Disruptor, the Stormcrafter, is a ranged intelligence hero who requires good positioning to use his abilities effectively. His signature ability is Kinetic Field, a pseudo-disable that traps enemies within a small area for a long duration. Combined with his Static Storm, Disruptor can act as the initiator for a teamfight, or supplement his teammates' initiation very well. Glimpse is another powerful spell that forces enemies to watch their movements, as Disruptor can easily drag them back to a previous location to be focused down. Thunder Strike provides Disruptor with some reliable single-target damage, but more importantly grants vision on the target to prevent jukes and escapes.
Bio[edit | edit source]
Abilities[edit | edit source]
- When the target avoids the damage by turning invulnerable or hidden, it still deals damage around it.
- Reveals the target through the Fog of War for its duration.
- Strikes the target in 2 second intervals, starting immediately when the debuff is placed, resulting in 4 strikes.
- Can deal up to 160/240/320/400 damage to a single unit (before reductions).
- Provides 400 range flying vision for 3.34 seconds at the target's last location when the debuff expires or is removed.
- The visual effects of the spell do not appear when the target enters the Fog of War.
- Glimpse does not instantly move the target back. A projectile spawns from the target which travels towards the mark.
- The projectile travels at a speed of 600, or reaches the mark in 1.8 seconds, whichever is faster.
- The location at which the target lands after Glimpse is marked with a blue visual effect which is visible to everyone.
- The projectile provides 300 range flying vision while traveling, which lingers for 3.34 seconds at the marked location.
- The projectile blocks neutral creep camps. The mark on the ground does not.
- Does not move spell immune units, but can move invulnerable and hidden units.
- Following the general rule of position changing effects, it can cancel e.g. Time Walk or Ball Lightning.
- Doppelganger, Sleight of Fist and Activate Fire Remnant cannot be interrupted, so it can be dodged with those spells.
- Can also be dodged with Phantasm, Mirror Image, Manta Style, Snowball, Omnislash, Primal Split, Infest, Assimilate and Supernova.
- The target is given a stop command as soon as it is moved back, effectively canceling channeling spells.
- Cannot target creep-heroes.
- The effect delay is not included in the field's duration. The actual duration starts right after the delay.
- The visual and sound effects during the effect delay are visible and audible to everyone.
- Stops enemies by slowing them with a slow aura. The aura has a radius of 408 and is centered on the field.
- The slow gets exponentially stronger towards the visible barrier, which has a 340 radius.
- This effectively causes enemy units touching the barrier to come to halt.
- The slow is only present when facing towards the barrier. Units at the barrier facing away from it are not slowed.
- The aura's effect lingers for 0.5 seconds, resulting in an effective duration of 3.1/3.7/4.3/4.9.
- Since the slow is fluctuating a lot, it is not displayed in the HUD.
- Only prevents enemies from walking out of or into the area. Forced movement is not prevented and can thus get units in or out.
- A unit affected by Kinetic Field cannot be pushed with Force Staff or an allied Hurricane Pike.
- This includes enemy units inside the field, and enemy units affected by the slow aura, no matter if in or outside.
- This means an enemy not affected by the barrier at all can be pushed through it.
- Since spell immune units are fully unaffected, a self-cast Force Staff is not prevented for spell immune heroes.
- Provides 325 range ground vision at the center of the area during the effect delay and the field's duration.
- The silence is provided by an aura, which lingers for 0.5 seconds, or until the storm ends, whichever is shorter.
- Deals damage in 0.25 second intervals, starting 0.25 seconds after cast, resulting in 20 ( 28) damage instances.
- This is how much damage each interval deals (before reductions) on each level:
- Level 1: 2/5/7/10/12/15/17/20/22/25/27/30/32/35/37/40/42/45/47/50 ( /52/55/57/60/62/65/67/70) damage
- Level 2: 3/6/9/12/15/18/21/25/28/31/34/37/40/43/46/50/53/56/59/62 ( /65/68/71/75/78/81/84/87) damage
- Level 3: 3/7/11/15/18/22/26/30/33/37/41/45/48/52/56/60/63/67/71/75 ( /78/82/86/90/93/97/101/105) damage
- Can deal up to 520/648/780 ( 1009/1257/1512) damage to a single unit (before reductions).
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
- Tango and a Healing Salve give health sustain so that you can last longer in lane without going back to base.
- Clarity will allow Disruptor to maintain his mana pool in the laning stage. His mediocre base intelligence and static mana costs mean that casting spells in the early game will cost a disproportionately large amount of mana, so keeping it topped up in the early game can allow you to set up kills for your team more easily.
- Two Iron Branch are cheap and can boost Disruptor's low base stats, as well as build into either a Magic Wand or Mekansm components.
- Animal Courier should always be purchased at the start of a match by the supports. As Disruptor can be strong without early items, purchasing the courier should take priority.
- Boots of Speed is important to get early on for Disruptor. Not only does it allow him to escape pursuing enemies more easily, the extra movement speed allows him to close in to cast Glimpse more reliably, as at early levels it has a low cast range.
- Magic Stick provides burst health and mana regen, important on any low-HP support who needs to regularly cast spells. A fully-charged Magic Stick allows Disruptor to cast any of his non-ultimate spells one more time even if he is completely out of mana.
- A Bracer is a cheap purchase that provides Disruptor with useful stats, especially to his strength, giving him more HP.
- Arcane Boots is a strong boots upgrade for Disruptor, as his mediocre base intelligence and intelligence growth mean that his mana pool is not very strong until very late in the game. Increasing the size of his mana pool and giving him a way to replenish his mana allows him to always have the mana to cast what he needs, while the extra movement speed helps with positioning.
- Magic Wand is a good cheap upgrade to Magic Stick that provides all-around stats and increased charge storage. Both are necessary if playing as a hard support.
- Mekansm is a strong item to have in any teamfight. Besides the burst area heal for teammates, the item provides all-around stats as well as armor, increasing Disruptor's survivability.
- Observer Ward are crucial to have for any team, as they provide map vision and allow coordinated teams to make use of knowledge of the enemies' movements. Disruptor can greatly benefit from having vision over enemies, as Glimpse has an extremely long cast range at maximum level.
- Town Portal Scroll should always be carried no matter what hero is played. For Disruptor, being able to teleport to a gank or fight is extremely important as his powerful spells can turn engagements completely around.
- Force Staff is a good all-around item to pick up on low-farm supports like Disruptor. It is easier to build than Blink Dagger, and can be used to re-position himself, allies or enemies. The extra intelligence also gives Disruptor a bigger mana pool to work with.
- Aghanim's Scepter allows Static Storm to mute enemies, meaning that they cannot cast spells or use items, such as Black King Bar, as long as they are within its area of influence. Used properly, Disruptor can completely turn a fight to his team's advantage if he can catch the enemy unaware.
- Blink Dagger is very strong on Disruptor, as his minuscule cast animation allows him to cast his disables before most enemies are able to react. Blink Dagger allows him to close the distance instantly, giving the enemy even less chance to react.
- Shiva's Guard gives Disruptor many powerful benefits. Besides the bigger mana pool and armor, the aura can hinder enemy physical attacks by reducing their attack speed, and the active can slow enemies' movement speed, which can make it easier to pen them in with Kinetic Field.
- Pipe of Insight is a strong teamfight item that gives Disruptor survivability against magic nukes, increasing his survivability if enemy casters try to remove him from the field at the start of a fight. The active allows Disruptor to protect his team against magic nukes, giving them another edge in teamfights.
- Necronomicon gives Disruptor useful stats, and allows him to contribute more to fights by summoning minions to deal more damage to the enemy. At level 3, the Necronomicon Warrior provides True Sight, which can be extremely useful for providing vision over invisible enemy heroes so that disables can be targeted on them.
- Veil of Discord gives Disruptor good all-around stats and additional armor. The active can increase the potency of Static Storm, and weakens enemies trapped by Kinetic Field for any teammates with powerful magic nukes.
- Flying Courier is an important team item that should be bought by a support as soon as possible.
- As a support, Disruptor can benefit from buying many useful items for his team.
- Sentry Wards are very powerful on Disruptor, as he is a ranged hero who possesses a vision spell. By using Kinetic Field on ward spots after placing a Sentry Ward, he can spot any enemy Observer Wards and destroy them with ease.
- Dust of Appearance should be regularly carried if enemies have invisibility spells that they can use to escape. In Disruptor's case, being able to spot invisible enemies allows him to target them with Glimpse, followed by Kinetic Field.
- Urn of Shadows is a good utility item that gives Disruptor more flexibility and overall team contribution, as well as augmenting his ganking prowess. The item itself provides the same amount of strength as a Bracer, and a small amount of mana regen that helps maintain his mana pool. The active can be used to add more damage to a gank, or to heal teammates.
- Tranquil Boots are a cheap upgrade to Boots of Speed that provide Disruptor with survivability and mobility, useful for any hard support. The increased armor and passive HP regen can ensure that Disruptor is almost always at full health, and increases his survivability against physical attacks. The increased movement speed allows him to position for casting spells more easily, allowing him to gank more effectively.
- Medallion of Courage is a helpful utility item. Besides giving Disruptor more armor and mana regen, the active can be used to reduce the armor of gank targets, making them easier to focus down after pinning them down with Glimpse and Kinetic Field, or can give an ally increased armor in a fight. It can also be targeted on Roshan to make claiming the Aegis of the Immortal easier.
- Glimmer Cape has strong utility and increases Disruptor's flexibility. The active can be used to allow Disruptor to get closer to initiate on enemies, and allows him to provide the same benefit to allied initiators. It can also be used to protect teammates who are caught out of position, giving them tremendous resistance to magic nukes and allowing them to escape more easily if the enemy has no detection.
- Eul's Scepter of Divinity gives Disruptor many strong benefits, offensively and defensively. The item improves his mana pool and gives him strong mana regen, while the movement speed increases his mobility, allowing him to position for his spells more easily. The active can be used on himself to dispel debuffs such as silences, or on enemies to immobilize them prior to casting Kinetic Field.
- Rod of Atos improves Disruptor's survivability and gives him more mana for casting his spells. The active's long cast range allows him to place a soft disable on enemies from a great distance, which can be followed up with Kinetic Field to further limit their movements. The low cooldown on Cripple and Kinetic Field allows Disruptor to use this combination on a very low turnaround time.
- Scythe of Vyse provides Disruptor with a hard disable, something he otherwise lacks. Besides the overall attribute improvement and significantly buffed casting ability, using Hex on a target will cut their movement speed down to almost the minimum while at the same time silencing and muting them, making it a good leading disable prior to using Kinetic Field and Static Storm.
- Guardian Greaves are a logical upgrade to already-purchased Arcane Boots and Mekansm, and provides Disruptor with additional teamfight contribution. The active restores both mana and HP at the same time, and can be used to purge debuffs off of Disruptor that may be hindering him from contributing to teamfights.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Audio[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- When first released in DotA his hero title was actually "Far Seer" which is a hero title belonging to the Orc faction in Warcraft III. His title was changed to Disruptor, since the Far Seer title did not fit him.
- In DotA, his name and title is Thrall, the Disruptor. Thrall is best known as the former warchief of the Orcish Horde in the Warcraft universe. His name and title got changed to Disruptor, the Stormcrafter for copyright reasons.
- Disruptor's lore reveals that his race is called the Oglodi, while his voicelines confirm that Axe and Warlock are of the same race as he is.
- His kill response Play "You've been disrupted." is a reference to the famous AC-DC song "Thunderstruck".
- His last hitting response Play "So it goes." is a reference to a famous quote by Kurt Vonnegut in his book Slaughterhouse-Five, and is meant as a response for when death occurs.