Disjointing is the act of dodging projectiles, or rather, to cause a projectile to fully lose track of its target. A disjoint is recognized when a projectile stops tracking a moving unit. Causing a projectile to run out (expire) before hitting the target does not count as disjointing in that sense, but rather avoiding the projectile by "outrunning" it.
Disjointing itself is not granted explicitly by any effects or spells, it is instead granted as a secondary effect to other abilities.
The most common forms of disjointing are blinking and becoming invisible. Although invulnerability and hiding causes projectiles to not affect the target, they do not disjoint, since the projectile still homes and technically hits the target. Not all projectiles can be disjointed, and not all types of repositioning abilities can disjoint.
Disjointing abilities[edit | edit source]
These abilities disjoint projectiles once upon cast. The disjointing is not connected to the Forced Movement of some of the listed spells, but rather to the spells themselves. Other spells that use Forced Movement do not disjoint.
- Alchemist – Chemical Rage
- Brewmaster – Primal Split
- Chaos Knight – Phantasm
- Lifestealer – Infest
- Lone Druid – True Form
- Lone Druid – Druid Form
- Manta Style – Mirror Image
- Morphling – Waveform
- Naga Siren – Mirror Image
- Phantom Lancer – Doppelganger1
- Phoenix – Supernova2
- Puck – Phase Shift
- Riki – Tricks of the Trade
- Storm Spirit – Ball Lightning
2 Disjoints for Phoenix and the allied hero put inside (when upgraded).
Teleporting[edit | edit source]
- Anti-Mage – Blink
- Blink Dagger – Blink
- Boots of Travel – Teleport
- Chen – Test of Faith (Teleport)
- Io – Relocate1
- Keeper of the Light – Recall
- Nature's Prophet – Teleportation
- Morphling – Morph Replicate
- Puck – Ethereal Jaunt
- Queen of Pain – Blink
- Spirit Bear – Return
- Town Portal Scroll – Teleport
- Underlord – Dark Rift
- Weaver – Time Lapse
1 Only disjoints for Io upon teleporting to the targeted point. Does not disjoint for allies or upon teleporting back.
The following teleport abilities do not disjoint projectiles:
Invisibility[edit | edit source]
All abilities that grant invisibility can disjoint projectiles, unless the enemy has True Sight over the unit, in which case the projectile still keeps track of the target until it is no longer affected by True Sight. A unit does not need to be invisible as the projectile reaches it, in order to disjoint with invisibility; momentary invisibility during the projectile's flight suffices. Being out of vision range (i.e., entering the Fog of War) does not count as invisibility, for purposes of disjointing.
The following abilities disjoint projectiles if no True Sight is present:
- Bounty Hunter – Shadow Walk
- Broodmother – Spin Web
- Clinkz – Skeleton Walk
- Glimmer Cape – Glimmer
- Hawk – Invisibility
- Invisibility Rune – Invisibility
- Invoker – Ghost Walk
- Lycan Wolf – Invisibility
- Mirana – Moonlight Shadow
- Nyx Assassin – Vendetta
- Nyx Assassin – Burrow
- Riki – Cloak and Dagger
- Sand King – Sand Storm
- Shadow Amulet – Fade
- Shadow Blade – Shadow Walk
- Silver Edge – Shadow Walk
- Slark – Shadow Dance1
- Smoke of Deceit – Conceal1
- Storm – Wind Walk
- Templar Assassin – Meld
- Treant Protector – Nature's Guise
- Weaver – Shukuchi
1 Cannot be revealed with True Sight, so disjoints projectiles even while affected by True Sight.
Hiding[edit | edit source]
Becoming temporarily hidden does not disjoint projectiles. The disjointing attribute is not bound to turning hidden, but rather bound to the spells themselves. This means hiding spells not necessarily disjoint projectiles, however, with the proper timing, they can prevent projectiles, or spells in general from hitting the caster or target.
Invulnerability[edit | edit source]
Becoming invulnerable does not disjoint projectiles, but rather reduces or eliminates the effects upon impact. Attack damage as well as spell damage are ignored. There are a few spells that affect invulnerable units.
Disjointable projectiles[edit | edit source]
All physical attack projectiles of each unit and hero can be disjointed. This includes all attack modifiers (e.g. Frost Arrows, Liquid Fire), enhanced attacks (e.g. Meld, attacks with True Strike) and the secondary attack projectiles from instant attacks (e.g. Flak Cannon, Geminate Attack).
Disjointing the bounces from Moon Glaive and Death Ward does not stop the projectile from continuing to bounce. They also can immediately jump on the disjointing unit again (when not disjointed with invisibility and still within bounce range), since it is not considered as a hit and thus still a valid target for the bounces. A disjointed bounce still counts towards their bounce count.
The projectiles of the following abilities are disjointable:
- Abaddon – Mist Coil1
- Bounty Hunter – Shuriken Toss2
- Brewmaster – Drunken Haze
- Bristleback – Viscous Nasal Goo
- Broodmother – Spawn Spiderlings
- Chaos Knight – Chaos Bolt
- Chen – Penitence3
- Dazzle – Poison Touch
- Dragon Knight – Dragon Tail4
- Earth – Hurl Boulder
- Earthshaker – Echo Slam echoes
- Ethereal Blade – Ether Blast1
- Morphling – Adaptive Strike
- Mud Golem – Hurl Boulder
- Naga Siren – Ensnare
- Ogre Magi – Ignite5 6
- Oracle – Fortune's End1 6
- Phantom Assassin – Stifling Dagger
- Phantom Lancer – Spirit Lance2
- Queen of Pain – Shadow Strike
- Rod of Atos – Cripple
- Shard Golem – Hurl Boulder
- Skywrath Mage – Concussive Shot6
- Sniper – Assassinate7
- Storm – Drunken Haze
- Sven – Storm Hammer6
- Tidehunter – Gush
- Tinker – Heat-Seeking Missile
- Vengeful Spirit – Magic Missile
- Viper – Viper Strike
- Visage – Soul Assumption
- Windranger – Shackleshot
- Winter Wyvern – Splinter Blast8
- Wraith King – Wraithfire Blast
3 Penitence's projectile serves no purpose. It merely plays a sound effect and creates the glyphic symbols below the target upon reaching it.
5 Regularly cast and multicast Ignite can both be disjointed.
6 Disjointing projectiles which apply an area effect also prevents them from applying their area effect.
7 Assassinate provides True Sight over the target as Sniper begins casting, which lasts for 4 seconds, until the projectile lands, or the cast gets canceled. So it usually cannot be disjointed with invisibility, except with Shadow Dance or Smoke of Deceit.
8 The secondary projectiles of Splinter Blast can be disjointed. However, the initial projectile cannot.
Undisjointable projectiles[edit | edit source]
The following abilities are not disjointable, which means that attempting to disjoint those abilities does not cause their projectiles to lose track of the target. When their target turns invisible, they are still fully affected.
- Alchemist – Unstable Concoction
- Arc Warden – Spark Wraith
- Gyrocopter – Homing Missile
- Huskar – Life Break1
- Leshrac – Lightning Storm2
- Lich – Chain Frost
- Lina – Laguna Blade2
- Lion – Finger of Death2
- Medusa – Mystic Snake
- Mirana – Starstorm2
- Necrophos – Death Pulse
- Queen of Pain – Scream of Pain
- Rubick – Spell Steal
- Skywrath Mage – Arcane Bolt
- Spectre – Spectral Dagger
- Tiny – Toss3
- Treant Protector – Leech Seed
- Tusk – Snowball4
- Winter Wyvern – Splinter Blast5
- Witch Doctor – Paralyzing Cask
1 Huskar acts as a projectile. Though he cannot be disjointed, the spell gets immediately canceled when the distance between Huskar and the target gets greater than 1400.
2 Although technically not using a projectile, these spells' effects are delayed. Using a disjointing spell during the delay does not disjoint them.
3 The Tossed unit can be avoided by blinking or moving rapidly, but cannot technically be disjointed. In order to avoid the tossed unit, upon cast of Toss, the minimum required distance to avoid it is 4000, decreasing by 307.69 for each 0.1 seconds of Toss' duration.
4 The Snowball can be avoided by moving far enough, since it travels for a maximum of 3 seconds.
5 The initial projectile of Splinter Blast cannot be disjointed.
Balance changelog[edit | edit source]
- The following abilities no longer disjoint projectiles: Borrowed Time, True Form, Pounce, Metamorphosis and Leap.
- The following abilities now disjoint projectiles: Test of Faith (Teleport), Recall and Morph Replicate.
- The following projectiles are now disjointable: Splinter Blast secondary hit and Soul Assumption.