Kaldr the Ancient Apparition is a ranged intelligence hero. This spell-caster elemental being possesses high range, great attributes and strong semi-spammable spells. He is commonly played as a ganker or support role and due to his high agility and an attack enhancing spell, he can be played as a Semi-Carry too. His ultimate is one of the most devastating spells in the game as it can hit multiple units, has global range, freezes health regeneration, and instantly kill units if low on life.
Ancient Apparition is considered an efficient Ganker for his very powerful abilities, despite each of them requiring precision and good timing to reach their full potential. Because his spells work very well with those of other heroes, a good ganking partner can easily ensure a kill. Kaldr is also a good Support because of his Chilling Touch ability, which gives a large amount of bonus magic damage to his teammates' attacks, but more importantly for his Ice Vortex, which slows and helps him and his team deal more damage. He can also be an Initiator by using his ultimate, but to do so effectively requires more strategy and coordination with your team.
Ancient Apparition is recommended for Intermediate/Advanced players because he requires large amounts of map knowledge to maximize the use of his ultimate, but also to avoid getting ganked because he doesn't have any true escape mechanism. Because his abilities are most powerful when cast in succession, pulling off quick ability combos is very helpful. Consequently, he requires lots of mana management because casting all of his spells in combination can consume a lot of mana, which can leave you unable to cast any more spells until you replenish.
Ancient Apparition can solo mid effectively because of his quick lane dominance through harassing and denying, but side-laning is also viable, especially with a partner who can disable. He shines most during the Early & Mid Game-Phase because his abilities are naturally strong while he is laning. Ancient Apparition also does not require as many items as other heroes. He is good with just his abilities and therefore doesn't need to farm. Even the most basic items are all that this hero needs. Because of his mana issues, a few good mana-regen items could help. Despite how good he is early on, he isn't necessarily less so during the late game. In fact, because of his supportive nature, he can be extremely helpful during later teamfights.
 Recommended items
- Use Cold Feet to harass in the early game, but mind your mana pool.
- Eul's Scepter of Divinity in combination with Cold Feet can almost always guarantee a stun (though at the cost of Cold Feet's damage over time). It also allows you to land a short-range Ice Blast in quick succession.
- Chilling Touch can be useful to max along with Cold Feet if you are laning with another ranged hero. The harass is extremely potent and can often push your enemies out of the lane.
- Ice Vortex can be used to slow enemies when chasing or being chased, as well as reduce their resistance.
- Ice Blast is a multi-purpose spell that can be cast to anywhere on the map. Use it to aid your allies in ganks, initiate team battles, finish off low-HP heroes, and clear large creep waves.
- Remember that Ice Blast prevents all healing effects from regenerating HP. Landing this skill on the enemy team at the start of a team fight will prevent healers such as Dazzle, Chen and Omniknight or a mekanism carrying hero from regenerating any hp to their team. The debuff reaches its ideal effect especially if you have an Aghanim's Scepter.
- Ancient Apparition can solo mid in the early game, as he has all the necessary tools to control his lane. AA will look to start ganking as soon as possible and use the early Ice Blasts to his team's advantage.
- In spite of his ability to solo, AA is still very potent in a dual or tri lane. Cold Feet functions well as a follow-up to an ally's stun, and Chilling Touch is able to buff every one of AA's allies, effectively multiplying its effectiveness by the number of allies you have available.
- All of Ancient Apparition's spells have incredible range. Try to avoid close combat in less-than-ideal conditions.
- You don't have an escape mechanism, so having vision of your opponents is crucial for you to survive. Ask your teammates to ward or do it yourself whenever possible.
- Later in game, try to pair up with high DPS heroes and stuns in order to decimate enemies.
 Update history
- Fixed Backswing behavior for: Soul Rip, Tombstone, Cold Feet, Ice Vortex, Chilling Touch, Enfeeble, Shallow Grave, Thunder Strike, Kinetic Field, Static Storm, Malefice, Midnight Pulse, Howl, Stifling Dagger, Static Link, Shrapnel, Psionic Trap, Whirling Axes (Ranged), Storm Hammer, Gods Strength, Wave of Terror, Venomous Gale, Shadow Word, Fatal Bonds, The Swarm, Time Lapse, Maledict, Overpower and Ice Shards.
- Fixed Ancient Apparition's ult cast sounds to only play for teammates or nearby enemies that have vision.
- Fixed status effect ignoring magic immune units (HP Freeze and Shatter).
- Fixed Ice Blast debuff not getting added to units slept by Song of the Siren.
- Added the following animations for Ancient Apparition:
- Injured Idle (and alternate animation)
- Haste Rune Run
- Injured Run
- Teleport (Start and End)
- Fixed Ethereal and Guardian Angel blocking Ice Blast's shatter.
- Fixed turn rates for the following heroes: Lifestealer, Alchemist, Clockwerk, Bounty Hunter, Dark Seer, Dazzle, Ancient Apparition, Brewmaster, Chen, Silencer, Lone Druid, Spectre and Spiritbreaker.
- [Undocumented] Updated the hero selection portrait.
- Fixed Ice Blast impact damage not hurting illusions.
- Fixed Chilling Touch affecting Spirit Bear and Warlock's Golem.
- Fixed a bug where Ice Blast could get stuck on the map.
- Fixed Ice Blast's secondary ability not firing off when you die.
- Fixed the location from which Ice Blast fires.
- Fixed Level 3 Cold Feet doing 1 too much damage.
- Fixed the following ability interactions with Repel/Purge: Inner Vitality, Weave, Moonlight Shadow, Overload, Holy Persuasion, Warcry, Shadow Word, Focus Fire, Sukuchi, Berserker's Call, Chilling Touch.
- Issues with items that used the negative health regen - this fixes the interaction of Ancient Apparition with Armlet.
- Fixed a recent bug with Ice Blast trail debuff happening a little too early.
- Fixed a bug with Chilling Touch attack speed reduction display.
- Fixed a recent bug that caused the Ice Blast trail debuff to not get applied to heroes.
- Fixed bugs with Ice Blast and Refresher Orb.
- Rocket Flare and Iceblast should now behave correctly when they are cast while queueing commands.
- Fixed Ice Vortex debuff lasting a little too long on enemies that leave the area.
- Fixed broken AA tooltips.
- Removed death effect blood from AA.
- Added quick death effect to AA.
- death anim for Ancient Appa.
- Ice Blast spells now shows up for spectators.
- Fixed Ice Blast's projectile not showing up on the minimap.
- Fixed Cold Feet purgability.
- Changed how Ice Blast secondary projectile works visually. It now calculates it's intended target for the explosion time rather than waiting on a message from the server. This allows it to be accurate regardless of latency.
- Ice Blast wont shatter units that are attack immune.
- Fixed Ice Blast release cast point to be 0.0f.
- Fixed Ice Vortex's magic damage amp not working.
- Fixed Ice Vortex affecting ancients.
- Fixed losing the debuff when moving between two patches of ice vortex. Also made the debuff not purgable.
- Fixed Chilling Touch affecting friendly illusions, also fixed it so attacking illusions wont consume a charge nor do the extra damage.
- Fixed Ice Blast affecting illusions.
- New Hero: Ancient Apparition.
 Balance changelog
- Ice Vortex cooldown reduced from 5 to 4.
- Ice Blast cooldown reduced from 45 to 40.
- Chilling Touch
- The buff is now always applied to Ancient Apparition even if he is not within the target area.
- Cooldown reduced from 50/46/42/38 to 50/42/34/26.
- Night vision reduced from 1400 to 800.
- Ice Vortex cooldown decreased from 6 to 5.
- Ice Blast base AoE increased from 225 to 275.
- Added Aghanim's Scepter ( Ice Blast duration increased from 8/9/10 to 17).
- Chilling Touch manacost rescaled from 140 to 110/120/130/140
- Chilling Touch attack count increased from 2/3/4/5 to 3/4/5/6.
- Chilling Touch
- Now deals its bonus damage and uses a charge when attacking creeps.
- AoE increased from 450 to 525.
- Bonus damage increased from 40/50/60/70 to 50/60/70/80.
- Duration reduced from 40 to 30.
- Ice Blast is no longer dispelled by the Fountain.
- Armor reduced from 4 to 2.
- Armor reduced by 1.
- Ice Blast cooldown from 44/32/20 to 45.
- Cold Feet mana cost increased from 90/10/110/120 to 150.
- Cold Feet manacost increased from 90 to 90/100/110/120.
- Ice Blast
- Impact delay is a little slower now.
- No longer pierces Shallow Grave.
- Debuff is now purgable.
Low Violence model
 See also