40/60/80 to 30/50/70 (scepter from 50/70/90 to 50/80/110).
- Cooldown from 160/130/100 to 110 (scepter from 90/80/70 to 110).
- LVL? Death bonus damage is now reduced by magic resistance only rather than both magic resistance and armor.
- Reduced Doom's cooldown by 20 seconds.
- Devour's cast range increased a little from 150 to 300.
- Improved Lucifer's cast animation point.
- Rewrote Devour. It now shows progress bar overhead and doesn't reveal you.
- Reduced Doom's Scepter upgrade duration by 2 seconds
- Due to popular demand, Level Death deals it's bonus damage on level 25 as well
- Lowered Doom Scepter Upgrade damage
- Added Lucifer to Aghanim's Scepter
- Increased duration of level 2 and 3 of Doom by 2 seconds
- Minor armor buff (usually 1) to most melee heroes
- Scorched earth regen decreased
- Doom less damage/duration but a lot less cooldown also
- Lucifer lost rain of fire and gained a new ability
- Lucy now 300 base speed, up from 280.
Low Violence model