Chen the Holy Knight is a ranged intelligence hero, renowned as a support that is difficult to learn due to heavy reliance on micromanagement, but once mastered can become a powerful ganker and one of the strongest early pushers in the game. His ability Holy Persuasion allows him to convert enemy and neutral creeps to his side, controlling them and using their abilities to his advantage. This makes him a strong jungler, and allows him to use those creeps' abilities during ganks to disable unwary enemies. To further aid his ability to gank, Chen has access to Penitence, which allows him to slow his foes while increasing the amount of damage they take, and Test of Faith, an unpredictable but strong Pure damage nuke. Test of Faith is also a strong utility spell that allows Chen to save his teammates from death by sending them back to his team's fountain, or to summon his flock to himself. Finally, his ultimate, Hand of God, is able to instantly heal all allies and units under Chen's control, globally all over the battlefield, allowing him to push and support no matter where he is.
|Chen, the Holy Knight|
|Play "You can learn faith at the end of a sword."|
|Role:||Support / Jungler / Pusher|
|Lore:|| Born in the godless Hazhadal Barrens, Chen came of age among the outlaw tribes who eked out an existence in the shimmering heat of the desert. Using an ancient form of animal enthrallment, Chen’s people husbanded the hardy desert locuthi, a stunted species of burrowing dragon that melted desert sands into tubes of glass where twice-a-year rains collected. Always on the edge of starvation and thirst, fighting amongst their neighbors and each other, Chen’s clan made the mistake, one fateful day, of ambushing the wrong caravan.|
In the vicious battle that followed, Chen’s clan was outmatched. The armored Knights of the Fold made short work of the enthralled locuthi, who attacked and died in waves. With their dragons dead, the tribesmen followed. Chen struggled, and slashed, and clawed, and perished—or would have. Defeated, on his knees, he faced his execution with humility, offering his neck to the blade. Moved by Chen’s obvious courage, the executioner halted his sword. Instead of the blade, Chen was given a choice: death or conversion. Chen took to the faith with a ferocity. He joined the Fold and earned his armor one bloody conversion at a time. Now, with the fanaticism of a convert, and with his powers of animal enthrallment at their peak, he seeks out unbelievers and introduces them to their final reward.
|Voice:||Eric Newsome (Responses)|
- Leveling Test of Faith (Teleport) automatically levels Test of Faith as well.
- Disjoints projectiles for the target upon teleporting it.
- Allied non-hero units and lane creeps can be teleported as well, but like allied heroes, they are not teleported instantly.
- When targeting own non-hero units, they are teleported instantly, meaning own illusions are teleported after the delay.
- When targeting self, all units under Chen's control (excluding illusions, couriers and wards) are teleported towards Chen after the delay, not only creeps from Holy Persuasion.
- The teleported units' destination is a small radius around Chen, so that Chen does not get stuck between them.
- Cannot be cast on creep-heroes.
- When persuading a new creep while already having the maximum amount, the oldest persuaded creep (including ancient creeps) dies.
- When persuading an ancient creep while already having the maximum amount of them, the oldest persuaded ancient creep dies.
- The death is not credited to anyone so that no one gets experience from it.
- Fully restores the creep's mana. If the creep's maximum health is below given minimum base health value, its current and maximum health is set to that value.
- If its health is equal to or above the minimum base health, then it does not get healed.
- The health of creeps that are currently persuaded does not increase further upon leveling up Holy Persuasion or upon choosing the minimum health upgrading talent.
- The Holy Persuasion buff has only informational purpose. Dispelling it only removes the status buff icon.
- Aghanim's Scepter upgraded Holy Persuasion allows 1 ancient creep to be persuaded per level of Hand of God.
- Ancient creeps are included in the maximum allowed units, so it does not allow Chen to have more creeps persuaded.
- Can be cast on ancient creeps without having Hand of God leveled for no result, wasting the mana and cooldown.
- The talent does not increase the amount of ancient creeps Chen can persuade.
|+200 Hand of God Heal||25||+2 Holy Persuasion Max Count|
|+1000 Creep Min Health||20||+90 Gold/Min|
|-10s Test of Faith Cooldown||15||+250 Health|
|+125 Cast Range||10||+30 Movement Speed|
- Upgrading health increases maximum health capacity and keeps the current health percentage.
- Gold granted from the talent is unreliable gold.
- The max count increase on Holy Persuasion does not affect the amount of ancient creeps he can persuade.
- Tango and Healing Salve give Chen the ability to sustain his HP. Generally converted creeps should be used to tank neutral camps while jungling, however, so HP regen can be skipped for other items.
- Clarity is useful for replenishing Chen's mana pool, which is important given how frequently Chen must cast Holy Persuasion while jungling. Keeping Chen's mana up allows him to jungle continuously.
- Ring of Protection gives Chen armor, useful for giving him physical survivability if he must tank creep attacks occasionally. It can be upgraded into a Ring of Basilius later.
- Animal Courier is important to buy as a support. Since Chen can jungle fairly independently with only mana as a requirement, he is a good candidate for purchasing the courier.
- Boots of Speed give Chen more movement speed, crucial for moving between jungle camps faster, as well as for extra mobility while rotating for ganks with his creeps. Getting within range to cast Penitence on an enemy hero can slow them enough for follow-ups, and the same applies to being able to nuke them with Test of Faith.
- Ring of Basilius is a good jungling item and pushing. It gives Chen additional attack damage as well as a mana aura, allowing him to maintain his mana pool more easily. The Basilius Aura also gives his creeps more armor, increasing their tankiness, and provides them with mana regen as well, allowing them to recover any mana expended while casting spells. The armor aura can be very powerful for pushing down early towers since allied creeps will survive for longer against tower hits.
- Headdress is a useful early-game intermediary item to purchase. Its HP regen aura can allow Chen's creeps to recover their HP, allowing them to jungle more easily and ensuring that they are at full HP when used to gank enemies. Like Ring of Basilius, it is also a strong pushing aura that allows allied creeps to survive for longer during a tower siege.
- Arcane Boots allow Chen to replenish his and his creeps' mana pools, ensuring that spells are always ready to be cast. As well, keeping allies' mana pools topped up allows them to use their abilities more often, useful when pushing towers.
- Helm of the Dominator gives one more creep and good stats and health regen.
- Mekansm, purchased early enough, allows Chen to push down towers very quickly as he can heal his creeps and teammates to prevent the enemy from easily defending. In teamfights, it gives Chen an additional ability with which to heal his team, on top of Hand of God.
- Observer Ward are crucial to purchase regularly as Chen, both as a support and as a pusher. Providing map vision to his team allows Chen to keep an eye on enemy movements, which in turn allows him to position himself and his creeps to best meet the threat, or to push an undefended tower.
- Aghanim's Scepter Chen gains the ability to cast Holy Persuasion on ancient creeps, which can bolster his pushing ability as well as set him up for the late game.
- Vladmir's Offering is a strong teamfight and pushing aura that greatly benefits Chen's creeps. The armor aura greatly increases his creeps' survivability against physical attacks and tower hits, and the mana aura lets them recover mana more readily for casting spells. The lifesteal can allow creeps, both converted and allied lane creeps, to maintain their HP during pushes and become a bigger threat against towers.
- Scythe of Vyse gives Chen all-around attributes and greatly increased casting ability. The Hex gives Chen a targeted instant hard-disable which is very powerful in teamfights and ganks, as it can set up chain-disables with Chen's creeps.
- Necronomicon gives Chen yet more minions to control, greatly increasing his pushing, teamfighting and ganking power. The summons can be used to push towers, hinder enemies during teamfights, add more damage output during a gank, and at level 3 provide True Sight when needed. The item also provides bonus strength for increased HP, and bonus intelligence for more attack damage and casting ability.
- Drum of Endurance gives Chen all-around attributes, increasing his survivability and giving him a larger mana pool. The aura gives him yet another way to strengthen his converted creeps, and the active can allow Chen and his creeps to move more swiftly to chase down a gank target or escape enemy pursuers.
- Ghost Scepter allows Chen to temporary ignore physical damage, crucial for enhancing his survivability in fights. The inability to attack is of little hindrance to Chen, since he relies on casting his spells and using his creeps' abilities more than on his auto-attacks.
- Flying Courier is important to purchase for your team in the early game, in order to give it the mobility it needs to quickly deliver items to your teammates.
- Town Portal Scroll is crucial to have on Chen at all times, since he must be constantly active in the early game while he has the advantage. Moving himself around the map to participate in ganks and pushes allows him to make his presence felt by the enemy.
- Smoke of Deceit can be powerful to carry on Chen all the time. It can provide invisibility to himself and his creeps, as well as a movement speed boost, allowing them to quickly and stealthily traverse the map in order to set up a gank on the enemy in a different lane.
- Sentry Ward should be purchased regularly alongside Observer Wards in order to deny the enemy map vision. As well, it may be necessary to purchase these to remove any enemy wards that may be blocking Chen's neutral camps, preventing him from farming during the laning stage.
- Medallion of Courage allows Chen to apply an armor debuff on the enemy from range, stacking alongside Penitence to increase a target's vulnerability to damage. It can be further upgraded into a Solar Crest to further amplify its effects.
- Glimmer Cape gives Chen yet another way to protect his teammates from the enemy, cloaking them in invisibility while also increasing their magic resistance. The active can also be cast on a converted creep to help it get closer to an enemy to initiate with a disable.
- Force Staff is very powerful in Chen's hands. It gives him more intelligence and HP regen, allowing Chen to cast his spells more readily. The active can quickly re-position Chen either to initiate or escape, and do the same for allies. The active can also be cast on a creep to give it a quick burst of movement to get within range for a disable.
- Boots of Travel allows Chen to push and gank much more effectively. By teleporting to friendly creeps or even his own, Chen can get in position to gank an enemy, further helped by the item's increased movement speed, or to push an undefended tower, using Test of Faith's teleport on himself to summon his flock to aid him as needed.
- Eul's Scepter of Divinity is a cheap mana item that gives Chen some powerful benefits. The increased intelligence and mana regen help Chen to cast his spells more frequently, and the bonus movement speed helps him with mobility for ganking, chasing and escaping. The active also allows him to make himself temporarily invulnerable if jumped on by the enemy, can remove debuffs from himself, or can be cast on an enemy to disable them long enough for a creep to disable them further.
- Pipe of Insight is a powerful teamfight item. It grants increased magic resistance to Chen, while providing an aura that gives his team and his creeps HP regen and magic resistance. The active can be used to protect his congregation, preventing the enemy from instantly bursting them down with magic nukes.
- Heaven's Halberd is a survivability and support item that gives Chen increased utility. The extra HP and evasion help Chen to survive against enemy attacks more easily, and the active allows him to disarm the enemy from range, preventing them from attacking his teammates without dispelling the debuff.
- Shiva's Guard gives Chen a powerful teamfight aura while also giving him powerful benefits. The bonus intelligence greatly increases the size of his mana pool, while the armor helps with his survivability against physical damage. The aura reduces the effectiveness of enemy attacks, and the active ability can slow their movement speed and apply a damage nuke to them.
- Guardian Greaves can be upgraded from Mekansm and Arcane Boots, giving Chen yet another inventory slot. The aura gives Chen's team a survivability advantage in fights, while the active can heal them, restore mana, and remove debuffs from Chen that may be preventing him from supporting his team.
- Chen's fun names in DotA were Chechen and Jackie Chen, a pun on the name of the famed actor Jackie Chan.
- Chen's death quote Play "My Leg" refers to a Spongebob Squarepants running gag.