| The Dire
20 + 2.9
14 + 2.1
16 + 1.2
| Hit Points
| Attacks / Second
|Base Attack Time
Chaos Knight is a melee strength Hero with one of the highest physical damage outputs of all heroes. He is mostly played as a semi-carry and ganker. As his name implies, he has a theme based on randomness and uncertainty. His regular attack has an incredibly high thirty damage spread, making his last hitting ability somewhat unreliable. Chaos Bolt is his most notorious luck-based ability which, at max level, can stun a target anywhere between a mediocre 2 seconds to an effective 4 seconds that will almost certainly assure its death; it will also deal a variable amount of damage ranging from miniscule to moderate. Reality Rift pulls Chaos Knight and his target to a randomly chosen point along the line between the two and gives him bonus damage for one attack. Chaos Strike is a crit-based ability with one of the lowest proc chances, yet also one of the highest multipliers. His only non-random ability is his ultimate Phantasm, which produces the most powerful illusions in the game. These illusions, which retain his full damage and only take double damage, benefit from his Chaos Strike and can teleport alongside him to attack the target whenever he uses Reality Rift. With three illusions being produced at Phantasm's highest level, Chaos Knight's damage output is effectively quadrupled during teamfights later in the game, and it is not uncommon to see enemy heroes being killed instantly after being Reality Rifted by the four apocalyptic horsemen. Thus, even though he is mostly played as a semi-carry who is extremely effective in the early to mid game, if the game drags on long enough and he is able to acquire enough strength-based and survivability items to ensure that his illusions can stay alive, he will be able to overpower most hard carries.
| Chaos Knight
| "Play The light shall be blackened, and chaos shall reign."
|| Carry / Disabler / Durable / Pusher
|| The veteran of countless battles on a thousand worlds, Chaos Knight hails from a far upstream plane where the fundamental laws of the universe have found sentient expression. Of all the ancient Fundamentals, he is the oldest and most tireless, endlessly searching out a being he knows only as “The Light.” Long ago the Light ventured out from the progenitor realm, in defiance of the first covenant. Now Chaos Knight shifts from plane to plane, always on the hunt to extinguish the Light wherever he finds it. A thousand times he has snuffed out the source, and always he slides into another plane to continue his search anew.|
Upon his steed Armageddon he rides, wading into battle with maniacal frenzy, drawing strength from the disorder of the universe. A physical manifestation of chaos itself, in times of need he calls upon other versions of himself from other planes, and together these dark horsemen ride into battle, as unstoppable as any force of nature. Only when the last Light of the world is scoured from existence will the search be ended. Where rides the Chaos Knight, death soon follows.
|| Barry Dennen (Responses)
- Stun duration and damage appears above targeted unit's head (visible to allies and enemies).
- Damage and stun values are inversely related
- Chaos Knight and the target unit are made to face each other, and Chaos Knight and his illusions are issued an attack order against the target.
- Teleports Chaos Knight to a random point on the line between the units (between 30% and 80% of the distance).
- Teleports the target unit to the same location as Chaos Knight, offset by 25 units towards Chaos Knight's original position.
- Illusions will not gain the bonus damage.
| No Target
| Summons several copies of the Chaos Knight from alternate dimensions. The illusions deal full damage, but take double damage.
| Duration: 24|
Number of Illusions: 1/2/3
|Drawing on his battles fought across many worlds and many times, phantasms of the Chaos Knight rise up to quell all who oppose him.
- This ability removes most buffs from Chaos Knight.
 Recommended items
- Power Treads are easily the strongest boot on CK, as they provide tankiness, which transfer to his illusions, and allow him to tread switch if he has a source of regeneration.
- Drum of Endurance provide a nice set of cheap stats, which is nice as it helps increase Chaos Knight's tankiness and bolster his weak mana pool. It also provides extra mobility which helps Chaos Knight move around between uses of Reality Rift.
- Armlet of Mordiggian provide a very large amount of strength, which will transfer to his illusions if it is activated before Phantasm is used. As Chaos Knight's main source of damage is his illusions, this allows them to stick around much longer.
- Heart of Tarrasque is probably the strongest item to get after you have your core, as it makes your illusions close to unkillable and gives them a nice damage boost. This also enables you to keep Armlet of Mordiggian permanently on, as the heart will regen faster than the health loss, resulting in a large amount of bonus strength, damage, and attack speed at all times.
- Assault Cuirass is a very strong pickup as well, giving Chaos Knight much needed armor and attack speed. It is, however, best when picked up when it will also bolster other physical damage heroes on the team.
- Black King Bar provides a bit of tankiness and a bit of damage on top of much prized magic immunity. However, as magic immunity does not transfer to illusions and it doesn't buff illusion damage as much as other items, this is best when picked up against teams that can easily isolate the real CK and either lock him down for a long period of time or burst him down with single target magical damage.
- Heaven's Halberd is a strong pickup for Chaos Knight if there's only a single strong right-click hero on the enemy team, or when it's picked up after CK has started to fall off and another carry on his team is the primary damage dealer.
- Manta Style is only a strong pickup on Chaos Knight if the enemy team does not have a way to clear out your illusions. They take more damage and deal less damage than the illusions made by Phantasm. However, with the illusions from Manta Style and level 3 Phantasm, Reality Rift will completely surround and trap any enemy that does not have the ability to blink away, phase through, or instantly kill an illusion; this often guarantees a kill.
- Sange and Yasha is a decent item to pick up on Chaos Knight if it is finished early and you intend to build both Heaven's Halberd and Manta Style by disassembling this item.
- Satanic is not a very strong pickup on Chaos Knight, as illusions don't lifesteal, but it is an item that builds out of a Reaver and has armor, which does help make Chaos Knight tankier, so it would not be a terrible 6th item pickup.
- While Diffusal Blade offers only agility and intelligence to Chaos Knight, his illusions will also be given Feedback. Like Phantom Lancer, an army of Chaos Knights can deplete enemy's mana very quickly. Its active ability can also be used to ensure that enemies do not escape Chaos Knight's army after Reality Rift, if Chaos Bolt is unavailable.
- Having a Desolator might not look much on CK himself... but the armor reduction debuff that places upon the enemies allow his teammates or his illusions itself to quickly dispatch of.
- Buying an early Soul Ring will solve most of CK's mana problems.
- Depending on the situation, getting Vladmir's Offering over Satanic if survivability of Chaos Knight's illusion is your priority.
- While ganking in the early-mid game, use Reality Rift to get close to the enemy, then hit him once with your bonus damage and use Chaos Bolt to stun. If you're lucky, you could even get more than 2 hits while he's stunned.
- In most situations, max Chaos Bolt and Reality Rift first, since the critical damage from your Chaos Strike is negligible in the early game, and you won't have enough mana to summon the Phantasm(s) with your ultimate.
- Always activate your Armlet of Mordiggian before using your ultimate, since the illusions also gain bonuses from it.
- By buying a Sange & Yasha, you'll be able to disassemble it later and build a Heaven's Halberd and a Manta Style. You may buy the first item if you need more survivability, since it gives you more health, some evasion and a reliable disarm; buy Manta Style first if you farmed really well, and you wish to confuse your enemies even more. It grants you better stats, too.
- An Armlet of Mordiggan paired with a Helm of the Dominator/Satanic can make a very powerful combination, especially with attack speed and damage items.
- Chaos Strike's skill icon bears a similar appearance to a D20 dice, commonly used in table-top RPG games, where a full 20 usually results in a critical. This is representative of the chance that comes with the skill.
- Chaos Knight's lore and dialogue lines draw many references to the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.
 Update history
June 14, 2013 Patch
- Fixed Reality Rift bonus damage sometimes proccing multiple times if you attack more than once in 1.2 seconds.
November 30, 2012 Patch
October 25, 2012 Patch
- Updated vision values on these abilities: Unstable Concoction, Phantasm, Waveform, Storm Hammer, Mirror Image, Spirit Lance, Requiem of Souls, Spectral Dagger, Venomous Gale, Earthbind, Dream Coil, Shackleshot, Wall of Replica, Flamebreak, Deafening Blast, Ghost Ship.
June 20, 2012 Patch
- Reality Rift now puts the Chaos Knight behind his target.
- Fixed Chaos Knight having 2 extra armor.
June 14, 2012 Patch
- Added Chaos Knight, Phantom Assassin and Gyrocopter to Captain's Mode
- Fixed some bugs with the Illusion spawn positions with Phantasm.
- Fixed Reality Rift ignoring Linken's Sphere.
- Fixed getting stuck with your illusions sometimes.
June 11, 2012 Patch
 Balance changelog
- Chaos Bolt damage and stun values are now inversely related.
- Chaos Bolt's stun is no longer partially undodgeable (now a normal projectile with 1000 speed),
- Phantasm manacost reduced from 175/225/275 to 125/200/275.
- Phantasm cooldown reduced from 180/160/140 to 140.
- Base strength increased by 3.
- Chaos Bolt damage improved from 1-200 to 1-200/50-225/75-250/100-275.
- Chaos Bolt now has a floating text indicator for the damage done.
- Phantasm duration increased from 20 to 24.
- Reality Rift manacost increased from 50 to 70.
- Starting str decreased by 4 and increased base damage by 4 to keep it constant.
- Cast Point Improved.
- Reworked his Blink Strike.
- Phantasm cooldown decreased from 180 to 180/160/140.
- Improved Chaos Knight's cast point.
 See also