Krobelus the Death Prophet is a ranged intelligence Hero who excels at pushing lanes. She is often played in the mid lane, since her Crypt Swarm gives her strong magic damage that can be spammed easily - and even more so once she learns Witchcraft to improve her spells. As she levels her ultimate, Exorcism, Death Prophet can deal a huge amount of damage to towers and heroes alike, while healing at the end of the duration. Finally, her Silence gives her a powerful tool to disable enemy casters and heroes that rely on escape abilities. Because she can deal large amounts of damage over time with her ultimate and Crypt Swarm, Death Prophet is mostly built as a tank, to ensure she can continue to stay in the fight.
| Krobelus, the Death Prophet
| Play "What I've seen goes far beyond death."
|| Carry / Pusher / Nuker / Disabler
|| Krobelus was a Death Prophet—which is one way of saying she told fortunes for the wealthiest of those who wished to look beyond the veil. But after years of inquiring on behalf of others, she began to seek clues on her own fate. When death refused to yield its secrets, she tried to buy them with her life. But the ultimate price proved insufficient. Death disgorged her again and again, always holding back its deepest mysteries. Her jealousy grew. Others could die for eternity—why not she? Why must she alone be cast back on the shores of life with such tiresome regularity? Why was she not worthy of the one thing all other living creatures took for granted? Still, she would not be discouraged. Each time she returned from the grave, she brought a bit of death back with her. Wraiths followed her like fragments of her shattered soul; her blood grew thin and ectoplasmic; the feasting creatures of twilight took her for their kin. She gave a little of her life with every demise, and it began to seem as if her end was in sight. With her dedication to death redoubled, and no client other than herself, Krobelus threw herself ever more fervently into death's abyss, intent on fulfilling the one prophecy that eluded her: That someday the Death Prophet would return from death no more.
|| Ellen McLain (Responses)
- Applies a silence within the targeted area.
- Witchcraft reduces the cooldown of Silence to 14/13/12/11 seconds.
- Witchcraft reduces the mana cost of Silence to 70/65/60/55.
- The spirits move at a speed of 500. They wander within 700 radius around Death Prophet. They can only turn by moving in about 150 radius arcs.
- Spirits spawn at Death Prophet's location in 0.1 second intervals, so it takes 0.8/1.4/2.1 seconds for all spirits to be released.
- The acquisition radius specifies the area around Death Prophet where spirits acquire an attack target automatically.
- Each spirit chooses its target at random. When acquiring a target, it sticks to that unit until it is dead or out of range.
- Can acquire and attack units in the Fog of War, but not invisible or invulnerable units. However, if their target turns invulnerable, they still keep attacking it.
- The spirits prioritize attacking the target that Death Prophet is attacking.
- The spirits can attack every attackable enemy unit, including buildings and wards.
- The following units are not automatically attacked, but are attacked when Death Prophet attacks them:
- The attacks of the spirits are not regular attacks, so they fully ignore things like evasion and damage block.
- The spirits have to return to Death Prophet after each attack they make before being able to attack their target again.
- When a spirit acquires a target, it chases it up to 1200 range away from Death Prophet.
- When a spirit gets 2000 range away from Death Prohpet, it disappears and a new spirit spawns from Death Prophet.
- The heal happens once a spirit returns to Death Prophet at the end of the duration and is based on 25% of their attack damage multiplied by the amount of attacks the spirit did.
- This means that it does not matter how much damage they actually dealt, the heal is calculated before the damage is reduced by armor or other sources.
- This is how many spirits Exorcism has on each level with each level of Witchcraft:
- Level 1 Exorcism: 8/11/12/13/14 (0.8/1.1/1.2/1.3/1.4 seconds to release all spirits)
- Level 2 Exorcism: 14/17/18/19/20 (1.4/1.7/1.8/1.9/2.0 seconds to release all spirits)
- Level 3 Exorcism: 21/24/25/26/27 (2.1/2.4/2.5/2.6/2.7 seconds to release all spirits)
- Multiple casts (e.g. after using Refresher Orb) end the previous Exorcism and start a new one instead.
- Boots of Speed is especially synergistic with Death Prophet because of her Witchcraft, giving a far larger speed boost than for most other heroes, which allows her to be more efficient at Ganking early.
- Magic Stick is generally good to pick up because even minimum charges can mean the difference between casting a spell or not.
- Null Talisman provides a cheap upgrade to the early Mantle of Intelligence that invaluably increases Death Prophet's mana pool, as well as giving some extra health and damage.
- Phase Boots should almost always be picked up on Death Prophet because, again, of Death Prophet's strong synergy with movement speed.
- Magic Wand is a fairly inexpensive upgrade to the early Iron Branches and Magic Stick that provides an extra potential 75 burst heal.
- Bloodstone is a powerful item for Death Prophet because most of her damage comes from her spells, also her strong team-fight presence allows her to quickly accumulate charges. However, this item should not be picked up if there are better Bloodstone carriers on your team.
- Drum of Endurance gives good attribute boosts for the price as well as even more movement and attack speed for her team, and generally should have one person buy this item on your team in almost any situation because the buff can win team fights.
- Shiva's Guard gives Death Prophet another nuke, as well as a larger mana pool and a lot of armor, both of which she needs.
- Scythe of Vyse gives a full disable as well as a larger mana pool.
- Heart of Tarrasque allows Krobelus to stay in team-fights near indefinitely when paired with Shiva's Guard.
- Black King Bar gives a boost to HP as well as the ability to get in the middle of team fights, giving Exorcism the most damage potential.
- Mekansm is a great pick up because Crypt Swarm allows Death Prophet to flash farm, allowing her to build the Mekansm quickly, and her high Intelligence gain makes casting not too taxing on her effectiveness in team fights. Headdress and Buckler are also nice early game items to have to make her more survivable.
- Pipe of Insight is a notable pick up because of the health regeneration as well as the spell shield, and when paired with Mekansm, Krobelus can potentially turn around a losing fight, or create a strong initiation.
- Boots of Travel allow global presence as well as a more reliable escape than Phase Boots.
- Eul's Scepter of Divinity is an amazing item on Krobelus because it gives movement speed, mana, and a way to disable an enemy or herself. When paired with Exorcism, Krobelus can be kept out of combat while her spirits do massive damage to enemies. Also, this item should be built when Bloodstone is no longer viable.
- Exorcism is a fantastic pushing ultimate that can easily take down towers and Roshan if left unhindered. Fighting into an activated Exorcism is quite dangerous as well, which means hindering her is not easy.
- Crypt Swarm is typically maxed first as it is a very strong AoE nuke with low cooldown, followed by Witchcraft, which greatly reduces the mana cost of Crypt Swarm as well as alleviating Krobelus' very low base movement speed. Maxing Witchcraft early also enhances Exorcism, which is a useful ability at all stages of the game.
- Put a single point in Silence early, as 3 seconds of silence is well worth the 80 mana it costs you.
- Always remember Exorcism's damage is physical, and as such Armor reduction increases its damage. Focusing on targets with low armor (Int and many Str heroes) yields the best result of Exorcism. That said, its damage is a threat even to targets with very high armour.
- In a large clash, Krobelus should be swooping around silencing and nuking enemy supports while eroding their health with Exorcism. Carries almost unfailingly have higher armor than supports, and since Exorcism is physical damage, her damage potential is highest when she focuses on the supports.
- Despite her abysmal base movement speed, with Witchcraft and Phase Boots Krobelus moves extremely fast and can often avoid damage simply by being faster than her aggressor. A Eul's Scepter of Divinity is also a common pickup on her and increases her movement speed to phenomenal levels. Krobelus tends to chase people around a lot with Exorcism, so high movement speed is a must and can also help the spirits damage enemies around Krobelus while she is safe.
- Remember that the Exorcism spirits have a travel time and after each attack must return to Krobelus. The closer you stand to a target, the less the spirits have to travel, thus dealing more overall damage.
- Use Exorcism as early as it is practically possible for clashes, as the sooner it is cast the sooner her spirits will return and heal her. Her spirits will easily harvest enough life to restore her HP entirely, and the conclusion of her ultimate can save Krobelus' life; as well as severely endanger the lives of her adversaries as she returns to battle with full health.
- Medallion of Courage makes Exorcism do a lot more damage to a single target, as well as provide more mana regeneration and armor when not active, both of which Death Prophet needs.
- Assault Cuirass is fairly easy for Death Prophet to farm because of Crypt Swarm being a fast farming tool, and her ability to take towers in seconds with Exorcism. Assault Cuirass gives a lot of armor and attack speed to herself and her team, as well as reducing the enemy's armor, allowing Exorcism to do even more damage in engagements and pushes.
- At some point, she, along with Io and Silencer, had her costume and ability color palettes changed. Before, Death Prophet's garments and ability icons were more purple in color.
- Her Witchcraft ability icon shows a pentacle, a symbol that became associated with magic in the Middle Ages and traditionally used in witchcraft.
October 21, 2013 Patch
- Fixed Exorcism spirits being capped at 23 instead of 27.
July 12, 2013 Patch
- Fixed AI on Exorcism spirits that caused them to sometimes be less efficient and linger on units far from you.
February 14, 2013 Patch
January 31, 2013 Patch
December 06, 2012 Patch
- Updated the textures for Death Prophet, Silencer, Drow Ranger, and Io.
- Updated the ability icons for Death Prophet, Silencer, and Io to match texture changes.
September 13, 2012 Patch
July 05, 2012 Patch
- [Undocumented] Added teleport (start & end) animations for Death Prophet, Doom Bringer and Dragon knight.
June 20, 2012 Patch
- Added a buff to indicate the duration of Death Prophet's Exorcism.
May 17, 2012 Patch
- Gave Death Prophet's spirits a unique attack effect when hitting buildings.
April 19, 2012 Patch
- [Undocumented] Added injured attack animations.
- [Undocumented] Added injured idle animations.
March 08, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Exorcism hitting an invisible hero if the hero was hit before.
- Fixed Silence not affecting basic units.
February 16, 2012 Patch
- Fixed unit targeting behavior being bugged for the following abilities: Carrion Swarm, Dragon Slave, Breathe Fire.
- [Undocumented] Exorcism spirits movement speed from 400 to 500.
- [Undocumented] Exorcism spirits damage from 35-40 to 43-48.
- [Undocumented] Added injured animations for Death Prophet.
- [Undocumented] Added chase animations for Death Prophet.
January 12, 2012 Patch
- Death Prophet will comment on her ghosts returning when they begin turning back instead of when they are done returning.
December 16, 2011 Patch
- Enabled Lifestealer and Death Prophet in Captain's Mode.
- Fixed Crypt Swarm not allowing unit targets.
December 08, 2011 Patch
- Added Death Prophet!
June 02, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Death Prophet's Exorcism spirits not clamping to the ground.
March 03, 2011 Patch
- Added more info to tooltips of Drow's Silence, Death Prophet's Silence, and Kunkka's Ghostship.
- Increased Exorcism number of ghosts from 6/13/21 to 8/14/21.
- Increased Exorcism number of ghosts from 4/12/21 to 6/13/21.
- Reduced Crypt Swarm damage from 100/175/250/300 to 75/150/225/300.
- Increased Exorcism cooldown from 135 to 145.
- Increased Exorcism cooldown from 115 to 135.
- Increased Exorcism cooldown from 100 to 115.
- Increased Silence radius from 350 to 425.
- Increased Exorcism spirits damage from 43-48 to 53-58.
- Reduced movement speed from 285 to 280.
- Increased Silence radius from 200/275/350/350 to 350 on each level.
- Increased Witchcraft movement speed bonus from 4%/8%/12%/16% to 5%/10%/15%/20%.
- Increased Exorcism number of spirits from 4/10/18 to 4/12/21.
- Increased base armor from 0 to 1 (total armor is now 2.96).
- Increased Witchcraft movement speed bonus from 3%/6%/9%/12% to 4%/8%/12%/16%.
- Increased base armor from -1 to 0 (total armor is now 1.96).
- Increased base health regeneration from 0.25 to 0.75.
- Increased Crypt Swarm manacost reduction from 5/10/15/20 to 10/15/20/25.
- Rescaled Silence manacost reduction from 0/10/20/30 to 10/15/20/25.
- Rescaled Exorcism ghost count increase from 1/2/3/4 for lvl 1, 1/3/4/6 for lvl 2 and 0/2/4/7 for lvl 3 to 3/4/5/6 for all 3 levels.
- Rescaled Exorcism number of spirits from 5/10/16 to 4/10/18.
- Reduced Crypt Swarm cooldown from 9 to 8 (Witchcraft still reduces by 1/2/3/4).
- Witchcraft now grants 3%/6%/9%/12% movement speed again.
- Witchcraft no longer grants 3%/6%/9%/12% movement speed bonus.
- Increased movement speed from 280 to 285.
- Increased base strength from 17 to 19.
- Increased spirits' travel speed from unknown to 500.
- Increased healing cap from unknown to 1000.
- Fixed Witchcraft increasing Exorcism cooldown to 120.
- Increased Witchcraft movement speed bonus from 2%/4%/6%/8% to 3%/6%/9%/12%.
- Reduced healing cap from unknown to unknown.
- Reduced cooldown from 120 to 100.
- Reduced Silence non-hero duration from 16/20/24/28 to 3/4/5/6.
- Fixed radius to be 200/275/350/350, instead of 300, when Witchcraft is at level 0.
- Reduced manacost from 90 to 80.
- Reduced Witchcraft Silence manacost reduction from 10/20/30/40 to 0/10/20/30.
- Fixed Witchcraft not reducing Silence cooldown by 1/2/3/4.