Chen the Holy Knight has gameplay that is different than most other heroes. Holy Persuasion lets him convert creeps to his side, including powerful neutral creeps. As a result, Chen is usually found in the forest searching for creeps to convert. When he finds a strong creep or two, he descends on his unwary enemies, using both his own spells and the abilities of his persuaded creeps to take them out. When ambushing enemies, Chen generally uses his Penitence ability, which slows the target and causes them to take extra damage from Chen's flock. Test of Faith can be used to finish off enemies and also teleport any ally to the fountain after a short delay with a subability. Chen's support abilities are rounded out by Hand of God, a healing spell which instantly restores a set amount of HP to all allied Heroes and fully heals his controlled creeps across the battlefield.
 Recommended items
- You should try to end the game as soon as possible, because Chen's effectiveness diminishes as the game progresses.
- Chen is a good jungler and can take any camp at level 1 if you skill Holy Persuasion.
- While jungling, don't be too selective about the creeps. Just persuade the higher level ones in the large creep camps and persuade new creeps if yours are on low HP.
- Try to keep your creeps group in a Hotkey of some sort (Command groups, tabbing, selecting all other units) and also have another hotkey for both creeps and Chen.
- Always try to send in your creeps while keeping Chen at a safe distance (don't send him in the middle of a battle with your creeps) and keep an eye on him and his hp while controlling the creeps.
- Always try to keep an eye on the minimap in case you have to use Hand of God to heal a teammate.
- Try always to have enough mana to use Hand of God when it isn't on cooldown, as it may be needed at any time.
- For jungling, it's useful to have a Satyr Tormentor, as it makes your creeps regenerate HP faster and can use an AoE spell.
- For ganking, it's very useful to have at least a Centaur Conqueror / Hellbear Smasher (for the stomp stun/slow) and a Dark Troll Summoner (for the Ensnare so the centaur can get positioned)
- You can have guaranteed ganks at level 1 or 2 if you get either a Centaur Conqueror or an Hellbear Smasher and your ally has a stun or a slow.
- For pushing, it's very useful to have either Satyr Tormentors (with their nuke they take down creep waves easily), an Wildwing Ripper (its Tornado takes down creeps fast) or even Centaur Conquerors (they are tanky)
- For team battles, Centaur Conquerers are the best option, as they can keep the enemy stunned for up to 6 seconds if Chen has gathered more than one.
- In team battles, try to use your Mekansm (if you have it) before Hand of God as it gives an armor boost too.
- Try to use either Mekansm or Hand of God when all your allies are damaged to maximize the healing, rather than just healing a damaged ally while the rest are with full hp.
- You can try to kill Roshan around level 6-7 since your creeps can tank his damage very well and you can instant heal them with your ultimate. However, this is usually not a good idea as Chen is a support and is needed to be in teamfights to heal or, obviously, support his allies. Also, rather give Roshan to your carry instead to give them the much needed gold and experience.
- If the game keeps going on until late game (which you should avoid and try to finish the game fast) you should persuade an Alpha Wolf, and make it follow your carry, as it will greatly increase his/her damage dealt.
- Be especially wary of Doom, Lifestealer, Enchantress and Clinkz as they can take away your creeps instantly and with the help of a Hand of Midas two of your creeps can be destroyed before they even get near the enemy. Clinkz is a special mention as due to the fact that the creeps Chen persuades have increased HP Clinkz not only gets a huge HP boost from consuming your creeps but also a large damage boost on top of it using his ultimate. The same can be said about Naix if he is not properly locked down as he can use the increased HP of your creeps to not only Infest your creeps to heal himself on the spot but also deal nuke damage back to you and all of your allies present. Doom and Enchantress on the other hand while incapable of healing themselves using your creep can instead use the abilities of your own creeps against you as Doom's Devour skill grants him the skills of the creep he consumes while Enchantress' enchant simply takes the creep from under your control.
- Also be wary if the enemy team has an Ancient Apparition as Ice Blast prevents your ultimate ability from healing the affected units.
- Chen's fun names in DotA were Chechen and Jackie Chen, a pun on the name of the famed actor Jackie Chan.
 Update history
- Fixed the following spells being castable on magic immune allies: Nightmare, Frost Armor, Nature's Guise, Holy Persuasion, Decrepify, Astral Imprisonment, Shadow Word and X Marks The Spot.
- Fixed Holy Persuasion working on Spirit Bear.
- Added healing overhead messages for Mekansm, Chen, Lifestealer, Necrolyte, and Witch Doctor.
- Fixed turn rates for the following heroes: Lifestealer, Alchemist, Clockwerk, Bounty Hunter, Dark Seer, Dazzle, Ancient Apparition, Brewmaster, Chen, Silencer, Lone Druid, Spectre and Spiritbreaker.
- Fixed unit conversion spells (Enchant, Persuasion, etc) not removing existing debuffs properly.
- Fixed a case where casting an ability to control a unit (ie. Chen's Persuasion), then querying the unit before the ability fired would not end up with the unit in a selected state and the abilities would not be usable.
- Fixed DisableHelp not working for Chen's Persuasion.
- Fixed Holy Persuasion interrupting allied channeling spells on cast (rather than upon tping).
- Fixed Holy Persuation allowing Wildkin's channeled Torando to go uninterrupted.
- Fixed the following ability interactions with Repel/Purge: Inner Vitality, Weave, Moonlight Shadow, Overload, Holy Persuasion, Warcry, Shadow Word, Focus Fire, Sukuchi, Berserker's Call, Chilling Touch.
- Fixed Holy Persuasion not removing buffs from the converted creep
- Fixed Hand of God working on dead heroes
- Fixed Persuasion not restoring converted unit's mana.
- New Chen spell icons.
- Added in missing Chen Ultimate Scepter tooltip.
- Updated Chen's [visuals].
- Chen will only immediatly teleport units he controls.
- Fixed Neutrals not spawning correctly after one of the pack had been dominated away. This happened constantly while playing Chen and prevented the camp from coming back until my poor unit got killed.
- Dominated units no longer have phased collision. Affects Chen, Enchantress, and Helm of the Dominator.
- Abilities that dominate creeps clear out the players that used to be able to control them. This prevents Chen and Enchantress from being able to control the same creeps.
- Fixed Holy Persuasion to break channels on its target.
- Fixed double-kill credit due to Chen's Penitence.
- Fixed Penitence effect being delayed.
- Fixed Penitence projectile speed.
- Fixed Test of Faith working on ancients.
- Fixed Chen's teleporation not interrupting a unit.
- Fixed Hand of God working on illusions.
- Dominating another creep and he's already pushed it to the the oldest dominated creep will now be killed.
- Fixed Holy Persuasion to not be self-castable.
- Holy Persuasion-dominated creeps and Enchantress's Enchant-dominated creeps now have phased collision, just like units dominated with Helm of the Dominator.
- Hand of God to work on all of his controlled units.
- He will only kill his own units when trying to dominate more only if he is currently the Owner of the unit
 Balance changelog
- Test of Faith (Teleport) is now dispellable.
- Hand of God cooldown increased from 140/130/120 to 160/140/120.
- Hand of God cooldown increased from 120 to 140/130/120.
- Penitence damage amplification increased from 7/14/21/28% to 8/16/24/32% (matches the slow values now).
- Holy Persuasion no longer has the ability to teleport allied units.
- Test of Faith grants you a secondary ability to teleport allied units:
- Teleports heroes to fountain after a delay. Instant teleport for persuaded creeps.
- Delay: 6/5/4/3
- Cooldown: 24
- Manacost: 200
- Cast Range: 600
- Test of Faith's secondary ability to teleport units is now a part of Holy Persuasion instead.
- Test of Faith cooldown rescaled from 30/28/26/24 to 24.
- Penitence cooldown from 30 to 30/26/22/18.
- Test of Faith cooldown from 30 to 30/28/26/24.
- Added Holy Knight to Aghanim's Scepter. Dramatically reduces cooldown from 120 to 30.
- Improved Chen's movement speed by 5.
 See also