From Dota 2 Wiki
- Axe's Culling Blade is the only instant counter to Shallow Grave in the game, because it goes through the grave as long as the target is under the health threshold.
- Counter Helix is pure damage.
- Berserker's Call gives Axe +40 armor for its duration.
- Nortrom's Global Silence prevents Dazzle from using Shallow Grave or Shadow Wave at crucial times.
- Glaives of Wisdom is an attack modifier that deals pure damage, circumventing armor from Dazzle's Weave.
- However, Nortrom has low armor himself.
- Nortrom has some Damage over Time and late-reacting nukes, so in worst-case scenarios (for Dazzle), your 1hp graved ally might use a spell under Arcane Curse to proc Last Word early before grave ends but die anyway.
- Ice Blast negates most of your healing and may last longer in duration than your Shallow Grave.
- When timed correctly, Outworld Devourer can cast Astral Imprisonment on a low health Shallow Graved target and thus apply lethal damage right after it gets released from the prison.
- Furthermore Outworld Devourer somehow benefits from a graved hero because he can steal a great amount of intelligence during that time if he does not have to fear the graved unit's damage.
- Heroes with illusions like Naga Siren and Phantom Lancer and items like Diffusal Blade and Radiance. Being run down by radiance is hell for Dazzle.
- Dazzle is not strong versus summons because of Shadow Wave's unreliable nuke damage. Especially weak versus ranged summons.
- Bloodseeker's Thirst, Rupture and huge AoE silence Blood Rite can fare well against Dazzle.
- Some heroes with extreme range, like Zeus, Invoker or Clockwerk, can snipe your allies from anywhere after your Grave has expired.
- Orchid Malevolence and Bloodthorn have long silences and damage amplification against Dazzle, either to kill him or block his spells in critical moments. Beside a Eul's Scepter, you have low itemization possibilities to dispel the silence unless you can afford Black King Bar, Lotus Orb or Guardian Greaves.
- Diffusal Blade and Necronomicon burn Dazzle's mana.
- Dagon along with other quick nukes can kill before Dazzle's long cast animation on Shallow Grave
- Worst-case scenario, a casual Eul's Scepter of Divinity will waste some of the grave or kill Dazzle's ally as he comes down if he's close to 1 health and grave ends mid-air.
Good against...Legion Commander
- It is very easy to save an ally from Duel with Shallow Grave. Versus weaker opponents you can even bait a duel on an ally, knowing you will save him and perhaps get a kill and the duel victory for your ally.
- Knowing this, better players will always wait until grave was expended to choose a duel target, or will always jump on Dazzle.
- Reaper's Scythe is very predictable and gives you plenty of time to react with Shallow grave. Keep a close eye on your half-hp allies
- Be careful not to leave your ally at one HP if you're still fighting, as he will die from Heartstopper Aura right when the grave is over. Therefore keep a Wave for the last second of the grave instead of right after (a strategy which is true against almost every hero).
- It's debatable, but his DoTs abilities are the easiest ones to heal through with numerous Shadow Waves, and it's also simple to keep Shallow Grave until the last possible second.
- However, sometimes his DoTs are so harmful that you'll have to use Grave early and you/your ally will die right after it's over, sometimes even after Tp-ing back to the fountain.
- Shadow Wave will hit Clockwerk every time when he's fighting with an enemy inside Power Cogs.
- Due to Clockwerk's slow damage output, Dazzle will have more than enough time to Shallow Grave any enemy Clockwerk initiates on.
- Shallow Grave + Town Portal Scroll is very good against any composition that doesn't rely on stuns or silences to kill you.
Works well with...Brewmaster Broodmother
- The damage nuke from Shadow Wave is amplified per unit. The invisible spiderlings can easily approach towards the target and surprise him at every point.
- Huskar deals most damage on low health and Dazzle is the best option to keep him alive at this stage. A good timed Shallow Grave can turn a teamfight from the worst odds.
- A single burst Meepo is one of his greatest weaknesses. Dazzle can fill the gap by providing heals and giving enough time with Shallow Grave to get the low health Meepo out of the fight. He synergies well with the up to 5 units that can be healed at once with Shadow Wave and transfer the healburst as damage onto the target.
- Naga Siren can spawn three illusions of herself at level one, allowing for a massive nuke with Shadow Wave as soon as the game starts.
- Her armor reduction further increases the effectiveness of your spells, which all deal physical damage.
- She can halt combat for several seconds with Song of the Siren, giving Weave time to work.
- By using Shadow Wave on Phantom Lancer and his illusions from Spirit Lance, Doppelganger and Juxtapose can deal massive damage to anyone in the vicinity.
- Heroes with summons like Nature's Prophet, Lycan, Beastmaster or the ability to take over neutrals such as Chen or Enchantress provide possibilities for a healbomb.
- Illusion heroes do not only amplify the damage output of the healbomb, but also help to keep the illusion source at high health. Namely Phantom Lancer, Naga Siren, Terrorblade or Shadow Demon.
- Minus armor strats often combine Dazzle with heroes that rely on armor reduction and deal heavy physical damage such as Templar Assassin, Slardar or Alchemist. Shadow Wave deals massive physical damage and all physical damage gets further amplified by Weave.