Chaos Knight is a melee strength Hero with one of the highest physical damage outputs of all heroes. He is mostly played as a semi-carry and ganker. As his name implies, he has a theme based on randomness and uncertainty. His regular attack has an incredibly high thirty damage spread, making his last hitting ability somewhat unreliable. Chaos Bolt is his most notorious luck-based ability which, at max level, can stun a target anywhere between a mediocre 2 seconds to an effective 4 seconds that will almost certainly assure its death; it will also deal a variable amount of damage ranging from miniscule to moderate. Reality Rift pulls Chaos Knight and his target to a randomly chosen point along the line between the two and gives him bonus damage for one attack. Chaos Strike is a crit-based ability with one of the lowest proc chances, yet also one of the highest multipliers. The illusions produced by his ultimate, which retain his full damage and only take double damage, benefit from his Chaos Strike and can teleport alongside him to attack the target whenever he uses Reality Rift. With up to four illusions being produced at Phantasm's highest level, Chaos Knight's damage output can be multiplied to be five times as great during teamfights later in the game, and it is not uncommon to see enemy heroes being killed instantly after being Reality Rifted by the apocalyptic horsemen. Thus, CK is played as a carry who excels in both the mid and late game, if the game drags on long enough and he is able to acquire enough strength-based and survivability items to ensure that his illusions can stay alive, he will be able to overpower most hard carries.
- While ganking in the early-mid game, use Reality Rift to get close to the enemy, then hit him once with your bonus damage and use Chaos Bolt to stun. If you're lucky, you could even get more than 2 hits while he's stunned.
- In most situations, max Chaos Bolt and Reality Rift first, since the critical damage from your Chaos Strike is negligible in the early game, and you won't have enough mana to summon the Phantasm(s) with your ultimate.
- Always activate your Armlet of Mordiggian before using your ultimate, since the illusions also gain bonuses from it.
- By buying a Sange & Yasha, you'll be able to disassemble it later and build a Heaven's Halberd and a Manta Style. You may buy the first item if you need more survivability, since it gives you more health, some evasion and a reliable disarm; buy Manta Style first if you farmed really well, and you wish to confuse your enemies even more. It also grants additional increases to attributes.
- Diffusal Blade will give Chaos Knight's illusions Feedback. Like Phantom Lancer, an army of Chaos Knights can deplete enemy's mana very quickly. Its active ability can also be used to ensure that enemies do not escape Chaos Knight's army after Reality Rift, if Chaos Bolt is unavailable.
- Buying an early Soul Ring will solve most of Chaos Knight's mana problems.
- Desolator may not be a good item on Chaos Knight himself, but the armor reduction will make your target squishier allowing your Illusions to deal more damage to them. Consider having an ally buy one instead to apply the Corruption debuff on enemy heroes or towers.
- Chaos Strike's ability icon bears a similar appearance to a D20 dice, commonly used in table-top RPG games, where a full 20 usually results in a critical. This is representative of the chance that comes with the ability.
- Chaos Knight's lore and responses draw many references to the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, and his ultimate is a literalisation of it.
- The line "Ah, Tidehunter, can I offer you a seabiscuit?" is a reference to Seabiscuit, a famous American racehorse.
- Fitting his theme, Chaos Knight has the most varying attack damage in the game. His actual damage on attack can be up to 15 more or 15 less than his displayed damage.
- Chaos Knight's actual name in DotA was "Nessaj". This was removed in his transition to Dota 2, likely due to the change in his background story.
- Enigma, Io, Keeper of the Light and Chaos Knight together represent the four fundamental forces of the universe with Chaos Knight representing the strong nuclear force. This is reflected in several of Enigma's responses to these heroes.
- Fixed Reality Rift bonus damage sometimes proccing multiple times if you attack more than once in 1.2 seconds.
- Pseudo Random chances are now enabled for these abilities:
- Updated vision values on these abilities: Unstable Concoction, Phantasm, Waveform, Storm Hammer, Mirror Image, Spirit Lance, Requiem of Souls, Spectral Dagger, Venomous Gale, Earthbind, Dream Coil, Shackleshot, Wall of Replica, Flamebreak, Deafening Blast, Ghost Ship.
- Reality Rift now puts the Chaos Knight behind his target.
- Fixed Chaos Knight having 2 extra armor.
- Added Chaos Knight, Phantom Assassin and Gyrocopter to Captain's Mode
- Fixed some bugs with the Illusion spawn positions with Phantasm.
- Fixed Reality Rift ignoring Linken's Sphere.
- Fixed getting stuck with your illusions sometimes.
- Phantasm now has a 50% chance to create one extra illusion when cast.
- Chaos Bolt damage and stun values are now inversely related.
- Chaos Bolt's stun is no longer partially undodgeable (now a normal projectile with 1000 speed),
- Undid melee hero collision change from 6.72c
- Phantasm manacost reduced from 175/225/275 to 125/200/275.
- Phantasm cooldown reduced from 180/160/140 to 140.
- Melee hero collision size now reduced from 24 to 12.
- Base strength increased by 3.
- Chaos Bolt damage improved from 1-200 to 1-200/50-225/75-250/100-275.
- Chaos Bolt now has a floating text indicator for the damage done.
- Rebalanced all Melee heroes between 100 and 128 range to be 128 range
- Chaos Knight previously had 100 range.
- Phantasm duration increased from 20 to 24.
- Added to Captain's Mode.
- Reality Rift manacost increased from 50 to 70.
- Starting str decreased by 4 and increased base damage by 4 to keep it constant.
- Cast Point Improved.
- Reworked his Blink Strike.
- Phantasm cooldown decreased from 180 to 180/160/140.
- Improved Chaos Knight's cast point.
- Chaos Bolt now shows the random stun duration
- Changed level 2 and 3 Phantasm to take the same 200% extra damage as level 1
- Chaos Knight base damage a little less random
- Minor armor buff (usually 1) to most melee heroes
- CK's Blink Strike now works like the one PA and SA have.
- Chaos Bolt does some random damage now.
- Chaos Bolt reworked a bit
- Chaos Knight Critical Strike from 1.55/2.10/2.65/3.2 to 1.5/2/2.5/3
- CK critical tooltip + slight change to crit distribution
- Critical strike changed from 3.67 to 3.33
- Chaos knight base str reduced to 21 from 23