Ish'kafel the Dark Seer is a melee intelligence hero with versatile abilities that allow him to assist allies and greatly change the conditions of combat. His Vacuum in particular affects enemies in a large area and is a powerful crowd-control. It not only disorients and damages enemies, but also pushes them into a small area to follow up with area spells or to trigger other abilities, such as his Wall of Replica ultimate that turns the very power of enemies against them in the form of illusions that replicate their statistics. His other spells focus on buffing allies with speed, or in the case of his Ion Shell, granting an aura that radiates damage onto enemies who venture within it.
Bio[edit | edit source]
Abilities[edit | edit source]
- The pull duration always takes 0.5 seconds, no matter how far or close the units are from the center, so the speed varies.
- Affected units are fully disabled during the pull.
- The damage is applied after the 0.5 second pull duration.
- Can pull units over impassable terrain.
- Vacuum destroys trees within 275 radius at the targeted point upon cast.
Cannot be cast on spell immune enemies. Shell persists if debuff was placed before spell immunity and when not dispelled.
- The shell can be put on enemy and allied units, damaging only enemy units. The unit with the shell itself is not damaged.
- Successive casts on the same unit do not stack. Casting it on a unit that already has the Ion Shell on, only refreshes the duration.
- Deals 3/5/7/9 damage in 0.1 second intervals, starting 0.1 second after the cast, resulting in 250 damage instances.
- Can deal up to 750/1250/1750/2250 damage to a single unit (before reductions), if it stays in range for the full duration.
- Affects invisible units that go close to the shell wearer. The shell nor the visual effects do not appear if the wearer is invisible.
- Cannot be cast on creep-heroes.
- The wall is always created perpendicular to the line between Dark Seer and the targeted point.
- Only creates illusions of heroes. Does not create them of illusions.
- Does not create an illusion for each Meepo clone, only one of them can have a Wall of Replica illusion at a time.
- When the illusion dies, the wall can create a new one of that hero as soon as it comes in range.
- Every time the wall creates an illusion, it damages the hero right afterwards.
- The illusions are invulnerable for 0.1 second after creation and have a unique skin. They last as long as the wall lasts.
- Unlike most other illusions in the game, Wall of Replica illusions look the same for everyone, instead of looking like normal heroes for the enemy.
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
- Stout Shield gives you resistance to physical attacks whether you are laning or jungling.
- Consumables like Tangos cover your health and mana issues until you build up your early game items.
- Filling a few item slots with Branches is beneficial with its early boost to Dark Seer's attributes, but also help you build up to a Magic Wand and/or Mekansm later on.
- Only the recipe for a Soul Ring can be considered as it can be assembled in the side shop and lets your team use the courier more. This is especially important if your midlaner plans on getting a Bottle quickly.
- Soul Ring covers most of your mana issues and allows you to constantly cast your Ion Shell in order to harass your lane opponents and get some last hits.
- Boots of Speed gives mobility for chasing or running away.
- A Magic Wand allows you to sustain your presence in fights.
- Arcane Boots increase your mana pool and allow you to give your teammates mana.
- A Mekansm adds to Dark Seer's teamfight effectiveness and increases your durability. Also his decent Intelligence gain means he will generally have enough mana to use the heal.
- A Town Portal Scroll allows you to be at any lane for a gank, countergank, or push in seconds.
- Crimson Guard can protect your team from enemy carries in teamfights.
- Aghanim's Scepter effectively allows your illusions to deal more damage than your opponents, thereby significantly increasing your team fight potential.
- Hood of Defiance grants you magic resist and a lot of health regeneration, and can be upgraded into a Pipe of Insight.
- Pipe of Insight grants you and your allies protection from magic damage.
- Blink Dagger can help you positioning to place a better Wall into Vacuum combo.
- Ghost Scepter should be considered to counter high physical damage dealers and it is relatively cheap.
- Scythe of Vyse is always a great pickup for the hex and mana regen. If you need to turn off a carry's damage output, this is a very strong pickup.
- Shiva's Guard grants you more punch to your Vacuum and Wall of Replica initiation, and gives you armor and intelligence.
- Heart of Tarrasque allows you to initiate with little fear of dying.
- Refresher Orb allows you to cast your abilities and items twice in a row if needed.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Surge can be cast on the team's courier, allowing it to get out of danger, or finish its delivery to allies faster.
- Dark Seer can farm rapidly in lane and jungle thanks to Ion Shell. To jungle, stack the hard and medium camps several times, and then place an ion shell on one of the lesser creeps. The shell should clear out the whole camp(including the stacks). Do this repeatedly to accumulate a large sum of gold. However, be sure to stay within experience range.
- If laning, be sure to harass enemies with Ion Shell by placing it on their melee creeps (for melee heroes) or ranged creeps (for ranged heroes). Additionally, placing Ion Shell on the second allied melee creep to arrive at the creep line is a good way to push the lane as well as create a moving damage-dealing creep that chases enemy heroes. This can make it hard for the enemy carry to last hit, as they have to do it under the tower and while taking damage from creep aggro and ion shell at the same time.
- While normally pushing the lane is a bad thing, Surge and his high Strength gain makes it hard for the enemies to lock down Dark Seer and kill him.
- When chasing, self-cast Ion Shell and run next to the enemy without attacking, using Surge if the enemy is faster. Even better, use surge to body-block enemy heroes (that is, get in front of them to hinder their movement) and deal damage with basic attacks without moving out of range of the Ion Shell.
- AoE spells, especially those that require positioning, greatly benefit from Vacuum, as it can place all of them together to ensure a hit.
- Using Vacuum on enemy heroes to send them through Wall of Replica disallows foes from preventing illusions, as well as causing guaranteed damage from passing through the Wall.
- Due to Vacuum being able to clump up a large group of enemies fast, and Ion Shell's high damage output considering enemies are affected by it for a longer while, they permit Dark Seer to synergize extremely well with heroes such as Enigma and Jakiro. Make sure to cast these abilities with Black Hole and Ice Path/Macropyre/Liquid Fire to maximize AoE damage and maybe turn the tide in battle.
- Mekansm is a strong pickup on Dark Seer, as it makes him tankier and he can very quickly farm one up.
- A Bottle can also be used to sustain high mana use, if the Dark Seer is put midlane. It has the added benefit of rune control as most runes are useful for Ion Shell harass.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Audio[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Dark Seer's response, Play "No, I will not calm my beard." is a response to Beastmaster's and Clockwerk's rival hero taunts, both voiced by Sam A. Mowry.
- Dark Seer's Vacuum's lore is based on the military term, center of gravity, which is a concept developed by Carl Von Clausewitz, a Prussian military theorist, in his work On War.