Chaos Knight is a melee strength Hero with one of the highest physical damage outputs of all heroes. He is mostly played as a semi-carry and ganker. As his name implies, he has a theme based on randomness and uncertainty. His regular attack has an incredibly high thirty damage spread, making his last hitting ability somewhat unreliable. Chaos Bolt is his most notorious luck-based ability which, at max level, can stun a target anywhere between a mediocre 2 seconds to an effective 4 seconds that will almost certainly assure its death; it will also deal a variable amount of damage ranging from miniscule to moderate. Reality Rift pulls Chaos Knight and his target to a randomly chosen point along the line between the two and gives him bonus damage for one attack. Chaos Strike is a crit-based ability with one of the lowest proc chances, yet also one of the highest multipliers. His only non-random ability is his ultimate Phantasm, which produces the most powerful illusions in the game. These illusions, which retain his full damage and only take double damage, benefit from his Chaos Strike and can teleport alongside him to attack the target whenever he uses Reality Rift. With three illusions being produced at Phantasm's highest level, Chaos Knight's damage output is effectively quadrupled during teamfights later in the game, and it is not uncommon to see enemy heroes being killed instantly after being Reality Rifted by the four apocalyptic horsemen. Thus, CK is played as a carry whom excels in both the mid and late game, if the game drags on long enough and he is able to acquire enough strength-based and survivability items to ensure that his illusions can stay alive, he will be able to overpower most hard carries.
 Recommended items
- While ganking in the early-mid game, use Reality Rift to get close to the enemy, then hit him once with your bonus damage and use Chaos Bolt to stun. If you're lucky, you could even get more than 2 hits while he's stunned.
- In most situations, max Chaos Bolt and Reality Rift first, since the critical damage from your Chaos Strike is negligible in the early game, and you won't have enough mana to summon the Phantasm(s) with your ultimate.
- Always activate your Armlet of Mordiggian before using your ultimate, since the illusions also gain bonuses from it.
- By buying a Sange & Yasha, you'll be able to disassemble it later and build a Heaven's Halberd and a Manta Style. You may buy the first item if you need more survivability, since it gives you more health, some evasion and a reliable disarm; buy Manta Style first if you farmed really well, and you wish to confuse your enemies even more. It also grants additional stats.
- Diffusal Blade will give Chaos Knight's illusions Feedback. Like Phantom Lancer, an army of Chaos Knights can deplete enemy's mana very quickly. Its active ability can also be used to ensure that enemies do not escape Chaos Knight's army after Reality Rift, if Chaos Bolt is unavailable.
- Buying an early Soul Ring will solve most of Chaos Knight's mana problems.
- Chaos Strike's skill icon bears a similar appearance to a D20 dice, commonly used in table-top RPG games, where a full 20 usually results in a critical. This is representative of the chance that comes with the skill.
- Chaos Knight's lore and responses draw many references to the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, and his ultimate is a literalisation of it.
- The line "Ah, Tidehunter, can I offer you a seabiscuit?" is a reference to Seabiscuit, a famous American racehorse.
- Fitting his theme, Chaos Knight has the most varying attack damage in the game. His actual damage on attack can be up to 15 more or 15 less than his displayed damage.
- At 1.2 gain per level, Chaos Knight has the lowest INT gain of any Strength Hero.
 Update history
- Fixed Reality Rift bonus damage sometimes proccing multiple times if you attack more than once in 1.2 seconds.
- Pseudo Random chances are now enabled for these abilities:
- Updated vision values on these abilities: Unstable Concoction, Phantasm, Waveform, Storm Hammer, Mirror Image, Spirit Lance, Requiem of Souls, Spectral Dagger, Venomous Gale, Earthbind, Dream Coil, Shackleshot, Wall of Replica, Flamebreak, Deafening Blast, Ghost Ship.
- Reality Rift now puts the Chaos Knight behind his target.
- Fixed Chaos Knight having 2 extra armor.
- Added Chaos Knight, Phantom Assassin and Gyrocopter to Captain's Mode
- Fixed some bugs with the Illusion spawn positions with Phantasm.
- Fixed Reality Rift ignoring Linken's Sphere.
- Fixed getting stuck with your illusions sometimes.
 Balance changelog
- Chaos Bolt damage and stun values are now inversely related.
- Chaos Bolt's stun is no longer partially undodgeable (now a normal projectile with 1000 speed),
- Phantasm manacost reduced from 175/225/275 to 125/200/275.
- Phantasm cooldown reduced from 180/160/140 to 140.
- Base strength increased by 3.
- Chaos Bolt damage improved from 1-200 to 1-200/50-225/75-250/100-275.
- Chaos Bolt now has a floating text indicator for the damage done.
- Phantasm duration increased from 20 to 24.
- Reality Rift manacost increased from 50 to 70.
- Starting str decreased by 4 and increased base damage by 4 to keep it constant.
- Cast Point Improved.
- Reworked his Blink Strike.
- Phantasm cooldown decreased from 180 to 180/160/140.
- Improved Chaos Knight's cast point.
 See also